What is it in Nufinish that make it work? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What is it in Nufinish that make it work?

Wash-ar15
12-21-2009, 19:27
and can the results be duplicated with something else? My 223 been sitting in the new corn cob i got today for 5 hours. A little dissapointed in that its not as shiny as I thought it would be.

I was adding nu finish to my previous media with good results. Unfortunate I am out right now. Being a car guy also,I have rubbing compound and assorted polishes available.

Would these work as good as nu finish?

Colorado4Wheel
12-21-2009, 20:48
Rubbing Compound works. Paint thinner is as important if not more so in my experiance.

freakshow10mm
12-21-2009, 21:34
NuFinish has a trace of ammonia. Ammonia works well and is in most brass polishers.

Matt Berry
12-22-2009, 09:15
You might want to double check your info. Ammonia is not good to polish with and products with ammonia should not be used to polish your reloading brass. Ammonia weakens the brass and will cause it to fail / crack sooner. With that Nufinish does not contain ammonia

RustyFN
12-22-2009, 14:12
NuFinish has a trace of ammonia. Ammonia works well and is in most brass polishers.

According to the MSDS sheet for Nu Finish it does not contain ammonia.

Wash-ar15
12-22-2009, 16:12
Rubbing Compound works. Paint thinner is as important if not more so in my experiance.

what does the paint thinner do??

oldsoldier
12-22-2009, 16:23
I don't know about paint thinner but I do know a 50/50 mix of Nu-Finish and mineral spirits works great! The mineral spirits will help cut the powder residue inside the case. If you do try mineral spirits make sure to get the low odor stuff. You can experiment with the mix if you want. Some folks swear by a 75/25 Nu-Finish/mineral spirits.

PCJim
12-22-2009, 16:57
Paint thinner / mineral spirits is basically the same product. They work because they are petroleum based cleaning agents.

I use 2-3 tablespoons in my media (run for 10 minutes before adding brass!) and have been using the same walnut for probably well over 10K cases. Haven't yet changed the media, although it doesn't cost much to do so when you purchase it at Walmart.

Colorado4Wheel
12-22-2009, 17:07
I don't know but paint thinner really makes a difference. One time I put too much in and they came out real shinny. Media almost turned clumpy for about a hour but then it evaporated and was normal. I most have put a 1/4 cup in that time by mistake. In the end, outside of cases very clean looking, inside the same as always but no clumping either.

GLShooter
12-24-2009, 20:48
I don't know but paint thinner really makes a difference. One time I put too much in and they came out real shinny. Media almost turned clumpy for about a hour but then it evaporated and was normal. I most have put a 1/4 cup in that time by mistake. In the end, outside of cases very clean looking, inside the same as always but no clumping either.

The paint thiner knocks down the dust more than anything. I run walnut hulls and NuFinish and the cases look like a diamond in a billy goats butt!!

Greg

GioaJack
12-24-2009, 22:08
The paint thiner knocks down the dust more than anything. I run walnut hulls and NuFinish and the cases look like a diamond in a billy goats butt!!

Greg

That will certainly attract the ladies. :wow:

Jack

irishman001
12-25-2009, 21:43
So it only takes 2-3 tablespoons of Nufinish to polish. Do you need to add it to every batch or will it last for a couple of batches. I have been using the dryer sheets and man do they suck up the dirt, they are black when done so they are working.

RustyFN
12-25-2009, 21:52
So it only takes 2-3 tablespoons of Nufinish to polish. Do you need to add it to every batch or will it last for a couple of batches. I have been using the dryer sheets and man do they suck up the dirt, they are black when done so they are working.

I only add 1/2 cap full to every batch. That seems like plenty to me.

Myke_Hart
12-26-2009, 17:28
Nu-finish is made from the dust of ground fairy bones.

The stuff is magical.

A cap full in every load, does the trick every time. :supergrin:

ronterry
12-26-2009, 19:52
A lot of car polishes (NOT WAXES) work to the same level, however nu-finish is probably on the higher end of the abrasive scale. That and I agree on the fairy bone dust, and a pinch of love from the lady in the lake.

cysoto
12-27-2009, 16:08
+1

Nu Finish is basically made of a solvent and two abrasives but no ammonia.

http://www.primeautomotive.com/msds/nu_finish_wax_msds.pdf

irishman001
12-27-2009, 22:27
tried it last night and it works great. Will be adding a capfull to all batches from now on.

freakshow10mm
12-27-2009, 22:32
There is a trace. Below a certain percentage isn't reportable on the MSDS.

cysoto
12-28-2009, 12:26
Nowhere on the package nor the MSDS is there a claim of any trace of ammonia yet you insist that NH3 is to be found in Nu Finish. Where do you get your information from? :dunno:

ron59
12-28-2009, 13:30

I don't think so.....

Nu Finish is sold on amazon.com. In the listing for the product, it says:
"unlike household dishwasher or laundry detergents, it contains no alkalis or ammonia"

http://www.amazon.com/Nu-Finish-Care-Gift-Pack/dp/B000AS495Y

In fact, if you do a Google search of "nu finish ammonia", you'll get plenty of hits that specifically say "no ammonia".

RustyFN
01-07-2010, 19:53
I just wanted to follow up with everybody. I e-mailed Nu Finish to ask about amonia and this was their responce.

Dear Mr. XXXXX:
>
> Thank you for your interest in Nu Finish.
>
> Nu Finish does not contain ammonia.
>
> Very truly yours,
> S. Hopkins
> Consumer Relations Dept.
> Reed-Union Corporation
>

shotgunred
01-08-2010, 16:16
here is nu finish msds.
http://www.wd-wpp.com/msds2/000004a1.pdf

Myke_Hart
01-09-2010, 06:57
here is nu finish msds.
http://www.wd-wpp.com/msds2/000004a1.pdf

Why doesn't the material saftey sheet not mention the Ground Fairy bones.

I know its in there! I can feel it between my fingers! :embarassed:

shotgunred
01-09-2010, 09:32
Why doesn't the material saftey sheet not mention the Ground Fairy bones.

I know its in there! I can feel it between my fingers! :embarassed:

Because they are only required to list the hazardous stuff to humans.