Generation 4 Glock Q & A ONLY (Photos OK) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Generation 4 Glock Q & A ONLY (Photos OK)

Pages : [1] 2

matteblack
01-23-2009, 17:39
Having never handled one, educate me on this, do you have to use a tool or some type of gizmo to get it off to swap them out?

Sure, within the backstrap is a large pin that runs up the back strap that twists to lock and unlock. Its not the easiest thing to unlock it either as its a tight fit. Once you rotate the base of the pin it pulls out. Then you can pull the backstrap off. The backstraps are very snug, nothing loose feeling. They come with the medium size installed and the majority of people leave it that way. If you are satisfied with the grip of the Glock 17 then you would likly end up in the Medium camp. I prefer the small.

Try them out sometime, while Glock tops my list the M&P is second. :cool:

eringobragh
12-01-2009, 15:46
Just returned from the annual SWAT Round-Up in Orlando for the day. Glock was setup and had Dave Sevigny, Jesse Abbate, and Randi Rogers showing off the new 4th generation Glock. Asked Jesse if I could take a photo...she went and asked and was told NO!

The frame has a newer RTF pattern...not as many spikes/sharp as the current RTF. You get two additional back-straps with the pistol...without any back-straps installed you get what Jesse was calling the SF frame. Clip on the Medium back-strap and you have your standard tried and true Glock frame. Install the Large and you get the frame of the G20/G21 pistols. I was not very impressed with how the straps attach...looks like they would pop off really easy, but who knows.

Also new is a reversible magazine catch/release. Setup for right hand shooters you can use all the old magazines. Lefties will only be able to use new mags that will have double cut outs for the catch. I thought the new mag release looked hideous. Very large.

New as well is a double spring recoil guide rod assemble. Looks like a stretched out version of the G26/G27 recoil assemblies. Jesse claimed it reduces recoil.

Tomorrow they are going to let folks shoot them...unfortunately I will not be there.:crying:

tampashooters
12-01-2009, 17:44
Glock has been marketing the Gen 4 to police for a while, this is not the first time out in the wild. The Florida Highway Patrol has been testing the Gen 4 Glock 37 for months, and just signed on to go with them.

ucop27
12-02-2009, 04:16
since when did glock ever made drastic changes to the original design? glock is like a porsche, it will never stray away from the original design.

FWIW the Gen 4 parts will not work on Gen 3 or 2 guns. IE- Gen 4 G22 slide barrel combo will not fit onto a Gen 3 G22. This was told to me yesterday during my Armorer recert class.

HexHead
12-02-2009, 08:32
FWIW the Gen 4 parts will not work on Gen 3 or 2 guns. IE- Gen 4 G22 slide barrel combo will not fit onto a Gen 3 G22. This was told to me yesterday during my Armorer recert class.

So much for my wondering if the recoil spring assembly was going to be backwards compatible?

Hero
12-02-2009, 08:34
Hey eringobragh (OP),

Did the 4th gen that you handled have fingergrooves or was it a flat front strap?

mr smithglock
12-02-2009, 09:00
Hey eringobragh (OP),

Did the 4th gen that you handled have fingergrooves or was it a flat front strap?

great ? thats what i want to know.

HexHead
12-02-2009, 10:16
I saw a rumor on another forum that with the 4th gen., they were going to do away with needing to pull the trigger to field strip it. I'm assuming this is bogus since it would require a major redesign. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Hero
12-02-2009, 10:38
Hey eringobragh (OP),

I just want to bring this important question forward to the fourth page.

eringobragh
12-02-2009, 17:55
I just want to bring this important question forward to the fourth page.

Sorry for the delay...busy day!
Yes it still has fingergrooves...they're RTF'd.

Jaybo510
12-02-2009, 18:56
What about the slide? Any big changes?

brigade101
12-02-2009, 18:59
So how does the new grips attach exactly ?

Hero
12-03-2009, 03:11
Sorry for the delay...busy day!
Yes it still has fingergrooves...they're RTF'd.

Thanks!

eringobragh
12-03-2009, 05:44
What about the slide? Any big changes?

No changes that were visible. Looked like standard run of the mill G22 slide.

eringobragh
12-03-2009, 05:50
So how does the new grips attach exactly ?

Just a pressure fit. I would have thought they would have utilized the trigger housing pin to retain it. I'm hoping what we saw at SWAT wasn't a production model and the final product willl have a more secure method of retaining the back-straps!?!?

eringobragh
12-03-2009, 18:49
Hmmm, rather hoping it will have a more secure method too.
How would you estimate the grip size reduction to current Glocks ? Noticeable by look only or would you need to hold one to tell a difference ?

From the SF grip with no additional back-strap installed to the medium standard Glock back-strap installed, in my hands felt almost negligible. If you had very small hands I suppose it would make a difference. I didn't even bother with the large back-strap.

John Hollister
12-03-2009, 19:44
Hey guys, I've got a grand idea!

Let's all get hot and bothered and pissed off at Glock because of an UNCOMFIRMED story posted on THE INTERNET by somebody. Furthermore, we should ALL assume that this prototype/pre-release model that this guy is describing WILL be the final production model and that no further changes will be made! Yeah! That sounds logical!

I mean Jesus Christ guys... :upeyes::upeyes::upeyes::upeyes:

I handled and shot the smae Fourth Gen pistol that eringobragh did

Let me first say that eringobragh has no reason to lie and I'll tell ya that I know him and know he is as big a Glock Fag . . . ok, Glock FAN as there is out there. He isn't trying to run Glock down.

He is correct about almost all of his impressions

Just a pressure fit. I would have thought they would have utilized the trigger housing pin to retain it. I'm hoping what we saw at SWAT wasn't a production model and the final product willl have a more secure method of retaining the back-straps!?!?

He is wrong about this. More in a bit

The Fourth Gen Glocks will be introduced in a matter of weeks to the public . . . at SHOT Show.

As to this being a Proto and not being a final production pistol, you could be right, but not from what the Reps were saysing and not from what I saw.

This was not a Rapid Prototyped mock up. This was a working, shooting, handling pistol and it is not the only one. I shot it and watched while a line of folks handled/shot it.

Could things change? Sure, but I'd be very surprised if it is changed in the next five weeks.

In my opinion, I hope they change a few things based on feedback and "fix" it before it goes into full production, but based on Glocks history, I doubt it. It looks set in stone to me.

There are four main changes with the 4th gen and one minor one I saw, but don't know what it is for.

1) The magazine release. As has been described, it is now a reversible release. I asked about the previous "ambi" release and the change to all the magazines over the last couple of years and was told that the Ambi release has been shown to have been a mistake and is now a dead issue.

The "pad" of the new reversible release is larger in surface area.

The magazines for the new "Rev Release" has cuts on both sides of the magazine and are mirror images of each other. You can use all the old magazines if you keep the release on the left side of the pistol, but if you reverse it, you need the as yet to be released double release cut magazines. The new pistols will of course have the double cut magazines. No word if all new magazines will have the cuts, but based on Glocks history, I wold say with confidence that I expect that.

2) The 4th generation pistols will have a double spring recoil assembly, as described by eringobragh, it is a longer version of the G26/G27 spring.

It will not be designed to retrofit the older generations of pistols. The ring in the front of the slide is a larger diameter to accommodate the new assembly.

I've actually been asking for this for years. The double spring system works amazingly well and in actually shooting the 4th Gen G22 they had on hand, I can tell you that is sucks up a lot of the "bite" of the .40S&W transferred to the shooter via the grip. It felt kinda like shooting "+P" in a G17, maybe a little snapper, but not much.

If there is a 4th Generation G18C . . . look the hell out :D

3) The RTF texture on the 4th Gen pistol I examined is like a 1/2 texture RTF. As I like to carry IWB, I don't think this is really for me.

4) The main change of the 4th Gen is the interchangeable back straps.

As this is a Glock Forum, it should be a pretty easy thing for folks to wrap their head around. All 4th gen will be "SF". Meaning that the distance between the face of the trigger and the back strap is shorter. They do this by "under cutting" the back strap.

There will be two additional "add-a-straps" for the smaller framed pistols. I did not ask about the larger frames, but I ASSUME there will be one.

If you carry the pistol with no add-on, you have an "SF", small grip.

Add the smaller one, you have the traditional G17/G22/ect feel. Add the larger and you make you 9mm/40/357 feel like a G21

Where eringobragh got it wrong is that it's not just a whimpy snap on addition. The pistol will come with the two additional back straps and a longer back pin. To add a backstrap, you push out the rear pin, add the strap, which locks at the bottom and add the longer pin to hold the strap in place.

Personally, as an "SF", I didn't feel any difference (and I have smaller hands. They are very "Manly", just smaller then average :D), but you could feel a change adding the smaller add-a-strap. Not a big change and not worth the change, in my humble opion

The 4th Gen pistol looks pretty much identical to the 3rd Gen. One give-a-way is that the rear pin holes in the frame are larger and countersunk half moons.

The small change is on the inside. Pulling the slide off there is an as yet unexplained change in the frame. At the rear, on the left there is a hole in the frame. It's vertical and I doubt it's for "weight savings". Just so we know I know what a Glock frame looks like, I've been a Glock Armorer since the late 80's, have been through the "Advanced Armorer" and work on Glocks pretty much daily

the 4th Generation, I was told, is an OPTION. They will continue to offer the 3rd Gen pistols and you can have the 4th Gen if you like. Probably the best feature so far

In five or six weeks you'll be able to get all this directly from Glock and the Gun Press. Until then, feel free to consider it Internet Rumor. Don't care

eringobragh
12-03-2009, 19:58
Where eringobragh got it wrong is that it's not just a whimpy snap on addition. The pistol will come with the two additional back straps and a longer back pin. To add a backstrap, you push out the rear pin, add the strap, which locks at the bottom and add the longer pin to hold the strap in place.

Ah So! Jesse must have left the pin out for ease of demonstration! That makes more sense now. The booth was kinda swamped when I was there...she may have mentioned the pin and I did not hear her.

Thanks for dropping in...I was hoping you or Mr. Ross would show up here!

P.S. Yes your freakishly small hands are manly! Need a pic of you with a Wendy's Stack Attack burger! :tongueout:

Crest77
12-03-2009, 21:44
I was at a shop on Monday. The salesman confirmed that these (4th gen with straps) are coming out because he saw them on his order page on his distributors website. He told me that they were about $30 more than the standard Glocks.

FJR
12-04-2009, 00:15
I handled and shot the same Fourth Gen pistol that eringobragh did

Hey John,

What ammo did you shoot through the Gen 4 gun?

Did it have a light attached? If so, which make/model?

Did any issues crop up reliability wise?

Thanks in advance,

FJR

Hero
12-04-2009, 05:49
I handled and shot the smae Fourth Gen pistol that eringobragh did

...snip...

Thank you very much for this informative post. I appreciate it. :)

Chevytruckin98
12-04-2009, 08:35
Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts

Did the grip angle change much?

What were the backstraps made out of? Rubber?

3rdgen40
12-04-2009, 09:11
Anyone know if 9mm's will have the dual recoil spring or just the 40's ?

Deadduck357
12-04-2009, 16:19
John Hollister,

Would you say the texture on the NEW 4th Gens is close to the RTF 3 ?
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/glock-rtf.jpg

eringobragh
12-04-2009, 20:05
John Hollister,

I thought it was somewhat close. The spikes are more spread apart and not as sharp as the standard RTF.

556A2
12-04-2009, 20:58
the 4th Generation, I was told, is an OPTION. They will continue to offer the 3rd Gen pistols and you can have the 4th Gen if you like. Probably the best feature so far

I think Glock was really smart doing this. Not everyone likes new designs, and will at least keep both parties happy.

ilgunguygt
12-04-2009, 22:32
Maybe it was mentioned in this thread, and I missed it, but will the older slides work on the new frame? Thats a big one I think.

John Hollister
12-05-2009, 05:58
Hey John,

What ammo did you shoot through the Gen 4 gun?

Did it have a light attached? If so, which make/model?

Did any issues crop up reliability wise?

Thanks in advance,

FJR

Ammo was Glock provided Blaser

No light

100% reliable

John Hollister
12-05-2009, 05:59
Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts

What were the backstraps made out of? Rubber?

No change to grip angle at all. All Glock

"Polymer", same as the frame

eringobragh

I thought I overheard that the dual recoil assembly was for the G22 which was having issues when a weapon mounted light was present.

John Hollister

Yes. All 4th Gen will have the new Spring System

John Hollister
12-05-2009, 06:00
John Hollister,

I'd say it's about half the texture of the RTF. As Tom said, it's got the nubs, but fewer of them

John Hollister
12-05-2009, 06:01
Maybe it was mentioned in this thread, and I missed it, but will the older slides work on the new frame? Thats a big one I think.

There was no mention that they would not, but that's obviously not something that comes up in random conversation. Wouldn't see why it wouldn't

gatorboy
12-05-2009, 10:51
Yes. All 4th Gen will have the new Spring System

Is it like the mini Glock recoil assembly's? If so the muzzle's must have had the recoil rod holes enlarged also or can you use the new recoil assembly's in the older generation Glocks?

One more question: Did the 4th gen 22 have the half moon cut in the front of the grip or is it gone like on the FS RTF's? Thanks for all the info.

BuckyP
12-05-2009, 10:55
Exactly. One reason I bought a Glock is that everything is simple and most parts interchangeable. I'm a lefty and have trained to use a right-handed gun, so a ambidextrous mag release doesn't interest me, especially if I can't use certain magazines!

I think the reversible mag catch is a better idea than the ambi. If nothing else, (as explained here) you can use the older mags as long as you don't reverse the catch.

John Hollister
12-06-2009, 19:40
Is it like the mini Glock recoil assembly's? If so the muzzle's must have had the recoil rod holes enlarged also or can you use the new recoil assembly's in the older generation Glocks?

Quote John Hollister, Post #109

2) The 4th generation pistols will have a double spring recoil assembly, as described by eringobragh, it is a longer version of the G26/G27 spring.

It will not be designed to retrofit the older generations of pistols. The ring in the front of the slide is a larger diameter to accommodate the new assembly.

I've actually been asking for this for years. The double spring system works amazingly well and in actually shooting the 4th Gen G22 they had on hand, I can tell you that is sucks up a lot of the "bite" of the .40S&W transferred to the shooter via the grip. It felt kinda like shooting "+P" in a G17, maybe a little snapper, but not much.

One more question: Did the 4th gen 22 have the half moon cut in the front of the grip or is it gone like on the FS RTF's? Thanks for all the info.

No. The pad is flat and slightly wider/longer.

Tall Pine
12-07-2009, 20:38
The only complaint I ever had about the glock's design was the serrations on the slide because my hands have slipped when handling the slide before, so I'm glad that they changed that up for the 4th generation models. I would actually have to hold one before I can say anything about the new grip, but I am pretty much fine with how they are now.

Check that jhmayhem. The gen 4 looks to be going back to the straight serrations, so says all that have handled the gen 4. Only the gen 3 RTF2 "option" looks like it will have the fish scale looking serrations.

ilgunguygt
12-08-2009, 13:55
If the slides are interchangeable I would buy a bunch of new slides for my old guns.
:honkie:

What am I saying???

I'll just buy a bunch more new Glocks!!!
The reason I asked isnt for the new slides to old frames, the other way around. If the new grip is better than the old one, some people may want to change frames. What I wonder though, is if the grip and internal parts wont interchange, the is a good chance the slide wouldnt either. Maybe it will fit the rails, but it would be an easy possibility that the parts interacting with the frame mounted internals wouldnt work together.

Blacknes
12-09-2009, 19:46
Glock Generation 4 pricing will be the same as older models. The G22's and G17's are the first to be produced,available in January. There will be no olive drabs available.

Blacknes
12-09-2009, 21:32
The information for the pricing on the guns is on the new price listing available through GSSF or Amorer program. The prices are listed,There was no change for either gun,you can still order the Gen 3 models. It list on the price sheet that there is not availability on the olive drab at this time. I do have a price sheet in hand.

Motown Fire
12-09-2009, 21:42
The information for the pricing on the guns is on the new price listing available through GSSF or Amorer program. The prices are listed,There was no change for either gun,you can still order the Gen 3 models. It list on the price sheet that there is not availability on the olive drab at this time. I do have a price sheet in hand.

Like the price sheet that I posted ??? :whistling:

Flipz
12-10-2009, 11:34
Im pretty sure they are including the disassembly tool becuase it is most likely needed to remove the interchangable backstraps.

american lockpicker
12-10-2009, 12:05
Where will the frame be made?

GS19classified
12-10-2009, 14:34
Here is more proof that GEN 4 is coming . . . I have the new price sheet for Individual Officers and I have pointed out the GEN 4 on the image . . .

http://lsandwick.com/images/glockGen4.jpg

austinguy23
12-10-2009, 17:21
Were the only cosmetic differences the grip texture and the interchangeable grips? Did the detachable grips make it look cheap/goofy?

eringobragh
12-10-2009, 18:34
Were the only cosmetic differences the grip texture and the interchangeable grips? Did the detachable grips make it look cheap/goofy?

I don't think it looked cheap or goofy at all. If one was just casually glancing over the table it would look like a current RTF with standard serrations. Once you looked closer you'd notice the RTF texture is different and that it had additional back-straps and that the mag release/catch was new.

The pistol felt fine...heck, although subtle, it felt good in SF configuration (no back-straps installed). It just doesn't scratch any itch that I have. I'll stick with the 3rd Gens...especially for carry. I think the RTF would shred my spare tire!

Delcorbett
12-11-2009, 13:03
My local gun shop(charlies armory) has a link to davidson's gun site.

New glock 17 4th gen with 3 magazines, Reversible mag catch, and interchangable backstraps for 564.95, 615.47 with night sights, none in stick of coarse.

http://www.davidsonsinc.com/consumers/subsites/inven_product.asp?dealer_id=375637&item=PG-17502-03&instock=all&manufact_combo=Glock&mod_ser_combo=17&category_combo=None&model=17&g_type=Semi-Automatic+Pistol&act_type=&finish_type=None&calib_combo=9MM&sight_class_combo=None&price_range=None&left_handed=&youth=&Offset_rec=0&num_rec=50&item_num=

FloridaCCW
12-16-2009, 20:34
Gen 3's are not being discontinued. They will still be made when the Gen 4's come out.

ajjacks916
12-17-2009, 12:57
Pulled from another thread and AR15.com

eringobragh
12-17-2009, 15:47
Pulled from another thread and AR15.com

Yep. That's it.
Looks like the same add from the SWAT Round Up...they had the pistol on the table with the add on an eisle.

Chainlink
12-18-2009, 12:05
Any word if the Gen4(Back straps) will affect the baby glocks?

happyguy
12-18-2009, 16:03
Just going by the picture I think the Gen 4 is definitely a step in the right direction and if the dual recoil spring setup proves reliable and soaks up the recoil like the H&K system you can count me in.

Edited to add: Hooray! I just realized it doesn't have an extended slide stop lever. Hooray!

:perfect10::bluesbrothers:

I want one in G19 flavor.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

voyager4520
12-18-2009, 16:22
About the compatibility and the slide saying "Gen 4", the Gen4 slide will obviously require use of the Gen4 recoil assembly/guide rod because of the larger hole in the slide for it. Also, the cut-out in the barrel lug that the guide rod fits into will have to be wider for the new guide rod, so the Gen4 slide must be used with the Gen4 recoil assembly and barrel.

I'm interested in how the backstraps attach. Glock doesn't want regular users to do anything internally with the pistol, so I doubt that removing the trigger housing pin would have anything to do with attachment of the backstraps. From the picture, it looks like the area around the trigger housing pin is raised so that the backstraps just click over it. It also looks like before the backstrap clicks over that raised button, it hooks over the bottom of the existing backstrap so that it's attached top and bottom.

AgentAdam
12-19-2009, 03:30
Someone already stated there is an extended connector block pin for the additional back straps. The rear pin even looks beefed up as in larger ,and maybe even steel, compared to the small plastic pin of the gen 3. If you pushed rear pin out with the extra pin the internals would stay intact.

The space around the rear pin is probably sunk with the bumped up part being on the inside of the backstraps.

The sights seem taller. The barrel end, guide rod tip,and sights look super imposed on the pic.

knight601
12-19-2009, 11:28
Recently saw a few pictures of the new Gen4 and got some info. The mag release is larger which is good but, I hope it doesn't interfere with current model holsters. (hopefully they thought about that) The captured steel double spring guide rod is nice, maybe less recoil too? The interchangable backstraps are all curved. I was told because Mr.Glock said "The backstrap is supposed to be curved". For flat backstrap fans, I'm sure an aftermarket company will make a flat backstrap. The grip texturing will be good, in between the old style and the RTF2. There will be an even newer mag design for the new reversible mag release with a relief cut on the right side of the mag tube.(3 cuts on the tube). Also heard the ambi mag release on the G21SF is going to be phased out. The first release is the 17&22, then 19&23. I'm waiting on the 21 to buy as a duty gun.

knight601
12-19-2009, 12:02
The the older mags will work fine if you have the mag release set up for a right handed shooter.

Glocked2223
12-23-2009, 22:17
So the news is glock will now include a double recoil spring in all their new gen 4 models. I wonder how much of a difference the felt recoil will be in the .40. We all know that round is snappy and for some can beat up a shooters hand after many shots fired. If the double recoil springs will reduce the recoil the g17 will probably be really smooth the shoot. Anyone here know first hand how it shoots?

AgentAdam
12-24-2009, 06:42
I doubt a solid steel guide rod would "solve the problem" with weapon mounted lights. I would rather have a glock that will still function when the guide rod melted and flew out after 1000 rounds than a steel one bent,cracked and jammed up.

The new guide rods are still polymer, or at least a hybrid and still allows flex. Just look at you 26,27,33 recoil assembly. The main shaft is polymer with a steel tube over the last half to guide the larger spring. I think the double recoil spring is more of a cycle rate/recoil issue and the guide rod is just the aftermath of it.

Lots of companies are going over to the captured polymer recoil rod like the Beretta 90-Two.

unit1069
12-24-2009, 07:39
And the new Glock dual spring recoil assemblies will drop right into earlier generation models?

JBP55
12-24-2009, 07:45
And the new Glock dual spring recoil assemblies will drop right into earlier generation models?

Not according to what has been stated, the OD is larger on the front.
I am repeating what I have read, I have not measured one.

BadAndy
12-24-2009, 07:47

Doubtful.

If you want a dual spring set up for compact or full size, check these out http://www.theshootersbox.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=93&products_id=976

Noponer
12-24-2009, 07:58

No.

Look at the photos in this post in this forum...

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1161765

The new spring requires a larger hole. The new slides are marked "G22 Gen 4". Frames & slide are different. I wonder about the barrel.

Madmax1010
12-24-2009, 08:21
:wavey:

Does any one know yet if the double recoils spring set up will be in all the new glocks or just the compact and mid size?:dunno:

j-glock22
12-24-2009, 08:24
I don't think any amount of springs or variations are going to reduce the recoil of the gun no matter what. Laws of physics apply every time. I'm sure there are other reasons why Glock is using the Dual Spring system on the Gen4 frames. BTW, the polymer rods are just fine. Watch the 1000rd in 15 minutes torture test. somewhere around 900 rds the guide rod finally gave it up only because it melted, BUT the gun KEPT FIRING to the last bullet left the barrel! I've never had to replace a rod, and I don't recommend the metal rod for a metal spring, you're just asking for trouble and more $$$ to spend replacing them again and again.

AgentAdam
12-24-2009, 08:27
Supposedly all gen4 will have the dual setup. The only pic out is of the full size 22 with one.

KenBGlock19
12-24-2009, 08:36
There is nothing crappy about the polymer guide rods. The only purpose of the guide rod is to guide the spring, period. Nothing crappy about Glock polymer frames either.

+1000

They did remedy a slight issue by reinforcing the old polymer rods with some glass-reinforced nylon material, or something like that. I've had ZERO problems with all of mine after thousands of rounds.

1-2man
12-24-2009, 08:48
Let's see the pic.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1161765

Post #18

LT642
12-24-2009, 11:36
Does anybody know if the interchanageable backstraps on the gen 4 Glocks are going to be optional like the RTF Glocks, or if it will be standard??

MarkCO
12-24-2009, 12:02
Gen 4 itself is an option, on the 17 and 22 only so far. Gen 3s will continue to be made. If you get a Gen 4, it will come with changeable backstraps.

Glockwork Orange
12-24-2009, 15:23
Since I wasn't allowed to photograph the Gen 4 G22 my Dept was testing, this might work just as well.....

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/12/25/glock-gen4-unveiled/

Best part is that's my local gunstore!

The Pusherman
12-24-2009, 15:38
since I wasn't allowed to photograph the Gen 4 G22 my Dept was testing, this might work just as well.....

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...gen4-unveiled/

Best part is that's my local gunstore

i read that article-what a load. glock isn't going to cease production of the gen 3's as they are prob the most popular guns in the world.

plus the article mentions the dual recoil spring is for reliability-nope, it's to reduce recoil. glocks are already reliable.

the article also mentions a $700 MSRP-you can look at a glock order form, the gen 4's are the same price as the current glocks.

this article is totally off...

jack76590
12-26-2009, 01:49
Not according to what has been stated, the OD is larger on the front.
I am repeating what I have read, I have not measured one.

If it is only the front of slide that is different, it should be easy for glock to retrofit old slides to take new recoil spring. This is potential solution to some of the problems with G22s and G23s, especially when used with lights.

Also the slide alone can be sent regular mail, so would not have the high postage costs.

9mmdude
12-26-2009, 17:36
Does the Gen 4 Glock 22 use the same barrel as the Gen 3, so a barrel swap would work with existing Glock 31 Barrels?

thegriz18
12-27-2009, 11:49
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs153.snc3/18069_213184461588_147550831588_3253677_4139904_n.jpg

Do they all have swappable back straps now? What other changes have been made to the 4th Gens?

FloridaCCW
12-27-2009, 13:18
Double recoil springs like the subcompacts and mag release changes.

tlhfirelion
12-28-2009, 09:54
howdy guys, long time reader, first time poster. :) I never bought a glock because it felt bad in my hands, it felt too thick which I know has been discussed at length on this and other boards. I was leaning towards the sig's as I like their feel MUCH better, but I know glock is an outstanding gun with a proven track record so I am researching the gen 4. My question is this;

As I look for info on the 4th generation of 9mm, I cannot find the specs on the grip size, specifically the width from side to side and front to back. I held a subcompact 9mm yesterday (2nd or 3 gen I don't know) and even that felt rather "bulky" in my hand. Not being a glock afficianado, will the gen 4 be smaller than this with the new backstrap system or no? Is the option of having NO backstrap on to further reduce the grip size an option, or will there just be an opening on the back of the grip? I've read about SF which I assume means Small Frame correct?

Thank you in advance for any help you are able to provide and have a good day.

JBP55
12-28-2009, 11:26
The Gen.4 Glock will have an option to make the receiver grip slightly smaller front to rear only. The height and width will not change.

Tall Pine
12-28-2009, 11:44
As I look for info on the 4th generation of 9mm, I cannot find the specs on the grip size, specifically the width from side to side and front to back.

The way I read it from those that held the gen4 is that the standard Gen4 G17 grip without any of the backstraps installed will be the equivelent of a SF grip, even though there is no SF grip for the 9mms. So I interpret that to mean that the stock gen4 grip with no backstraps will be 3mm shorter from front to back than what the G17 grip is now. Most people notice the decrease in the trigger reach, i.e. how much finger will rest on the trigger. Short fingers/small hands might like the possibilities here.

Installing the "small" backstrap is thought to be bringing the grip back to what the G17 grip is now.

Installing the "large" backstrap is thought to be bringing the grip to equal the larger frame 10mms and 45s full size grips (ie slightly bigger than what the G17 is now).

Thats about all the rumour I can contribute. :cool:

You can look on Glock website to get most of these dimensions on these various current models.

TEX
12-28-2009, 14:38
Any of you better informed insiders have any idea of whether this will be offered in OD? Its a shame someparts won't be interchangable. Any other internal parts changes (improvements) you folks know of? I lik ethe new texture from what I have seen, but maily because it will make hand stippling easier.

AmeriGlo
12-28-2009, 18:03
Installing the "small" backstrap is thought to be .........

Tall Pine,

The Gen 4 comes standard as 'small'. The 'small' is permanent. You can add a 'medium' or 'large' backstrap on top of the factory small.

I put on my medium backstrap in about 30 seconds today. Disassemble tool included works OK. The tool is used to drift out the housing pin (and to put in the replacement pin).

LongGoneDays
12-28-2009, 19:34
So will existing Lasermax products work in the new Gen4?

Landmonster
12-29-2009, 10:50
When will the 4th generation Glocks be released?

Will they have the rough frame + old style slide, or the slide with the fish gills?

BadAndy
12-29-2009, 11:13
RTF3 and old style slide. But you would know that if you saw and read the sticky at the top of this forum...or any number of 4th gen threads that are posted here.

JBP55
12-29-2009, 13:02
So will existing Lasermax products work in the new Gen4?

Are all Lasermax products installed in the recoil system on Glocks? If so they will not work on the Gen. 4 as it has a different recoil system.

Spreadfire Arms
12-29-2009, 16:00
i just physically picked up a new Glock Gen 4 today. it does not appear to be Laser Max compatible as it has a similar recoil spring system to the mini-Glocks.

it has different stippling than the RTF and the Gen 3. the slides are marked "Gen 4." has a lower profile magazine release which can be switched to the other side for lefties. magazines are slightly different in the fact that the cutout where the mag seats into the magazine catch is metal lined.

of course there are the two additional backstraps. as it has been explained to me the original backstrap is the same as the short frame (SF), the medium backstrap is the standard grip on the Gen 2/3 Glock 17/22, and the fat backstrap is the same as the Glock 20/21.

from my understanding these pistols are only currently being made for the full size .40.

MikeinCincy
12-29-2009, 16:15
Has anybody heard when the 4th Gen Baby Glocks will be available? I have been itching to get the G27 and am about to buy one but am wondering if I should wait until the 4th Gen's come out. I don't want to wait too long, though.

Tall Pine
12-29-2009, 19:52
Tall Pine,

The Gen 4 comes standard as 'small'. The 'small' is permanent. You can add a 'medium' or 'large' backstrap on top of the factory small.

I put on my medium backstrap in about 30 seconds today. Disassemble tool included works OK. The tool is used to drift out the housing pin (and to put in the replacement pin).

I agree and thats what I explained in my post. I used the term small backstrap were you used the term medium backstrap.

With no backstraps, the grip is said to be smaller than it is now, like an SF frame would be to a G30. Adding the medium (or as I wrote "small") backstrap would bring the grip equal to what it is now. So in essence the Gen 4 should yield a grip size smaller, the same, and larger than what the grip is now on the G17 & G22.

weagle
12-29-2009, 22:09
More Pictures:

Backstrap addition is held in place by hooking into the bottom of the frame, snapping into the groves on both side of the backstrap and then secured at the top with the frame pin.

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs175.snc3/20269_222620031588_147550831588_3302679_4263488_n.jpg

New recoil spring assembly. It will not fit the Gen 3 and older versions.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs195.snc3/20269_222620046588_147550831588_3302680_5200888_n.jpg

Fuzzy pic looking down in the mag well. I'll get a better pic soon.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs195.snc3/20269_222620056588_147550831588_3302681_5799137_n.jpg

"MBS" molded into the right side of the frame.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs195.snc3/20269_222620061588_147550831588_3302682_3884480_n.jpg

The reaction to this pistol has been nearly 100% positive. Most people really like the feel of the new RTF III frame and love the new mag release.

Weagle

Deadduck357
12-29-2009, 22:24
Sorry if I missed it somewhere, But what does MBS stand for ?

Chevy327
12-29-2009, 22:29
It's got to be "multiple back straps".

austinguy23
12-29-2009, 22:57
If thats it, couldn't they just have put 'Gen4'

A simple roman numeral would have been an elegant marking - "IV". That goes for the slide as well.

Deadduck357
12-30-2009, 03:07
A simple roman numeral would have been an elegant marking - "IV". That goes for the slide as well.

even better ^

DannyR
12-30-2009, 17:37
Attached are several actual photos. I cannot identify the aftermarket sights until after the Shot Show.

DannyR
12-30-2009, 17:39
Additional photo

DannyR
12-30-2009, 17:42
The beautiful photos are not mine, but I did recieve permission from the photographer to post them on GlockTalk.

Scared_of_zombies
12-30-2009, 17:56
is that a new finish? it looks like it will finger print up pretty easily.

DannyR
12-30-2009, 17:56
The front sight is an AmeriGlo prototype. The rear is an AmeriGlo Pro Op w/yellow tubes. The green tool has an aluminum handle and is a 3/32” Pin Punch tool presently sold by AmeriGlo.

Fire_Medic
12-30-2009, 17:58
The front sight is an AmeriGlo prototype. The rear is an AmeriGlo Pro Op w/yellow tubes. The green tool has an aluminum handle and is a 3/32” Pin Punch tool presently sold by AmeriGlo.

Looks like a non squared Pro Glo front............:supergrin:

bigleaf
12-30-2009, 18:06
I'll bite. Just what is that extra piece on the backstrap?

faawrenchbndr
12-30-2009, 18:09
I'll bite. Just what is that extra piece on the backstrap?

It's a removable back strap. Three sizes kinda like the S&W.

DannyR
12-30-2009, 18:09
The Gen 4 comes as a Short Frame (SF) grip, along with two attachments, one to enlarge it to standard size and one for larger than standard. I will be using neither attachment with my new G17.

faawrenchbndr
12-30-2009, 18:29
Wise men try something before either praising or condemning it.:whistling:

Danny'

Can you confirm or deny if there is a lip ot a ledge at the top of the
backstrap as it appears in the third picture? It almost looks as if the
backstrap is not flush. Any ideas?

Thanks

Butch
12-30-2009, 19:05
Danny!

Tell us about the mag catch.....is it similar to the original type catch? A polymer catch with the single wire type straight spring?

Have you heard any reasoning behind the switch to the double recoil spring system? Why did they make the change?

the iceman
12-30-2009, 19:20
Additional photo

So that last picture, #5...is that the same pattern on the inside as it is on the outside? Would that mean you could use it without any of the backstraps?

coal
12-30-2009, 19:44
More from other posts:
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac283/got15plus1/glock1.jpg
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs133.snc3/18069_213784001588_147550831588_3256284_1021230_n.jpg

More pics: Ed's Public Safety Facebok page. (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=134778&id=147550831588)

weagle
12-30-2009, 22:44
Gen 4 trigger group on the left and Gen 3 on the right. Note the more pointed shape of the bottom of the housing on the Gen 4.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs195.snc3/20269_224206886588_147550831588_3310213_2395446_n.jpg

weagle
12-30-2009, 22:49
Gen 4 mag catch. It has the same cutout on the top and bottom, so you just take it out (it's held in place by a single wire type straight spring, like the gen 3) flip it over, reinsert from the other side and pop the spring back in the slot.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs195.snc3/20269_224209616588_147550831588_3310284_5355858_n.jpg

weagle
12-30-2009, 22:52
Medium backstap installed. It is a very tight fit and there is no play, but I haven't shot it with the M backstrap in place. Note the paperwork says "Modular backstrap" so that's what the "MBS" on the frame denotes.

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs195.snc3/20269_224209626588_147550831588_3310286_1210487_n.jpg

weagle
12-30-2009, 22:54
Gen 4 mag with cutouts on both sides for the reversible mag catch. Works fine with the Gen 3 guns.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs195.snc3/20269_224209631588_147550831588_3310287_6118912_n.jpg

weagle
12-30-2009, 22:55
Gen 4 feed lips and follower

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs175.snc3/20269_224209651588_147550831588_3310288_8028529_n.jpg

DannyR
12-30-2009, 23:49
According to my most trusted friend:

"Saw some folks were asking about the backstrap. It measures approx .040"
thick and is not flush. I put 500 rounds through it tonight and the
backstrap was never an issue. I do not think it not being flush will be an
issue due to its length."

I consider the new recoil spring as Glock's attempt to achieve perfection is a recoil spring assembly. I would guess the dual spring would act like a variable spring, both strong enough at the end of slide travel to reduce felt recoil, while light enough for quicker slide return, thereby reducing muzzle flip. Those that have tried the new G22 really like it.

Personally, I will be using my new G17 Gen 4 without any extra backstrap, so it's a not-issue with me.

S. Kelly
12-31-2009, 18:18
People who shot the 4th gen G22 at my Dept range thought it was great, except the M&P guy who's pulling for M&Ps as issue. I hope like hell we get these new G22s, or better yet, G21SFs in 4th gen trim.

The Pusherman
12-31-2009, 18:33
People who shot the 4th gen G22 at my Dept range thought it was great, except the M&P guy who's pulling for M&Ps as issue. I hope like hell we get these new G22s, or better yet, G21SFs in 4th gen trim.

didn't boston pd just adopt the m&p??

if so, i don't think they'll be switching anytime soon, dude.

glockon1
01-01-2010, 12:34
I've purchased the Glock 22 Gen 4 and have fired it at the range with spectacular results. I want to say a big thank you to Don Anderson at Ed's Public Safety in Stockbridge, GA. He and his staff are very friendly and knowledgable. When I ordered my gun it was delivered at my local dealer the next day here in North Carolina. At the range I shot 500 rounds using a combination of Federal 180 grain FMJFN and Speer Gold Dot 155 grain HP, no matter the grain I shot within 2" of target at mainly two distances 5 feet & 7 feet. At 10 feet I was within 3" of target. These were averages, yes there was the occasional outlier. At 20 feet I struggled, where my pattern was more to the left and 6" to 7" from bullseye. I give it user error not gun error. However, I do hit bullseye pattern at 20 feet with my 22C or compensator. I still feel less recoil on my 22C than on the new Gen 4, but let me add it is a significant difference over the Gen 3 models. The double coil system on the Gen 4 system is similar to the H&K, its a great improvement on muzzle flip. Now, a real significant improvement is its "pointing" ability. I no longer have to adjust my sights up or down it feels natural and aligned when I simply aim. I believe the customized backstrap helps with the target acquisition. Also, its extremely easy to change. It comes with a tool that you push the pin in or out to change back straps. No place to keep the pin though, I'm sure an after market product will come-out to hold the pin in a plug like the ones found in the M&P's with their changeable back-straps. I noticed too that internally the block is beefier and their is less flex on the frame than older models. The mag release is very smooth to operate. Glock has done it right with the new Gen4. I would highly recommend this weapon with its advanced features.

austinguy23
01-01-2010, 22:14
I can't wait to see a review from someone who has problems with their Gen 3 22/23 jamming when a light is attached. Attach the same light to the new Gen 4 and see if it jams with the same ammo...that would be interesting.

korgs130
01-02-2010, 11:10
Will the Glock Extended Slide Release (part #SP07496) work with the G22 Gen 4? Thanks!

2nd2none
01-03-2010, 12:45
Will the Glock Extended Slide Release (part #SP07496) work with the G22 Gen 4? Thanks!
My original reply was deleted, I read it wrong, and answered it wrong. Sorry, Thanks Ranger for pointing it out...

Ranger357
01-03-2010, 12:49
I'm not understanding how the mag release would affect the slide release 2nd2none ???

2nd2none
01-03-2010, 12:53

To bad they didn't change it more like an expensive German brand of pistol I can't mention(no flame intended, I feel I have to point down too much, feels awkward to me)... although if they did it would really screw with all current Glocks owners that like the grip angle(I don't but still like Glock) I think Glock did a good job on the new Gen 4. I think it would be nice to see a more beveled slide instead of it being so square, but the decreased slide material would probably affect functioning making the slide to light...IMHO. I am looking forward and wondering when the other models like the G38/G39 will get this nice makeover.

2nd2none
01-03-2010, 13:00
I'm not understanding how the mag release would affect the slide release 2nd2none ???
Oh crap I'm sorry I obviously didn't read it right, I glanced over it and thought it was about the mag release. :uglylol: I think I may have inhaled to much CS tear gas...:whistling:

Ranger357
01-03-2010, 14:36
No problem just thought I was missing somthing, myself and a trainer once did an entire "Who's on first" routine over a broken slide lock spring versus a slide stop one time :cool:

glockon1
01-03-2010, 20:11
I noticed the 22 Gen 4 is slightly heavier than older models. Perhaps that is also contributing to less flip along with the double coil system.

Ranger357
01-03-2010, 20:39
Now I've even heard of them at gunshows this weekend, and NOBODY on Glock talk has one with calipers, scales and full CSU Miami type forensic team working it?

You disapoint me GT :upeyes:

Glockster_221
01-04-2010, 03:09
Hi everyone.

I looked for a thread to answer this question, but I have had no such luck..

When is Glock going to release a Gen. 4 Glock 17 in OD? I saw that in the GSSF ordering form, you can check "Olive Drab" even on the new fourth generation models (17 and 22).

Does anyone have any idea when they're scheduled to release?

Thanks!

2nd2none
01-04-2010, 09:13
Hi everyone.

When is Glock going to release a Gen. 4 Glock 17 in OD? I saw that in the GSSF ordering form, you can check "Olive Drab" even on the new fourth generation models (17 and 22).

Thanks!
I would like to know when they are going to make Gen 4 for all of the models too...

Butch
01-04-2010, 09:54
Gen 4 trigger group on the left and Gen 3 on the right. Note the more pointed shape of the bottom of the housing on the Gen 4.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs195.snc3/20269_224206886588_147550831588_3310213_2395446_n.jpg
Thanks for the great pics and descriptions Weagle!

I'm guessing that the Gen4 trigger mechanism housing is the same one used in the SF's?

Deadduck357
01-04-2010, 16:50
Hi everyone.

Thanks!

I'm with you, my 3rd Gen is blk and I want the 4th in OD

Ranger357
01-04-2010, 20:05
What I'm waiting for is an official updated parts list from GLock that will show beyond a doubt what parts are and are not compatible between the two.

Thinking mainly connector and trigger springs, but also internal slide parts. Now their is no reason those SHOULD change, but just to make sure Glock did not do any "Updating" as they had a new slide that did not have to be compatible wiht old models anyway.

weagle
01-04-2010, 21:34
Measurments of the gen 4 vs the gen 3 measured from the back of the trigger guard to the curve of the backstrap.

Gen 3 = 2.242"
Gen 4 with no added backstrap = 2.154
Gen 4 with medium "M" backstrap = 2.245
Gen 4 with large "L" backstrap = 2.320

These measurements are for comparison only and are not intended to be any sort of official specs. I made them with a set of dial calipers from midway so although I was careful to be as accurate as possible there is some room for error.

I also measured the width of the grips and the Gen 3 was 1.185" wide while the Gen 4 was thinner at 1.178"

I'm sure there are many more measurements that people will be interested in, but the main point is the Gen 4 grip is shorter front to back and thinner side to side than the Gen 3 grip.

Weagle

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs195.snc3/20269_231775706588_147550831588_3361240_6262145_n.jpg

cws357
01-04-2010, 21:45
What about G34's and G35's, when will they be release in GEN4?

Bluecard
01-05-2010, 16:17
I just picked up my 4th gen today from GT Distributors here in Austin, TX. Anyone know what the trigger pull is measured at? This feels much heavier than the 5.5lb. Haven't shot it yet. I could barely get it out of the office. All of the other officers kept asking to buy it!

Butch
01-05-2010, 16:34
I just picked up my 4th gen today from GT Distributors here in Austin, TX. Anyone know what the trigger pull is measured at? This feels much heavier than the 5.5lb. Haven't shot it yet. I could barely get it out of the office. All of the other officers kept asking to buy it!
It should say on the box label.

And yeah......pictures! :)

Bluecard
01-05-2010, 16:37
Thanks, yeah it does say 5LB. I guess I need to break it in! When I saw that they had came in I jumped on it like a fat kid on a happy meal and still was only able to get number 158 of the first run.

Tall Pine
01-05-2010, 16:45
Thanks, yeah it does say 5LB. I guess I need to break it in! When I saw that they had came in I jumped on it like a fat kid on a happy meal and still was only able to get number 158 of the first run.

Is it just me or do the finger grooves look more spaced out than the gen3's?

matteblack
01-05-2010, 16:53
Will the Advantage Arms .22 conversion kits work with the Gen 4 pistols?

Noponer
01-05-2010, 18:01

The Gen 4 has had the grip pushed in (vs. the Gen 3) & uses a modified trigger housing... much like the G-21sf. I have been wondering if that would make the trigger pull heavier.

All sf models I have ever held seem to have a much heavier pull than the comparable non-sf models. I believe that the modified housing tilts the connector back a few degrees... making a 5# connector work more like an 8# one. A Glock armorer told me that was not the case, but I have my mind made up & don't want to be confused with facts! :whistling:

Emmet Fitz-Hume
01-06-2010, 14:59
I'm not sure if anyone saw this article or not, but I thought I would provide the hyperlink to it below. Enjoy.

http://shilohtv.com/?p=4563

AggiePhil
01-06-2010, 16:14
I'm not sure if anyone saw this article or not, but I thought I would provide the hyperlink to it below. Enjoy.

http://shilohtv.com/?p=4563

Nothing new.

S. Kelly
01-08-2010, 07:36
Has anyone purchased and taken hold of a 4th gen G22/17? If so, how does it shoot? A few guys at work shot the one Glock toted around, they said it shot .40 like a hot 9MM.

jaybirdjtt
01-08-2010, 12:39
OK, so I think it's safe to pass this along as I am not promoting something that costs you any money.

American Handgunner online mag.
Here is the link:
http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPublications/AmericanHandgunner/AHMA10/

I don't think I'm violating any forum rules as this is a free online mag with a very good review of a Gen 4 G22!

As for a Gen 4..... I'll wait for the Gen 5! Maybe the Gen 4 will usher in something like the "pre 64" Winchester Model 70 thing. Keep your early Glocks!! I sure wish I kept my pre-64 Model 70 Super Grade 375 H&H. I could sell it now and buy 10 Glocks! It got attention at the range and it would absolutely knock down any large animal I ever shot with it! But I digress....

Cheers!:cool:

IMightBeWrong
01-08-2010, 12:44
Not a Gen 4, but an RTF G22. The Gen4 is here:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/12/25/glock-gen4-unveiled/

bithabus
01-08-2010, 19:13
I have several threaded barrels for my gen 3 Glocks. The new Gen 4 recoil assembly looks bigger than the Gen 3 and I am wondering whether I will be able to use my barrels in Gen 4 guns. Does anyone know whether Gen 3 barrels will fit in gen 4 Glocks?

Thanks.

Calhoun123
01-08-2010, 19:29
Will current .22 conversions work with gen 4s?

When will 19/23s come out?

Bluecard
01-09-2010, 11:44
The Gen 4 has had the grip pushed in (vs. the Gen 3) & uses a modified trigger housing... much like the G-21sf. I have been wondering if that would make the trigger pull heavier.

All sf models I have ever held seem to have a much heavier pull than the comparable non-sf models. I believe that the modified housing tilts the connector back a few degrees... making a 5# connector work more like an 8# one. A Glock armorer told me that was not the case, but I have my mind made up & don't want to be confused with facts! :whistling:

I think you may be right. The trigger has loosened up a bit now that I have about 550 rounds down the pipe but it is still feels different than the others I have shot. My favorite attributes of this pistol are the grip texture and the mag release.

Bluecard
01-09-2010, 11:47
Anyone know when the Gen4 17's are suppossed to hit the market?

Chevy327
01-09-2010, 15:20
Baton Rouge Police Supply said they were supposed to get them last month but don't have them yet.

Another local gun shop said they didn't expect to get them til after the SHOT show.

I plan the get a Model 23 when they come out. I may have to check into a G22...just to get used to the Gen 4!!!:supergrin:

matteblack
01-10-2010, 11:23
Will current .22 conversions work with gen 4s?

When will 19/23s come out?

The 19/23's are coming out June-July according to a Glock LE rep.

I have the same question on the AA kit. We know the the new recoil spring assembly, bbl, and slide are different but would that effect the AA kit? Hoping someone with a Gen 4 and the kit can confirm for us :cool:

Fooboy
01-11-2010, 18:37
Any word on actual perceivable difference in new guiderods?

bithabus
01-12-2010, 01:37
Could someone post a photo of a gen 3 barrel next to a gen 4 barrel?

Thanks.

BSG62
01-12-2010, 10:02
Any word on actual perceivable difference in new guiderods?

The recoil feels more "dull" compared to a Gen3, but it's not drastic. At least not in my opinion.
The thing I like most about the Gen4 is the SF grip you get, when you don't install a backstrap.

matteblack
01-13-2010, 12:54
Here's a picture from the closed Ed's Public Safety thread. The top receiver is a 4th Gen and lower is a 3rd. It seems that other then the opening of the dust cover the receivers are the same as far as locking block, slide rail locations etc.

The Advantage Arms .22lr kits SHOULD work, right?

minkis18
01-13-2010, 13:16
matteblack, thanks for the pic! If you asked me the conversion slide should still work, but it looks like the end of the slide will have some extra space around it.

is it just me or is the gen4 slide slightly wider?

matteblack
01-13-2010, 13:18
matteblack, thanks for the pic! If you asked me the conversion slide should still work, but it looks like the end of the slide will have some extra space around it.

is it just me or is the gen4 slide slightly wider?

Yeah, I think it should work as well. Hopefully someone will try it and let all of us know. They are the same width...

Ranger357
01-13-2010, 14:48
Just FYI if anyones interested,

I sent in an "Individual Officer" order for a Gen4 to OMB last week (called to make sure I could, as it was not an option on the order form at that time, they said fine).

Got a message this afternoon they had called my office to confirm some shipping issue and that it should be in the truck going out tommorow.

matteblack
01-13-2010, 15:16
Just FYI if anyones interested,

I sent in an "Individual Officer" order for a Gen4 to OMB last week (called to make sure I could, as it was not an option on the order form at that time, they said fine).

Got a message this afternoon they had called my office to confirm some shipping issue and that it should be in the truck going out tommorow.

Thats great. I'm planning to do it once the Gen 4 G19's are available. Did you simply supply a check and a signed FFL with it?

Ranger357
01-13-2010, 15:25
No I work for a State Parole Agency, we get a letter signed off and mail order in with Credit card info, and they just ship direct to Office. Can only do it with pistols approved for carry as part of your job.

weagle
01-15-2010, 13:53
First pictures of the Gen 4 17.

Weagle

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs195.snc3/20269_249196551588_147550831588_3438398_4201208_n.jpghttp://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs195.snc3/20269_249196556588_147550831588_3438399_7547838_n.jpg

Magus
01-16-2010, 12:50
I've tried to skim through the 7 pages of posts in this thread, but can anyone confirm if Glock is doing away with Gen 3 models all together? I hope not.

The Gen 4's look okay, but I'm not seeing anything earth-shattering in terms of improvements. About the only true advantage I see for the Gen 4's are the dual recoil system, which I do wish Glock would've made backwards compatible for the Gen 3's.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a Gen 4, but I'm really not seeing much here that makes me feel like I need to ditch my Gen 3's and "upgrade."

I understand Glock feels the need to be competitive with the M&P's and XD's, but the changes really seem pretty superficial to me. Think I'll cling fast to my Gen 3 models for now unless someone convinces me otherwise.

FloridaCCW
01-16-2010, 12:54
Gen 3's are still being made and sold

Joshhtn
01-16-2010, 12:57
I'm with you, my 3rd Gen is blk and I want the 4th in OD

I had heard that Glock was doing away with OD's?

onalandline
01-16-2010, 13:11
Gen 3's are still being made and sold
I hope they are. I am going to order a G 19 RTF2. I wonder if prices will come down on the Gen 3's when the Gen 4's hit the market in full swing?

Glocks&Ducs
01-16-2010, 14:53
I've tried to skim through the 7 pages of posts in this thread, but can anyone confirm if Glock is doing away with Gen 3 models all together? I hope not.

The Gen 4's look okay, but I'm not seeing anything earth-shattering in terms of improvements. About the only true advantage I see for the Gen 4's are the dual recoil system, which I do wish Glock would've made backwards compatible for the Gen 3's.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a Gen 4, but I'm really not seeing much here that makes me feel like I need to ditch my Gen 3's and "upgrade."

I understand Glock feels the need to be competitive with the M&P's and XD's, but the changes really seem pretty superficial to me. Think I'll cling fast to my Gen 3 models for now unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Even if they did completely do away with the earlier generations, I am sure there are enough Glocks on the street that you will still be able to find the older models for at least the next 20 or 30 years or so. If you don't want to upgrade, I wouldn't worry about it.

AgentM79
01-17-2010, 08:10
I think Glock will take a "wait and see" approach to see which guns are really selling. The Gen3 RTF2 guns are good, but shooters seem to prefer the Gen 3's. Whether or not Glock's customer base accepts the Gen4 or not remains to be seen. Noone REALLY knows what percentage of new gun purchasers would choose a Gen4 Glock over a Gen3 Glock or other manufacturer's model (i.e. SIG, S&W, or SA/XD). Even when Glock brought out the Gen3 guns, it was just a new frame shape (same internals), a much-improved slide finish (same internals, but with the LCI extractors), and Glock-brand Night sights available. They also re-designed mag followers. Nothing really major, but the Gen3's became the "benchmark".

Glock's SF models have been a mixed bag. The 21SF with the ambi-mag release was stillborn, and the G30SF's issues have been the subject of much discussion here. I think Glock is onto a good thing with the SF concept, and I don't see these guns going away.

The Gen4 offers the interchangeable backstraps and an improved recoil spring arrangement. Whether or not shooters who buy Glock pistols will want interchangeable backstraps is impossible to predict. What the Glock brand represents to shooters is simplicity and utilitarianism. Would a shooter selecting a new pistol choose a Glock Gen4 over an S&W M&P if both guns offered interchangeable backstraps? Or would that same customer select a Gen3 Glock over the M&P because they wanted a Glock, or the M&P because they wanted something that wasn't a Glock? In other words, will the market ever perceive a Glock pistol - no matter what it's feature list (Gen3, Gen4, RTF2) -as anything other that a Gen3 Glock, because of the image that Glock's brand-name represents? It will be a few years before we know the answer.

I think Glock's top priority should be to fix the LE market issues with the .40 G22 and G23 - decisively curing the malfunction issue with rail-mounted lights. If it takes a Gen4 design to do that, then so be it. The interchangeable backstraps will take care of Officer hand-size issues. The gun will still present all of Glock's existing advantages - easy armorer maintenance, no factory-only repairs, low parts-count, and extreme durability. Regardless of what Glock does with the Gen4, though, their primary competitors will be S&W and SigSauer. The M&P offers something Glock cannot - a magazine disconnect safety, and non-trigger-pull disassembly. SigSauer also offers something Glock cannot - optional trigger actions (DA/SA, DAK, DAO), and non-trigger-pull disassembly. SigSauer also offers a new product line with interchangeable grip frames (the P250), going WAY beyond interchangeable backstraps.

It's a three-horse race now. I'm excited.

9mmdude
01-17-2010, 19:48
From a closed thread: "I called Glock and asked them whether the barrels are interchangeable between 3rd and 4th. They told me that they are not."

I guess that rules out changing your G22 Gen 4 to a .357 sig. That is a bummer!

DVDADM
01-17-2010, 21:56
Question do you think i lucked out getting a 4th gen 22 with the serial #xxx000??

Butch
01-17-2010, 22:00
Question do you think i lucked out getting a 4th gen 22 with the serial #xxx000??
Sure! Only one person in a thousand gets that number.....with a different prefix.

DVDADM
01-17-2010, 22:01
Does anyone know what prefixs there doing just so i can get an idea.

JCROWNII
01-18-2010, 10:52
Does anyone know when I will be able to purchase a Gen4 Glock 22? How much will they be running for the public?

Also, I heard that FHP is going with the Gen4 Glock 37. I would love to own a Gen4 Glock 37. Do you know when these will come out? I know it will be 17/22, 19/23,.... Anyone know when it will hit the GAP's or maybe even the subcompact models?

william_h
01-20-2010, 19:00
I'd also be curious to the answer of which parts interchange and if the AA kits will work.

matteblack
01-21-2010, 10:39
I'd also be curious to the answer of which parts interchange and if the AA kits will work.

A Glock LE rep told me that the Advantage Arms kits will NOT work with the Gen 4 receivers unfortunately. :crying:

Hopefully AA is on it and comes out with a new kit ASAP.

william_h
01-21-2010, 10:58
A Glock LE rep told me that the Advantage Arms kits will NOT work with the Gen 4 receivers unfortunately. :crying:

Somehow I don't see AA coming out with a new kit any time soon. They can't seem to make enough of the current kits.

Oh well, I still plan to get a Gen 4 17, I'll just keep my Gen 3 with the .22 conversion.

ewok2
01-21-2010, 14:48
Will there be a Gen 4 with the RTF2 grip, and fish gill sides?

I like that look, but would like the new recoil spring system.

Bluecard
01-21-2010, 14:54

Probably because the change in the recoil spring assembly and it's size..:shocked:

2nd2none
01-25-2010, 13:32
Anyone know if the Gen 4 magazine catch will fit in the Gen 3 frames with modification to the Gen 3 frame by cutting a bigger hole in it. I called Glock they said you can't...It doesn't make sense to me unless the Gen 3 whole is bigger then the Gen 4 on the right side,which come to think of it, it might be what I think he said, I was distracted and not fully paying attention...

7.62FMJ
01-25-2010, 14:11
I like the idea of the interchangeable backstrap but they should have gone with SF as medium, then standard, then damn near flat.

I hate the little "dots" instead of the traditional blocks/checkered.

Not sure why they changed the guiderod design, doesn't seem to add anything.

I give it a Meh out 10.

onalandline
01-26-2010, 07:17
Does anyone know if the new recoil springs really make that much of a difference, specially on the 9mm series?

kennjen
01-28-2010, 14:42
Does anyone know if the new recoil springs really make that much of a difference, specially on the 9mm series?

It's .40. but did you see this...

http://pistol-training.com/archives/2455

I think that is pretty good evidence that the new gun/springs work just as well, IF NOT BETTER, than gen 3 spring assy.

k

Forgoten214
01-29-2010, 20:09
Are the new recoil springs replaceable and captured like the old guide rod system? How easy will it be to replace the springs on this new duel spring system? Is there any difference in how the slide feels when you rack it?

Forgoten214
01-30-2010, 13:35
Oh and also with this double recoil spring setup. Will the gun lose any reliability or gain any reliability? What will be the benefits to this setup? I basically want to know if I will be able to replace the springs and guide rods accordingly as needed.

abedwards1978
01-30-2010, 18:27
will they make a 4 gen glock 19?

matteblack
01-31-2010, 09:13
will they make a 4 gen glock 19?

Yes, two Glock reps told me at Shot that the G19's should be available Summertime.
:cool:

raising_arizona
02-10-2010, 17:04
A slightly smaller-grip G17 sounds like something I would be interested in. I just might have to check out the Gen4 G17. :cheers:

Forgoten214
02-11-2010, 01:20
I probably wont get it, I dont really like the new duel recoil spring.

Rusty Shackleford
02-12-2010, 05:11
From a closed thread: "I called Glock and asked them whether the barrels are interchangeable between 3rd and 4th. They told me that they are not."

I guess that rules out changing your G22 Gen 4 to a .357 sig. That is a bummer!

My G22, .357SIG:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2361/4517558127_cdebf97573_o.jpg

1k rounds through it without a hiccup as of this morning 2/17/10

Forgoten214
02-12-2010, 05:50
Looks good, KKM is nice but very expensive. How do you like the new mag release and frame texture?

My G22, .357SIG:

http://user00.freeshell.org/kkm.jpg

Rusty Shackleford
02-12-2010, 06:15
Looks good, KKM is nice but very expensive. How do you like the new mag release and frame texture?

They're both excellent! I never handled any of the other RTF frames before but have heard they were uncomfortable. The current texture works perfectly for me as a balance between solid grip and comfort. I had to re-grip the Gen3 G23 after almost every shot. Not so with the Gen4 G22 at all.

I would have loved a factory G31 barrel but couldn't find one in stock. (edit: apparently I didn't look hard enough. Lonewolf has them in stock for the price of a KKM through Brownells) The less expensive alternatives to KKM should be equally as compatible though.

I will say this: I am not a fan of the new guide rod. I have had it cause the slide to stick during field stripping a few times, and this scratched up/chewed up the inside of the frame, just slightly forward of the rear part of the rod. As seen in the following picture, the guide rod often ends up like seated in the slide but otherwise completely free-floating.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4040/4517558331_937be91812_o.jpg
Note that it is not touching the barrel at all. You can see the front end protruding out the front of the slide, which should only be happening once the slide is on the frame. Not really a big deal as long as you keep an eye on it and make sure it's not like this when you slap the slide back onto the frame.

raising_arizona
02-18-2010, 04:45
I posted a question about the recoil spring taking polymer material off of the frame, and just wondered how many of you are seeing this? I'm a little disappointed by it, but if it doesn't get worse it won't bother me that much. I'm guessing that it won't affect function.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14781598

Forgoten214
02-18-2010, 04:51
They're both excellent! I never handled any of the other RTF frames before but have heard they were uncomfortable. The current texture works perfectly for me as a balance between solid grip and comfort. I had to re-grip the Gen3 G23 after almost every shot. Not so with the Gen4 G22 at all.

I would have loved a factory G31 barrel but couldn't find one in stock. (edit: apparently I didn't look hard enough. Lonewolf has them in stock for the price of a KKM through Brownells) The less expensive alternatives to KKM should be equally as compatible though.

I will say this: I am not a fan of the new guide rod. I have had it cause the slide to stick during field stripping a few times, and this scratched up/chewed up the inside of the frame, just slightly forward of the rear part of the rod. As seen in the following picture, the guide rod often ends up like seated in the slide but otherwise completely free-floating.
http://user00.freeshell.org/guiderod.jpg
Note that it is not touching the barrel at all. You can see the front end protruding out the front of the slide, which should only be happening once the slide is on the frame. Not really a big deal as long as you keep an eye on it and make sure it's not like this when you slap the slide back onto the frame.

Yea, I actually just handled one at the store for the first time. Slide got stuck on the frame it was weird. Never experienced that with a Glock before. I ended up cutting my hand trying to fix it and remove the slide. But once I was able to get the slide off It seemed like the new duel recoil spring was abit flimsy. It may just be me I'm not sure.

What is it like to fire it? Does it feel any different? :dunno:

Racking the slide didn't really seem any different then a Gen3.

I do admit I like the new grip texture and mag release. I'm not certain on the Duel spring system yet though.

raising_arizona
02-18-2010, 05:02
Rusty,
Are these the sort of marks you are seeing? This is how mine came from the store. I'm taking it to the range today, so I'll report back after a few 100 rounds.

http://www.pbase.com/cdnxpat/image/122054989.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/cdnxpat/image/122054988.jpg

Rusty Shackleford
02-18-2010, 08:08
Rusty,
Are these the sort of marks you are seeing?

I did notice identical marks yesterday, but they aren't what I was talking about. 5/6 of my Glocks have those.

In my Gen4 I was getting some itty bitty scratches in the circled areas of this pic. (pic is of a gen3 just to show where I was talking about.) Rear disc on the guide rod seems to occasionally snag on the "lip" of these spots sometimes during field stripping. After noticing these spots with metal showing through on my Gen4, like yours, and on all but one of my other Glocks, I think these little scratches I was talking about are nothing of concern. I think I was just really used to the type of guide rod found in the G19 which is almost impossible to seat incorrectly and won't snag on anything.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2361/4517559045_db7bb90cb0_o.jpg

Glocks&Ducs
02-18-2010, 10:53
Rusty,
Are these the sort of marks you are seeing? This is how mine came from the store. I'm taking it to the range today, so I'll report back after a few 100 rounds.

http://www.pbase.com/cdnxpat/image/122054989.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/cdnxpat/image/122054988.jpg

There is nothing wrong with your gun. The polymer simply didn't fill all the voids around the metal. Many Glocks are like that. It doesn't mean anything and won't affect the function of the gun.

raising_arizona
02-18-2010, 11:04
There is nothing wrong with your gun. The polymer simply didn't fill all the voids around the metal. Many Glocks are like that. It doesn't mean anything and won't affect the function of the gun.

Glocks&Ducs (http://glocktalk.com/forums/member.php?u=33223)
Thanks for the info. I was wondering about the one spot that looked kind of rounded. Doesn't look like it was chipped away. I'm sure it will function fine. Did I mention it fits my hand like a glove? :supergrin:

AggiePhil
02-19-2010, 13:36
I handled a 4th Generation gun for the first time a couple days ago. Honestly, I couldn't really tell that much of a difference in the grip size. I also wasn't too crazy about the RTF3 texture. Really the only thing I liked about it was the new mag release and even that wasn't all that spectacular. The RTF2 guns, on the other hand, feel great in the hand. I think I'll stick with them. :cheers:

raising_arizona
02-19-2010, 15:40
I had a quick look through this thread, and didn't see an answer. I'd like to get some spare goodies at Brownells. Is it safe to assume (there's that word :embarassed:) that all the slide internals are the same as Gen 3, except for:

The slide itself
Recoil spring
Barrel (?)

Thanks!

matteblack
02-19-2010, 15:55
I had a quick look through this thread, and didn't see an answer. I'd like to get some spare goodies at Brownells. Is it safe to assume (there's that word :embarassed:) that all the slide internals are the same as Gen 3, except for:

The slide itself
Recoil spring
Barrel (?)

Thanks!

Although I have not compared them, I would assume yes as well.

Forgoten214
02-19-2010, 16:21
Will you still be able to use the standard 3.5 connectors and use the 33 round magazines?

Rusty Shackleford
02-19-2010, 16:24
Will you still be able to use the standard 3.5 connectors and use the 33 round magazines?

You sure can.

Forgoten214
02-19-2010, 16:29
You sure can.

Oh, well I have a Glock 17 amphibious kit. Will the maritime spring cups work with it as well?

raising_arizona
02-19-2010, 16:31

The older mags should work if you are using the mag release as a right hander, IIRC.

Rusty Shackleford
02-19-2010, 16:47

The slide itself
Recoil spring
Barrel (?)

Thanks!

All three are different in the Gen4. The slide, at the very least, has a larger hole where the guide rod seats at the front. The recoil spring is an all-metal two-piece design that requires the larger hole in the slide to work at all. The barrel has a slightly larger cutout where the guide rod seats at the rear for assembly. At least on my aftermarket barrel, this has made absolutely no difference whatsoever. The Gen4 guide rod seats just fine in the Gen3 KKM barrel lug for assembly.

Both barrel manufacturers I contacted stated that the old (Gen3) barrels are either "the same" or "will interchange" with the Gen4 barrels. I got my Gen3 KKM barrel from Brownells (model G31C1) and it has been working 100% for 1,000 rounds so far.

Rusty Shackleford
02-19-2010, 17:02
Oh, well I have a Glock 17 amphibious kit. Will the maritime spring cups work with it as well?

Not sure. I know the Gen4 works with the usual aftermarket wolff firing pin springs, so my GUESS would be that there is no change to those parts and the spring cups should be the same.

PAHLAVAN
02-19-2010, 20:41
My department issues the G22 gen 3 as do innumerable other agencies. How is the move to a Gen4 going to effect these agencies reference obtaining parts etc. as the Gen3's get worn?

I read the parts are not interchangable.

minkis18
02-19-2010, 21:06
There will be plenty of parts for a while. Some things will be backwards compatible but I suspect departments will eventually start issuing Gen4s when they need replacing.

PAHLAVAN
02-19-2010, 22:02
I agree. But for me, the jury is still out on the double spring recoil system. I can only imagine it's an improvement, but I don't think I have ever heard about any problems with the Glock's Gen1-3 single spring system.

It makes scense on a sub compact since one short length spring by itself may not be enough, but on a full size? I'll wait just a bit to see how it functions in the real world before pickin one up.

minkis18
02-19-2010, 22:57
yea I'm not sure why the switch, but from what I've heard so far, it works. Heck, XDs have a dual recoil system, though XDm switched to a non-captive single spring (not sure about the 3.8" I didn't even think about it when I saw them in the shop). I guess it's just one of those things companies like to change.

PAHLAVAN
02-20-2010, 00:21
Who knows maybe it's just the current trend.

But I do trust in the boys working in Gaston's little shop. ;)

I do believe they thourghly test new products before putting thier reputation/and lives on the line.

BuckyP
02-20-2010, 03:25
I agree. But for me, the jury is still out on the double spring recoil system. I can only imagine it's an improvement, but I don't think I have ever heard about any problems with the Glock's Gen1-3 single spring system.

Numerous threads about issues with Gen 3 G22s with lights hanging on them. From what I understand, the new recoil spring is to help address that. I guess time will tell.

PAHLAVAN
02-20-2010, 03:34
Perhaps the weight of the light system off balanced the front end enough to off balance it. Never heard of any issues without the light and personally, never experienced any problems with the light on it myself.

Ramos7849
02-22-2010, 07:54
any word on when the gen 4 glock 19 will be released?

onalandline
02-22-2010, 08:46
any word on when the gen 4 glock 19 will be released?

I heard around June/July.

Rusty Shackleford
03-03-2010, 06:03
I've seen a lot of claims and concerns regarding the Gen4 killing compatibility in Glock's lineup, and I finally got around to fully stripping and swapping parts myself and added the posted experience of another GT member to get a full list.

Parts compatibility between 3rd and 4th Gen:

I have personally swapped (G22):

KKM Gen3 barrel
Firing Pin/spring
Spacer Sleeve
Spring Cups
Firing Pin Safety/spring
Extractor
Extractor Depressor plunger/spring
Spring Loaded Bearing
Slide Cover Plate
Rear Sight
Front Sight
Slide Lock/spring
Locking Block
Connector
Slide Stop Lever(extended)
Trigger w/trigger bar
Trigger spring

That leaves the incompatible parts at:

1) Slide
2) Recoil Spring Assembly
3) Magazine Catch/spring
4) Trigger Mechanism Housing

Noponer
03-03-2010, 07:44
I've seen a lot of claims and concerns regarding the Gen4 killing compatibility in Glock's lineup, and I finally got around to fully stripping and swapping parts myself and added the posted experience of another GT member to get a full list.

Parts compatibility between 3rd and 4th Gen:

I have personally swapped (G22):

KKM Gen3 barrel
Firing Pin/spring
Spacer Sleeve
Spring Cups
Firing Pin Safety/spring
Extractor
Extractor Depressor plunger/spring
Spring Loaded Bearing
Slide Cover Plate
Rear Sight
Front Sight
Slide Lock/spring
Locking Block
Connector
Slide Stop Lever(extended)

JBP55 has swapped (G17):

Trigger w/trigger bar
Trigger mechanism housing w/ejector
Trigger Spring

That leaves the incompatible parts at:

1) Slide
2) Recoil Spring Assembly
3) Magazine Catch/spring

I thought the Gen 4's barrel lug has (& needs) a larger notch for the recoil spring guide rod.

Also, how can the Gen 3 trigger housing fit in the Gen 4 frame when its housing has been reduced at the bottom like SF models... because the frame grip area was reduced?

Rusty Shackleford
03-03-2010, 09:17
I thought the Gen 4's barrel lug has (& needs) a larger notch for the recoil spring guide rod.

Also, how can the Gen 3 trigger housing fit in the Gen 4 frame when its housing has been reduced at the bottom like SF models... because the frame grip area was reduced?

I've posted at least a dozen times regarding the barrel, probably several of which are in this thread.

After double-checking with JBP55, he forgot to mention that he'd "modified" his trigger mechanism housing.

If parts require any modification at all, I don't count them as compatible.

I have verified the other swaps myself (trigger bar, trigger, and trigger spring) and corrected the original post.

Noponer
03-03-2010, 15:38
I've posted at least a dozen times regarding the barrel, probably several of which are in this thread.

After double-checking with JBP55, he forgot to mention that he'd "modified" his trigger mechanism housing.

If parts require any modification at all, I don't count them as compatible.

I have verified the other swaps myself (trigger bar, trigger, and trigger spring) and corrected the original post.

Rusty -

Sorry I missed your post about the barrel. So they are not the same, but will "work", per your tests.

In looking for your comment about the barrel, I noticed you said that the new guide rod/spring assembly is "all steel". Isn't the rod itself plastic as in the sub-compact models?

njl
03-07-2010, 06:43
Maybe I'm out of the loop having not bought a new Glock for several years, but on the two I bought yesterday (only one of which is a Gen4), the front sights look like they're plastic, but instead of the old pin press fit to spread the bottom of the sight, there's a small screw (looks just like the ones used by the Meprolight night sights I've installed on other Glocks) holding the front sight...and it looks like that screw extends all the way up to the top of the front sight. Has this been standard for a while?

minkis18
03-07-2010, 13:56
Maybe I'm out of the loop having not bought a new Glock for several years, but on the two I bought yesterday (only one of which is a Gen4), the front sights look like they're plastic, but instead of the old pin press fit to spread the bottom of the sight, there's a small screw (looks just like the ones used by the Meprolight night sights I've installed on other Glocks) holding the front sight...and it looks like that screw extends all the way up to the top of the front sight. Has this been standard for a while?
yep. I'm not sure when exactly but I think all gen3+ have new screw on sights. Smart more in my opinion.

njl
03-07-2010, 22:27
I guess they improved the front but took a step back on the rear. I shot my Gen4 17 today...and like most (but not all) Glocks, it hit to the left for me. I used my MGW pusher to drift the rear to the right a bit, then decided to pop it out and maybe try a Glock adjustable rear I had left over from another gun. While trying to push the rear sight out, it began to deform and basically tore apart on the way out. The metal bit that helps hold it in place was left behind and had to be tapped out with a punch and my Brownells gunsmith hammer.

I've replaced factory sights (typically for night sights) on probably a dozen or more Glocks for myself, family, and friends, and never seen that happen before. Fortunately, I always keep parts...so I just slid in another (older) Glock rear fixed sight. If it's a keeper, it'll end up getting night sights anyway.

Rusty Shackleford
03-17-2010, 06:03
Rusty -

Sorry I missed your post about the barrel. So they are not the same, but will "work", per your tests.

In looking for your comment about the barrel, I noticed you said that the new guide rod/spring assembly is "all steel". Isn't the rod itself plastic as in the sub-compact models?

The new one is all steel and is totally different from the ones currently in Gen3 subcompacts. Not sure why they did this.

Forgoten214
03-17-2010, 08:05
Does anyone know when the Glock 20 Gen4 will be out?

pitmanr2003
03-17-2010, 14:37
want a gen4 and want to shoot lead bullets so i need a new barrel, but didnt know if any of them works with gen 4. i want lone wofe or stone.

Butch
03-17-2010, 15:34
want a gen4 and want to shoot lead bullets so i need a new barrel, but didnt know if any of them works with gen 4. i want lone wofe or stone.
That sounds like a question that should be posted here-> http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=247

BuckyP
03-20-2010, 08:49
So how long do you expect it will be before the GEN 4s actually appear on GLOCK's web site? Just came from there and couldn't find it. You'd think it would be right on the home page. :dunno:

onalandline
03-20-2010, 13:06
So how long do you expect it will be before the GEN 4s actually appear on GLOCK's web site? Just came from there and couldn't find it. You'd think it would be right on the home page. :dunno:

I'm surprised by the lack of website updates.

BuckyP
03-20-2010, 16:19

Yeah, but it's typical of GLOCK. It took quite some time for the GAP pistols to make the web page. At this point, I'm guessing the RTF-2s won't make it at all.

njl
03-20-2010, 16:28

You must not have been around long. Glock typically takes years to update their website.

Rusty Shackleford
03-22-2010, 06:28

The answer from the manufacturers (as reported by myself and others) is "yes."

The result of using one of these barrels, for me, has been no different than using it in any other Glock pistol.

Glocks&Ducs
03-22-2010, 07:34

You don't need a different barrel to shoot lead through a Glock.

gunstoshoot
03-24-2010, 00:20

Please elaborate on what you mean by your comment. I always thought that Glock barrels leaded and created unsafe pressures.

Also, just read an article on the Glock Gen 4 that answers a lot of the questions in this thread. http://www.westernshooter.com/2010/03/glock-g22-gen-4-review.html

Last Rites
04-02-2010, 17:50
Anyone know if the 20 will be made in Gen 4?

Edit:
Found my answer...
Quoted from Western Shooter Blog Archive;

"As of right now, February 2010, the Glock GEN 4 is only available in the G22 and G17. The G22 is chambered in .40 S&W and is considered a “standard” size Glock. The G17 is chambered in 9mm (9×19mm) and is also considered “standard” size. Glock is planning on releasing the GEN 4 in all of their models. As far as time frame goes, they will release the G19 and G23 this fall. The next models have yet to be determined and I was told their release will be based on demand."

Would it be stupid to assume that it could be up to a year, and possibly even longer before I even see a Glock 20 (10mm) released in Gen 4? Or am I just being a pessimistic whiny little b****? I would love to buy a Gen 4 20 today, but the gosh darn thing doesn't sound very promising for my immediate future.

runhotshot
04-16-2010, 20:51

Yup, same spring

GoingQuiet
07-18-2010, 20:15

I would NEVER shoot bare lead through a Glock factory barrel.

Glocks&Ducs
07-18-2010, 20:50
I would NEVER shoot bare lead through a Glock factory barrel.

So what? That doesn't mean it can't be done safely.

Al Swearengen
03-07-2011, 17:56
Anyone know if the 20 will be made in Gen 4?

Edit:
Found my answer...
Quoted from Western Shooter Blog Archive;

"As of right now, February 2010, the Glock GEN 4 is only available in the G22 and G17. The G22 is chambered in .40 S&W and is considered a “standard” size Glock. The G17 is chambered in 9mm (9×19mm) and is also considered “standard” size. Glock is planning on releasing the GEN 4 in all of their models. As far as time frame goes, they will release the G19 and G23 this fall. The next models have yet to be determined and I was told their release will be based on demand."

Would it be stupid to assume that it could be up to a year, and possibly even longer before I even see a Glock 20 (10mm) released in Gen 4? Or am I just being a pessimistic whiny little b****? I would love to buy a Gen 4 20 today, but the gosh darn thing doesn't sound very promising for my immediate future.

Any updates as to when Glock may be coming out with the 20/29 in Gen4?

Forgoten214
03-07-2011, 19:43
Does anyone know if they will stop making Gen3 Glocks now that the Gen4 came out? I heard rumors that it is a direct replacement then I've had people mention that the Gen4 is just an addition to the Gen3.

Just curious to see if anyone knew or not.

Doug in Ak
04-25-2011, 20:56
Don't know if they will stop making the gen 3 but I do know I ordered a new one Thursday and it should be here tomorrow. Personally, I love the gen 3 guns and really don't have a desire for a gen 4. But hey, I'm an old guy and not interested in change! JMHO

Gray_Wolf
05-28-2011, 15:06
Did Glock make any changed on Gen4 guns since they been made? there are some reports of poor reliability in gen4 guns (any truth to that?) and others said that Glock fixed the issue (how??) If that's true that glock made changes to the gen4's what was changed and what date/SN guns are 'safe' to buy?

njl
05-28-2011, 17:07
Did Glock make any changed on Gen4 guns since they been made? there are some reports of poor reliability in gen4 guns (any truth to that?) and others said that Glock fixed the issue (how??) If that's true that glock made changes to the gen4's what was changed and what date/SN guns are 'safe' to buy?

Dude! Do some reading. The only change I'm aware of post-production on the Gen4 guns is a few revisions of the new dual spring recoil assemblies. Some people had function issues with the original dual spring assemblies with "weak US market ammo".

ArizonaPhil
07-10-2011, 09:56
It appears that the latest Gen 4 Model 19 spring is 0 4 2. I just purchased one with the test fire date as 6/24/11 and it had the 0 4 2 spring in it.

ChazzMatt
07-14-2011, 10:41
Dude! Do some reading. The only change I'm aware of post-production on the Gen4 guns is a few revisions of the new dual spring recoil assemblies. Some people had function issues with the original dual spring assemblies with "weak US market ammo".

Glock also changed extractor design about the same time. They also started including them with gen3s but it was introduced when the gen4s were introduced. So, that's why some people are changing to Lone Wolf extractors to see if that helps. Thinking is maybe the extractor is contributing to the problem by not extracting!

Glock even told customer they had a batch of "out of spec" extractors. Is it that or a bad design?

=======

"weak U.S. market ammo" is bull. Any reputable gun should be able to fire factory SAAMI spec ammo. Period. Winchester white box is loaded to SAMMI specs. If Glock can't fire that, it's Glock's fault.

========

And I'm a huge Glock fan. I've only owned Glocks for the past 21 years. Right now I own a Gen3 Glock 19 and a Gen4 Glock 26. I sold a Gen3 Glock 26 to get the Gen4 26 -- which had several FTEs in the first 300 rounds. :steamed: Since springs didn't change with the Glock 26s, I'm leaning towards the extractor theory myself.

But if Glock has screwed up, don't be mindless fanbois about it. I'm sure they will fix it, but don't blame the messengers and don't blame ammo. My Gen3 Glock has no trouble shooting factory SAMMI spec ammo. If Gen4s can't, it's the Gen4 fault (somewhere in the firing process), not the ammo's fault (which didn't change).

mike g35
07-17-2011, 12:30
Anyone know if I can use the trigger group out of my Gen 3 G35 in my Gen 4 G17 rtf?

DannyR
07-17-2011, 16:34
When Federal Ammunition introduces a product like Federal Champion 115-gr FMJ 9mm ammo to the USA market, the lowest powered ammo ever offered, then it is an ammo issue. It won't function in a new Gen4, New XD or New Kimber. Champion would not even function in my Gen2 G19 when I installed a brand new factory recoil spring assembly to test.

With it's latest 9mm offering, Kimber recommends only 124-gr and higher full power service ammo.

Sometimes it is an ammo issue. Sometimes it is a shooter issue. Sometimes it is a recoil spring issue.

Try not to forget all the issues stated here that new shooters have had after buying a Gen2 or Gen3 "C" model 9mm Glock.

DannyR
07-17-2011, 16:40
When Federal Ammunition introduces a product like Federal Champion 115-gr FMJ 9mm ammo to the USA market, the lowest powered ammo ever offered, then it is an ammo issue. It won't function in a new Gen4, New XD or New Kimber. Champion would not even function in my Gen2 G19 when I installed a brand new factory recoil spring assembly to test.

With it's latest 9mm offering, Kimber recommends only 124-gr and higher full power service ammo.

Sometimes it is an ammo issue. Sometimes it is a shooter issue. Sometimes it is a recoil spring issue.

Try not to forget all the issues stated here that new shooters have had after buying a Gen2 or Gen3 "C" model 9mm Glock.

SAAMI regulates maximum pressures, not minimum, cheap loadings. Winchester USA (PF of 136.85) works fine in all Glocks. It is far hotter than Federal Champion (PF of 129.38). Glocks, being Military pistols, are designed around the 124-gr FMJ NATO round, PF of 146.94.

michael_b
09-22-2011, 13:15
I shoot Federal champion and it functions in my Gen 4 17 with the original RSA.

Ron_g4g17
09-20-2012, 19:18
I'm new here. i would like to know if there's such thing as "break in" when using glock for the first time? if so how? what type of ammo must be use?
thank you in advance...

Forgoten214
09-20-2012, 19:20
You just use it. I'm new here. i would like to know if there's such thing as "break in" when using glock for the first time? if so how? what type of ammo must be use?
thank you in advance...

Ron_g4g17
09-20-2012, 19:37
"Get rid of that nickel plated sissy pistol and get yourself a Glock." - Tommy Lee Jones [US Marshalls]

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGVAQOUi6ec)actually i got a my first glock....and would like to know if there's such thing as "break in"
thank you

Forgoten214
09-20-2012, 19:53
Nope, its a combat pistol. Ready to go out of the box. Its not a 1911 or Revolver that have a high number of internal parts and are delicate to different situations and break ins. Glocks do not have this problem. No break in required, although some guys on here might have their own break in but its mental not a requirement for the action of the gun. "Get rid of that nickel plated sissy pistol and get yourself a Glock." - Tommy Lee Jones [US Marshalls]

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGVAQOUi6ec)actually i got a my first glock....and would like to know if there's such thing as "break in"
thank you

Ron_g4g17
09-20-2012, 21:10
Thank you so much Sir Forgoten214....
might have some upcomming questions re glock...hope to here from you again.

Ratsnake21
03-02-2013, 14:46
What are the best cleaning/lubricating products to use on a Gen 4 Glock 30?

Forgoten214
03-02-2013, 16:06
Ballistol