New M&P 45 4.5" Performance Center?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New M&P 45 4.5" Performance Center??

Jon_R
12-24-2009, 15:41
I picked up a new M&P .45 4.5" barrel today. It came with three magazines and night sights and the Performance Center Logo on the top of the slide. I have a M&P .40 already and the .45 felt really good in my hand so I bought it.

The employees at the Gun Shop didn't know anything about it other then it was "Performance Center" and came with a 3rd mag and night sites. Does anyone know anything more? Is there anything done to the pistol in order to get the performance center logo?

I am just curious what if anything is different or do they just throw the logo on random pistols. The model number of the pistol is 150612 which does not match up with anything on the web site. I probably won't get to shoot it until this weekend. Reminds me I need to make some more .45 tomorrow.

MSgt Dotson
12-26-2009, 06:41
we can only hope it comes with a 'trigger job', 4.5# would be nice...

Now if they'd just make a 5" .45 auto variant....

m4arc
12-26-2009, 10:18
The performance center sear is their top of the line, tool steel, sear that will produce a much smoother, slightly lighter trigger pull.

fastbolt
12-26-2009, 12:03
Sounds interesting. I haven't talked to anyone in the PC about them, but I've been told the machined sears they use add an excellent dimension to the M&P series pistols. There are a couple of spots where I suspect some slight attention is lavished on them, as well, but I haven't focused on the extra work being offered by the PC on the M&P's.

If your new M&P 45 has the same trigger pull characteristics as the Pro-Series, and also benefits from some slight refinement, it should be a nice gun.

I've been wondering when S&W would get around to offering a PC M&P 45. ;)

I've also previously mentioned I thought a 5" 'long slide' .45 model would be popular among some of the competitive venues, as well.

Aside from replacing the original MIM striker with one of the revised stainless ones (including a new striker srping and replacing the original orange coded mag springs with the new purple coded ones) I haven't done anything special to mine, and the trigger pull has dropped more than 3 lbs since it was NIB, reaching a nicely smooth, predictable and clean average of barely 6 lbs.

Congrats on yours.

MSgt Dotson
12-27-2009, 08:31
I might be using my M&P45 (4.5", no MS, ambi TS) for Limited-10 this coming year; I'd guess it's trigger is 'about 5.5#', but, lots of dry-fire helped...

Jon_R
12-27-2009, 11:09
I was able to take it out this morning. I was running people through our club IDPA classifier. I was not shooting (classified yesterday) but I put 20 rounds through it shooting at a piece of paper laying on the berm. It worked 100% and was hitting right around the piece of paper (trash). I just wanted to make sure it went bang and it did so I will clean it up and shoot for performance soon as I can get out there. I am plenty happy so far.

Jon_R
12-27-2009, 19:15
Maybe I will email S&W with the serial number and see if they can tell me what if anything the Performance Center did to the pistol to warrant the logo on the slide. It would be nice to know.

Jon_R
01-01-2010, 19:55
Maybe I will email S&W with the serial number and see if they can tell me what if anything the Performance Center did to the pistol to warrant the logo on the slide. It would be nice to know.

I sent this email to S&W last week but it bounced saying they where closed. I will send it again on the 4th and see what they say.

A few days ago I bought a M&P .45 ACP Full Size. It was sold as Performance Center and it had the logo on the slide of the pistol. The box it came in had the model number of 150612 and the Serial Number of the firearm is MRD71XX. When I asked the Gun Shop employee what was done to the pistol to warrant the Performance Center tag they said they did not know. I bought the pistol but I would like to know what was done to the pistol if there is a record of that or a standard of what is done to warrant the Performance Center being placed on the slide.

Jon_R
01-06-2010, 11:10
What I got back from S&W. It is a mystery. :)

Hello Jon,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
That was a special police department replacement for 51 guns and Iím not sure why it is marked as a PC gun. The only thing that I see is that it came with night sights and 3 magazines. I have checked with a few co-workers and no one seems to know. It was a very limited run (51 units) and there does not seem to be any record of what exactly was done to them. Sorry.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Thanks,

fastbolt
01-06-2010, 13:08
I don't find that really surprising.

Many years ago I ordered a 3913. When it arrived I saw that the slide had been machined to accept the optional spring-loaded, decock-only assembly. At the time that option was only being offered to LE agencies and the machining was done to the slides by the PC. (My slide wasn't marked with the PC logo, only machined differently than the standard model's slide.)

I liked that the slide was machined for the new option and promptly ordered the assembly to install in my new 3913. (I later had my CS45 slide modified by the PC for the optional decocker.)

I called back and spoke with a couple of folks, asking why my slide had been machined for the new decocker assembly. Nobody seemed to know why and how that slide had received the additional machining.

Their best guess was that at some point the PC had taken at least my slide (and probably others) and had machined them for some pending project. The project either wasn't completed or they didn't use all of the slides and mine was simply returned to the regular parts stock at the factory, without any special notation of the change made to it or the reason, for eventual use in producing the regular production gun I received. I was told that this wasn't really an unusual practice on the part of the PC.

Later on the newer TSW's started coming with the slides similarly machined to accept the optional part, but the standard 3913's didn't come that way ... except for mine. ;)

Sometimes strange things can happen back there.

Poohgyrr
01-21-2010, 06:06
It sounds like you may have a very special .45 there...............

Jon_R
01-21-2010, 06:27
It sounds like you may have a very special .45 there...............

The trigger on it brand new feels as good as my well used .40 M&P so maybe with use it will get even better. I will have to see but it shoots very well. Probably run it in CDP and L10 soon. Just got my comp-tac holster.

Sniper42
08-26-2010, 20:23
What I got back from S&W. It is a mystery. :)

Hello Jon,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
That was a special police department replacement for 51 guns and Iím not sure why it is marked as a PC gun. The only thing that I see is that it came with night sights and 3 magazines. I have checked with a few co-workers and no one seems to know. It was a very limited run (51 units) and there does not seem to be any record of what exactly was done to them. Sorry.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Thanks,

These PC guns were sent to the agency as replacements for the first batch of M&P's that were purchased. The first batch had issues and the Smith rep promissed to make good with the PC guns at the same price. The PC guns were delivered and the quality control on some of the guns were lets just say lacking, so they were traded to the local gun shop for Glocks. (I still work for this agency so it will remain nameless) I purchased two of the PC guns to put away, as we were told that this would never happen again, and this was a special lot that was manufactured. I have since sold one to a close friend and co-worker, (Still kicking myself).

Jon_R
08-31-2010, 11:58
These PC guns were sent to the agency as replacements for the first batch of M&P's that were purchased. The first batch had issues and the Smith rep promissed to make good with the PC guns at the same price. The PC guns were delivered and the quality control on some of the guns were lets just say lacking, so they were traded to the local gun shop for Glocks. (I still work for this agency so it will remain nameless) I purchased two of the PC guns to put away, as we were told that this would never happen again, and this was a special lot that was manufactured. I have since sold one to a close friend and co-worker, (Still kicking myself).

Welcome to Glocktalk and thanks for the information. The pistol has performed well.

M&P Shooter
09-03-2010, 21:42
The sear is easy to replace on a M&P pistol and Apex makes a tactical sear and safety plunger that along with a simple polish job on the trigger bar, striker arm and Apex sear & plunger give a 4lb pull that is very smooth and light:wavey:

Sear
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25717/catid/17/Apex_tactical_Sear_for_S_W_M_P_in__45ACP

Safety Plunger
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25725/catid/17/Apex_Tactical_Ultimate_Striker_Block__Kit

How To Install
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAJKLHNRF04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEaVMxkp8PM&feature=related

Jon_R
09-04-2010, 14:24
This is why I contacted the PC trying to figure out what they did. If they already did some sear upgrades and tuning I didn't want to undo it but since they have no idea what they did I guess I will just decide. Maybe I will replace the sear on my .40 and see how I like it compared to the .45.

The sear is easy to replace on a M&P pistol and Apex makes a tactical sear and safety plunger that along with a simple polish job on the trigger bar, striker arm and Apex sear & plunger give a 4lb pull that is very smooth and light:wavey:

Sear
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25717/catid/17/Apex_tactical_Sear_for_S_W_M_P_in__45ACP

Safety Plunger
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25725/catid/17/Apex_Tactical_Ultimate_Striker_Block__Kit

How To Install
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAJKLHNRF04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEaVMxkp8PM&feature=related

M&P Shooter
09-05-2010, 20:49
This is why I contacted the PC trying to figure out what they did. If they already did some sear upgrades and tuning I didn't want to undo it but since they have no idea what they did I guess I will just decide. Maybe I will replace the sear on my .40 and see how I like it compared to the .45.
If you look at your sear at the part that is engaged by the trigger bar and it is cut rounded it is stock. A Apex or modified sear is cut on a flat on a angle so the trigger bar engages it later towards the end of your trigger pull. If your striker arm is not touched it will be black and needs to be lightly hit with a super fine sanding wheel to take off the finish and then polished with metal polish and a cloth dremell bit on high. To check the safety plunger just look at the bottom of it that sticks out, a stock plunger is kind of blocky and tarnished looking compared to the Apex USB which is rounded and polished.