Stoeger Coach Gun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stoeger Coach Gun

3rdgen40
12-25-2009, 04:41
I know, it really isn't a "Tactical" shotgun.I already have a Mossy 500 Tactical.I am thinking of getting a short double to add to my HD arsenal.Just wondering if anyone out there has one of these ? Any thoughts or suggestions on using a coach gun for HD ?

Darkangel1846
12-25-2009, 11:46
I know, it really isn't a "Tactical" shotgun.I already have a Mossy 500 Tactical.I am thinking of getting a short double to add to my HD arsenal.Just wondering if anyone out there has one of these ? Any thoughts or suggestions on using a coach gun for HD ?

I used to do Cowboy action shooting....used a Rossi 20G DB with external hammers. Now I keep it in the computer room for HD. 2 barrels with 3 inch Double O will do the trick:wavey:

DreamWeaver88
12-25-2009, 12:07
Stoeger makes a "Tactical" version of their coach gun that looks interesting, IMO.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/stoeger-double-defense-01.jpg

DW

therealtwitch
12-25-2009, 13:18
it looks cool but I don't like and have heard many bad things about its inertia trigger. I think I would get there standard coach gun in nickel with double triggers. its on my wish list

Nutt51
12-26-2009, 12:17
I have a Stoger 12ga.coach gun that has the satin nickle finish.
I shoot SASS cowboy with it and a pair of Ruger Vaqueros.
Mine has the wood stock and double set triggers.
Mine is about 8 years old and has served me well.
It is well made, but not top of the line by any means.
With the short double barrels in a 12ga. it can be a mighty
mean looking weapon from the wrong end.
I kept mine loaded with buckshot by my bed until I
bought my 870P.
It is handy and fun to shoot, you may be able to find one
used. Even new mine was reasonable.
Forget all the options you see attached to a short coach gun.
Someone posted a pic of one on the forum with the aimpoint type
sight, I thought it was a joke until I got to see one in a gun shop.
All you need is the right ammo and the bead sight with barrel that
short.

Stinger260
12-26-2009, 12:37
I checked one out at my local shop and thought it was really cool. They had it priced at about $350.00. I want it and may end up buying it but I don't think it is all that practical considering I have other guns that I consider great for home defense. But it sure does look cool.

Nutt51
12-27-2009, 10:42
Stinger,

If I was in the market for a HD shotgun in the $300 -$400 range,
I would go with the Remington Express HD, instead of the Stoeger
double. I bought mine to shoot SASS with exclusively and it is
a fun gun to have and shoot, but it would not be my first choice
for my sole HD gun.

Rebel_James
01-02-2010, 21:34
Stinger,

If I was in the market for a HD shotgun in the $300 -$400 range,
I would go with the Remington Express HD, instead of the Stoeger
double. I bought mine to shoot SASS with exclusively and it is
a fun gun to have and shoot, but it would not be my first choice
for my sole HD gun.

It might not be your first choice for HD, but it you're serious in your SASS shooting, you'd be one deadly man with that double!!!!!!!!!

fowler
01-03-2010, 13:51
Still will stop you D.O.A.

Nutt51
01-09-2010, 10:47
fowler and reb,

Oh Yeah !!, Loaded with the right shells it would get the job
done no doubt and for several years that's what I kept by the bed at
night with the Glock on the table.
Like others have done I'm sure, After picking up the Stoeger and
breaking it open to make sure it was not loaded, I closed her up and
then stood in front of a mirror to see what it looked like facing
both those big holes. It was an intimidating sight up close and
would have taken the fight right out of me and changed my mind in
a hurry if I were looking down the receiving end of those two barrels loaded with 00 buck.
Get caught by the wife holding a shotgun on yourself in the mirror, priceless.
She still thinks I'm some kind of nut, but it keeps her guessing.

Viggo Mortensen's big 8 guage in "Appaloosa".
Now that's a big scary bada** shotgun.

byf43
01-09-2010, 11:06
it looks cool but I don't like and have heard many bad things about its inertia trigger. I think I would get there standard coach gun in nickel with double triggers. its on my wish list

The way that the trigger 're-sets' for the 2nd barrel is not unlike many higher-end O/Us.

If I'm not mistaken, my Beretta Silver Pigeon II has an inertia trigger, and has been (sofar) 100% reliable.

Also, Stoeger is owned by Beretta/Benelli, so. . . I have no worries.

Coach Gun Supreme (stainless/blued) is on my short list.

David Armstrong
01-09-2010, 12:02
When I was teaching a combat shotgun class we would regularly get folks coming through with a coach gun. Works quite well, and surprisingly the 2-round limit was not much of a handicap once they learned a few techniques for reloading quickly.

Dr. J Frame
01-09-2010, 12:19
I have the Stoeger Double Defense mentioned above. It's short(<36") and handy. Barrels are regulated perfectly to one another in terms of point-of-impact. It has become my go-to house gun during the night, and I load it with Noble's Law Enforcement 12-pellet 00-buck(2 3/4"). I picked up a 250rd case for it and it patterns so nicely.

Having disassembled nearly every firearm I've owned(+/-100?), I have a fairly good understanding of internal workings. The trigger system seems very simplistic and well designed. I have also spent literally thousands of hours on DPMS's ranges and have never seen or heard of a problem regarding such styles, as mentioned.

On mine I removed the factory recoil pad and fitted an aluminum buttplate. This decreased the LOP by 1". It also adds functionality to the stock by adding an impact device option. You find this feature on many military battle rifles worldwide. The shellholder is an Advanced Technology that is held into place with 6 wood screws. Light it a Primary Arms LED that's attached to the factory picatinny rail.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-1/1241521/stoeger002.JPG

drider
01-09-2010, 14:13
Is there an issue with controls since you're a lefty or ambidextrous? Since i also shoot long guns with my left hand?

Dr. J Frame
01-09-2010, 14:30
Is there an issue with controls since you're a lefty or ambidextrous? Since i also shoot long guns with my left hand?
All controls are dead center; trigger, safety, action release.
Right barrel fires with first trigger pull, left fires with 2nd.
Trigger pull/reset feel is very similar to a Glock & other striker-type designs.

J.R. Bob Dobbs
01-10-2010, 00:11
I've got a Chinese "jing" brand repro 1800's coach gun, two hammers/triggers, hand cut checkering on stock. Cost me $99 new a few years ago, it's GREAT, wish I had bought several.

Have dispatched a copperhead with it, and its short length and simple action makes it a handy gun indeed. Mine doesn't stay loaded but I think a double-barrel would make a good HD gun, especially if you can quickly put a few extra shells in your pocket.

gnepig
01-10-2010, 15:25
I have the Stoeger Double Defense mentioned above. It's short(<36") and handy. Barrels are regulated perfectly to one another in terms of point-of-impact. It has become my go-to house gun during the night, and I load it with Noble's Law Enforcement 12-pellet 00-buck(2 3/4"). I picked up a 250rd case for it and it patterns so nicely.

Having disassembled nearly every firearm I've owned(+/-100?), I have a fairly good understanding of internal workings. The trigger system seems very simplistic and well designed. I have also spent literally thousands of hours on DPMS's ranges and have never seen or heard of a problem regarding such styles, as mentioned.

On mine I removed the factory recoil pad and fitted an aluminum buttplate. This decreased the LOP by 1". It also adds functionality to the stock by adding an impact device option. You find this feature on many military battle rifles worldwide. The shellholder is an Advanced Technology that is held into place with 6 wood screws. Light it a Primary Arms LED that's attached to the factory picatinny rail.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-1/1241521/stoeger002.JPG

Quick queston DR J, do the spent shells eject when you break it open or do you have to pick them out?

Dr. J Frame
01-10-2010, 15:40
Quick queston DR J, do the spent shells eject when you break it open or do you have to pick them out?
They only extract. Not eject. But you just jerk the weapon rearward 1" with an open action and the empties eject very fast and easily. You can see the method in this video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgwHQCJwWw About 3/4 of the way through.

You wouldn't want ejectors on a defensive sxs, or I wouldn't anyway. If you have only fired one round and need to replenish, opening the action would eject both the fired shell and the live round onto the ground. And you might need that round before the engagement is over. The way it's set up now is very fast whether it's a 1 or 2 chamber reload.

gnepig
01-11-2010, 00:46
They only extract. Not eject. But you just jerk the weapon rearward 1" with an open action and the empties eject very fast and easily. You can see the method in this video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgwHQCJwWw About 3/4 of the way through.

You wouldn't want ejectors on a defensive sxs, or I wouldn't anyway. If you have only fired one round and need to replenish, opening the action would eject both the fired shell and the live round onto the ground. And you might need that round before the engagement is over. The way it's set up now is very fast whether it's a 1 or 2 chamber reload.

Thanx for the reply, I think I want one of these now...

Australia_G34
01-11-2010, 03:41
Very popular in Australia atm, considering we can't own pump action or semi auto shotguns anymore. Mainly used for IPSC. Alot of people are making them "tacticool" with pistol grip stocks and red dots, not much point as you go to jail here if you use a firearms for self defense. They are $565 here