Any 270 Weatherby Mag fans here? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any 270 Weatherby Mag fans here?

mojo67
12-25-2009, 20:23
Hello all, I'm considering adding another gun to my collection and am really intrigued by the 270wby. It seems very versatile and has really impressive ballistics. I'm aware it's expensive to shoot, burns a hat full of powder and recoils quite hard, but this is not an issue to me. I just like the less popular rounds and don't mind the added cost of the Weatherby.(Please don't reccomend the 270WSM as I'm not interested)

Any 270wby fans here with useful in-sight on the cartridge? Are there any idiosyncrasies I should be aware of? Does it shoot factory loads well? Is it finicky to load for and does it respond well to reloading? If I can get a big yammering magnum cartridge to shoot an inch or better, I'll be happy.

Thanks in advance for any insight provided.

MOJO

texmex
12-25-2009, 21:01
The 270 Weatherby was actually the first Weatherby cartridge being designed around 1943. It is based on the 300 H&H case shortened and necked down. The 257 and 7MM Weatherby cartridges are based on the 270 Weatherby. It's blown out design and double radius shoulder were intended to obtain maximum velocity at this bore diameter. A larger case would (especially with the powders availible in 1943) just burn more powder with little increase in velocity, increased recoil and reduced barrel life. The 270 was always one of Roy Weatherby's favorite cartridges although the 300 is what he became famous for.

Factory ammo for this cartridge is loaded to maximum performance and is hard to improve on with handloads. Handloads (reloads) can cut the cost of shooting this cartridge considerably. Taking full advantage of the extra velocity of this cartridge means using premium bullets that offer expansion over a wide range of velocities while maintaining bullet integrity by avoiding core seperation or fragmentation. The bullet needs to expand at normal 270 velocity when striking game at extended range and needs to hold together at increased velocity when striking game at close range.

It is not a tremendously better cartridge than the 270 Winchester, 270 Winchester Short Magnum or 7MM Remington Magnum for the average meat and potatoes kink of guy. For the connoisseur, it is a premium cartridge for a premium rifle and does offer excellent performance in this caliber.

glock20c10mm
12-26-2009, 14:21
Hello all, I'm considering adding another gun to my collection and am really intrigued by the 270wby.
Which rifle in the Weatherby line-up?

Any 270wby fans here with useful in-sight on the cartridge?
With the right bullet selection (Weatherby offers 9 choices) it's perfectly capable of taking any game animal in North America but the big bears. Obviously trajectory will be laser-like.

Are there any idiosyncrasies I should be aware of?
NONE

Does it shoot factory loads well?
What is "it"? All Weatherby rifles are guaranteed to shoot 1.5" groups or better. I'm quite sure if you buy a Weatherby Mark V Accumark that with most or all of the 9 Weatherby load offerings in 270 Wby Mag, groups should be -1" @ 100 yards.

Is it finicky to load for and does it respond well to reloading?
According to my six reloading manuals there is no issue with handloading the 270 Wby Mag in any way whatsoever.

If I can get a big yammering magnum cartridge to shoot an inch or better, I'll be happy.
I expect you'll be happy! :woohoo:

Danny Reid
12-26-2009, 15:24
Let me add just one thing: it's LOUD!!!!!!!!

G20Cs comments are spot on!

bush pilot
12-26-2009, 18:08
I've got a Mark V (German) in .270 Wby and love the cartridge. I hunt some pretty open country for mule deer and it's never failed to stop a deer in it's tracks even at extended ranges.

mojo67
12-27-2009, 07:37
The Weatherby rifle type I decided upon will definately be the Mark V Sporter. I'm more of a traditionalist and prefer wood over synthetic, which is why I'm not considering the Sub MOA or Accumark. Knowing the 1.5 in. accurracy guarantee from the factory, I was hoping inch to sub inch groups would be attainable without much hassle. I'll probably work with the factory loads first before venturing into reloading.

I'm pretty excited about this gun/caliber. I've always wanted a Weatherby in a Weatherby caliber. I'm looking forward to being the oddball at our hunting lease amongst all the guy's toting 270 Win's and 30-06's. Most probably won't even know what a 270wby is.

Thanks for the input thus far guy's. I appreciate hearing from folks who've actually own/owned a 270wby and have real world experience with one.

MOJO

dougader
12-27-2009, 16:43
I used to hunt with a guy who had a 270 Wby mag. Actually, I ordered it for him along with a nice Leupold scope.

I agree with most all the positive comments above... but IMO the 270 Wby does not recoil that bad at all. Much less than my Ruger 77 in 30-06.

goosedowner1
12-27-2009, 19:20
Good info, I'm thinking about buying a 257 Wby right now. Anybody have any comments on it?

Brass Nazi
12-29-2009, 11:28
Good info, I'm thinking about buying a 257 Wby right now. Anybody have any comments on it?

Shoots like a laser.

Recoils comparable to a .270win.

Requires the use of heavy for caliber premium bullets.

Burns a lot more powder for a marginal gain in velocity over a 25-06.

glock20c10mm
12-29-2009, 19:02
Other than that it's hard on barrel life (let the barrel cool for a few minutes between shots), about anything else is a plus. Recoil should be perfectly acceptable to most, and, it will reach out to the next zip code to drop game. I wouldn't recommend it for elk, but with the right bullet it would drop one in a pinch with good shot placement.

Good Shooting,
Craig

glock20c10mm
12-29-2009, 19:06
The Weatherby rifle type I decided upon will definately be the Mark V Sporter.

MOJO
That should be fine anyway. I highly suspect most Weatherby Mark V rifles will shoot an inch or less with most available factory loads for a chosen cartridge. If it wasn't common for them to do so, I don't think they could GUARANTEE a 1.5" group, cold barrel or not. I'ld be willing to bet a pretty good chunk of change you'll be more than happy.

tjpet
01-02-2010, 17:20
I've owned both calibers: a Ruger #1 .270WBM and a Mark V .257WBM. Both shot accurately and killed BG well - but not noticeably better then a standard .270 or 25/06.

I sold the #1 to a friend who thought he'd found the perfect gun/caliber combo and traded the Mark V off towards a Winchester 21 shotgun. Never regretted either deal and the Model 21 is now worth a little over 3 times what I gave for it.

glock2740
01-05-2010, 23:15
I love my .300Wby. And I've always wanted a .257Wby., but haven't ever gotten around to getting one. The .270Wby. is appealing, but I went in the .270WSM direction.

GIockGuy24
01-06-2010, 21:39
I have an old Sako rifle that is factory chambered in 270 Weatherby Magnum.

Austinite
01-07-2010, 00:50
I had a Mark V (Japanese) in .257 Weatherby mag and it never shot worth a flip with Weatherby or Federal ammo (Federal loaded a 115 grain TB bear claw at one time).

Despite the poor accuracy (~2" at 100), this thing hit like an absolute hammer. I've shot dozens of deer with a .280 and .308 with various loads and the .257 WM dropped the deer faster on average.

I sold the rifle and don't regret it one bit.

Doc Pathfinder
01-08-2010, 13:00
I don't know much about the 270 Weatherby, Never having shot one, But my 257 Weatherby Magnum Vanguard tries to put 110 gr. Accupoints all through 1 hole at 100 yards. If you let the barrell cool between shots it will shoot 1/2" groups pretty easy with the factory ammo. Recoil is very light also.