Break in........... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Break in...........

EL COLONEL
12-26-2009, 19:33
is it important to break a barrel in or is it just hype????

sourdough44
12-27-2009, 05:00
I just clean 1st & then shoot, nothing special.

CanyonMan
12-27-2009, 22:21
is it important to break a barrel in or is it just hype????

A little of both. Hype and fact. Most barrels will "sweeten up" after the first 100/200rds. This DOES NOT mean they wont shoot good out of the box, nor does it mean you "must" break it in. A real good barrel will just naturally sweeten in time. I have 'one' of my remington 700's that would do a 3 shot group at 100 yds and covered with a dime out of the box. Others got a bit better over time.

A great barrel will sweeten over time. A crappy barrel never will.....

Ammo, scope, rings, mounts, all factor in to how the gun will shoot, and the shooter is a big factor as well.. ;)

Breaking in a barrel ? As i said, most good quality barrels will shoot good out of the box, but, they do sweeten up with time...... I know i am repeating myself but it the best statement I can think for you.

Bottom line: Don't worry about barrel break in, and just go get it sighted in, zero'ed in real fine, and use good quality ammo for your caliber, and practice. Keep it clean with a good copper cleaner solvent, and enjoy it. If it is a half desent rifle, it will serve you well, and you should not worry about "break in." Just shoot it and get a very good sight in, and if it holds, Then do not worry about it. Go on and enjoy it. I would reccomend a good scope like a Zeiss, and Leoupold, and there are others but I see no need in a $1,000 scope for the average hunter.
Leoupold (sp) Bases's and rings, Get the duel dove tail rings and mounts. They hold better than any other on the market.

Don't get the dovetail on the front, and the duel big screws on the back... These can work loose, I've had it happen. Get front and back duel dove tail. They lock in and stay that way in very heavy recoil, and very rugged hunting conditions.

Good luck
Good shooting

CanyonMan