First Hunting Rifle....What next? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First Hunting Rifle....What next?

jchelle
12-27-2009, 08:17
I have recently decided to get into hunting. My wife bought me a used Savage 110(.270) with a Simmons scope. I believe it to be the package that Savage sold it with. I have a few questions......
1.) Should I take it to a gunsmith and have them check it out before shooting? It was bought at a reputable gun/pawn dealer.

2.) Should I reset the wind/elevation adjustments to dead center and start from fresh to scope it in?

3.) What hunting accessories do you consider a must when you go into the woods?(i.e monopod, binoculars, knife, etc.)

Any other comments/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Hunting will be in FL and NC mostly. Probably no open fields, mainly brush and woods.

minnshooter
12-27-2009, 09:20
1. No, it doesn't need to go to a gunsmith unless you want to glass bed it or have some trigger work done on it.

2. You should always zero your new rifle. Most likely the scope was just slapped on and not sighted it. Go shoot it and sight it in.

3. A knife is always necessary, not sure how else you are going to field dress an animal. If the shots are close, binoculars aren't necesary but are always a good thing to have.

You never mentioned what you are hunting, I am going to assume deer maybe pigs?
The Savage is a great gun and will treat you well.

paynter2
12-27-2009, 09:29
First - make sure it's empty and that the barrel is clear. Clean the barrel with solvent and then a little oil. Make sure it's really clean.

I would just shoot it where it's sighted right now and adjust from there.

Did I say to make sure it's empty and the the barrel isn't obstructed?

Nice rifle - good caliber. Have fun and good luck! :wavey:

Bitmap
12-28-2009, 07:30
After making sure that the chamber and bore are clear (good advice on new guns as well as used) go sight it in. I would start at the 25 yard line or something similar. I've seen rifles with the point of impact a foot or more off the point of aim at 25 yards which could put you off the backstop at 100 yards or more. I wouldn't bother to reset the scope to mechanical zero before you shoot it.

Good luck and have fun. It sounds like your wife is a gem.

sourdough44
01-02-2010, 05:19
Did we do hunter safety yet? Maybe try to hook up with someone & go to the range if you have not shot rifles much. Do you have a 22 to practice some with? Hows that NRA membership coming?

vafish
01-02-2010, 13:10
I have recently decided to get into hunting. My wife bought me a used Savage 110(.270) with a Simmons scope. I believe it to be the package that Savage sold it with. I have a few questions......
1.) Should I take it to a gunsmith and have them check it out before shooting? It was bought at a reputable gun/pawn dealer.

2.) Should I reset the wind/elevation adjustments to dead center and start from fresh to scope it in?

3.) What hunting accessories do you consider a must when you go into the woods?(i.e monopod, binoculars, knife, etc.)

Any other comments/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Hunting will be in FL and NC mostly. Probably no open fields, mainly brush and woods.

1. It wouldn't hurt to have a gunsmith check it out, but it probably is not necessary.

2. No. If the gun was sighted in before it will probably be close for you. I'd start out at 25 yards and see how close you are. If you get it sighted in dead on at 25 yards you should be a couple of inches high at 100 yards. Then back on target around 200-225 yards and about 3" low at 300 yards. Sighted in this way you should be able to hold dead on the chest out to 300 yards without having to worry about hold over.

3. Things to always have on you when hunting: Knife, compass, water, food, hunting license, written permission if on private property, topographical map of hunting area, rubber gloves for gutting, radio for talking to hunting partner or cell phone.

paperairplane
01-06-2010, 16:00
All good advice here - I would add, that I carry at least the absolute minimum that I would want to have on me if I needed to spend the night in the woods. This is outside hunting gear, communications and navigation tools.

I carry at least the following on any hunt / hike in the woods:
- firesteel and a bic lighter
- tinder
- quart of water
- some type of food, granola bar, GORP, apple, etc
- kabar size knife
- Buck 110 size folder
- 25' paracord
- cheap $1 emergency poncho
- emergency 'space' blanket

This will pack into a 'fanny pack' amount of space and is certainly enough to make a night in the woods more like uncomfortable than deadly.

TheLastDaze
01-08-2010, 23:12
Did we do hunter safety yet? Maybe try to hook up with someone & go to the range if you have not shot rifles much. Do you have a 22 to practice some with? Hows that NRA membership coming?

x2, nra is mandatory before purchasing ammo.....

jchelle
01-09-2010, 14:20
Thanks for all the tips. I already support the NRA. I carry concealed and hope I always have that right.

I would be hunting deer, pig and some coyote in the off season.

I went to the range and didn't get real far. The only station that had an open bench was at 100 yards. I knew it might be a waste of time to start here, but i just wanted to shoot it anyways. The gun shot great, but it's aim was off:) i waited for an hour to get on the shorter rifle ranges, but they were packed. I did take it home and boresight it on my back porch. I haven't shot it since then, but i will definetely report back.

paynter2
01-09-2010, 15:25
Thanks for all the tips. I already support the NRA. I carry concealed and hope I always have that right.

I would be hunting deer, pig and some coyote in the off season.

I went to the range and didn't get real far. The only station that had an open bench was at 100 yards. I knew it might be a waste of time to start here, but i just wanted to shoot it anyways. The gun shot great, but it's aim was off:) i waited for an hour to get on the shorter rifle ranges, but they were packed. I did take it home and boresight it on my back porch. I haven't shot it since then, but i will definetely report back.

It's just fun to shoot eh?

I had trouble with my Leupold VX-II 3-9X. I sent it back to the company and put on a Nikon 2-7X for hunting last fall.

I got the Leupold back so now I have to put that on the rifle and re-sight it. Oh poor me!!! :whistling:

I did shoot a nice 8-pt with the Nikon. He was about 225 yards away off-hand. But, I like the Leupold.

HollowPoint .45
01-09-2010, 21:53
Anytime I set foot in the woods I have to following with me.

Good knife either a Buck 110 sized folder or a 4-5 inch fixed blade.
Short piece of good rope (20 feet of 3/8 should work) both for dragging deer and making a shelter if need be.
Bic lighter and a book of matches
Flashlight sometimes 2
space blanket
emergency poncho
Leatherman multi tool
.44 mag handgun
2 reloads of .44
bottle of water or filled canteen
maps of the area - unless I know the area

Now if I am hunting I add:

Binoculars
Nikon Rangefinder - probably can skip this if you are woods hunting
gloves and face mask
spare ammo for the rifle
scent killer
calls

EL COLONEL
01-21-2010, 20:53
Camo cap, camo face mask, gut hook or knife with gut hook , leather gloves , duct tape, latex gloves, whistle, pen, extra batteries for flash light, EAR PLUGS, scope cleaning pen or special cloth, small zip ties, ...............