Ak-47 s being retired [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ak-47 s being retired

mpow66m
12-27-2009, 18:56
Is it true the AKs are being phased out for a new rifle for the Russian Milatary

CarlosC
12-27-2009, 20:03
And being replaced with what? Where did you hear this from? The last I heard was that the AN-94 was slated to replace the AK, but that was years ago and there wasn't enough money to make that happen, so they decided to keep the AK and just make improvements. They also decided to keep the Abakan in production, but at very low rates and they're mostly used by highly specialized units.

PlasticGuy
12-28-2009, 07:52
Considering that the original producer of AK47's in Russia is going bankrupt largely because the Russian government is defaulting on payment for tens of thousands of AK style rifles, I highly doubt they have any money to buy anything else. They'd love to switch to the AN-94, but there's no cash to buy it with.

mpow66m
12-28-2009, 08:39
I believe i heard it on the radio the other day,should heve paid more attention.but in any case i was just wondering.Is it possible to buy an AN-94 here?

PlasticGuy
12-28-2009, 09:01
I believe i heard it on the radio the other day,should heve paid more attention.but in any case i was just wondering.Is it possible to buy an AN-94 here?
No. They couldn't be imported in their current form, even if there was a semi-auto variant.

WIG19
12-28-2009, 13:46
AK/AKM-47 replaced 1974 with AK-74 (5.45x39).
Plastic Guy is correct, we can't import, not to mention they won't export (apparently even to Dingbat in Chief Chavez) if the current Wiki entry is any indicator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN-94

Just my opinion, but the AN-94 has become a cost-prohibitive boondoggle. It is way too costly to make standard issue, considering that they must get 2-yr draftees up to speed and, by the time they have any specialized training, they only get about a year's worth of real service out of them. Not the crowd you want to field a costly over-engineered system to.

Also imo, they may have felt the need to get "rail/accessory happy" following the west (while some of the west are coming back to a reliable plain battle rifle). Lots still good 'bout a well-made AK74 and, if you don't need high-speed pills bouncing around in a CQB environment, there's always 7.62x39 HP's in the original.
;)

Quiet
12-28-2009, 16:11
The Soviet military replaced the AK-47 in 1954, when they adopted the AKM.
The AKM was in turn replaced by the AK-74 in 1974. The AKM stayed in use with reserve units.
During the late-1980s/early-1990s, the AK-74 was upgraded to the AK-74M.
In 1994, the AN-94 was selected to replace the AK-74M.

The Russian military currently uses the AN-94, AK-74M and AKM.

mpow66m
12-29-2009, 08:26
Being new to AKs,the russians no longer use a .30 cal round?is it me or are bullets getting smaller?how is the terminal perfomance of a 5.45x39mm compared to the 7.62x39?

thnx for the info all.

Flinter
12-29-2009, 16:58
The Russians still use the AKM on a limited scale, so yes they do still use the .30 cal.

Novocaine
01-02-2010, 04:55
The only reason Russians still use AKM is suppressed operation. When numbers of 9 X 39 weapons like Val will become sufficient AKM will be phased out.

AN-94 by all accounts is too complex (both in design and operation), expensive and lacks in reliability department. Whatever the actual replacement for -74 will be it will not be Nikonov. My bet is on something along the lines of AEK.

sigpro357
01-02-2010, 17:38
I can't see the AN94 being reliable enough for extended service. Have you ever noticed the atachment at the muzzle. Its a reel with a cable which allows the secondary impulse shot with the single squeeze of the trigger. How long do you think a cable will last in rough conditions.

Novocaine
01-03-2010, 04:32
I can't see the AN94 being reliable enough for extended service. Have you ever noticed the atachment at the muzzle. Its a reel with a cable which allows the secondary impulse shot with the single squeeze of the trigger. How long do you think a cable will last in rough conditions.

:) ...and so the legend was born.

Attachment at the muzzle is a flash suppressor/ muzzle brake. It's a solid part that can't be taken apart. Can be taken off with no tools though.

The reel that you have heard of is located just forward of the chamber- about half way between the mag and the end of a forearm. Not really a reel either as the cable is not attached to it (like, say, in a yo-yo). Itís a simple guide roller, cable just loops around it. Pushes the round out of the mag forward into the elevator as the carrier moves back.

To be fair the gun itself is a marvel of engineering. Iím surprised, however, it did well during the trials at all not to mention emerging a victor.

Shortcomings of this gun are just too numerous to list and will require a separate thread. This gun has a definite potential but nobody tried to polish it into an acceptable service weapon in years since its adoption. With a chief designer gone I doubt anyone ever will. The gun will fade.

I would keep an eye on AEK-971.

mpow66m
01-03-2010, 13:23
The AEK is also an old design,dont they have anything newer coming down the pipe?

45reloader
01-03-2010, 15:23
That AN-94 is just plain ugly.

Novocaine
01-03-2010, 15:50
The AEK is also an old design,dont they have anything newer coming down the pipe?

Pretty sure they do. Just watch out for those things to be declassified in a fifty years or so. :)

AEK is as old as AN but it is being constantly refined. AN-94 idles even though it can not afford to do it to survive. It's like it was decided to let it die.

Novocaine
01-03-2010, 15:58
That AN-94 is just plain ugly.

That is true. But in the words of Mona Lisa Vito "would you give a f... what kind of pants the SOB who just shot you was wearing?"

The thing can put both rounds of a two shot burst into the same quarter at 100 meters.

Flinter
01-03-2010, 20:16
The only reason Russians still use AKM is suppressed operation.

That is not the whole picture. You still see fairly recent pictures of unsurpressed AKMs in limited usage.

Javelin
01-03-2010, 20:58
Depends where you look in Russia will depend on what the Soldiers are carrying for equipment. But this is a pretty standard depiction.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/Russian_soldier.jpg

http://www.dragunov.net/action/russian_svd_pose.jpg

http://www.defensetech.org/images/Russian-Camo.jpg

http://www.independent.ie/multimedia/archive/00198/russianSoldier_198104t.jpg

Novocaine
01-03-2010, 21:41
That is not the whole picture. You still see fairly recent pictures of unsurpressed AKMs in limited usage.

Sure. It's not like you switch weapons at your leisure. If you don't need suppressor you take it off, not swap your gun for -74. You can use better ammo without the suppressor. In fact, youíre very unlikely to come across actual battlefield photos of a can attached.

If you see a picture of guy with AKM or AKMS rest assured suppressed operation is in his unit's job description. Which also makes it very likely for his AK to be fitted with a launcher.

Novocaine
01-03-2010, 23:07
Here some AKMBs "in limited use" for ya. My buddies from 22nd OBrSpN (spetsnaz brigade). North Caucasus '03. Good times.

Anyone care to guess a Major, company commander in this photo? :)

Flinter
01-06-2010, 18:10
Guess what, if you remove the suppressor you are then using it unsurpressed. Pay attention to what is being said here.

Novocaine
01-07-2010, 06:50
Guess what, if you remove the suppressor you are then using it unsurpressed. Pay attention to what is being said here.

Not sure what your point is. If you're aware of a Russian combat ready (heck, any) military outfit that still issues AKM/AKMS (not AKMB/AKMSB), by all means let's hear it.

RMTactical
01-07-2010, 15:36
Yeah, it's called the AK-74! :rofl:

Novocaine
01-07-2010, 18:17
Yeah, it's called the AK-74! :rofl:

:)
Well, just to make it clear. AKM in 5.45, AKM-47 and AKM-74 share one thing with the spoon. There's no such thing.