If you plan to drink..

..first plan a safe way to get back home! :whistling:

Four Knives
12-28-2009, 13:21
Powerful video.

Thank you.

steelhorses
12-28-2009, 15:09
Couldn't watch all of it. Glad I don't drink and drive.

why
12-28-2009, 16:19
Damn, even the sober ones are driving on the wrong side of the road! No wonder there's deaths!

Dennis in MA
12-28-2009, 21:14
Damn, even the sober ones are driving on the wrong side of the road! No wonder there's deaths!

I was thinking hte same thing. LOL

Good video, tho.

nursetim
12-28-2009, 22:20
WOW! Excellent video that needs to be reworked for the American crowd an shown.

kckndrgn
12-29-2009, 08:48
WOW, Very powerful video. Somehow I don't think that could air in the US though, it might upset some people and we wouldn't want that!

Ace of Spades
12-29-2009, 09:22
man o man....

Ronaldo
12-29-2009, 09:46
There is a special place in Hell for those who are stupid and careless enough to drive drunk. I have seen firsthand the results of this, which is why I never touch a drop and drive.

My tolerance for worthless drunk drivers is right down there with pedophiles; they both cause untold damage and human suffering.

Ronaldo, not a saint, just a sinner forgiven by the grace of Jesus Christ.

W.E.G.
12-29-2009, 09:57
I cried.

crimsonaudio
12-29-2009, 10:25
I cried.
Ditto.

pugman
12-29-2009, 11:03
[Raises hand]

I joined that club 7/7/1991. While I can say I was young and stupid it pertains more to the fact I didn't take the second test-I'm not a cop hater but I really think I didn't have much of a chance once I stepped out of the vehicle. Two really drunk friends ask me to drive them home and I started and paid the price.

Probably the worse part: Wisconsin passed a law 4 months before my 7 years were up making second offenses at any time habitual offenders-yep, I get busted 40 years later I'm habitual...I would give you stupid but not habitual...not that I have any intent on a repeat performance

And like it matters here in Wisconsin--we have had people on the news with 12 offenses still driving cars. A friend of mine nearly 20 years ago killed a man drunk driving and got 5 years and was out in just over 4....that ain't right.

HAMMERHEAD
12-29-2009, 12:48
It would be a shame to end up killing ourselves while celebrating after all the money and time we spend preparing to survive catastrophic events.

LongGun1
12-04-2011, 19:40
Bump for the 2011 Holiday Season! :supergrin:

Glock30Eric
12-04-2011, 20:06
Bump for the 2011 Holiday Season! :supergrin:

Wow it was from 2009...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

LongGun1
12-04-2011, 20:29
Wow it was from 2009...

I must have seen the video dozens of times..

..still gives me chill bumps! :shocked:

Stay Safe! :supergrin:

Newcop761
12-05-2011, 01:57
That's powerful.

Thanks for posting that.

Kieller
12-05-2011, 12:03
Great reminder for the holiday season.

Kayaker
12-05-2011, 13:44
Thank you. It brought tears to my eyes, too.

thesurefire
12-05-2011, 17:00
Thanks for posting that.

It's easy to forget surviving and preparing needs to be a part of your daily life. Wear a seatbelt. Look both ways before you cross the street. Everyone please be as safe as you can over the holidays.

It really strikes home for me, a year ago over the holiday a friend of a mine (just a normal guy) had too much to drink and was driving drunk and went off the road, hurting himself badly.

Dexters
12-05-2011, 20:53
I must have seen the video dozens of times..

..still gives me chill bumps! :shocked:

LG1 have a happy holiday season!

Dalton Wayne
12-05-2011, 21:04
I'm am a victim of a drunk driver,
16 years ago my wife and I were handicapped by a drunk driver, I lost my career and almost lost my life and my wife.
Please don't drink and drive!

crimsonaudio
12-05-2011, 22:07
16 years ago my wife and I were handicapped by a drunk driver, I lost my career and almost lost my life and my wife.
Wow, so sorry to hear that.

Wish more people understood the impact of their actions.

motorcycleman
12-06-2011, 07:11
Wow! Great video. I think I'll show it to my adult students. I know the little ones won't be able to handle it. This vid gives a great perspective of the consequences of drinking and driving. It should be required viewing in all drivers education classes. Unfortunately here in Brasilia, the holiday death count sounds like a war zone. Drive defensively!! Tim

Alchemy
12-08-2011, 12:38
Thank's for re-posting that LG1, unfortunately this happens
everyday in this country.

It's worse during the holiday's though.

The majority of my life has been in the medical field.

There's not anything much worse than having to clean
up a 10 y/o child for their parents to see the body the aftermath and the personal trauma that it causes.:crying:

Bilbo Bagins
12-08-2011, 14:08
Wow, I didn't see this the last 2 years. I got to admit some of the crash scene, effect and acting was pretty top notch for a PSA. Its a long set up, just fast foward to 2:00 to start the carnage.

The video is like the song. Everybody parties, everybody drives, everybody crashes, some people die, everybody cries, and everyone who drives and don't die goes to jail.

Pretty simple message there

I don't think it too brutal for America TV, just maybe keep it away from young kids shows. Trust me if this is still around, my kids will see it when they get their Drivers license.

LongGun1
12-21-2011, 11:10
LG1 have a happy holiday season!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you also! :wavey:

Harbour
12-22-2011, 17:10
I'm not planning to drink or drive.

Late nights on weekends, and especially on holidays, the roads are rotten with drunks and cops.

Best way to have a Merry Christmas is to stay off the roads.....period.

Texas357
12-23-2011, 02:02
I don't think it too brutal for America TV, just maybe keep it away from young kids shows. Trust me if this is still around, my kids will see it when they get their Drivers license.

Training kids to disapprove of drunk drivers long before they have their first drink is probably more effective than trying to convince them as adults that they should disapprove of something they have probably themselves already done.

sdsnet
12-23-2011, 03:36
Tagged for later review. Thank you for posting this.

AA#5
12-23-2011, 03:57
Thanks for posting, but......unfortunately, I can almost hear some who watch it chuckle & say something stupid like, "Well, those people can't handle their liquor but I can."

Besides, people who drink excessively are not capable of logical thinking due to brain damage; & that includes damage to the "conscience" part of their brain - which is why drunks don't have a conscience.

Also, IMO, there is something wrong with focusing on the threat of arrest & conviction for drunk driving, rather than a much better reason for not doing it - which is the fact that you can ruin someone's life or kill them.

Dexters
12-23-2011, 10:59
Also, IMO, there is something wrong with focusing on the threat of arrest & conviction for drunk driving, rather than a much better reason for not doing it - which is the fact that you can ruin someone's life or kill them.

It should be a multi angle approach ... some fear of the law, some concern for others, some concern for self, some peer pressure, etc.

Different approaches work for different people.

LongGun1
12-25-2011, 09:32
Christmas Bumpage! :supergrin:

Aux Bear
12-25-2011, 09:56
Thanks for the Post. I lost my Mom to a DUI driver in Nov. 79. I still miss her. She never got to see my kids.

LongGun1
12-31-2011, 01:12
Thanks for the Post. I lost my Mom to a DUI driver in Nov. 79. I still miss her. She never got to see my kids.

Sorry for your loss!

Stories like yours are the reason I am adamant about the message of this thread..

..so those who might drink & drive might consider the potential consequences of their actions..

...and those who don't drink & drive might be extra alert for those who are!

Alchemy
12-31-2011, 21:35

Words can't put into feelings what you have been going thru for
over 30yrs.

Aside from the human carnage and devistated lives that these
people lay in their wake.

A simple DUI in my state will now cost you 14K to get out from
under. :upeyes:

Rally Vincent
12-31-2011, 22:18
You guys cried because of a fake video? That's like crying because of a movie. I'll never understand that. But yeah, drunk driving is bad.

LongGun1
01-01-2012, 00:30
You guys cried because of a fake video?

I noticed some of the actors had lots of old facial scars..

..would not be surprised if it was all too real for them! :whistling:

Rally Vincent
01-01-2012, 13:31
I noticed some of the actors had lots of old facial scars..

..would not be surprised if it was all too real for them! :whistling:

Yeah, being a stuntman is super dangerous.

LongGun1
12-09-2012, 22:30
Bump for the 2012 Holiday Season!

nikerret
12-11-2012, 14:21
That video reminded me of the first time I had to tell a parent their child wouldn't be coming home. Terrible feeling.

LongGun1
12-16-2012, 22:42
That video reminded me of the first time I had to tell a parent their child wouldn't be coming home. Terrible feeling.

I have friends with similar stories....heart wrenching!

LongGun1
11-29-2013, 14:09
It is that time once again...:whistling:

TAC Campaign - 20 year Anniversary retrospective montage "Everybody Hurts" music by REM TV ad - YouTube

..stay safe this holiday season! :supergrin:

Batesmotel
11-29-2013, 14:36

We are in the same boat as you. 20 years ago a 20 year old kid passed out coming down a hill (9th south in Salt lake) at night, no lights. Ran a stop sign and broad sided us at about 60 MPH.

My wife spent a day in the hospital, I had to have a knee rebuilt and my right hand has been crippled ever since. Lost my job. Had to drop out of school. Massive damage to our lives and finances.

Then the legal system screwed us. Seems his daddy is INCREDIBLY well connected in the legal world. He was never charged. Blood test from the hospital was deemed inadmissible. Cops used photos of some old skid marks to charge me with the crash. That was dropped because it conflicted photographic evidence shot the night of the crash.
Private investigators followed me for weeks. That ended with a violent confrontation outside of my physical therapists office.

MADD wouldn't even help us prosecute the kid. Seems some lawyer came to them and told the local leadership it was actually our fault and had photos to show them. Not even our Crash. Told them we were drinking and trying to pin it on some innocent kid. MADD did offer to sell us a cook book to raise money for underage drinking awareness education. :steamed:

Only justice so far is the rich pretty boy looks like frankenstein now.

Drunk driving should be a hanging crime. Vehicular manslaughter my ass. It is premeditated murder.

bucky_925
11-29-2013, 16:34
Great post for the Holidays (or anytime for that matter). I love my bourbon, but only at home, where I'm safe and so is everyone else.

Boot Stomper
11-29-2013, 19:29
Great post. Very well done video. They need to run PSAs like this in the U.S. but this type of add is not as popular as it once was.

Diesel_Bomber
11-29-2013, 19:47
Powerful.

Drunk driving = attempted murder, and should be charged as such.

Brian Lee
11-30-2013, 18:09
Anyone who PLANS to drink and drive, is invited to my house so they can borrow my Glock to shoot themselves in the head first.

Brian Lee
11-30-2013, 18:21
Powerful.

And attempted murder should stop being punished so lightly just because a stroke of pure luck prevented the intended victim from dying.

Crimes should be punished according to the real intentions of the criminal, and not according to the coincidental outcome of the botched crime. Drunk driving can hardly be carried out without the intention of knowingly tossing everyone else's safety aside, and not caring that you risk causing them to die.

That's bad enough intentions to justify several years in the slammer even if nobody got killed IMO. Like with most of our crime problem, we could do a lot to reduce it if we had the moral courage to make examples out of a few who deserve to made examples of - but our courts & judges have so little moral courage.

nikerret
11-30-2013, 18:34
Drunk driving should be a hanging crime. Vehicular manslaughter my ass. It is premeditated murder.

Batesmotel, I'm sorry about your misfortune, but driving drunk is not premeditated murder.

And attempted murder should stop being punished so lightly just because a stroke of pure luck prevented the intended victim from dying.

Crimes should be punished according to the real intentions of the criminal, and not according to the coincidental outcome of the botched crime. Drunk driving can hardly be carried out without the intention of knowingly tossing everyone else's safety aside, and not caring that you risk causing them to die.

That's bad enough intentions to justify several years in the slammer even if nobody got killed IMO. Like with most of our crime problem, we could do a lot to reduce it if we had the moral courage to make examples out of a few who deserve to made examples of - but our courts & judges have so little moral courage.

Crimes definitely need to be punished more thoroughly. However, your statements are conflicting. You mention, "...real intentions of the criminal..." and "...drunk driving can hardly be carried out without the intention of knowingly tossing everyone else's safety aside..."

You are trying to pin a reckless act as an intention to do others harm. They are very different. An aside point, merely "tossing everyone's safety aside" is a far cry less than planning and intending to kill someone before setting the motion of events into action.

F drunk drivers, but there are proper laws in place that can be effective. They are rarely utilized. Same as every other crime. We don't need to bloat charges.

Deltic
12-02-2013, 06:44
Sorry TMI

fx77
12-02-2013, 07:28
Anyone remember the film Signal 30 ...driver's Ed in HS?

https://archive.org/details/Signal301959 (https://archive.org/details/Signal301959)

meleors
12-03-2013, 03:44
F drunk drivers, but there are proper laws in place that can be effective. They are rarely utilized. Same as every other crime. We don't need to bloat charges.

Let me tell you my story: From the age of 20 to my early 30's, I drove drunk damn near every day. The total times would number in the thousands and that is no joke.

Mon-Fri it was with the guys after work. Most evenings I was legally intoxicated. Sat night at the local bar and Sunday afternoon to evening at the local bar.

My logic at the time was that I drove better drunk than most folks do sober. I believed that I would never get in an accident and hurt myself or others. I was invincible!

The threat of arrest didn't really concern me. The penalties for a first time DUI are a joke. Besides, in all that time I was pulled over twice. The first time, after a field sobriety test, the officer told me to go home, which was two blocks away. The second time, the officer told me to move my vehicle into a parking spot, then he drove me to the station and had me call a friend to pick me up and drive me home.

Both times I am sure I was legally drunk.

If the punishment for a first time DUI was loss of driving privileges forever and/or a long term jail sentence, then I may have decided not to drive, but the existing penalties (at the time) were a joke and did not deter me at all.

I no longer drink alcohol. Was I an alcoholic then? I don't know. I quit drinking because I decided I didn't care for how it made me feel. It wasn't a conscious decision. I just started drinking less and less. Before I knew it, I no longer cared to drink.

To sum it up, I do believe stronger penalties would deter quite a few people from drunk driving.

quake
12-04-2013, 06:35
Drunk driving or tired driving either one. My wife & youngest son were on the way home from a family member's house Friday after thanksgiving; my wife napping in the passenger seat and my son driving. He dozed off and they woke up flipping in a field.

Flipped not quite three times, coming to rest on the passenger side. Both wearing their seatbelts and believe it or not, nothing more serious than bruses on either of them. Only one bruise on my son, but a LOT of bruising on my wife - she looks like she's covered in bruise-colored tattoos; arms, side & legs. But not a single broken bone between them.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/CRVwreck-cropped_zpsb5574582.jpg (http://s51.photobucket.com/user/quake316/media/CRVwreck-cropped_zpsb5574582.jpg.html)

The short version is - don't drive impaired; whether the impairment is due to beer, bourbon, or melatonin, impaired is impaired.

b3t0
12-04-2013, 08:24
The short version is - don't drive impaired; whether the impairment is due to beer, bourbon, or melatonin, impaired is impaired.

First off, glad you're family made out ok. But I completely agree with what you said. I believe there are studies out there that show tired driving to be just as dangerous as driving drunk. I used to drive from Connecticut to my home in PA, which was a 9hr drive after working 16 hour shifts. I always thought I was ok and just got a coffee and hit the road. Well one day I was about half way home and I happened to "wake up" not sure if I actually fell asleep or if I just nodded off for a second but my chin hit my chest and I jumped up and looked at the road, I was doing over 90mph and was halfway off the road in the grass on the median. That right there scared the hell out of me and I never drove like that again. Now my drive is only 5 hours, but if I find myself not being able to focus or pay attention properly, I pull off the road and take a nap.

As far as drunk driving, that's also an all to real situation for me. Two years ago, I was driving down a back road around midnight at about 60mph, speed limit was 55mph. I wasn't super familiar with this road, but was down it a few times before. Had my best friend with me, and we came up on a 4 way intersection that was a rather blind/hidden one. I had the right of way, the opposing roads had stop signs. Well the last second coming up to where I could see the road to my right, I saw headlights right in front of me. I think I had enough time to get my foot over the brake, but never was able to push it. Just an explosion...car settles and I check on my buddy, he's ok, bleeding and shocked but ok. I crawled out my window to check on the other driver and behold he wasn't in the car. I thought he ran, turns out he got ejected from the car. Call 911 etc, on the phone with them and then I hear him make a noise in the ditch about 80 feet from the car. Run over to check on him (I'm First Aid qualified) and realize immediately his injuries are too sever for me to attempt to help. Cops show up, they fly him away in the helicopter...at this point I never even thought about how I was. My left hand went through my windshield, I broke my fingers on my right hand from what I assume as punching the dash on impact and put a few teeth through my lips from the air bag. Glass all through me, cut up, banged up the works. Granted I made out very lucky but as soon as I walked over to the cop he demanded I get in the ambulance. After they cleared me, I went out to take pics etc of the crash for my own records. His car was littered with beer cans, case of beer on the front seat. This guy was absolutely hammered drunk. He turned out to be a friends boss, and the father of 2 kids my younger brothers were in school with. He broke his neck, pelvis, both legs, right arm, 6 vertebrate, half his face was basically cut off...he is very lucky he didn't die. Took him over a year and a half just to get back on his feet and out of a wheelchair. Not gonna lie, I was so angry at the time, and still am, but I didn't want to have his death on my conscious. It was a nightmare to deal with, took over 6 months just to get his insurance and information. Since, I've heard he's quit drinking and doing better. Overall I'm really lucky, all three of us were that night. I don't have pictures on my phone now, but I'll post some up later of the accident. It's true, that no one really thinks is gonna happen to them. But it does, and for people to be so irresponsible about their actions, I firmly believe there should be stricter laws in place for such things. Both situations really opened my eyes to the dangers on the road, and when to man up and know when to not let my ego take over. To take a break, or call for a ride. To plan ahead, and to ALWAYS pay the utmost attention to my surroundings. Sorry for the long winded post, but figured I would throw my experiences in. Cheers and happy holidays yall!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Ohub Campfire mobile app

LongGun1
12-04-2013, 08:43
Drunk driving or tired driving either one.

Sorry to hear about this...but glad both are ok!! :thumbsup:

Speaking of driving tired..

Yesterday was a 670 mile trip for me.. :shocked:

...wokeup before 6am to after 11pm getting to bed last night..

..with a wakeup of 3am this morning & another hour drive in heavy fog :whistling:

Gonna be a long day! ! :upeyes:

quake
12-04-2013, 13:45
...glad both are ok
Yep, surprising with the amount of damage to the vehicle. Hard to tell in the pic, but the roof is substantially collapsed & it's just beat up everywhere except the front & rear ends; the sides took all the energy. (The front airbags never even deployed - all the side-impact airbags did, but the front bumper never impacted anything.)

Mama's pretty sore, but son pretty much just shrugged it off as just another day in the life of a yeti.

wjv
12-04-2013, 17:39
Should make every teen watch that video before handing him/her a license. .

When I was a teen, I had a friend kill 2 people while driving drunk. 17 yeas old and responsible for killing 2 people and making 2 small children orphans. .

He was doing 70+ in a 25 mph residential zone and broadsides a car pulling out of a driveway. Mom & Dad in the front and two kids in the back seat.

Another friend of mine was in the passenger seat (also drunk) when they hit the car. Neither of them were hurt beyond a few scrapes and bruises.

Thankfully I never enjoyed booze that much. I probably have less than 2 drinks a month, and almost always at home in the evening.

jakebrake
12-04-2013, 17:47
those commercials scared the living **** out of me. the one involving the oil tanker hit far too close to home for me.

jakebrake
12-04-2013, 17:49
Anyone remember the film Signal 30 ...driver's Ed in HS?

https://archive.org/details/Signal301959 (https://archive.org/details/Signal301959)

bob thought he could beat the train...bob was wrong.

jakebrake
12-04-2013, 17:57
i'll drive after I drink....coffee, that is.

I am a built in designated driver. I dont drink, I can remember the phone number to the local cab company for those that do, or I will give thm a ride home...after disabling their vehicle (done that more than once)

I will also come over bright and early with a sausage mcmuffin for breakfast for the day after...talk nice and loud the entire time.

nikerret
12-04-2013, 18:04
Yep, surprising with the amount of damage to the vehicle. Hard to tell in the pic, but the roof is substantially collapsed & it's just beat up everywhere except the front & rear ends; the sides took all the energy. (The front airbags never even deployed - all the side-impact airbags did, but the front bumper never impacted anything.)

I, too, am glad they are unharmed. However, I figured they were fine when I saw the picture. The roof isn't collapsed, much. The crush zones weren't even partially collapsed. The body work took the brunt of it. Seatbelts really do save a lot of lives and bodies from injuries. Airbags also help, but their deployment is not a very easy thing to predict.

I don't have many good photos on my personal phone, but I was surprised to find this guy walked home (over a mile), to call 911. He wasn't injured. This is one reason you don't swerve to miss a deer. He hit a power pole.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee316/nikerret/Wreck_zps068cd96d.jpg (http://s231.photobucket.com/user/nikerret/media/Wreck_zps068cd96d.jpg.html)

With the roof of his single cab mini-pickup.

RWBlue
12-11-2013, 14:33
With the Holidays upon us I would like to share a personal experience with my friends about drinking and driving. As you may know some of us have been known to have brushes with the authorities from time to time on the way home after a "social session" out with friends. Well, two days ago I was out for an evening with friends and had several cocktails followed by some rather nice red wine. Feeling jolly I still had the sense to know that I may be slightly over the limit.

That's when I did something that I've never done before - I took a cab home Sure enough on the way home there was a police road block, but since it was a cab they waved it past. I arrived home safely without incident. This was a real surprise, as I had never driven a cab before, I don't know where I got it and now that it's in my garage I don't know what to do with it. :-)

On a serious note, it is hard enough dodging the bad drivers, lets not add drunk tired drivers to the morons on the road.

WT
12-11-2013, 15:54
SIGNAL 30 - great movie. I remember all the girls in class screaming at some of the scenes.

LongGun1
12-24-2013, 15:28

NEOH212
12-25-2013, 00:11
I have zero and I'll say it again zero use for anyone that drives while impaired.

I still maintain the stance that if you drive impaired and it results in the death of someone that the death penalty should automatically be the sentence.

This way we don't have to worry about these *******s getting out and doing it again.

:steamed:

LongGun1
12-25-2013, 10:28
Merry Christmas everyone!

LongGun1
12-31-2013, 09:26
Last bump for 2013! :drunk: :cheers: