Special [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Special

EL COLONEL
12-28-2009, 18:40
Anybody in Texas hunt in a county with special antler restriction ? If so what does that mean?? Thanx.........:wavey:

EL COLONEL
12-29-2009, 14:37
Anybody know ??:dunno:

EL COLONEL
12-30-2009, 03:59
Texas Hunters ???????????

noway
12-30-2009, 09:09
Read the tx parks and wildlife guide, they lists the antler restrictions and details for each county.

It would post something along the lines of point length, number of points of forks, main beam and such. they have a good guide & photo examples.

CanyonMan
12-30-2009, 19:51
EL COLONEL,

I don't know what county your in or going to hunt. Our ranch is in Coke Co, and there are no restrictions here, "except,' on (some), private land, where the land owner has the "discretion" to antler length or age limit. We have antler restrictions even for our own family here on the place, even though we are a Non- Restricted county, "because" of our management philosophy for what is best for the herds future.

In counties where restrictions do apply, the LEGAL deer has to have at least one spike. In other words he can have two spikes, a spike on one side a fork on the other side, OR a full rack that measures 13" inside spread or bigger. (you can easily judge this buy the ears at attention). If the racks main beam, or the main beam front forks are even with the ear tips while at attention or wider, he IS LEGAL.

A 'basket rack', (full rack say 6 point or 8 point, but LESS than 13" inside spread), is ILLEGAL.

Again, if you hunt a lease, they can impose their own antler and or age limit restrictions, even in a non-restricted county.

As Noway said, it would be much easier for you to pick up a Texas outdoor annual, or look it up on line for the county you are interested in. If your hunting a lease in a "Non- Restricted" area. Make sure you ask a lot of questions before jumping in, and make sure you ask if the land owner restrictions apply to antler size and or age of deer. Some will do this some won't. Depends on their deer management philosophy. ;)

Good luck
Good hunting

CanyonMan

noway
12-31-2009, 09:06
The Col, you might want to review this link

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/game_management/deer/antler_restrictions/

Somewhere in the Booklet iirc, they should list your county and any restrictions. My TX homelands has restrictions, and the same as where I hunt here in FL. Size and numbers are what restricted, age is not a factor or even mention.

If you have a Park & Wildlife substation, they might have skulls with antlers attached to show your the difference, but Canyon man is right, look at the beam length, if the antlers are on the outside ( ears), you should be good.

Use the ears for measurements and judging. If your hunting a field and have no glass, and the horns can't be judge, pass it up.

EL COLONEL
12-31-2009, 17:38
No way, Canyon man , Thanks for your answers, very helpfull.....just one more question ,why cant you shoot a basket rack under the 13inches even if its full grown?? :wavey:

CanyonMan
12-31-2009, 23:05
No way, Canyon man , Thanks for your answers, very helpfull.....just one more question ,why cant you shoot a basket rack under the 13inches even if its full grown?? :wavey:

Chances are because mr basket will become MR. Bigger ! Let him grow ! ;)

The other ones are not productive in their antler growth. Two many 2 and 3 year olds running around with bad head gear and that can roll over on the next and the next, etc, generation. The one's that are 13" and wider will breed, and pass along good genetics, and the young Basket buck will do the same, (while he hopefully, next season and the next, if he lives, he will have a good rack).. and pass along good genetics to the herd insuring soundness and even health. The spikers and the runts, and the freaks need culling out, in order to help keep the herd healthy.

The Government will regulate things a bit more different than some private land owners will. Some of the Govs philosohy on management I agree with, a great deal I do not agree with.

We will cull out the "basket bucks" on our place here, IF we consider them to be 4 years old and still packin basket gear.... This does happen some, not often, but if things are really managed correctly the bucks usually turn out well.

Good hunting.

CanyonMan

G36's Rule
01-01-2010, 02:36

Because there are not that many people who can age a deer on the hoof as opposed to guessing at the width of antler.

And yes, I have killed several OLD bucks that were not over the antler restriction. Those are called cull bucks in most places I hunt.

TPWD thought they had to do something, so they did. It ain't perfect, or even smart, but they did something...

EL COLONEL
01-01-2010, 09:02
Thankx everyone......:cool: