9mm pistol with SHORT TRIGGER REACH [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9mm pistol with SHORT TRIGGER REACH

calviroman
12-29-2009, 17:03
Hi,

I'm a long-time Glock owner/shooter, and have 26, 27, 19, 17, ect. My wife wants a CCW permit. There are a few issues:

1. She is 5'4" with small hands/fingers and cannot get a PROPER grip on any of my pistols. She has been to the range with then 5-7 times, and hates the thick grip and (for her) long trigger reach. I bought her a Kahr P380, which DOES fit her hand, has appropriate trigger reach, and she likes. I consider a P380 with 80-grain DPX to be MARGINAL AT BEST, and would like to get her a 9mm pistol as well.

2. What 9mm pistols have the SHORTEST TRIGGER REACH? Sig P239? Kahr single stacks like the PM9? something else? Can a G26 with a grip reduction get as thin as these others?

3. She carries fancy purses (Coach). She will only CCW in her purse (ya I know all the cons but she wont budge on this). What is the best holster to put her P380 in in her purse? Any tips on attaching the holster to the insid e of the purse? Velcro?

moncoacp
12-29-2009, 18:15
Taurus 709 if the kinks have been worked out in the early models. I had one I returned because of issues, but it sure felt nice in the hand. Nice slim grip and short trigger reach although I can shoot the G26 with no problem. Also, although it is sacrilege to some, a G26 with a grip reduction could be the answer. Some pretty good work out there at reasonable prices. This one seems to do good work at a good price. http://gripreductions.com/index.htm (no affiliation, just some research I did for a friend)

calviroman
12-29-2009, 20:28
Next gun show I go to I need to handle a G26 with a grip redux to see how much of a reduction you actually get in trigger reach.

Looks like the best bets in thin 9mm's with short trigger reaches may be the Kahr pistols or the PPS. I'll have her check them both out and see what feels best.

jomocon
12-30-2009, 07:44
As another woman with small hands, I had the grip on my G26 reduced by Southwest Shooting Authority http://www.southwestshootingauthority.com/612600.html. (http://www.southwestshootingauthority.com/612600.html) Before the reduction, it was just the tip of my finger that reached he trigger. Now, I have a proper grip. Be sure to look at the "Create trigger-finger channel on firing side." This really helps a lot.

calviroman
12-30-2009, 08:05
Thanks, the grip reduction looks like a good option - that way she can just keep the G26 that she already has some experience with.

Lew-G17
12-30-2009, 17:20
Kahr PM9 or P9 depending on how they fit her hand. As dependable as a Glock and smaller and lighter to carry in the purse.

Makntracks
01-01-2010, 18:30
Taurus slim 9mm and a new arrived 380 slim. I'd go with the 9mm
Purses Try Galco
http://www.tacticalpantsusa.com/galcopurses.html

I just posted this link so u could see them, thats all.

FLA45fan
01-01-2010, 22:18
Sig P239 with the short trigger installed in 9mm - other wise the Kahrs are very nice (not the Micro series - I personally did not find the Micros to be 100% reliable YMMV)

PA Wizard
01-02-2010, 10:29
3. She carries fancy purses (Coach). She will only CCW in her purse (ya I know all the cons but she wont budge on this). What is the best holster to put her P380 in in her purse? Any tips on attaching the holster to the insid e of the purse? Velcro?

You might look into the Galco carry purses. I have it on [U]Very Good[U] authority that Galco handbags are manufactured by Coach. Obviously there is no way for me to verify, but I do trust my source. (The prices may also!) They have an even dozen, all made well. My wife likes hers, but likes her Tommy's gunpak better!

Good Luck!

Wiz

Ghost Tracker
01-02-2010, 10:41
Bowie Tactical does a very interesting "short trigger" job on the S&W M&P specifically designed to address this issue. A M&P 9C already features an interchangable backstrap. Install the smallest backstrap, have Bowie shorten the trigger reach, and your wife is good to go.

Have a good shoe/saddle shop modify her favorite Coach purse to facilitate a Milt Sparks (etc.) holster.

gsr
01-10-2010, 12:58
Coronado Leather makes some very nice, very well made handbags and other leather goods right here in the USA.