The turkeys are back [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The turkeys are back

Kayaker
12-29-2009, 18:42
Not pets I know, but I have previously written about a band of 22 or so wild turkeys that slept on the power lines at night, and wandered around our farm during the day. Neighbors live trapped them and allegedly they were shipped off to some of the other Hawaiian islands to improve the genetics; island populations tend to inbreed and produce unhealthy offspring. This bunch had already done so, several of them had damaged feet, limping along until the foot came off and then limping even worse, on their "peg".

Since nature abhors a vacuum, another bunch has since appeared, five males and about the same number of females. Right now the sexes are living apart, so I get to watch the six males strut and gobble around here trying to impress each other (boys at the bar smashing beer cans on their heads?).

This bunch however flies up into a huge African tulip tree about 50 yards from our house, so if I get outside at the right time I can watch and hear them fly up just before dark, and down at daylight. Fun to watch. No, I do not want to harvest or eat them, any more than than the dozen or so Kallij pheasants who also wander around, eating bugs and such (from Pakistan).

snowbird
01-22-2010, 17:52
Birds are fun to watch and admire anywhere. My grandparents taught me some of the common kinds of birds on their farm long ago. And at my job today, I still get outdoors a few times every shift and usually see some gulls or geese flying by.

The chickens on my grandparents' farm were free-ranging in the barnyard and ate bugs along with grain chickenfeed and some surplus skim milk poured into a trough. The barncats got their share first. If any milk curdled, chickens would sometimes eat the curds.

Hawaii's got a great climate for many different kinds of critters and trees, doesn't it?