Blackhawk Spec Ops stock really works! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk Spec Ops stock really works!

X-Spec
12-29-2009, 19:11
Got to shoot my 870 today for the first time with my new Blackhawk Spec Ops recoil reducing stock. This thing really works I say it reduces recoil about 50%.
Even made shooting 3" magnum slugs fairly comfortable.
I like.

therealtwitch
12-29-2009, 19:44
glad you like it. there a love it or hate it kind of thing. I had to shoot some 3 1/2" 00 bucks when I installed mine to make me a believer. now I love it.

dc2integra
12-29-2009, 20:04
post pics:cool:

Jon_R
12-29-2009, 20:08
I put one on m 590 and ended up taking it off. I just couldn't get my head low enough on it so I was shooting everything high. I want to give it another go soon and see if I can make it work or not. I also have a new 500 Mariner I could try it on but I expect it would be the same since they are both just standard bead sights.

aippi
12-29-2009, 23:26
Jon, the trick is that you raise the weapon up to your line of sight instead of move your face down to it. You have to do this for weapons with bead sight barrels and some guys may have to do it with other sights. Keep your head up and bring the weapon up high enough in the your shoulder to get the sight picture your sights require. Even if the weapon is high up in your shoulder your still OK because the stock takes the recoil out of the equation. You wil now get the sight picture you want.

Also, any who complains about cheek slap with a SpecOps can simply use the method and they will find out just how great these stocks work. And the sure work when shot properly.

BigDaddyK
12-29-2009, 23:33
I had no idea how much they work until I started trying to break in my saiga 12. With my 870 with knoxx stock, I could shoot anything all day no problem. I tried shooting some 3" shells in my saiga and had to take frequent breaks. Maybe it's a bit different with setups too but I don't know. I could be a **** too.

X-Spec
12-30-2009, 00:13
Jon, the trick is that you raise the weapon up to your line of sight instead of move your face down to it. You have to do this for weapons with bead sight barrels and some guys may have to do it with other sights. Keep your head up and bring the weapon up high enough in the your shoulder to get the sight picture your sights require. Even if the weapon is high up in your shoulder your still OK because the stock takes the recoil out of the equation. You wil now get the sight picture you want.

Also, any who complains about cheek slap with a SpecOps can simply use the method and they will find out just how great these stocks work. And the sure work when shot properly.
Would it help to use the small cheek riser that comes with the power pack add on?

aippi
12-30-2009, 00:39
The high cheek piece is for optics. I think it would be to high for other sights.

Jon_R
12-30-2009, 08:02

Thanks I will give it another shot. I mostly only shoot my shotguns in competition (IPSC 3-Gun) so when I put it on there and kept shooting over the plates I gave up but planned to give it another shot. I will drag it out for some practice and figure it out. I bought it mostly for my kids to use so I could adjust the LOP and absorb the recoil some for them. I wanted to see if using this stock I could make it softer then a 20.

X-Spec
12-30-2009, 08:34
The high cheek piece is for optics. I think it would be to high for other sights.
How's about the low cheek piece?

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/PowerPak-Modular-Cheek-Piece,212,167.htm

aippi
12-30-2009, 10:26
There is realy no "Low Cheek Piece" They call it that but they are full of BS as that is just a piece that allows you to mount the shell holder and battery compartment.

Whazoo
12-30-2009, 13:24

JD, I had the wire folding version and ended up in the "hate it" catagory. Perhaps the AR version is better but the wire stock was so wide that it was difficult to use w/out tilting one's head at an extreme manner. So I ended up with a "chin weld", which is ok for very close encounters, but not so much for beyond 10 meters> Not being one who favors specialized equipment (looking more for common repetitions in regards to mounting the rifle and shotgun) - I went back to the issued fixed stock. My question for you is - are your comments in regard to the top folding wire Blackhawk or the AR type stock? thanks

Indy_Guy_77
12-31-2009, 13:21
I believe that mine works!

It diminished felt recoil, as agreed to by a buddy of mine.

Didn't seem to decrease muzzle rise, though. Perhaps, though, that's just me. I'm not a very experienced shotgunner.

-J-

aippi
12-31-2009, 14:17
Only the M4 type stock not the folder. I would not even want to shoot the folder without body amorer on as that is what it is designed for. It takes very little of the recoil compare to the adjustable M4 type stock as the folder does not have the stock tube with the additional spring in it to help with recoil. The old Cop Stock was very uncomfortable to shoot and the newer Folder is not much better.

ARMAGEDDON201
12-31-2009, 18:49
I put one on m 590 and ended up taking it off. I just couldn't get my head low enough on it so I was shooting everything high. I want to give it another go soon and see if I can make it work or not. I also have a new 500 Mariner I could try it on but I expect it would be the same since they are both just standard bead sights.

I like to shoot with just the ball I can shoot out to 200 yrds I have a choate collapsable stock all steel very strong adds a nice balance to the moss 500 great for long shots.

aippi
01-01-2010, 05:03
The biggerst benifit of the SpecOps is not the recoil reduction but the fact it reduces muzzel flip is used correctly. It you grab the forend and lock your left arm you are locking up the weapon and defeating the design of the stock. You get the muzzle flip and recoil when you do that. The left arm has to be kept limber so as not to lock up the wepaon.

To get this down pat, fire some rounds with the forend just resting in an open palm. then begin to lightly grip the forend for a few rounds and consentrate on keeping the left arm limp so the weapon can cam back.

You will so get the feel of the right pressure to grip the forend with and control the weapon but not lock it up. You will know when you are doing it right when the muzzle is staying almost level with the ground.

I just watched a Michigan State Police Officer shoot an AI&P Tactical I built for his Department like he was shooting a .22 pump. It was perfect. I didn't like the fact that I was out shot on my own range, but he is Departmental Firearms Instuctor and their other weapons have the SpecOps and this guy has mastered that stock.

If you watch the 870 in the Knoxx video on the Blackhawk site, there is no muzzel rise. That means your are shooting it correctly.

.45 guy
01-24-2010, 23:09
Found this thread in a search. I was looking at the Spec Ops for my 870. I have a question maybe you could help with. Is there a shell carrier made that clamps to the side of the stock?

Jon_R
01-25-2010, 07:57
Found this thread in a search. I was looking at the Spec Ops for my 870. I have a question maybe you could help with. Is there a shell carrier made that clamps to the side of the stock?

Yes.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/PowerPak-Modular-Cheek-Piece,212,167.htm

.45 guy
01-25-2010, 10:38
I feel stupid. I looked on their site but didn't see one. Thank you.

Thrillhouse700
01-25-2010, 11:32
Yeah, I love my spec ops too. Only issue I have is the sight picture as well. Im a smaller guy so i can't move the gun up my shoulder anymore and I still don't get a great sight picture with the beads. I don't want to put ghost rings on it because then it will make shooting clays harder. It does however take magnum shells very well. The percussion and recoil rocks my brain and gives me headaches haha.

dc2integra
01-27-2010, 18:01

i know u know your shotguns would you recomend the blackhawk recoil reducing stock?cause im looking into purchasing one

mixflip
01-27-2010, 20:19
Their ads say they reduce felt recoil by 80%? Thats a tall order but if it comes even close to 80% I think I might invest in one for my pump?