draco ak pistol [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : draco ak pistol

02limitedwj
12-29-2009, 19:21
i just bought a draco ak pistol today...i work at a gun store and i was just wondering about the reliability of them and if anybody has pictures of them please share...also, what kind of accessories do you guys have with them??

Aceman
12-29-2009, 19:50
I'm so wanting one of those! I haven't heard anything bad....

Comment: 7.62x39 loses very little power out of a shortened barrel. Excellent PDW round!

The main accessory I' get would be a classic green cotton sling. Of course it will need some sort of rear mount.
Second might be a slightly better grip.
finally, any sort of close range sighting tool: Red dot, laser, whatever...

DustyJacket
12-29-2009, 19:50
SHow us your pictures, too.

Did you paint the tip orange? :)

I don't know anything about them. You can report on it to us, eh?

Quiet
12-29-2009, 22:38
Here is a pic of my CA legal Draco.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_I88A6C5UfDU/SzGdCypUbRI/AAAAAAAADXg/ptZNlCvaKak/s640/CIMG1501.JPG
Midwest Industries AK rail
Primary Arms Micro Dot
Tapco AK74 muzzle brake
Hogue AK grip

Use it as my car gun while driving between NV and CA.

9mm +p+
12-29-2009, 23:20
Ok, here's a pic of mine not a Draco but a Champion imported by century built in Romania by Cugir. I got mine in the spring of 07 when we lived deep in the hood and I wanted something small with lot's of power and just a scary look to it. I despise AR's and the range got several of these in and I took the plunge, not sorry either. Makes a neat little range gun that always draws lot's of attention from fellow shooters, it's just as accurate as a AK rifle to boot. I put a UTG quad rail fore end on it, changed the grip and installed the TruGlo red dot and single point sling. You're going to hear how they aren't effecient and how a folder is just a better idea, and that the recoil is 500 like and the flash his ungodly! All lies, for what I had in mind the pistol just makes more sense, recoil is hot 9mm+p+ range and flash wasn't bad before I put on the vortex, now it's a few sparks.

See below

9mm +p+
12-29-2009, 23:22
Well I screwed that up, here it is.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q281/nframe357/akpistolR.jpg

02limitedwj
12-30-2009, 09:14
those look awesome...im guessing the midwest industries rail will fit the draco pistol...i guess the short barrel throws me off

Glockdude1
12-30-2009, 09:22
SHow us your pictures, too.

Did you paint the tip orange? :)

I don't know anything about them. You can report on it to us, eh?

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r226/kwikrnu/orangeak.jpg

:shocked:

Navitimer
12-30-2009, 14:39
Those are some nice Dracos! Dracos are very reliable...basically its an AK (known throughout the world for its reliability), without a stock and shorten barrel to make it a legal pistol and there you go. Just hold on tight since it's still chambered in the 7.62 AK round!

Aceman
12-30-2009, 18:53
Gotta run it with a drum!

cb1
12-31-2009, 00:18
I bought one a couple weeks ago. I took it out once. Yes alot of fun. Probably not very practical. Mine fits perfectly in a tennis racket case. I have one from wilson and it fits perfect with the 30rd mag inserted. Picked it up for around $12. I think it needs a rail and a laser for aiming purposes. Be careful with that orange nut deal. I don't think it worked for the guy in TN in the park.

02limitedwj
12-31-2009, 11:29
thanks for the replies guys...i ordered the rail and a drum mag for it

Aceman
12-31-2009, 17:45
Cool thing about the draco is that most accessories - rails etc...will fit it.

PlasticGuy
12-31-2009, 19:34
...Comment: 7.62x39 loses very little power out of a shortened barrel. Excellent PDW round!...
A lot of people don't consider that, but it's very true. The Krinks in 7.62x39mm are very efficient PDW's.

Quiet
01-01-2010, 07:12
Comment: 7.62x39 loses very little power out of a shortened barrel. Excellent PDW round!
A lot of people don't consider that, but it's very true. The Krinks in 7.62x39mm are very efficient PDW's.

It's one of the reasons why I went with an AK pistol over an AR pistol.

cb1
01-01-2010, 10:54
Considering the price Draco just makes the most sense.

boston strangler
01-04-2010, 09:22
Great little guns. They run like a champ. The 7.62x39 is doing 2000-2100fps out of that 12" tube.

Ron3
01-06-2010, 21:03
Seems like these fall in the Desert Eagle catagory of firearms.

As in, play-guns.

I kinda wanted one too, but I thought, whats it good for? Plinking is all I came up with. And plinking is fun of course!

Can't this be made an SBR?

mixflip
01-06-2010, 21:44
Here is a pic of my CA legal Draco.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_I88A6C5UfDU/SzGdCypUbRI/AAAAAAAADXg/ptZNlCvaKak/s640/CIMG1501.JPG
Midwest Industries AK rail
Primary Arms Micro Dot
Tapco AK74 muzzle brake
Hogue AK grip

Use it as my car gun while driving between NV and CA.

Hey can you school me on how it is Ca. legal? I like it and I want one but I thought pistols with magazines forward of the trigger and detachable mags are "evil" in Ca?

RMTactical
01-06-2010, 21:58
What do these go for?

DJ Niner
01-06-2010, 22:35
Saw 'em on two different tables at a recent gunshow; $369 and $375, IIRC. I believe these were Century Arms guns. Looked kinda rough.

GerryV
01-07-2010, 08:54
Can't this be made an SBR?

Yup, fill out the proper ATF paperwork, pay your $200 for the tax stamp, and proceed with adding a stock. Probably one of the easiest ways to make an SBR.

RMTactical
01-07-2010, 15:35
Saw 'em on two different tables at a recent gunshow; $369 and $375, IIRC. I believe these were Century Arms guns. Looked kinda rough.

Well, I don't want any that would be considered "rough". Thanks.

Mofeen
01-07-2010, 16:32
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/Stepanov_AKS-74Us.jpg

Glockdude1
01-07-2010, 18:04
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/Stepanov_AKS-74Us.jpg

I'll take BOTH of the AK-74 Krinks!!

:supergrin:

Quiet
01-07-2010, 19:51
Hey can you school me on how it is Ca. legal? I like it and I want one but I thought pistols with magazines forward of the trigger and detachable mags are "evil" in Ca?

It's been modified with a magazine lock. The magazine lock makes it so that it can not use detachable magazines without the use of a tool.

So, while in CA, as long as it has a magazine lock and you use 10 round magazines in it, it does not meet the definition of an "assault weapon" per PC 12276.1, therefore making it 100% CA legal.

I got it because it's the closest thing to a SBR I can legally own in CA and because I go back and forth from CA to NV. Once I cross over to NV, I can take the magazine lock off, put a 75 round drum in and legally carry it concealed. Before crossing back into CA, I put the magazine lock back on, lock in a 10 round magazine and secure it in a locked container.

Henderson Defense in NV is one of many vendors that sets up CA legal AK pistols.
There are also several CA FFL dealers in SoCal that stock CA legal AK pistols.

mixflip
01-08-2010, 02:32
Ah ha, thank you for the info. So you obviously can own a pistol that has a magazine forward of the grip? I thought that was the reason the Ruger charger pistol is not approved for Ca? The whole magazine forward of the trigger thing?

I might be moving back to Cali and I have a few guns. I really need to read up on Cali gun laws so I don't end up making myself a criminal.

Quiet
01-08-2010, 07:41
Ah ha, thank you for the info. So you obviously can own a pistol that has a magazine forward of the grip? I thought that was the reason the Ruger charger pistol is not approved for Ca? The whole magazine forward of the trigger thing?

In CA, a semi-auto pistol can not use a detachable magazine that goes anywhere other than the pistol grip. If it does, it's classified as an "assault weapon". [PC 12276.1(a)(4)(D)]

So to be in compliance with CA law, semi-auto pistols that use detachable magazines outside the pistol grip are modified with a magazine lock. The magazine lock prevents the magazine from being removed from the firearm without the use of a tool.

The Ruger Charger takes detachable magazines outside the pistol grip.
So, in order to be CA legal, a Ruger Charger would have to be modified with a magazine lock that prevents the 10 round magazine from being removed from the pistol without the use of a tool.

Once a magazine lock is installed, that semi-auto pistol can only legally use magazines with a capacity of 10 rounds or less. If a magazine locked semi-auto pistol has a magazine capacity greater than 10 rounds, then it would be classified as an "assault weapon". [PC 12276.1(a)(5)]

Penal Code 12276.1
(a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

Quiet
01-08-2010, 08:08
Sorry everyone for the CA legal thread jack.

So, to return back to topic, here are some pics of more CA legal AK pistols.

http://www.slice.net/draco/10.jpg

CA legal AOW AK pistol
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac292/vandalpix/ak/IMG_4860.jpg

RMTactical
01-08-2010, 14:43
From a legal standpoint, would the Magpul AFG be considered a pistol grip? Just curious...

mixflip
01-08-2010, 14:50
Sorry everyone for the CA legal thread jack.

So, to return back to topic, here are some pics of more CA legal AK pistols.

http://www.slice.net/draco/10.jpg

CA legal AOW AK pistol
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac292/vandalpix/ak/IMG_4860.jpg

So you can CCW that AK pistol in Nevada? Is it actually listed on your CCW card? If so thats very cool.

Quiet
01-08-2010, 18:58
From a legal standpoint, would the Magpul AFG be considered a pistol grip? Just curious...

Federal defintion of a handgun is a firearm designed to be used with one hand [18 USC 921(a)(29)].
So, adding another grip (be it vertical or angled) to a handgun makes it so that the handgun is no longer designed/intended to be used with one hand and it would then fall under the definition of an AOW.

Most legal minds concur and advise to get the tax stamp for an AOW before attaching the Magpul AFG to a handgun (AK/AR Pistol).
Magpul has asked BATFE for a ruling and BATFE is still deciding on it.
So, unless you have $10,000+ for legal fees, it's not recommended that you attach one onto a handgun without getting a tax stamp.

18 USC 921
(a) As used in this chapter—
(29) The term “handgun” means—
(A) a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand; and
(B) any combination of parts from which a firearm described in subparagraph (A) can be assembled.

mixflip
01-08-2010, 19:46
What is the magpul AFG? Some kind of fore grip hybrid?

mixflip
01-08-2010, 19:53
Nevermind..I just looked it up on the firearms blog. Cool "logical" preogression of the fore grip. I wish I would have thought of that? make millions and retire.

tshadow6
01-09-2010, 07:46
What paperwork is needed to put a stock on one of those? I'm asking about the ATF paperwork. Nothing illegal.

Quiet
01-09-2010, 13:37
What paperwork is needed to put a stock on one of those? I'm asking about the ATF paperwork. Nothing illegal.

Federally...
You need to get approval on a Form 1 (ATF F 5320.1) (http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf) and recieve a $200 tax stamp, in order to legally install a shoulder stock onto a handgun.

State...
You may have to do additional things depending on what state you live in.

scottMO
02-24-2010, 22:46
Yes, they can be SBR'd...

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/5866/redkrinkkhybersc2.jpg

AKS-74U in comparison:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff157/scocor83/Scott024.jpg

Mofeen
03-02-2010, 23:30
Anyone see these for sale online recently? Having a hard time finding one other than on gun broker.

GreyEclipse
03-03-2010, 01:06
Awesome, kinda makes me want to buy one.

Polak
03-03-2010, 17:48
Can these be NJ legal?

Mr.Pliskin
03-10-2010, 08:11
Anyone see these for sale online recently? Having a hard time finding one other than on gun broker.

Clasicarms has them for $350

What is the best flash hider for one of these, I have one on order and want to get everything here so I can just go out and shoot it when it comes in.

Nicoroshi
03-10-2010, 13:11
In CA, a semi-auto pistol can not use a detachable magazine that goes anywhere other than the pistol grip. If it does, it's classified as an "assault weapon". [PC 12276.1(a)(4)(D)]

So to be in compliance with CA law, semi-auto pistols that use detachable magazines outside the pistol grip are modified with a magazine lock. The magazine lock prevents the magazine from being removed from the firearm without the use of a tool.

The Ruger Charger takes detachable magazines outside the pistol grip.
So, in order to be CA legal, a Ruger Charger would have to be modified with a magazine lock that prevents the 10 round magazine from being removed from the pistol without the use of a tool.

Once a magazine lock is installed, that semi-auto pistol can only legally use magazines with a capacity of 10 rounds or less. If a magazine locked semi-auto pistol has a magazine capacity greater than 10 rounds, then it would be classified as an "assault weapon". [PC 12276.1(a)(5)]

Penal Code 12276.1
(a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this Quiet but I was under the impression that in addition to the regulations you mentioned above, and to bypass the CA handgun roster they also needed to be DROSed/ voluntary registered (for home builds) as a single shot pistol. After it's DROSed/ registered then one could use 10 round magazines with a mag lock.
I also recognize that lower AOW pistol picture as belonging to a neighbor of mine (next city over) :)

rtl
03-10-2010, 14:43
handled several examples last weekend. all were chunks of crap, although most likely functional. some were so crooked i just cant believe that function wouldnt be affected. was hoping i could find one put together straight, but nope. also i was disappointed in their size. didnt feel much different than an underfolder.

scottMO
03-10-2010, 18:20
I got one in last week that I purchased online. All was perfect, good looking furniture, sights were straight, piston was straight. I've heard these are hit or miss and was glad to get a good one.

scottMO
03-10-2010, 18:28
Clasicarms has them for $350

What is the best flash hider for one of these, I have one on order and want to get everything here so I can just go out and shoot it when it comes in.

You will need to dremel off the slight "weld" that holds on the thread protector. took me all of 10 min, just go slow.

I purchased one of the "bulgy 4 piece" types. You will need a thread converter too.
Good info w/pics here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=98&t=125918

and here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=98&t=125662