Time for suppressor number 2! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Time for suppressor number 2!

Reagan40
12-29-2009, 22:15
I had a weak moment today and bought a Sig Mosquito. I was wanting an inexpensive plinker. I was intending to buy a Ruger MKII if I could find one used. My dealer did not have one, but he had a Sig with a threaded barrell. The threaded barrell and imediate gratification won.

So what are your suggestions for a suppressor on a Mosquito. I have a Gem Tech for my .45 USP Tactical. I have been happy with it. Does anyone have a setup that works well for this little .22?

r2kba
12-30-2009, 01:36
I had a weak moment today and bought a Sig Mosquito. I was wanting an inexpensive plinker. I was intending to buy a Ruger MKII if I could find one used. My dealer did not have one, but he had a Sig with a threaded barrell. The threaded barrell and imediate gratification won.

So what are your suggestions for a suppressor on a Mosquito. I have a Gem Tech for my .45 USP Tactical. I have been happy with it. Does anyone have a setup that works well for this little .22?

Stay with Gemtech and get an outback2.

SHG21
12-30-2009, 01:38
How is the gemtech on the .45?

Fireman1291
12-30-2009, 09:03
DO NOT BUY A 22 CAN THAT DOESNT COME APART!

Just a little advice. I own 2 22 cans, one is 100% Ti can is sealed, and one is a takedown. I got lucky that the Ti can is impervius to "The dip" so i can get the lead buildup out. But the takedown can is better in everyway.

The outback2 is a outdated baffle design and its a sealed aluminum can, you can't use "the dip" to clean it so your basicaly screwed when you fill it up with gunk.

Take a minute to register with www.silencertalk.com youll learn a ALOT about suppressors. Also check out www.silencerresearch.com. The man who runs the site, John ****worth did a large 2009 review on almost every 22 suppressor out there, with pictures, video and metered dB ratings.

I buy my cans for life, so I only buy the best I can, even if I have to save up awhile.:wavey:

The dip-
50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar. When mixed in this state it is safe, however, when you submerge your sealed 22 can (Titanium or stainless only) into a container with the dip it mixes with the lead buildup on your baffles and creates lead acitate a very VERY dangerous acid if touched. It will introduce lead straight into your blood stream.

leave your can in the dip for 24hrs and it will eat everybit of gunk out of it. Ive done it twice and each time my can came out perfect. Youll have globs of carbon/lead at the bottom of the container. Seal and dispose of at your local hazmat facility.

OR

Buy a suppressor you can take apart and clean with a wire brush...which seems safer and easier?...thank you.

RWBlue
12-30-2009, 12:41
I would be very inclined to buy a 9mm suppressor instead of buying a 22LR. The 9mm will not be as quiet as a dedicated 22LR, but should be very quiet and you can use it for 9mm as well.

Does the Sig Mosquito have a standard threading (-28). If not you have to make a decision, one converter for this gun, or multiple converters for other guns to come.

I don't know about the cleaning issue, so I started another thread on the subject.

Reagan40
12-30-2009, 20:24
How is the gemtech on the .45?

I have been very happy with it. I load 230 grain rounds and keep them sub-sonic. I hear the smack of the hammer and the PING of the bullet hitting the steel back stop. In the woods, it is very quiet. I do run it wet. I put a little bit of cable lube in it. It is a bit louder dry. For me, it is very comfortable to shoot without hearing protection wet, and on the verge of uncomfortable dry. I have not put my SPL meter to it yet.

UZIFORME
12-31-2009, 00:14
Chances are the Mosquito won't work enough to get your silencer full of dirt. If you decide to put it onto a gun that you will shoot a lot, I would go with a silencer that can be cleaned.

r2kba
12-31-2009, 12:46
DO NOT BUY A 22 CAN THAT DOESNT COME APART!

This is a preference which is fine however my Gemtech Vortex2 has never been serviced and probably has somewhere around 6,000 rounds fired through it. It still works fine.

I believe the outback is serviceable by the end user, but I havent looked at the outback2's product description on the GT website.

Fireman1291
12-31-2009, 17:18
This is a preference which is fine however my Gemtech Vortex2 has never been serviced and probably has somewhere around 6,000 rounds fired through it. It still works fine.

I believe the outback is serviceable by the end user, but I havent looked at the outback2's product description on the GT website.

It will eventually get loud. John @ silencerresearch.com tested two 9mm trident 9's shot with fmj but exposed base ammo. One NIB, one well used. The used one was WAY louder.

Look at this 22can.
http://www.libertycans.net/Retrofit.html

Buy take down cans if they are available.

Reagan40
01-06-2010, 14:55
Chances are the Mosquito won't work enough to get your silencer full of dirt. If you decide to put it onto a gun that you will shoot a lot, I would go with a silencer that can be cleaned.

I heard all the bad reviews on gun boards about the Mosquito after I placed the order. I was almost convinced that I should sell it before it even arrived. I have only shot it once, but IT IS AWESOME! It was flawless for 100 rounds. I know that is not a perfect indicator, but this little gun seems very well made. It feels like a real gun, unlike the Walther. The fit and finish are great. I talked to several other people in the gun store that had Mosquito's and they all have been very happy with them. I think a few people got some lemons and have spread their frustration all over the internet. This thing really is nice. I will let you know if it starts acting like a piece of junk.