Review of Primary Arms cheap red dot [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Review of Primary Arms cheap red dot

Alaskapopo
12-29-2009, 22:31
Range report on Primary Arms Red Dot sight.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/12-29%20-09%20Range%20report/PrimaryARmsreddot.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/12-29%20-09%20Range%20report/Reddot.jpg

I sighted the optic in at 20 yards at first. Then moved to 50 and finished. I had the optic closer to the rear of the gun but it was causing malfunctions because the brass would hit the optic and fail to eject so I moved it forward.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/12-29%20-09%20Range%20report/AR10carbine.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/12-29%20-09%20Range%20report/AR10sideview.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/12-29%20-09%20Range%20report/50yardsightin.jpg

Alaskapopo
12-29-2009, 22:31
The red dot held is zero. The dot covered the entire 3.5 inch square post it note at 50 yards so I donít think it is a true 4 moa dot. But it still works for what I got it for. I shot a 30 round department qualification with just the red dot and then again with just the ACOG. The sight is handling the pounding recoil of the AR10 .308 recoil well so far. I will keep you updated. I liked the adjustments as they were positive clicks and sighting in was fairly easy unlike other cheap red dots.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/12-29%20-09%20Range%20report/Reddotqual.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/12-29%20-09%20Range%20report/TA33qual.jpg

HAIL CAESAR
12-29-2009, 23:34
I must say.....you not only talk about it, you go out and do it.:cheers:

RMTactical
12-30-2009, 00:12
I must say.....you not only talk about it, you go out and do it.:cheers:

+1

Thanks Pat!

Alaskapopo
12-30-2009, 00:39
thanks guys. I am very pleasantly surprised by these affordable sight at this point.
pat

skud_dusty
12-30-2009, 01:32
I picked up their M3 clone when they were running a special with the Ultimak AK rails on the cheap...

I was very impressed with this thing right out of the box. Most of the stuff in this price range feels like cheap chinese airsoft junk, Primary Arms clones all feel and look very high quality. As you can see in this thread they just plain work. The AK and Ultimak are getting sold off, the M3 is staying:tongueout:

ottomatic
12-31-2009, 09:58
I picked up a cheap $35 Airsoft sight to test and will order one of these to compare it to.

jbremount
12-31-2009, 16:32
thanks guys. I am very pleasantly surprised by these affordable sight at this point.
pat

I have the micro sight from Primary Arms also. Primary Arms red dots and scopes are the only budget sights I buy.

deadday
12-31-2009, 16:55
pat

Cuanto questa?

NeverMore1701
12-31-2009, 17:13
I really need one of these for my .22, but I still have just a few more things for the AR that I gotta get first.

Hef
12-31-2009, 17:33
I picked up a cheap $35 Airsoft sight to test and will order one of these to compare it to.

I bought an Airsoft Aimpoint clone and claw mount from Redwolf Airsoft to put on my GSG-5. Looks good, feels good, so we'll see how well it does when I take it out shooting.

scottMO
01-01-2010, 10:21
These are on sale right now for 59.00.

http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=303&categoryId=5

NeverMore1701
01-01-2010, 10:36
Damn, if Ida known I would have added it to the VFG/front sight order I did a few days ago.

deadday
01-01-2010, 13:16
These are on sale right now for 59.00.

http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=303&categoryId=5

Damn you man! Why did you have to go and post a clickable link and everything....the wife is not going to be happy...:rofl:

scottMO
01-01-2010, 13:20
Damn you man! Why did you have to go and post a clickable link and everything....the wife is not going to be happy...:rofl:
LOL, Here's an unofficial test by a buyer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMosefuud0I

duncan
01-04-2010, 22:32
So Alaskapopo and others, why go with a microdot over a larger PWA aimpoint clone?

Don't you have a smaller field of view with the micro's?

Alaskapopo
01-04-2010, 22:40
So Alaskapopo and others, why go with a microdot over a larger PWA aimpoint clone?

Don't you have a smaller field of view with the micro's?

Mainly because the redot is a back up for me and must sit to the side. Also I prefer the smaller weight and size. I just sold my real M4 Aimpoints (both full size dots) and I place to get another T1 Aimpoint or a TR24 1-4 accupoint. Have not made up my mind yet. But if your going to get a dot sight for a serious rifle I believe the mini T1 can do anything you can expect a red dot sight to do. And its lighter and smaller. Always a good thing.
Pat

FLIPPER 348
01-05-2010, 00:52
I have the micro sight from Primary Arms also. Primary Arms red dots and scopes are the only budget sights I buy.

I've got the same fakepoint on my SW AR-22, straight from the Chi-Comms on ebay. It rocks.

FLIPPER 348
01-05-2010, 00:53
sexy..

and a sweet co-witness when the front sight is up

vettely
01-05-2010, 15:39
I picked up their M3 clone when they were running a special with the Ultimak AK rails on the cheap...

I was very impressed with this thing right out of the box. Most of the stuff in this price range feels like cheap chinese airsoft junk, Primary Arms clones all feel and look very high quality. As you can see in this thread they just plain work. The AK and Ultimak are getting sold off, the M3 is staying:tongueout:
I also have the Ultimak gas tube on my AK. Did you have any heat related issues with the sight??

MARSH1
01-05-2010, 18:31
I also have the Ultimak gas tube on my AK. Did you have any heat related issues with the sight??

No heat issue with the M3 or the Micro. I prefer the Micro on a AK and it is low enough to wittiness on most. There is enough inconsistencies that you have to crank the elevation up on some to get wittiness.

vettely
01-05-2010, 20:24
No heat issue with the M3 or the Micro. I prefer the Micro on a AK and it is low enough to wittiness on most. There is enough inconsistencies that you have to crank the elevation up on some to get wittiness.
Thanks for the input. I ordered your Micro M2 for the AK. It will replace my Burris Fast Fire that I am scared to subject to the heat.

Glockaholic
01-05-2010, 20:40
I just purchased a Primary Arms Micro Dot based on all the positive posts. :wavey:

ottomatic
01-05-2010, 21:54
Thanks for the input. I ordered your Micro M2 for the AK. It will replace my Burris Fast Fire that I am scared to subject to the heat.

????????????????????????????????

I have a Fast Fire 2 and I am not sure what you are afraid of (the heat?).

Glocks&Ducs
01-05-2010, 22:01
sexy..

and a sweet co-witness when the front sight is up

Is there a particular reason you decided to mount your MBUS backwards?

FLIPPER 348
01-05-2010, 22:35
no reason

....other than I did not know til you just mentioned it! I'm not an AR guy, had a few in the Army but never felt the urge to own one as a civilian.

Glocks&Ducs
01-05-2010, 22:42
no reason

....other than I did not know til you just mentioned it! I'm not an AR guy, had a few in the Army but never felt the urge to own one as a civilian.

Yeah. I'm new to all the mall ninja stuff too, and there are actually several kinds of BUIS you can mount in either direction based on your needs or desires. But one of benefits of the MBUS is that they can spring to the down position if they get caught in brush or something. That way, it just locks down instead of snapping off.

FLIPPER 348
01-05-2010, 23:37
ah, the logical force is strong with you. That makes much more sense.

We did not have all these doo-dads whenn I was lugging around M16s. I do like this S&W AR-22. Once I can get access to a friend's lathe I'll install a GI flashider ...then I'll be in full RAMBO mode!

reaper8154
01-05-2010, 23:41

He probably had it mounted on an Ultimak rail. Dunno how the Burris stands up to the heat.

Glocks&Ducs
01-06-2010, 00:03
ah, the logical force is strong with you. That makes much more sense.

We did not have all these doo-dads whenn I was lugging around M16s. I do like this S&W AR-22. Once I can get access to a friend's lathe I'll install a GI flashider ...then I'll be in full RAMBO mode!

I know what you mean. The coolest thing we had on our M16s when I was in was that big telescope size night vision device that screwed onto the carry handle.

Aside from that, it was just plain old fixed carry handle, front sight, and a good loop sling for qualifying out to 500 yards. It is amazing that we were ever able to fight so effectively without all the doodads people put on their rifles nowadays.

Alaskapopo
01-06-2010, 00:08
I know what you mean. The coolest thing we had on our M16s when I was in was that big telescope size night vision device that screwed onto the carry handle.

Aside from that, it was just plain old fixed carry handle, front sight, and a good loop sling for qualifying out to 500 yards. It is amazing that we were ever able to fight so effectively without all the doodads people put on their rifles nowadays.
Not sure that they did. The hit ration in Vietnam sucked. Can't remember it exactly but it was several hundreds of rounds fired per every enemy soldier hit.
Pat

FLIPPER 348
01-06-2010, 00:18
the ratio is still sucks but that's been the norn since folks started shooting at each other

Alaskapopo
01-06-2010, 00:26
the ratio is still sucks but that's been the norn since folks started shooting at each other

Not sure what the current ratio is but individual soldiers with optics are engaging and hitting threats further out than every before.
Pat

Glocks&Ducs
01-06-2010, 08:03
Not sure that they did. The hit ration in Vietnam sucked. Can't remember it exactly but it was several hundreds of rounds fired per every enemy soldier hit.
Pat

You have no proof to show those numbers are different today. And the first Gulf War was a slaughter with regular old M16s, and there are countless missions that are accomplished EVERY SINGLE DAY, even when we are not in a declared conflict that never make the news.

KalashniKEV
01-06-2010, 08:14
You have no proof to show those numbers are different today. And the first Gulf War was a slaughter with regular old M16s, and there are countless missions that are accomplished EVERY SINGLE DAY, even when we are not in a declared conflict that never make the news.

Nobody said there was anything wrong with an M16A2... just that they are currently obsolete.

vettely
01-06-2010, 08:39

The Fast Fire cost a pretty penny so I just did not want to risk it. The reason I bought it was because I felt it was a solid sight. But if this Primary Arms will do the job I can sell the Fast Fire and pocket some money.

FLIPPER 348
01-06-2010, 10:29
Nobody said there was anything wrong with an M16A2... just that they are currently obsolete.

how so??

KalashniKEV
01-06-2010, 11:20
how so??

All ways really... speed, accuracy, reliability, ergos... that's why you don't see them anymore. They're obsolete.

Don't get me wrong, a Garand is a fine rifle as well... and is also obsolete. If you want to make an argument to bring back the 'ol musket as a frontline fighting rifle then you're going to have to convince a looooooot of people.

Glocks&Ducs
01-06-2010, 11:39
All ways really... speed, accuracy, reliability, ergos... that's why you don't see them anymore. They're obsolete.

Don't get me wrong, a Garand is a fine rifle as well... and is also obsolete. If you want to make an argument to bring back the 'ol musket as a frontline fighting rifle then you're going to have to convince a looooooot of people.

I really hate that this thread is going in this direction. But it sounds like you have been reading way too much soldier of misfortune.

The M16 does not have a speed, accuracy, reliability, or ergo problem. We were training in the modern form of warfare, urban warfare, back in 1992 when I first started going through training with M16s. The only thing the carbines do that the M16 can't is provide a smaller profile when clearing a house type place of fighting. They have no other advantage when it comes to actually shooting at the bad guy.

I think you are going to the extreme in saying someone is claiming we should bring back muskets. That is pure asstardedness right there. As a matter of fact, nobody even claimed we should bring the M16 back, not that they have gone anywhere to begin with. They are still around in more numbers than you would believe, and the ones that aren't being used right now, are simply in storage. So how you went down this windy road all by your lonesome is pretty sad.

Alaskapopo
01-06-2010, 11:50
I really hate that this thread is going in this direction. But it sounds like you have been reading way too much soldier of misfortune.

The M16 does not have a speed, accuracy, reliability, or ergo problem. We were training in the modern form of warfare, urban warfare, back in 1992 when I first started going through training with M16s. The only thing the carbines do that the M16 can't is provide a smaller profile when clearing a house type place of fighting. They have no other advantage when it comes to actually shooting at the bad guy.

I think you are going to the extreme in saying someone is claiming we should bring back muskets. That is pure asstardedness right there. As a matter of fact, nobody even claimed we should bring the M16 back, not that they have gone anywhere to begin with. They are still around in more numbers than you would believe, and the ones that aren't being used right now, are simply in storage. So how you went down this windy road all by your lonesome is pretty sad.
The M16 is not obsolete but it has been improved upon. Its human nature as we get older to look down on new technology simple because it was not around when we were in our prime. For example when I am retired I will probably feel the same about the new phaser pistols still preferring my obsolete 1911 or Glock 17. Things change and if we don't change with them we become obsolete.
Pat

KalashniKEV
01-06-2010, 12:04

No time for that brotha, I been overseas doin' the damn thing.

This thread is about the PA H-1 clone, and I don't want to sidetrack it.

If you want to start a new thread on this topic I'll be on it, but let me just say:

If you put an M-4 w/ ACOG, Surefire M-951, grip-pod, and PEQ-15 next to the 'ol musket (that's what the 16A2 is referred to) on the hood of an MRAP and said, "Grab one and let's ride" there isn't anyone, anywhere, for any reason that would grab the A2.

It's an obsolete weapons system.

fivestar
01-06-2010, 17:23
Well, I just ordered their red dot on sale with an Ultimak rail for my AK. I can't wait to get it!

FLIPPER 348
01-06-2010, 17:42
What battery does y'alls micro-dot use?? The 'Aimpoint' maunal that came with mine (it looks REAL good for a fake) says the replacement is a CR2032 ...but the one that came out was smaller.

and I lost it!

snair
01-06-2010, 17:52
which one of these would be best if i have a flat top and a front sight post?

dudel
01-06-2010, 19:02
Just got my Primary Arms M3 today. I would change the title of this thread to "Inexpensive" rather than "cheap". Cheap implies lower quality. Not the case with this M3.

Don

MARSH1
01-06-2010, 19:32
which one of these would be best if i have a flat top and a front sight post?

The Micro with riser or either M3 style in the high cantileiver mount will be at the right height for a AR

HAIL CAESAR
01-06-2010, 19:57
The hit ration in Vietnam sucked. Can't remember it exactly but it was several hundreds of rounds fired per every enemy soldier hit.
Pat

It is several hundred thousand expelled for every enemy hit. ( If beancounter Robert McNamara's numbers were right)

Probably the same as the later Wars.

Tx1911
01-06-2010, 20:43
Mainly because the redot is a back up for me and must sit to the side. Also I prefer the smaller weight and size. I just sold my real M4 Aimpoints (both full size dots) and I place to get another T1 Aimpoint or a TR24 1-4 accupoint. Have not made up my mind yet. But if your going to get a dot sight for a serious rifle I believe the mini T1 can do anything you can expect a red dot sight to do. And its lighter and smaller. Always a good thing.
Pat

+1

I did the same thing. I sold my Aimpoint ML3 and purchased the T-1.

P+P
01-06-2010, 21:28
Just got my Primary Arms M3 today. I would change the title of this thread to "Inexpensive" rather than "cheap". Cheap implies lower quality. Not the case with this M3.

Don

I ordered a micro dot gen 2 on saturday got it on wednesday... I agree this is a nice looking little sight not cheap looking at all and the riser is just as nice ... I expect it will work as good as it looks ....

NeverMore1701
01-06-2010, 21:39
Is the QD riser RTZ or not?

fivestar
01-09-2010, 17:55
So I just got my Micro Dot gen 2 sight and got it mounted on my Ultimak. Are these parallax free like Eotech's and Aimpoint's? It dosen't specifically say on their web page.

Thanks!

snair
01-09-2010, 18:45
The Micro with riser or either M3 style in the high cantileiver mount will be at the right height for a AR
ive looked at the site and see the dot but not the mount, how much or where are the mounts? thanks

Glocks&Ducs
01-09-2010, 20:59
ive looked at the site and see the dot but not the mount, how much or where are the mounts? thanks

The options are in the drop down menus near the prices. Towards the bottom right of the pages.

snair
01-09-2010, 21:14
The options are in the drop down menus near the prices. Towards the bottom right of the pages.thank you

lawman800
01-09-2010, 21:16
There was another thread about the Primary Arms sight and I asked a few questions and the factory guy got on it and responded and was very honest about their products. He didn't flower it up and say it can do things that it won't do and what are the realistic expectations for the product. I was very impressed with it and I will be ordering one for my non-combat guns like the 10/22 or the Mini-30.

snair
01-09-2010, 21:28
i wnat one just not sure which to get as i have an m4 flat top but with a front sight

raven11
01-09-2010, 21:40
thanks for the review i put in in my order a couple hours ago

MARSH1
01-10-2010, 18:01
So I just got my Micro Dot gen 2 sight and got it mounted on my Ultimak. Are these parallax free like Eotech's and Aimpoint's? It dosen't specifically say on their web page.

Thanks!

There is a little bit of shift at the very edge at the top but parallax free over most if the sight window.

fivestar
01-11-2010, 03:39
Thank you!

vettely
01-11-2010, 10:29
There was another thread about the Primary Arms sight and I asked a few questions and the factory guy got on it and responded and was very honest about their products. He didn't flower it up and say it can do things that it won't do and what are the realistic expectations for the product. I was very impressed with it and I will be ordering one for my non-combat guns like the 10/22 or the Mini-30.
I just got my Primary Arms sight and mounted it on my Ultimak gas tube. My only concern is if it can hold up to the heat of the gas tube as I noticed it only has a one year warranty.

lawman800
01-11-2010, 20:02
I've had cheap red dots hold up to heat just fine, I am more worried about the recoil and how it handles maintaining zero or even functionality. I want to mount one on my 12 gauge but that is quite a calling to handle.

Alaskapopo
01-12-2010, 02:11
Took some pics through the optic. Just playing with the camera
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Friends%20guns/Cowitness.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Friends%20guns/shotthroughprimaryarmssight.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Friends%20guns/Jasons21.jpg

MCKNBRD
01-12-2010, 07:26
Is the QD riser RTZ or not?

^
This!

Also, what other options are there for 'risers'? Say, about 1/3 or 1/2 as high as the optional one...I'm looking for an economic optic with a 4moa dot or smaller as an optional one for Appleseed 10/22 LTRs...this one is VERY appealing, and might be short enough to make a good option for those that can't rectify iron sights due to age, inexperience, or lack of confidence.

Thanks!
Byrdman

MARSH1
01-12-2010, 20:11
^
This!

Also, what other options are there for 'risers'? Say, about 1/3 or 1/2 as high as the optional one...I'm looking for an economic optic with a 4moa dot or smaller as an optional one for Appleseed 10/22 LTRs...this one is VERY appealing, and might be short enough to make a good option for those that can't rectify iron sights due to age, inexperience, or lack of confidence.

Thanks!
Byrdman

Any riser that fits the T-1 will work or you could just use a Yankee Hill 1/2" riser with the included low mount.

scottMO
01-12-2010, 20:33
Any riser that fits the T-1 will work or you could just use a Yankee Hill 1/2" riser with the included low mount.

I use the mentioned YHM 1/2" riser w/mine on a flat top. Crappy pic but you get the idea:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff157/scocor83/Scott018.jpg

asolo
01-15-2010, 06:40
Got my Gen 2 Blem micro dot from Primary Arms yesterday. Mounted it on my BCM and I have to say I am impressed with the build quality of this thing. I chose to buy it based on no bad reviews of it and, of course, the price. Haven't shot it yet, but everything looks great. Dot is nice and sharp, positive clicks on the brightness and windage/elevation adjustment. Very well built.

Highly recommended. I could buy 8-10 of thesee things for the price of a t-1! I think another one is justified for the buckmark:)

lawman800
01-15-2010, 07:35
Holy smokes, Scott, that thing is shorter than most AR pistols I have seen!

scottMO
01-15-2010, 17:48
Holy smokes, Scott, that thing is shorter than most AR pistols I have seen!

19" OAL. 4.5" barrel on the upper as it's just used for .22lr.. :supergrin:

lawman800
01-15-2010, 20:49
Wow, that **** is tight, yo!

Usagi
01-16-2010, 17:08
^
This!

Thanks!
Byrdman

I've shot at an appleseed with a red-dot. Best I shot was 158 on the AQT. Iron sights sent me to over 210.

You will do 1,000,000 times better with either tech-sights or a scope... or both.

BUT,

If this is a backup 10/22 for use as a loaner for a kid brand new to shooting, disregard as the red dot would actually be better for the newer shooter, IMHO.

MCKNBRD
01-16-2010, 18:03
I've shot at an appleseed with a red-dot. Best I shot was 158 on the AQT. Iron sights sent me to over 210.

You will do 1,000,000 times better with either tech-sights or a scope... or both.

BUT,

If this is a backup 10/22 for use as a loaner for a kid brand new to shooting, disregard as the red dot would actually be better for the newer shooter, IMHO.
Thats precisely what it is: I am an instructor with Appleseed, and we have several shooters that can't use iron sights (for a multitude of reasons). I don't want to sink the coin into a scout scope & mount setup for a rifle that is a loaner. Besides, the ones I build for folks typically go to customers that balk at a .22LR that normally runs north of $450, no matter how good it shoots or how perfect it is for an Appleseed.

FWIW, I shot my first 'seed with a 3-9x scope set as low as I could go. Shot 219. Went to an RBC later that summer, with a 10/22 set up as an LTR, and shot 231 with irons. 'Fussing the shot' is VERY real.

I think a red dot with a 4moa (or smaller, if its available without costing an arm and a leg) would be perfectly fine for the 25yd portion of the training. At 500yds? Not so much...I still like irons for reaching out that far, unless I've got an ACOG or similar.

Byrdman

Usagi
01-16-2010, 20:42
Thats precisely what it is: I am an instructor with Appleseed, and we have several shooters that can't use iron sights (for a multitude of reasons). I don't want to sink the coin into a scout scope & mount setup for a rifle that is a loaner. Besides, the ones I build for folks typically go to customers that balk at a .22LR that normally runs north of $450, no matter how good it shoots or how perfect it is for an Appleseed.

FWIW, I shot my first 'seed with a 3-9x scope set as low as I could go. Shot 219. Went to an RBC later that summer, with a 10/22 set up as an LTR, and shot 231 with irons. 'Fussing the shot' is VERY real.

I think a red dot with a 4moa (or smaller, if its available without costing an arm and a leg) would be perfectly fine for the 25yd portion of the training. At 500yds? Not so much...I still like irons for reaching out that far, unless I've got an ACOG or similar.

Byrdman
That being the case, the Primary Arms Red Dot from this thread would be a great choice. They even get good reviews on ar15.com, which is notorious for being a place of gear-snobs.
Another inexpensive alternative would be the Vortex Strikefire. I have one and it has been excellent.

snair
01-16-2010, 20:45
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Friends%20guns/shotthroughprimaryarmssight.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Friends%20guns/Jasons21.jpg
my wife was just laughing saying the reason your pics were in the garage were because your wife wouldnt let you bring your ar in the house, i tried to stick up for you till i saw what time it was. kinda seemed suspicious hahaha

Burncycle
01-16-2010, 20:48
I got one of these blems with the intent of mounting it on an AK ultimak gas tube mount. I'm cool with the slight parallax and the LED blocking most of the iron sights, but how does it withstand the heat of a good range trip (~200-300 rounds over a few hours)?

Alaskapopo
01-16-2010, 21:37
my wife was just laughing saying the reason your pics were in the garage were because your wife wouldnt let you bring your ar in the house, i tried to stick up for you till i saw what time it was. kinda seemed suspicious hahaha

Yea I am single so no wife to hide it from. But if I had one I probably would have to sneak the guns in and out.
Pat

snair
01-16-2010, 21:40
Yea I am single so no wife to hide it from. But if I had one I probably would have to sneak the guns in and out.
Pat
pat im just messing with you, my wife walked in when i was checking out the view through the sight. sorry if i offended you

Alaskapopo
01-16-2010, 22:22
pat im just messing with you, my wife walked in when i was checking out the view through the sight. sorry if i offended you

No I know you were kidding. No harm done. The garage is a mess I need to clean it up. The real reason for the photos out there is better lighting. The photos I take in the house come out darker.
Pat

HAIL CAESAR
01-16-2010, 22:32

Is my eyes playing tricks on me Bud or is your rear sight way the heck to the left?

Alaskapopo
01-17-2010, 01:52
Is my eyes playing tricks on me Bud or is your rear sight way the heck to the left?

Yea its way the heck to the left. Not sure if its the front sight or the gas block. But that is where it had to be to zero it.
Pat

HAIL CAESAR
01-17-2010, 02:06
It's not a big deal Pat, just wanting to know.

AL

MCKNBRD
01-17-2010, 08:51
That being the case, the Primary Arms Red Dot from this thread would be a great choice. They even get good reviews on ar15.com, which is notorious for being a place of gear-snobs.
Another inexpensive alternative would be the Vortex Strikefire. I have one and it has been excellent.

The Strikefire is another alternative I'm looking at, but the weight of it on top of a 10/22 would make it crazy top-heavy...but, there is a good chance it might end up on my AR if I build a coyote upper for it.

Not to mention that they usually run about double the cost of the PA piece. In a situation where cost is EVERYTHING, you can't rule it out at all. Many shooters, especially new shooters, don't understand the concept of buy what you can afford and cry once...but they figure it out pretty quickly.

Byrdman

lawman800
01-17-2010, 09:05
Read some less than stellar reviews of the Strike Force. I was looking at that since the local store had it on sale but I decided to cry once with an EOTech... besides, all the cool operators have it so I had to fit in. Wouldn't want my M4gery to feel out of place.

MARSH1
01-17-2010, 14:41
I got one of these blems with the intent of mounting it on an AK ultimak gas tube mount. I'm cool with the slight parallax and the LED blocking most of the iron sights, but how does it withstand the heat of a good range trip (~200-300 rounds over a few hours)?

Plenty in use with the Ultimak rail no hear related issues. When this first cam up I heated one up in a frying pan to test it.

lawman800
01-17-2010, 15:08
:whistling:Plenty in use with the Ultimak rail no hear related issues. When this first cam up I heated one up in a frying pan to test it.

Did you use EVOO to make sure it's low cholesterol?:whistling:

vettely
01-17-2010, 17:48
Plenty in use with the Ultimak rail no hear related issues. When this first cam up I heated one up in a frying pan to test it.
That is very interesting. What were the results of the frying pan test? (Other than a sight that now attracts wild animals with its bacony scent:)

I have the Primary Arms Sight on my AK and I like it.

Burncycle
01-17-2010, 23:37

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to go ahead with that then, I kinda wished I got the ultimak rail at the same time lol, it's a much better deal to do it that way!

javelinadave
01-20-2010, 19:28

You guys crack me up. I talked to somebody earlier at your place (may have been you) and they were talking about boiling one to test the water proofing. Sounds like Mythbusters for optics.

Well, based on this thread I just ordered a PM micro dot.
Hope it is all that it is supposed to be. It is going on the top of my full sized Uzi.

SCOTTtheBADGER
02-18-2010, 17:56
With all these glowing reviews, I think I shall buy one of these. The M&P 15 OSR I bought from CDNN came with a cheap Chinese red dot sight, which feels like it would make a rather good .22lr sight. I want to put an EOTECH on the M&P, but also want something sturdy to use until I can afford the EOTECH. Thanks to you, I think I have found it.

Does it come with a mount? The Primary Arms website is not entirely clear on the subject. This is a clone of the Aimpoint T-1 isn't it?

Thanks.

scottMO
02-18-2010, 18:00
With all these glowing reviews, I think I shall buy one of these. The M&P 15 OSR I bought from CDNN came with a cheap Chinese red dot sight, which feels like it would make a rather good .22lr sight. I want to put an EOTECH on the M&P, but also want something sturdy to use until I can afford the EOTECH. Thanks to you, I think I have found it.

Does it come with a mount? The Primary Arms website is not entirely clear on the subject. This is a clone of the Aimpoint T-1 isn't it?

Thanks.
It includes a standard mount or you can get the "taller QD" mount for another 29.00 or so. I dont own a T-1 but the optic is not very big. I have one on top of an AR and had to get a YHM riser to raise it up a little. the taller QD mount would have worked too..

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff157/scocor83/Scott019-1.jpg

SCOTTtheBADGER
02-18-2010, 18:11
Since the OSR has no sights, I guess I should be in clover with the thing as is. If I decide to put back up sights on, I can always get the appropriate riser at the same time. Thank you, you can always depend on a SCOTT, can't you?

MARSH1
02-18-2010, 22:16
Since the OSR has no sights, I guess I should be in clover with the thing as is. If I decide to put back up sights on, I can always get the appropriate riser at the same time. Thank you, you can always depend on a SCOTT, can't you?

It is going to be too low for a good cheek position on a AR. Here is a photo with the riser. The riser is not on the web site separately. If you want to give it a try without and want one at a later date just shoot me a email and I will take care of it.

Marshall

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/marsh2001/Micromounted.jpg