Please help ID this knife [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Please help ID this knife

Gokyo
12-30-2009, 09:43
I own this knife. However THe handle cracked and I would like to get a new one.

Can you please help me ID the knife and a possible source to purchase another.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j42/gokyo/impecabale-bowie_2.jpg

On one side of the blade it has "2 kissing cranes"

it is stamped "Robi Klaas"
and below that is "Germany"

On the other side it says
"Rostfrei"

Which I think means stainless (rust free) in german.

kayakjax
12-30-2009, 11:23
I have some Kissing Crane pocket knives, so I can tell you that the knife is a Kissing Crane. I have never seen that particular fixed blade knife.
Some of their newer stuff is made in China now and not Germany anymore, so that knife may not still being made.

JohnKSa
12-30-2009, 13:37
A friend of mine brought back a knife like that from a deployment to Germany many years ago. He was under the impression that it was issued to the German military as a field knife.

Squaw Man Wolfer
01-04-2010, 12:23
That is indeed a German army issue knife, or a replica. In the mid 1970's, we (U.S. Forces) called it the "butter knife" (buttermesser?) because spreading butter on your brotchen is all it's good for.

I'm not saying that is is completely harmless, but you would have to stab really hard to get any penetration. Looks like a knife designed by a committee of "save the whalers".

The blade is a cheesy aluminum- like alloy that is too light to cut well. I have no idea if it is still issued.

Gokyo
01-05-2010, 01:10
The blade is a cheesy aluminum- like alloy that is too light to cut well. I have no idea if it is still issued.

The blade is not made of Aluminum alloy. It says in german that it is made of Stainless Steel, Rostfrei.

Thank you for all the information

Squaw Man Wolfer
01-06-2010, 18:49
As I recall, it was common for the handles to crack on this knife.

syntaxerrorsix
01-07-2010, 10:09
The blade is not made of Aluminum alloy. It says in german that it is made of Stainless Steel, Rostfrei.

Thank you for all the information
It may be stainless steel but rostfrei translate simply to "rust free" nothing more. I too recall some crummy issue Bundeswehr blades but I don't remember any of them made with aluminum alloy blades.