Cleaning suppressor [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning suppressor

RWBlue
12-30-2009, 11:33
Who has needed to send their suppressor in to be cleaned?
How many rounds?

For those of you with suppressors that don't come apart for cleaning, how do you clean your suppressor?

I have not sent my suppressors in for cleaning.
I have not cleaned mine, ever, at all.
I do not believe I have a need to at this time.
But, people are making a big deal out of cleaning so.....

Fireman1291
12-30-2009, 12:44
Ive never sent a can in to be cleaned.

However if your have a can composed of titanium or stainless steel, this will work. DO NOT USE THIS METHOD WITH ALUMINUM OR YOULL BE LEFT WITH A DAMAGED SUPPRESSOR!

The dip-
50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar. When mixed in this state it is safe, however, when you submerge your sealed 22 can (Titanium or stainless only) into a container with the dip it mixes with the lead buildup on your baffles and creates lead acitate a very VERY dangerous acid if touched. It will introduce lead straight into your blood stream.

leave your can in the dip for 24hrs and it will eat everybit of gunk out of it. Ive done it twice and each time my can came out perfect. Youll have globs of carbon/lead at the bottom of the container. Seal and dispose of at your local hazmat facility.

*Use the black rubber chemical gloves, saftey glasses, and a HEPA mask.(Found at home depot)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That sums up cleaning for 22cans, nothing else will work.

As far as centerfire rifle and pistol cans. I use a bore brush and carbon cutter/aluminum safe gun cleaners and run it back and forth inside and coat the blast chamber of my M42000 in it and clean with a brush to get rid of the carbon. Other than that there isnt much you can do.

What cans do you own?

RWBlue
12-31-2009, 10:07
What cans do you own?

SWR in 22LR
SWR in 45ACP/Super
Gemtech in 308

The SWR in 22LR has had several thousand round through it. I would assume that it would need cleaning sometime in the future, but so far it is doing good.

I would assume that a sonic cleaner would work, but have not bought one.

nnickatnight
12-31-2009, 10:24
The cans should be able to be sent in for service if you have issues beyond the previous suggestions. There are .22 user serviceable cans out now and a new pistol, .380, 9mm, take apart can coming to the marketplace, if you purchase new ones in the future.

RWBlue
12-31-2009, 10:42
The cans should be able to be sent in for service if you have issues beyond the previous suggestions. There are .22 user serviceable cans out now and a new pistol, .380, 9mm, take apart can coming to the marketplace, if you purchase new ones in the future.

That is not the question at hand.
Please answer the questions.

How many rounds?
For those of you with suppressors that don't come apart for cleaning, how do you clean your suppressor?

nnickatnight
12-31-2009, 11:22
Thanks for reminding me, mr. personality. I'll keep any cleaning experiences, etc. to myself, I might not present them in the proper fashion.

RWBlue
12-31-2009, 12:12
Thanks for reminding me, mr. personality. I'll keep any cleaning experiences, etc. to myself, I might not present them in the proper fashion.

This has nothing to do with my personality and everything to do with trying to keep this thread on track to get some very specific information. I even used "Please."

You lack of intellectual response and personal attack leads me to believe you don't know the answer to the questions, so I guess you can keep your experience, or lack there of to yourself. Good by.:wavey:

trukreltrog
01-02-2010, 11:16
The only one's that need cleaned are the .22 cans. I don't clean my bigger caliber cans.

I Hav'nt had my .22 can cleaned yet either. I have a SWR Warlock.

When it's time, somewhere around 15,000 rounds I believe. I'll just send it to SWR and let them do it. Since I have a back-up take apart can, I won't miss it.

You just have to hope that the outer tube will not be damaged, breaking it apart. Or you will be buying another tax stamp. :shocked:

Javelin
01-02-2010, 11:19
The only one's that need cleaned are the .22 cans. I don't clean my bigger caliber cans.

I Hav'nt had my .22 can cleaned yet either. I have a SWR Warlock.

When it's time, somewhere around 15,000 rounds I believe. I'll just send it to SWR and let them do it. Since I have a back-up take apart can, I won't miss it.

You just have to hope that the outer tube will not be damaged, breaking it apart. Or you will be buying another tax stamp. :shocked:

This. .22 suppressors are the only cans that need to be cleaned due to low pressure/high residue build up. Basically every time you shoot a high pressure bullet through your can it is essentially cleaning it by pushing 40K+ PSI through the baffles blowing everything out of there.

Buy from manufacturers that rate their suppressors FA and offer lifetime warranty. Screw the rest.

Javelin
01-02-2010, 11:23
Though I do recommend soaking the can in WD40 if you are going to store them for an extended period of time and not putting them in a sealed container right after use (condensation builds when gun powder is burned). If anything to keep the rust/corrosion out of it.

:wavey:

Fireman1291
01-02-2010, 20:27
I get carbon buildup in the blast chamber of my m42000 after only 400rds. So even high pressure rifle cans should be cleaned with a carbon cutter and a wire brush that you can fit in there.

Liff
01-05-2010, 08:38

Not me.

How many rounds?

N/A

Don't clean them.

Good topic. I was under the impression that except for the L.I.D. the cans are not to be cleaned. :dunno:

So aside from the cleaning of the L.I.D. and the occasional grease or water bath, I do not clean my cans.

r2kba
01-05-2010, 09:47
Can's don't need to be cleaned. What can happen instead is the solvents you use actually start to bind the material inside together since most cans can't come apart. If you want to clean the threads and blast baffle portion thats fine however I quit "washing" can's a long time ago.

My .22 can has 5000+ Rounds through it at a conservative estimate and it works fine.

The only thing I clean is the quick detatch couplers and the attachments to the guns, such as thread areas, springs etc.

grecco
01-05-2010, 09:51
Actually, the dirtier my cans, the better they sound!

RWBlue
01-05-2010, 17:30
Actually, the dirtier my cans, the better they sound!

What brand?
What caliber?

Fireman1291
01-05-2010, 19:30
What brand?
What caliber?

Common myth. However, John tested with a meter and a dirty Trident9 was proven to be louder. Cans need to be cleaned, but so do weapons after you use them. Alot of people here get lazy. I on the other hand like to protect my investment. I wouldnt by a ferrari, only to wax it once a year. So ill clean my guns/cans after each shoot. Which is why they sound/function/look great every time I use them.

Liff
01-05-2010, 20:43
I have also noticed that my cans when dirty are more quiet. Like this one time grease spilled into the can, the sound report was much more quiet. Then I cleaned the can and it was more loud.

Then I read Fireman1291's post about clean cans being more quiet and I do not believe him.

The above post was complete sarcasm.

Fireman1291
01-06-2010, 04:50
Dirty can = Full of carbon/lead buildup
Clean can = No carbon/lead buildup
Wet can = Can fired with ablative(Water/grease/wire gel)

:wavey:

r2kba
01-06-2010, 19:06
Common myth. However, John tested with a meter and a dirty Trident9 was proven to be louder. Cans need to be cleaned, but so do weapons after you use them. Alot of people here get lazy. I on the other hand like to protect my investment. I wouldnt by a ferrari, only to wax it once a year. So ill clean my guns/cans after each shoot. Which is why they sound/function/look great every time I use them.

I dont notice any differences.

RWBlue
01-09-2010, 14:58
So ill clean my guns/cans after each shoot. Which is why they sound/function/look great every time I use them.

Depending on how much you shoot your gun in a session, you are probably over cleaning your guns.

Many many moons ago, when I was in college my riflery instructor told me that more competition guns have been cleaned to death than shot to death.

They cleaned the indoor rifles once a year and that was probably over kill.

They are still using the same rifles.

As far as the suppressors, I think they need to be cleaned, but how often is up to debate.

Fireman1291
01-09-2010, 17:49
I shoot about 400rds per session through my AR15's..each. Thats suppressed fire. My bore,upper,carrier, and bolt are covered in gunk/carbon. I clean them. I understand that some competition shooters over clean. In my case, they NEED to be cleaned. This goes for my pistols as well. Im not rich, so all my toys must be taken care of as they took a long time to aquire. Im not going to shoot 200rds through my LesBaer and then let it sit in my safe all gunked up.

As far as the suppressor that have aluminum for materials, id take more special care in selecting what solvents and how I clean them. But for my titanium and inconel made cans I can clean the hell out of them and it wont be detrimental to its service life. -Adam

RWBlue
01-09-2010, 18:11
I shoot about 400rds per session through my AR15's..each. Thats suppressed fire. My bore,upper,carrier, and bolt are covered in gunk/carbon. I clean them. I understand that some competition shooters over clean. In my case, they NEED to be cleaned. This goes for my pistols as well. Im not rich, so all my toys must be taken care of as they took a long time to aquire. Im not going to shoot 200rds through my LesBaer and then let it sit in my safe all gunked up.

IMHO, you are over cleaning (this should not be a problem for those kinds of guns, but...). Your AR and 1911 should be able to sit dirty for a while and run just fine on the next range trip. Now if you are putting the guns away for a long time......

BlackBelt
01-13-2010, 06:09
Years ago I had a Tac-Nine (9mm) suppressor that I sent back to AWC for cleaning.
I haven't had any issues with other cans needing to be sent back to be cleaned.
My .22lr cans have to be cleaned every few thousand rounds (probably 4-6K rounds) to maintain optimum sound reduction capability.
I have to take the cans apart and scrub the baffle system to get the gunk off of them. The carbon/lead deposits in them stop up all the holes in the baffles and expansion areas inside the can. Some of the deposits are very hard carbon buildup that has to be scraped off. There are no products that I know of that will melt that carbon buildup off without damaging the metal of the suppressor.
I will never buy another .22lr suppressor that I can't take apart and clean myself. I don't even know why they would make a sealed .22lr can that isn't user serviceable.

BMH
01-13-2010, 11:24
I have an AAC .22 suppressor that I clean by letting it soak in Kano - Aerokroil Penetrating Oil. Then I drain it and use a can of compressed air to clean it out.