Any fisherman here? Natural scented vs. plastic smelling lures [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any fisherman here? Natural scented vs. plastic smelling lures

NorthCarolinaLiberty
12-30-2009, 14:30
I never have any luck with worms that smell like plastic. My favorite lure for largemouth bass is the Berkeley tube. The pumpkin color is natural scented, but some of their other colors smell like plastic.

I want to get some large plastics with natural scents. Does anybody here use these?

mossy500camo
12-31-2009, 14:00
I never have any luck with worms that smell like plastic. My favorite lure for largemouth bass is the Berkeley tube. The pumpkin color is natural scented, but some of their other colors smell like plastic.

I want to get some large plastics with natural scents. Does anybody here use these?

I have had success with scents.

bassmaster1974
01-04-2010, 15:12
I was a full time tournament angler for 5 years and now I fish tournaments/guide part time and custom paint baits full time.I have never had to apply any scents to any of the powerbait line of plastics.But there are a ton of plastics out there that come scented like V&M,Lakefork tackle,Net Bait etc.Some are Garlic and others are anise.There are a ton of scents out there but they all serve the same purpose, to hide our scent.They call them attractents but most anglers agree they are really masking our scent rather than attracting.I use scent about 80% of the time on plastics.Bang brand garlic being about all I have ever had to use.I am lucky enough to have been born and raised living on Lake Guntersville.My go to plastics for big bass are V&M 11" and 14" worms, Yamamoto 8" grubs and Zoom Mag lizards.Those are for cast and retrieve applications like texas rig,swimming and carolina rigs.For pitching I use large compact plastics.Berkley Gulp plastics are something you might want to look at.They are biodegradable "soft plastic" baits that are made from real fish and other forage.They are not plastic though.The upside is that they smell like the natural substances they are made from and are super soft.Down side is they will dry out fast when left on the rod.I mean fast.I can run 15 min up the lake and it is already drying up.If you leave one in your boat or tackle box,you will find a horrible mess.It turns to goop and looks and smells about like a real decomposed fish.I never really could get into them.But one of my friends that fish on the Bassmaster Elite Series swears by them.To each His own I guess.One thing I do often during the spring,in muddy water or anytime Im on a spotted bass lake is to buy the spike it markers with garlic scent and add chartreuse to the tails of my plastics or claws on jig trailers.It smells strong and it colors the bait also when that is needed.Best combo for me is green pumpkin/chart tail.Every lake is different.Experiment with different colors and scents.The bass will let you know when you have found what they want.

MitchellB
01-04-2010, 15:41
I've always had good luck with a simple <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Texas</st1:place></st1:State> rigged purple plastic worm without any scent. I have used the spray on scent oils before and also had good luck with those as well. They seemed to leave a scent trail in the water that would excite the little bait fish in the water and I have to assume the bass would be attracted to it as well. I found that a bass will eat just about anything it can get in its mouth whether it looks eatable or smells eatable if they are hungry.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Babynine
01-04-2010, 23:07
I only muskie fish these days and we dont really use scents/attractants for muskie. Back when I used to fish some bass I used alot of Gary Yamamato plastics and often used megastrike brand attractant. Its the same stuff you see on Roland Martins show. I believe they have crawfish and shad scents available. We used to jokingly call it "booty lube". It seemed to work well but the Gary Yamamoto Custom Baits work so well you really dont need it. They have salt inside them that drives Bass crazy. Some plastics have salt on the outside but it washes right off first cast. These days I only like to catch muskies that can fit my whole face in their mouth. The fish in my avatar is my fourth or fifth largest at 43.5"

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-08-2010, 06:52
Thanks for the replies.

Bassmaster, I'll look into the 11" and 14" worms, and the 8" grubs.

Jvrobel_30
01-19-2010, 21:29
Hey, just want to offer an option. If you are looking for custom baits (i.e. Scent Color combinations) check out www.jambaits.com (http://www.jambaits.com) It is my brothres website. He is just getting into the custom lure market. If you contact him he is able to custom make colors to your liking. Just an option to try. He is really cheap compared to some of the bigger names and all his baits are hand poured. Just tell him Jeremy sent you and he will get you "hooked up" LOL couldnt help it :)

Thanks guys!