My LNL AP arrived today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My LNL AP arrived today

DoctaGlockta
12-30-2009, 15:25
Well it came today. Will be unboxing tonight and degreasing the powder throw after that. I was wondering if anyone had a list of extra parts and bits that I might think about ordering? Also anything else I may want to think about doing that Hornady doesn't cover in their video series for the LNL. So far I have a couple of shell holders and extra bushings to allow for 3 caliber changes. Thanks.

Art

GioaJack
12-30-2009, 15:38
Call Hornady, as for the technical guys, tell them that after you operate the machine for a while your powder measure starts to turn and doesn't throw a charge. They'll send you a very thin shim that you put between the rubber gasket and the base of the bushing. (Not all of the measures turn but if you tell them yours does you'll already have the shim if you need it. I used to be a Boy Scout... I'm always prepared.)

Order a three pack of shell plate springs, about 4 bucks from Midway, you may never need them but nice to have in case you do.

Other than that there's really nothing else you need unless you want to use the Powder Cop die... I use them on both my LNL's. Get them from Midway too... a lot less than Hornady.

Jack

DoctaGlockta
12-30-2009, 18:31
Call Hornady, as for the technical guys, tell them that after you operate the machine for a while your powder measure starts to turn and doesn't throw a charge. They'll send you a very thin shim that you put between the rubber gasket and the base of the bushing. (Not all of the measures turn but if you tell them yours does you'll already have the shim if you need it. I used to be a Boy Scout... I'm always prepared.)

Order a three pack of shell plate springs, about 4 bucks from Midway, you may never need them but nice to have in case you do.

Other than that there's really nothing else you need unless you want to use the Powder Cop die... I use them on both my LNL's. Get them from Midway too... a lot less than Hornady.

Jack
Perfect Jack. Just what I needed. I'm going to dive into your book this weekend. Happy New Year.

GioaJack
12-30-2009, 18:40
Perfect Jack. Just what I needed. I'm going to dive into your book this weekend. Happy New Year.

Art:

If you have any problems or questions PM me... I'll be around, I don't have a life. :crying:

Jack

Bob2223
12-30-2009, 18:45
Congrats on your LNL !
If you do order a couple retainer springs might as well get a spare indexing pawl. I haven't needed one but have a spare just in case.

Bob

dudel
12-30-2009, 19:20
Well it came today. Will be unboxing tonight and degreasing the powder throw after that. I was wondering if anyone had a list of extra parts and bits that I might think about ordering? Art

Extra parts... How bout a 550b. :supergrin:

J/K. Congrats on a fine press. Enjoy it safely.

If it's like my old Hornady Pro-jector (the precursor) it's massive and likes a very, very sturdy bench.

Don

Cobra64
12-30-2009, 19:38
Well it came today. Will be unboxing tonight and degreasing the powder throw after that. I was wondering if anyone had a list of extra parts and bits that I might think about ordering? Also anything else I may want to think about doing that Hornady doesn't cover in their video series for the LNL. So far I have a couple of shell holders and extra bushings to allow for 3 caliber changes. Thanks.

ArtCongrats on your LnL! Great machine.

At about load 800 of .45 ACP, I missed a Berdan primed case and destroyed the Zip Spindle die assembly consisting of these die parts:

Zip Spindle - 398567
Headed Decap Pin - 396336
Expander Decap Retainer (caliber specific)

It's also not a bad idea to have a spare Spring Case Retainer - 392363

shotgunred
12-31-2009, 00:22
some blue paint.:supergrin:

Just kidding enjoy your new press.

Three-Five-Seven
12-31-2009, 10:38
You definitely want to order the powder dump attachment, which allows you to empty the powder measure without removing it from the press. Very handy and cheap.

You also want to order a universal powder expander gizmo from these guys: http://powderfunnels.com/products.html. The hornady expanders don't work worth a shizzle for lead bullets.

Colorado4Wheel
12-31-2009, 10:42
Congrats on your LnL! Great machine.

At about load 800 of .45 ACP, I missed a Berdan primed case and destroyed the Zip Spindle die assembly consisting of these die parts:

Zip Spindle - 398567
Headed Decap Pin - 396336
Expander Decap Retainer (caliber specific)

It's also not a bad idea to have a spare Spring Case Retainer - 392363

Did you pay for those parts?

GioaJack
12-31-2009, 10:55
You definitely want to order the powder dump attachment, which allows you to empty the powder measure without removing it from the press. Very handy and cheap.

You also want to order a universal powder expander gizmo from these guys: http://powderfunnels.com/products.html. The hornady expanders don't work worth a shizzle for lead bullets.

I believe the powder dump is more useful if you don't incorporate the included die bushings on the press.

If you have the powder measure attached to the bushing it's just a 1/8th twist, lift out the powder measure, pop off the lid, pour your powder back into the original container and replace the measure.

As with any other method you still want to lift the powder meter up several times just to make sure there are no stray grains lurking in the drum.

Just the way I do it... your procedure may be a better way.

I don't use any of the PTX's, Hornady or aftermarket, I just use the expander die... old dogs and new tricks... I'm still trying to figure out how to use a push button phone. :whistling:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
12-31-2009, 11:00
I have never understood the difficulty people seem to have dumping powder. Pull the die on the Hornady or the toolhead on the Dillon. It takes almost no time at all and the powder goes out the meter a lot fast through that big hole in the top then any small hole in the bottom of the measure.

Glock21sf-miami
01-02-2010, 21:50
Congrats! I've loaded around 2,000 .45 acp rounds on mine and love it!

Cobra64
01-02-2010, 21:53
I have never understood the difficulty people seem to have dumping powder. Pull the die on the Hornady or the toolhead on the Dillon. It takes almost no time at all and the powder goes out the meter a lot fast through that big hole in the top then any small hole in the bottom of the measure.That's what I do on my LnL, and cycle the action a few times to get out any leftover flakes.

DoctaGlockta
01-02-2010, 23:06
Well I finally found some time to set up the LNL. It is now mounted and the powder throw has been degreased. I have run a few rounds through the unit and have had considerable difficulty with the priming system. The slider arm locks in the back position often. Also the indexing system seems to be off a bit. Once in a while a case will jam and not properly fit into the resize/deprime or the belling die.

n2extrm
01-03-2010, 07:40
Sorry to hear your troubles Docta, I am sure it is an adjustment. I don't know the press sorry. Jack should be by I believe he knows the press well and can help, or send him a PM. Good luck, I am sure shortley you will smilling and cranking them out.

Don't tell Jack, but I have had few things give me trouble on my 550. Things out of adjustment and some user error or a little dirt here or there. They are all machines red, blue or green. They all do it. Good luck.

kcbrown
01-03-2010, 10:24
See, if you'd gotten a Lee Loadmaster then you would have expected trouble, and the experience would therefore have been much more pleasant! :tongueout:

Hopefully you'll be able to make it run smoothly and reliably. Hornady is supposed to have good customer service so if you can't get it to work properly on your own then they should be able to fix you up.

GioaJack
01-03-2010, 10:30
Art:

If the indexing timing is off simply adjust the timing pawls... the instruction manual covers this pretty clearly. I haven't had to do it on either of mine, they came perfectly times but the adjustment is simple.

There's pretty much nothing that can seriously go wrong with the priming system, it is actually very simplistic and straight forward. There are some visual deficiencies in the design however... especially for those of us with more 'mature' eyes.

There are two different primer tubes, (not the pick up tubes) that look identical, one for SP and one for LP. If you install the small tube with the LP punch it will fall into the primer slide and cause dragging or total jam.

Double check to make sure you have the primer slide return spring installed correctly, it's easiest with a pair of needle nose pliers, especially if you have ham hock fingers like me.

If both of your primer slides are dragging or locking back then something is out of adjustment. If only one is locking back you possibly have a burr somewhere on the slide and it would be a simple matter to smooth out the affected area.

I use no lube on mine what-so-ever and they function smooth as glass. If you continue to have problems give Hornady a call... they'll drop you new parts in the mail.

Good luck... let us know what happens.

Jack

Cobra64
01-03-2010, 11:58
Well I finally found some time to set up the LNL. It is now mounted and the powder throw has been degreased. I have run a few rounds through the unit and have had considerable difficulty with the priming system. The slider arm locks in the back position often. Also the indexing system seems to be off a bit. Once in a while a case will jam and not properly fit into the resize/deprime or the belling die.

I have the same problem, but only with small primers. The small primer primer feed plate has a slight camber (not perfectly flat) and so I think that may be the problem. As for lubricating these parts; since I rubbed graphite into the pores of the steel, the surfaces are slick, without attracting unwanted foreign substances.

Anyway, check out the flatness of the primer feed plate; I'd be interested in your findings. :)

Bob2223
01-03-2010, 13:58
I have run a few rounds through the unit and have had considerable difficulty with the priming system. The slider arm locks in the back position often. Also the indexing system seems to be off a bit. Once in a while a case will jam and not properly fit into the resize/deprime or the belling die.

I polished the primer slides with some 1000 grit wet paper then used the Hornady dry lube.
The timing was slightly off on my LNL but it was easy to adjust following the instructions.
Like the crazy old man said, ah,, I mean Jack, call Hornady if your still having problems.

Bob

DoctaGlockta
01-03-2010, 17:20
I think part of my problem may have been a not so sturdy bench. So I spent an hour or so tightening up my old one and replacing the top and a shelf. Also fastened it to the garage wall. Bench is solid now. May sneak out tonight after the kids are in bed to see if she runs a little smoother. Will check the primer slider and polish/lube prn. The downstroke on the ram just before the index seems to have a bit of resistance - more than I expected. Not sure if this is normal or not. It seems better now that the bench is solid. Would appreciate to know if others are like this. Also I'm using the large drum for the powder measure. Would you Rx just setting up the smaller one for pistol and the large one for rifle loads? Or just use the large drum for both?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions gentlemen.

GioaJack
01-03-2010, 18:13
The ram should operate smooth as butter... your pawls may still be a tad out of adjustment.

I use the small drum for all the pistol calibers, seems to throw a more consistent charge with relatively small loads. Only takes a few seconds to change it out.

Read the manual again on adjusting the indexing with the pawls, when it's adjusted correctly a baby can run the machine. Good luck.

Jack

Hydraulicman
01-03-2010, 18:17
:needspics:

DoctaGlockta
01-03-2010, 20:50
The ram should operate smooth as butter... your pawls may still be a tad out of adjustment.

I use the small drum for all the pistol calibers, seems to throw a more consistent charge with relatively small loads. Only takes a few seconds to change it out.

Read the manual again on adjusting the indexing with the pawls, when it's adjusted correctly a baby can run the machine. Good luck.

JackJust got back in from a garage session. Problems with indexing on ram down stroke. Raised the left pawl a pinch and now it seems to index great and priming is much more consistent. At least for now. Will shoot what I loaded tonight and see what happens tomorrow night. Even with my bumbling around and taking the shell plate on and off several times to rescue cases with partially seated primers I load faster than then old thighmaster. Thanks for your help.

DoctaGlockta
01-06-2010, 13:56
Another update. I have had the powder measure rotate on the press and then now throw powder as the case was lifting the measure and bushing out of the press. A call to Hornady (Thanks Jack) and I have a new shim and shell plate spring in the mail. I have also noticed that once in a while I'll get the cartridge hanging up just a hair on the deprime/sizing die (Lee). I'll let off the lever just a hair and then it will enter the die no problem. It is almost like the case isn't held in tight enough to the shell plate. So far so good. It is quite a difference loading with this as opposed to my Lee Handloader. Hit the range today at lunch and a bunch I loaded last night functioned perfectly. If you are new to reloading and thinking about a progressive press I would have to say take a close look at this one. Great value and seems to be a quality unit. Thanks again gentlemen for your help.

Colorado4Wheel
01-06-2010, 14:00
Paint it blue, maybe that will help.

;)
I did that for Gio BTW.

GioaJack
01-06-2010, 14:07
MODERATOR, MODERATOR... C4W is trying to start trouble. He's mad because he can't figure out how to build a loading bench.

Maybe I'll send my grandson over with his Bob the Builder plastic tools to help him out.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
01-06-2010, 14:20
7 mins. That must be some kind of record.

DoctaGlock,

I am a little curious about this part Hornady is sending out to fix your powder measure that seems it twist? Not sure from your description really. Sounds like your in the home stretch with getting that thing set up.

DoctaGlockta
01-06-2010, 14:31
7 mins. That must be some kind of record.

DoctaGlock,

I am a little curious about this part Hornady is sending out to fix your powder measure that seems it twist? Not sure from your description really. Sounds like your in the home stretch with getting that thing set up.Sorry for the poor description. After a few rounds I noticed that the LNL bushing had somehow turned and now was not locked into place. When this happened as I raised the ram and the case contacted the measure it lifted the bushing and powder measure out of the press. With no resistance no powder was released into the case.

I talked to Doug at Hornady and he is sending me out a metal shim. He said he had to install one on his LNL the other night. This should solve the problem. Jack had mentioned that I call even before I had the problem and get one sent out. That guy must have crystal balls or something ;)

Nice to talk to customer service folks that actually use the equipment they give tech support on. Good folk at Hornady.

Bob2223
01-06-2010, 14:33
MODERATOR, MODERATOR... C4W is trying to start trouble. He's mad because he can't figure out how to build a loading bench.

Maybe I'll send my grandson over with his Bob the Builder plastic tools to help him out.

Jack

I have to ask Steve,
Do you have any loading bench manuals or instructions?
You should get the ABC's of bench building and read it first.
Find your press, start with the lower height then work up from there raising the bench 1 inch at a time. Try 10 or so press cycles each time until you find the best bench level for your press.
Work slow be careful and keep an eye on your Bench Overall Height !

:supergrin:

Bob

DoctaGlockta
01-06-2010, 14:39
I have to ask Steve,
Find your press, start with the lower height then work up from there raising the bench 1 inch at a time. Try 10 or so press cycles each time until you find the best bench level for your press.

Bob
Well done sir. Dog pile on CW4 week here at GTR.

Colorado4Wheel
01-06-2010, 14:44
Sorry for the poor description. After a few rounds I noticed that the LNL bushing had somehow turned and now was not locked into place. When this happened as I raised the ram and the case contacted the measure it lifted the bushing and powder measure out of the press. With no resistance no powder was released into the case.

I talked to Doug at Hornady and he is sending me out a metal shim. He said he had to install one on his LNL the other night. This should solve the problem. Jack had mentioned that I call even before I had the problem and get one sent out. That guy must have crystal balls or something ;)

Nice to talk to customer service folks that actually use the equipment they give tech support on. Good folk at Hornady.

Interesting. Thanks.

GioaJack
01-06-2010, 14:54
I have to ask Steve,

Bob

And the battle begins... everyone must be bored. :whistling:

Comforting to know I'm not the only one without a life. :supergrin:

Jack

Cobra64
01-06-2010, 15:15

JackBob does nice work.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/CUSTOMHOME-1.jpg

GioaJack
01-06-2010, 16:16
Bob does nice work.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/CUSTOMHOME-1.jpg

A post from yet another loader without a life. It's amazing civilization continues to exist. :whistling:

Jack

thorn137
01-06-2010, 16:20
Sorry for the poor description. After a few rounds I noticed that the LNL bushing had somehow turned and now was not locked into place. When this happened as I raised the ram and the case contacted the measure it lifted the bushing and powder measure out of the press. With no resistance no powder was released into the case.

I've had this happen to. It's kind of startling the first couple of times, raising the ram up and seeing the powder dispenser come along with it. I've never figured out exactly how the friction happens in such a (non) perfect way to rotate the entire bushing out of the housing. Just isn't snug in there for whatever weird reason, almost like the hole itself was .002 oversized or something.

I fabbed a washer shim out of some thin cardboard many months ago, and the problem was solved. Interesting that there's actually an official part for it, now. I've wondered if a slightly thicker O-ring on the bushing would help, but given the shim worked I didn't worry about it anymore.

thorn

GioaJack
01-06-2010, 16:34
I've had this happen to. It's kind of startling the first couple of times, raising the ram up and seeing the powder dispenser come along with it. I've never figured out exactly how the friction happens in such a (non) perfect way to rotate the entire bushing out of the housing. Just isn't snug in there for whatever weird reason, almost like the hole itself was .002 oversized or something.

I fabbed a washer shim out of some thin cardboard many months ago, and the problem was solved. Interesting that there's actually an official part for it, now. I've wondered if a slightly thicker O-ring on the bushing would help, but given the shim worked I didn't worry about it anymore.

thorn

Hornady will send you a thin metal shim that goes between the O-ring and the lip of the bushing. Takes three seconds to put it on.

(Of course bob2223 had to hire 2 men and a small boy to help him install his.) :whistling:

Jack

Cobra64
01-06-2010, 16:45
A post from yet another loader without a life. It's amazing civilization continues to exist. :whistling:

Jack

As always, you're right of course. Since we got a lot of snow here in North Carolina, and besides reloading ammo, we southerners have a lot of time on our hands.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Cartoons/Typist.jpg

:rofl:

GioaJack
01-06-2010, 16:48
As always, you're right of course. Since we got a lot of snow here in North Carolina, and besides reloading ammo, we southerners have a lot of time on our hands.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Cartoons/Typist.jpg

:rofl:

Southerner! What'da ya mean Southerner... anyone born north of I-10 is a Damn Yankee! :supergrin:

Jack

Cobra64
01-06-2010, 16:52
Southerner! What'da ya mean Southerner... anyone born north of I-10 is a Damn Yankee! :supergrin:

JackSome of the NC natives believe that NC is a "Nothern" state, and you have to go south of the NC/SC border to be considered a reb. :supergrin:

Mattog22
02-14-2010, 09:56
I don't know if I missed the response here but I would recommend the small pistol rotor and metering assembly to put in the powder drop to get more consistent small charges such as when using TG. I have found Hornady Customer Service to be excellent. I have bent spindles in their sizing dies by hitting berdan primed or crimped military stuff and other parts because of my own stupidity and learning curve. I just give them a call and tell them I would like to purchase the parts since it was 100% my fault and they just send me replacement parts at no cost. Boy, caliber conversions are a lot cheaper for the Red machine, just the $26 shell plate and dies, how much is a caliber conversion for the Blue paint manually indexed machine? Just giving you Dillon guys a hard time since I receive so much grief since I load on a Hornady :)

Suburban
02-14-2010, 16:25
Oldish thread, but I'll throw in my two cents.

I gave up on the Hornady powder thru expander things. The 9mm and 45ACP ones both seemed too small to do any good. I haven't tried the universal one though.

Put some threadlocker on the screws of the powder measure linkage, and that big Allen-head screw at the top of the ram. The one just under the plate that the shell holders bolt to.

Haven't broken anything yet, in 10,000 plus rounds, although I'm sure that it'll break next time I use it now. I had the retainer spring come apart, but I just pushed the ends back together and all has been well.

Remove the primer slider, and clean it and the slot it rides in frequently. Powder finds its way in there, and jams the slider.

That's a yes on the pistol rotor for the powder measure. The micrometer metering widget for it is really nice to have also.

dudel
02-15-2010, 08:06
I'll be around, I don't have a life. :crying:

Jack

Is that because you have a LNL? :whistling:

Don

aerod1
02-15-2010, 08:58
[QUOTE=shotgunred;14448277]some blue paint.:supergrin:QUOTE]

.....for the everyday low price of $300.00!!:rofl:

GioaJack
02-15-2010, 10:48
Is that because you have a LNL? :whistling:

Don

Basically yes... my LNL's load so quickly and so flawlessly I'm left with loads of spare time.

I guess I could buy a couple more Dillons and use that time 'tinkering and adjusting'.

(When I was growing up I believe we used to call this 'playing the dozens'. Never screw with old men... we'll play... we've got nothing better to do. :supergrin:

Jack

dudel
02-15-2010, 12:35
Basically yes... my LNL's load so quickly and so flawlessly I'm left with loads of spare time.

I guess I could buy a couple more Dillons and use that time 'tinkering and adjusting'.

(When I was growing up I believe we used to call this 'playing the dozens'. Never screw with old men... we'll play... we've got nothing better to do. :supergrin:

Jack

Whoa! I thought the butler did all you loading?

GioaJack
02-15-2010, 16:49
Whoa! I thought the butler did all you loading?

What do I look like, a slave driver? The butler gets one day off a month... now the maid, that's a different story. :whistling:

Jack

dudel
02-15-2010, 18:24
What do I look like, a slave driver? The butler gets one day off a month... now the maid, that's a different story. :whistling:

Jack

One day on, one day off? :whistling:

rockymtnhorror
12-04-2011, 10:54
I just got one of these and was going through the initial setup. I had installed the decapping/sizing die and was checking it for adjustment. First case I tested, the plate jammed on the upstroke. Not being familiar with how much resistance I should feel, I managed to break off the left pawl. As it's the weekend, (of course) I'll get hold of Hornady Monday and get replacements. Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the stub of the broken pawl? Removing the adjusting screw is easy, but the rest of it is pretty firmly in the hole. Also any tips on adjustment I would really appreciate.

TN.Frank
12-04-2011, 11:45
:needspics:

LOL, I was just going to say that you NEVER got it until we see pics.:rofl:

TN.Frank
12-04-2011, 11:47

Jack

She get's off as often as you can catch her, right?:rofl:

Suburban
12-05-2011, 00:45
Alright. Since the thread has come back to life. . .

When you change shellplates, put the new one on, tighten down the bolt, and THEN reinstall the shell retainer spring. If you put the shell retainer spring on, and then tighten down the bolt after, you risk squishing and mangling the spring. Once the spring is mangled, ejection gets iffy.

thorn137
12-05-2011, 21:40
Installing the spring, part 2:

Dont catch it on one edge, and stretch it all the way to the other side like a rubber band. It will possibly snap. Edge it gently AROUND the plate, and push it into place. Once in position, it will have a very long life.

thorn

shotgunred
12-05-2011, 22:33

Art

Sorry to hear that.