Sell my (2) Mossy 500s for an 870 or fix up one of my 500s? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sell my (2) Mossy 500s for an 870 or fix up one of my 500s?

Laramie In MT
12-30-2009, 19:46
Ok, trying to figure out what to do here. Primary use for the gun will be bedside duty, walkaround gun for hiking, atv trips and backup gun for 3gun/multi-gun matches.

I have 2 Mossy 500s.

1 - purchased from a friend a few years ago, wood is nice, frame feels sturdy, it was originally a 26"? barrel, but I replaced with 18". Only problem is that when there is only 1 round in the tube, when you rack the slide, it doesn't always eject into the chamber. Single bead front sight.

2 - black synthetic, purchased from Big 5, feels cheaply made compared to my other, 18" barrel, single bead front sight.

I'm looking for increased tube capacity and a front and rear sight for use with slugs (mostly 3gun/multi-gun).

The Mossy tube isn't like an 870 that just accepts a tube extention, only option is this barrel/tube unit from brownells that's a bit pricy, but I do like the sights that come on it.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=41537/sku/Barrel__20___8_Shot__Rifle_Sights__Blue

So, I'm thinking I could sell both, and pick up an nice 870, get an extension, new sights and be good to go.

Or, sell the synthetic 500 and use it to fund the barrel/tube setup for the other 500.

I'm considereing the 870 because every 870 I have handled just feels more solid and better made than my 500s.

Only thing holding me back is I'm a lefty, and the ambi-safety and slide release on the Mossy is a lot easier for me to manipulate than the 870s.

luv2brode
01-01-2010, 14:31
for what you are talking about i would clean up both mossys, cheaper than buying a new one, get a sidemount for each to hold another full load of ammo, and you load as you shoot if it for home and self defense put the pistol grip on it with the 18 inch barrel it aint like you have a huge distance to worry bout sighting in for.
just my .02

glockdoc21
01-01-2010, 15:28
590 ftw

byf43
01-01-2010, 16:05
I've not been a fan of Mossberg(s), since I had a problem with the disconnect on one that I owned, years ago.

I'd rid myself of the Mossbergs and buy an 870, personally.

Now, with that said, I do have two NIB Mossberg shotguns (12 ga. and .410 bore), that I won, and have been contemplating selling them.
I know I'll never take them out of their box(es).

Get an 870. There are more 'bells and whistles' for the 870 than there are for the Mossberg(s).

Thanks for reading.