Pics of my AR and a couple of questions... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my AR and a couple of questions...

tbone86
12-30-2009, 21:28
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/8308/img0661o.jpg
By jholder86 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jholder86), shot with iPhone 3G (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=iPhone+3G&make=Apple) at 2009-12-30

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6275/img0660ih.jpg
By jholder86 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jholder86), shot with iPhone 3G (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=iPhone+3G&make=Apple) at 2009-12-30

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9440/img0659f.jpg

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/1976/img0657p.jpg

The specs of my rifle:
Spikes tactical lower
Rock river lower parts (stage 2 match trigger)
DPMS 16" 1/9 complete upper
Magpul MIAD grip (FDE)
Magpul rear sight (FDE)
Primary arms Aimpoint Clone
OD green stock and handguard

What internal parts should I replace (if any) to make this rifle a tank. I've read about titanium firing pins and better extractors, what are your thoughts on those? Also, is a chrome plated bolt and carrier worth investing in? I plan on using it at some carbine courses and if shtf, plus for recreation. I'm still an AR newb so any advice will definately help. Thanks for lookin!

RMTactical
12-30-2009, 21:32
May consider buying a BCM bolt carrier group (or at least bolt) and just using that. Keep your original BCG as a spare.

I wouldn't get a titanium firing pin though.

HAIL CAESAR
12-30-2009, 21:49
What internal parts should I replace (if any) to make this rifle a tank.
Get rid of the RRA 2 stage trigger. It will go out on you, I guaranty it.
I would run a 5.56 reamer in the DPMS chamber as they are known to stamp 5.56 on the barrel but actually be a .223. That is bad!!!!

If with RM about the BCM bolt or BCG.

You have BUIS so when the fakepoint dies you will have a sighting system.

Last on all I would skip the titanium firing pin stuff.

tbone86
12-30-2009, 21:58
Get rid of the RRA 2 stage trigger. It will go out on you, I guaranty it.
I would run a 5.56 reamer in the DPMS chamber as they are known to stamp 5.56 on the barrel but actually be a .223. That is bad!!!!

If with RM about the BCM bolt or BCG.

You have BUIS so when the fakepoint dies you will have a sighting system.

Last on all I would skip the titanium firing pin stuff.

I was wondering about the trigger, my buddy has a timney drop-in on his AR and I loved the pull on it. I'll look into the 5.56 reamer. Thanks

HAIL CAESAR
12-30-2009, 22:14
I was wondering about the trigger, my buddy has a timney drop-in on his AR and I loved the pull on it. I'll look into the 5.56 reamer. Thanks

I understand about nice trigger pulls. But you have to spend some money to get a good pull that is solid enough for a training class. Geiselle SSA is the only one I would recommend, unless others have experiences.

And don't ream it yourself. Let a smith or trained armorer to it.

Norcal911
12-30-2009, 23:10
I rarely disagree with HC but at least give that RRA trigger a chance since you already have it. I haven't heard much good about them especially compared to geiselle or KAC (both are top of the line) but I have run a RRA 2 stage through a couple of classes and on the street and its holding up. While I understand that is hardly any sort of sientific test, mine works. I got it before I knew better and started using it. The feel is great but the complaint I've heard is that the 2 stage part of it goes away. It doesn't become dangerous or anything, you just loose the nice 2 stage part of it. Anyway, since you have it, run it and get a geiselle as a spare and use it when the RRA goes south. Geiselle makes a little known budget model for less than $200that is great for a duty rifle. Couple of guys on my team run them and they work great. I've also had good luck with a couple of Bill Springfield trigger jobs and they are quite a bargain. I'm no operator but I do instruct and carry an AR daily so your mileage may vary. What other people said is great advice as far as a BCM FA bolt and an aimpoint or Eotech.

Let's talk about the firing pin. Why no titanium? I'm certainly not disagreeing, just have no knowledge on it. I'm guessing too brittle or too expensive and not necesary, but I've never run one and never had the discussion. Can somebody enlighten me?-Norcal911

HAIL CAESAR
12-31-2009, 00:02
Norcal, you really have a RRA 2 stage with a high round count?? Wow, every one I've seen rolled over at 2 to 4 thousand, some even less than that. But strange things do happen, I know a guy with a Oly upper on a FA lower and it runs like a top. ( Who would have guessed that :faint:)

The Geiselle SSA is the duty trigger for $180 ish. I thought I would never use a 2 stage trigger on a hard use gun and my work gun, but after hearing from A LOT of knowledgeable folks that this trigger will last I finally got one.

Your right on about the titanium firing pin.

lawman800
12-31-2009, 01:01
Get thee self to a real HWS (Holographic Weapons Sight) like the EOTech, ACOG or Aimpoint. The cheapies will work for the range and plinking but when the chips are down, they will fail you. There's a reason why the soldiers on the frontline in Iraq where they are being shot at everyday and shooting back everyday use only the good stuff.

You never regret paying for quality. Remember, something cheap might work 99% of the time but when the chips are down, you need it 100% and that 1% failure will be when you need it to save your life.

Gawd... I sound like a self-appointed gun course guru.

RMTactical
12-31-2009, 03:33
I have only seen one RRA 2-Stage with a high round count (approx. 4-5K rounds) and it works well still. The others I have seen have not gotten up that high of a round count, but they still work well.

As for titanium firing pins, they are more prone to breakage.

ezterra
12-31-2009, 11:10
I have only seen one RRA 2-Stage with a high round count (approx. 4-5K rounds) and it works well still. The others I have seen have not gotten up that high.

As for titanium firing pins, they are more prone to breakage.

I have an RRA Entry Tactical that's I had since '04. It still has the original 2 stage trigger and somewhere in the neighborhood of 7-8K rounds through it and several carbine classes and 3 gun matches. I do notice that when it gets dirty, I kind of loose the first stage and the trigger reset can feel almost as if it won't reset, but it always does.

Norcal911
12-31-2009, 12:07
Ya, it not terribly high round count, probably 5K-ish and it still feels fine. I don't think the geiselle has much on the RRA for feel, its just durability thing. One of these days I'll swap it out but I figured if its not broke don't fix it, at least not yet. My Bill Springfield's are holding up pretty well too, although they are probably at less than 2K rounds. My results are far from any sort of scientific test, just happens to work for me. I've heard enough from people who know not to buy another RRA trigger but it wouldn't stop me from using one I already have.

A lot of people think a milspec trigger is fine for a duty style rifle and if that's what you train with I'm sure it is, but I'm a big believer in a good trigger. As long as its durable and you train with it, I think you give up nothing in CQB or safety and I think it gives you an advantage for longer range precision shots.

I'll have to second what LM said about optics. Save up and buy the good stuff. Aimpoint or Eotech are fine although the merits of both have been vigorously debated many times as well. I'm actually starting to like some of the 1-4X's that are out. My times on close stuff weren't much different but my groups at a 100 were much better with a 1-4X. Hardly a consideration for my duty gun as I work in the city, but if I give up nothing in speed and I can go to 4X for a longer shot or provide intel to the incident commander with higher magnification, that's a plus in my book. I'm experimenting with the Millett DMS on my match gun. Seems to be a descent product, but I wouldn't put it on my duty rifle. I think the lowest tier 1-4X I'd put on a duty rifle would be the TR24 and then they pretty much line up by price with the short dot or the Z6 (1-6X) being the pinnacle in performance as well as price. Happy shopping-Norcal911

crenca
12-31-2009, 14:40
Let's talk about the firing pin. Why no titanium? I'm certainly not disagreeing, just have no knowledge on it. I'm guessing too brittle or too expensive and not necesary, but I've never run one and never had the discussion. Can somebody enlighten me?-Norcal911

Titanium is a brittle, finicky metal - very difficult to work with from a manufacturing stand point. I can't imagine why anyone would want to use it in a firearm for any reason unless you were trying to go for something with planned obsolescence. Using it for something as functional as a firing pin? At least put it somewhere that when it cracks the gun has a chance of functioning.

Well, there is the marketing aspect - everyone knows that it is exotic and expensive, so it just has to be good...

:supergrin:

MrMurphy
12-31-2009, 16:49
1. Real optic.

2. Spare BCG, a Bravo Company one works fine.

3. Make sure the one in the gun is properly staked.

4. Don't overclean the gun, lube it with Slip 2000.

5. Get rid of match triggers. Either go stock, or go Geissele.

tbone86
01-01-2010, 03:00
Thanks for all the input guys, my next mod will either be the bravo company bcg or the trigger. And then a visit to the smithy, I think all of those are more important than getting a quad rail and foregrip. I went with the aimpoint knock off since I'm on a budget being a recent college graduate and still working at a restaurant, eventually I'll acquire the proper optics. All the advice is much appreciated, thanks again! :wavey:

HAIL CAESAR
01-01-2010, 03:02
Sounds like you have your priorities in order.

tbone86
01-01-2010, 03:02
Also i forgot to mention I have the Magpul sling in dark earth, and I'm waiting on the ASAP mount to come in the mail. So far I'm loving the simplicity and ability to do either 1 or 2 point.

HAIL CAESAR
01-01-2010, 03:05
Also i forgot to mention I have the Magpul sling in dark earth, and I'm waiting on the ASAP mount to come in the mail. So far I'm loving the simplicity and ability to do either 1 or 2 point.

I thought it was a marketing gimmick till I tried that set up. Once I realized it was superior to anything I have ever used, I bought the Sling and plate.

tbone86
01-01-2010, 03:10
Now I have been made fun of by some friends for using a polymer rear sight, but magpul's products seem to be solid across the board. Do you think it would hold up for a carbine class just as well as a metal rear sight?

lawman800
01-01-2010, 03:15
Get a real rear sight, like the ARMS 40L... which I have, coincidentally.:supergrin:

As for priorities and budget... hey, you got into this hobby of playing the AR game, now you must pay... I left my AR alone for 12 years... and then within the last month, I blew about $1,500 on optics, sights, upper assembly, stock, etc. to rebuild it as a M4gery in the best way a non-soldier can build.

tbone86
01-01-2010, 03:20
Get a real rear sight, like the ARMS 40L... which I have, coincidentally.:supergrin:

As for priorities and budget... hey, you got into this hobby of playing the AR game, now you must pay... I left my AR alone for 12 years... and then within the last month, I blew about $1,500 on optics, sights, upper assembly, stock, etc. to rebuild it as a M4gery in the best way a non-soldier can build.
I understand, I believe there are very few hobbies that are inexpensive. Over time as I make more money, my AR will improve. But for now since I'm on a budget and based on the rifle that I have, I want to invest money into the functional areas where I will reap the benefits (i.e. durability). My brother has a diamondhead rear sight on his AR and I'm really digging it. Supposedly they help manufacture parts for troy or vice versa. For now I'll stick with the plastic rear sight and put it to the test. Plus I can't keep myself from tinkering with my guns. :cool:

lawman800
01-01-2010, 03:45
I believe there are very few hobbies that are inexpensive

1. Stamp collecting (stick to the ones you get with your mail and don't ever go buy any) = FREE

2. Stargazing (if you already have binocs or a telescope) = FREE

3. Bird watching (if you have binocs) = FREE

4. Running (if you have athletic shoes) = FREE

5. Research/Reading (at public libraries or online) = FREE

There you go!

tbone86
01-01-2010, 03:57
1. Stamp collecting (stick to the ones you get with your mail and don't ever go buy any) = FREE

2. Stargazing (if you already have binocs or a telescope) = FREE

3. Bird watching (if you have binocs) = FREE

4. Running (if you have athletic shoes) = FREE

5. Research/Reading (at public libraries or online) = FREE

There you go!
Wow you named 5 hobbies, here are some common ones that are quite expensive:
1. Firearms (obviously)
2. Cars, motorcycles, boats (could list them individually but you get the idea)
3. Anything remote controlled (planes, cars, helicopters)
4. Collections (stamps, comics, historical stuff or antiques)
5. Music (good instruments aren't cheap)

Also each of the 5 hobbies you named require some form of monetary requirement possibly even the research/reading. I also gurantee that people are out there that have spent lots of money on those hobbies to get the best stuff wether its the best telescope or the best running shoes. It all boils down to how obsessed you are and how much you're willing to spend.

HAIL CAESAR
01-01-2010, 04:00
Now I have been made fun of by some friends for using a polymer rear sight, but magpul's products seem to be solid across the board. Do you think it would hold up for a carbine class just as well as a metal rear sight?

From what I have seen of them.....Yes they will work just as good as any of the top rated sights.

lawman800
01-01-2010, 11:52
Wow you named 5 hobbies, here are some common ones that are quite expensive:
1. Firearms (obviously)
2. Cars, motorcycles, boats (could list them individually but you get the idea)
3. Anything remote controlled (planes, cars, helicopters)
4. Collections (stamps, comics, historical stuff or antiques)
5. Music (good instruments aren't cheap)

Also each of the 5 hobbies you named require some form of monetary requirement possibly even the research/reading. I also gurantee that people are out there that have spent lots of money on those hobbies to get the best stuff wether its the best telescope or the best running shoes. It all boils down to how obsessed you are and how much you're willing to spend.

You can make anything about as relatively inexpensive or expensive as you want to make it. Unfortunately, I am into #1, 2 (cars n motorcycles) and 4 (stamps, coins, knives, comics) on your list... and I didn't go cheap.

For example, I have a friend who's into fine dining that can go to a cheap Chinese restaurant for dinner which usually would cost me $10-15 a person and he can order up junk that nobody eats and we end up paying $50 a person. I stopped going out with him to dinner at those places.

Like you said, priorities. My belief is that if I am going to do it, I will do it right instead of doing it sorta right and then have to redo it later. You end up spending more money anyway since you have to buy more of the same thing or replacing something cheap that broke.

My M4gery sat without an optic for a month until I took the plunge and got an EOTech. Was debating about cheap optics but decided it wasn't worth it in the long run.

Buy quality. Cry once. Be done.

Giggity-Giggity
01-01-2010, 12:13
Nice. I'd love to match my AR with my OD Green Glocks...but they doesn't match.

Norcal911
01-01-2010, 13:34
Speaking of the Magpul plate and sling. I really like the plate, what a great, simple idea. I like the sling but I'm not a fan of the adjuster. I really like the VTAC sling adjuster. I think I'm going to try to take a VTAC sling and change it into an MS2 style sling. I think a MASH hook on the ASP plate will work but I'm looking for a better connector for the connection that will be moved back and forth to make the change from single point to 2 point. I've considered an H&K hook but I would rather have one of the connectors that actually comes on the MS2, but I would like to get one without cutting up a $50 sling. Anybody know what those are called or where to get them? Somebody said it looks like the stuff horse people use on reins and harnesses but I've been unable to locate anything that looked good. Maybe somebody has a suggestion on a better or comparable hook-up? Needs to go from a CQD plate up front to either the MASH hook on the rear connector or the ring on the ASP-Norcal911

lawman800
01-01-2010, 20:06
****** sells mash hooks to convert slings for $3.95.

Alaskapopo
01-01-2010, 21:15
I rarely disagree with HC but at least give that RRA trigger a chance since you already have it. I haven't heard much good about them especially compared to geiselle or KAC (both are top of the line) but I have run a RRA 2 stage through a couple of classes and on the street and its holding up. While I understand that is hardly any sort of sientific test, mine works. I got it before I knew better and started using it. The feel is great but the complaint I've heard is that the 2 stage part of it goes away. It doesn't become dangerous or anything, you just loose the nice 2 stage part of it. Anyway, since you have it, run it and get a geiselle as a spare and use it when the RRA goes south. Geiselle makes a little known budget model for less than $200that is great for a duty rifle. Couple of guys on my team run them and they work great. I've also had good luck with a couple of Bill Springfield trigger jobs and they are quite a bargain. I'm no operator but I do instruct and carry an AR daily so your mileage may vary. What other people said is great advice as far as a BCM FA bolt and an aimpoint or Eotech.

I have heard of RRA triggers going down with heavy use. I think Hailcaesar is right on with this one. Go Geisselle or go stock GI trigger.
Pat