probably a stupid Colt question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : probably a stupid Colt question

c5367
12-30-2009, 22:07
So I have a guy proposing a deal, he is offering a Colt "Colt H-bar national match, heavy barrel 20 ", AR-15" and claims it is worth about 2k.... is this a model above and beyond the typical Colt Match Target Hbar that I don't know about?

NeverMore1701
12-30-2009, 22:30
Does it come with anything?

HAIL CAESAR
12-31-2009, 00:41
I highly doubt what he is trying to trade you is worth more than 900 dollars. I have no way to definitely say for sure with out the details on the rifle, but I bet you it's only worth 7 to 9 hundred dollars.

lawman800
12-31-2009, 01:03
Colt did make a National Match version but I would get the serial # and have Colt authenticate everything first. The factory has the service and has traced guns as old as original SAAs for owners.

Gallium
12-31-2009, 05:26
Colt did make a National Match version but I would get the serial # and have Colt authenticate everything first. The factory has the service and has traced guns as old as original SAAs for owners.

Colt does not give out this information for free. It's either 10,20 or 50 dollars if memory serves me correct. I know because I made an inquiry on a AR15 I purchased recently. They told me the date it was manufactured, and that's it. Two weeks later I received a letter in the mail with a price list on how much it would cost to find out stuff about the gun. I ripped that up, put it in the garbage.

In my very very very limited experience, these heavy barrel models have a higher list price from both Colt (when available) and Bushmaster.

But for goodness sake not $1000 more!

'Drew

c5367
12-31-2009, 07:21

Do you happen to know what these National Match editions went for?

lawman800
12-31-2009, 10:08
Colt does not give out this information for free. It's either 10,20 or 50 dollars if memory serves me correct. I know because I made an inquiry on a AR15 I purchased recently. They told me the date it was manufactured, and that's it. Two weeks later I received a letter in the mail with a price list on how much it would cost to find out stuff about the gun. I ripped that up, put it in the garbage.

In my very very very limited experience, these heavy barrel models have a higher list price from both Colt (when available) and Bushmaster.

But for goodness sake not $1000 more!

'Drew

Hey, I never said it was for free... I think the prelim search to authenticate is $20 and then you can pay for more such as lineage and any notable owners of record or something. May be worth it if you can trace Doc Holliday or something as one of the original owners or something, but I don't think Doc is an AR guy for some reason... I see him as more of the HK type, he's definitely an operator and HK loves him, for sure.:whistling:

Some guy in another thread said he saw a Delta Elite HBar go for $2,600+. Again, like all assets, what value do you assign to it?:supergrin:

lawman800
12-31-2009, 10:09
Do you happen to know what these National Match editions went for?

IIRC, HBar target variants were selling for about $1,200+ when the regular Colt rifles were going for $600-800, back in the late 80s and early 90s.

Gallium
12-31-2009, 11:01
Hey! Lawman! :)

I never said you said the info was free ;)

To the OP, you live in Indiana. If it's pre-ban, it's worth to someone who would pay, $1500 and up. To someone like you than can buy any generic rifle, unless there is some nostalgia involved, not more than what a new rifle that meets your needs / wants cost.

'Drew

c5367
12-31-2009, 14:52
IIRC, HBar target variants were selling for about $1,200+ when the regular Colt rifles were going for $600-800, back in the late 80s and early 90s.

Hey! Lawman! :)

I never said you said the info was free ;)

To the OP, you live in Indiana. If it's pre-ban, it's worth to someone who would pay, $1500 and up. To someone like you than can buy any generic rifle, unless there is some nostalgia involved, not more than what a new rifle that meets your needs / wants cost.

'Drew

Kinda thought so. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn in a awhile, so I wasn't sure on this. I thought so, but I didn't want to be the jack*** that starts arguing without knowing what I'm talking about.

Thanks Lawman and Drew for the helpful info. :thumbsup:

lawman800
12-31-2009, 15:38
Exactly!

Drew, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

Gallium
12-31-2009, 15:51
Exactly!

Drew, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

One for three sir. In that sentence all you got correct was my name! :supergrin:

Best wishes in 2010, for all of my fellow black rifle aficionados. :cool:

'Drew

lawman800
12-31-2009, 18:14
1 out of 3 ain't bad odds. That's better than my batting average... with women... that is.

faawrenchbndr
12-31-2009, 18:45
....Some guy in another thread said he saw a Delta Elite HBar go for $2,600+. Again, like all assets, what value do you assign to it?:supergrin:

That was me,......I nsaw one sell for $2625 at a private Estate sale. :wow:
It was mint, unfired, rubber armoured scope with mount, aluminum case, and accessory packet.

PlasticGuy
12-31-2009, 19:48
Does it come with anything?
Vasaline, I would hope.

lawman800
01-01-2010, 03:30
KY works better for the rape-age that goes on with AR guns.

Gallium
01-01-2010, 04:32
KY works better for the rape-age that goes on with AR guns.

I apologize for going further off topic, but it's KY upfront (no pun intended) before the act, an a big vat of Vagasil to soothe the bruising in the aftermath.

:cool:

lawman800
01-01-2010, 11:10
I recommend Preparation H.

Samuel Colt rocks! (to stay on topic for the mods)

wjv
01-01-2010, 21:50
This is a Colt Sporter Pre-Clinton-Ban AR-15 HBAR-MATCH, Blued 6601

Think I paid ~$1100 NIB

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/bcvojak/RVNet/P1030381.jpg

Can't say that they never made a National Match Version, but at the time I bought, The only "higher grade" that was available was basically the same gun, in a flat-top version.

lawman800
01-03-2010, 01:52
A2 with no bayonet lug for $1,100?

Gallium
01-03-2010, 04:13
A2 with no bayonet lug for $1,100?

Please don't get me hopped up on the bayo lug. In NY we can't have those on new guns (unless they are on a pre ban lower). What am I going to do with a bayo lug? WHAT ****ING USE is a bayo lug to me when I have 30 rounds of 2000+ fps 55gr bullets leaving the muzzle?? :faint:

NY: The origination of dumb and dumber legislation.

lawman800
01-03-2010, 09:21
Please don't get me hopped up on the bayo lug. In NY we can't have those on new guns (unless they are on a pre ban lower). What am I going to do with a bayo lug? WHAT ****ING USE is a bayo lug to me when I have 30 rounds of 2000+ fps 55gr bullets leaving the muzzle?? :faint:

NY: The origination of dumb and dumber legislation.

At least you can still buy them with mags that drop. CA requires fixed 10 round mags so either you get a bullet button to fix the mag in place or you open the AR up and feed 10 round stripper clips from the top like a SKS.

Of course, you can get a Monster Man grip and take out the pistol grip, then you can have all the drop free 10 round mags to your heart's content.... Go ahead, google "California legal AR" but be warned, what has been seen cannot be unseen!

Oh well, at least the weather's nice. Going to ride with my buddies to the beach today.

c5367
01-24-2010, 10:24
Finally got a chance to go check out the rifle.

Turns out it was actually just an old (but seemingly unfired) pre ban Heavy Barrel Sporter exactly like bcvojak's pictured rifle.

Thanks again guys!

djegators
01-24-2010, 16:42
I was looking for a chart I had seen before, that gave info for all the Colt models of AR15s, years of production, and serial number ranges. Anyone have that?