Range won't let me rapidfire, how do I practice it? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Range won't let me rapidfire, how do I practice it?

golls17
12-31-2009, 10:17
I've been meaning to ask this, and keep forgetting.

None of the ranges near me allow me to work on fast shooting. One even has a "3 seconds between each shot" rule/guideline.

Since all of my guns are Glocks, I have to reset the trigger each time I dry fire, and I don't feel like putting that one fancy practice trigger in.

Any other suggestions to work on consistent "rapid" trigger pulls?

The closest I've gotten so far is using my trigger finger on a spray bottle while sanitizing tables at work... :upeyes:

Glenn E. Meyer
12-31-2009, 11:05
Check out local IDPA or IPSC clubs.

David Armstrong
12-31-2009, 11:39
There is a drill we were taught at Glock Instructor school. You adopt a good firing position. Your buddy stands where he can grab the slide of the gun. You pull the trigger, he racks the slide as quickly as possible. Once you get the details worked out what you basically end up with is your buddy providing simulated recoil and the opportunity for a rapid followup shot. When your buddy gets the rack down you can rapid fire multiple shots.

golls17
12-31-2009, 12:46
Check out local IDPA or IPSC clubs.

I'd love to, but current funds won't allow :crying:

There is a drill we were taught at Glock Instructor school. You adopt a good firing position. Your buddy stands where he can grab the slide of the gun. You pull the trigger, he racks the slide as quickly as possible. Once you get the details worked out what you basically end up with is your buddy providing simulated recoil and the opportunity for a rapid followup shot. When your buddy gets the rack down you can rapid fire multiple shots.

Sounds great! Sounds like I need to find a friend who likes guns as much as me. Maybe I can talk my fiance into it (not likely). Sounds like a great drill.

Mr. Blandings
12-31-2009, 19:56
I'd love to, but current funds won't allow :crying:If funds are that limited, you probably want to stick to dry firing. Rapid fire eats costly ammo quickly.

That being said, check with your local shooting ranges to see if they offer ANY opportunity for more realistic shooting. Some ranges conduct in-house "tactical" or "advanced" classes that allow departure from the normal range rules (draw from holster, draw from concealment, rapid fire, shoot on the move, etc...). Another option may be a shooting league or club that is not necessarily IPSC/IDPA sanctioned, but shoots similar courses of fire.

The key is to become familiar with your local shooting community. Talk to the range staff. Talk to other experienced shooters. Good luck!

stengun
12-31-2009, 21:13
Howdy,

This is the dumbest thing that I have read on GT during 2009!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

gollbladder13,
Do what I did. I bought a house in the country and made my own range.

Since I'm the Range Master, I can do anything that I want to do.

Paul

David Armstrong
01-01-2010, 11:21
This is the dumbest thing that I have read on GT during 2009!
Perhaps, then, you should make note of the issue and inform Glock, Inc. about that. I'm sure they would love your insight on how they should be training folks with their pistol!:upeyes:

23 David
01-03-2010, 07:03
Dosen't Glock make a training pistol that can be dry fired without having to rack the slide?

Gallium
01-03-2010, 07:24
Dosen't Glock make a training pistol that can be dry fired without having to rack the slide?

Yes 23 David. :cool: It's their "P" pistol. I would surmise that what David A. speaks of is not a part of Glock Inc's 3 day pistol instructor workshop "official" exercises. I aint ever heard of it. See below for a PDF of what Glock Inc offers (of course, Glock instructors are allowed wide berth in deviating from the script...but it aint in the script) in it's 3 day/20 hr Instructor Workshop course.
http://www.glocktraining.com/files/IW_Course.pdf

Did he do that drill? I have no reason to disbelieve him.

To answer your question:

"The following models are available: G17P, G19P, G22P, G23P and G26P. Glock Practice Pistols are only available to law enforcement officers."

http://www.tgscom.com/images/sharedimages/glockFAQ/redtrainers.jpg

David Armstrong
01-03-2010, 10:59
I would surmise that what David A. speaks of is not a part of Glock Inc's 3 day pistol instructor workshop "official" exercises.
Don't know about official exercises, I just know that it was a part of the training when I went through in 1993 and was also part of the Instructor course a friend went through in 2005. It was done as a part of the "Trigger Reset Drills". But you are right, there is a lot of divergence in what the different instructors teach and how they teach it. After 5 Armorer courses, sometimes I wonder if they are talking about the same pistol<G>!

Deaf Smith
01-03-2010, 17:26
gollbladder13,

Option 1:

Do they allow silencers at the rangers you go to? If not, get one and cheat!

Also do they have a stop watch to clock you? Three seconds sound kind of stupid.

Option 2:

May I suggest a Glock Trigger Reset kit?

http://www.sniperworld.com/books/gear_13.html

Or

The Glock Dry-Practice Kit (trigger re-set kit).

http://www.rosssportinggoods.com/612600.html

These work well as I have one.

OPTION 3. Master the "Ninja load".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8475ocNvzw

Except you can cheat.

Use a Practice Glock barrel (can't fire the gun that way) made by Blade-tec

http://www.blade-tech.com/Training-Barrel-pr-1018.html

AND

Get a Glock recoil spring and take several coils off the spring (thus making it very easy to do a 'Ninja load'.)

Just make sure when you take the recoil spring out you take the practice barrel out to (and the other way around, DON'T leave that light recoil spring in that gun!!!! To shoot real loads with it will be very bad news, like a Kaboom.)

Deaf

larry_minn
01-10-2010, 20:42
It really depends. As suggested find if they have any classes/private instruction. I have had fair luck with going to range when place is empty. Fire a few mags (within rules) and when reloading talk to RO and ask if you can "push" the time limits. Often they see you are keeping on paper they will let you speed up. Don't get crazy and keep control.
I have also been allowed to draw/fire from holster with two targets/reload/etc if I work up to it. If RO says "we got some more folks here/slow down" DO IT.

Marky Mark
01-12-2010, 20:28
In 2004, Tatsuya Sakai won the Steel Challenge having done nearly all his practice with an Airsoft pistol in his native Japan, where real handguns are for all intents and purposes are illegal. I have Executive Protection colleagues who live in the UK, where private ownership of a pistol is impossible, but they still maintain proficiency. Where there's a will, there's a way.

v65magnafan
01-16-2010, 16:53
+1 for Marky Mark's suggestion. Get a replica Glock CO2 pistol. Just Goggle for one. They're available

Practice in your basement with a range-type target. You can practice rapid fire, and you are actually firing a projectile at a target.

The only problem is that the recoil will be non-existant.

jeepinrrt
01-16-2010, 20:02
I picked up a KJ Works glock 27 replica airsoft pistol off of Craigs List last week to solve your exact problem. I wanted to practice my draw, and target acquisition. I had been doing the dry fire thing but it gets real old always racking the slide to get a real trigger feel. I picked it up for $40.

Marine8541
01-18-2010, 01:04
1ST get a quality .22 LR semi pistol, 2ND get a new range or find a place in the woods.

swotivated
01-18-2010, 02:46
gollbladder13,
OPTION 3. Master the "Ninja load".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8475ocNvzw

:rofl: LMAO. Ninja load! I love it.