Cabelaís and $255 Later [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cabelaís and $255 Later

robin303
12-31-2009, 15:03
Went and got the Lee single stage press and everything ALMOST to start reloading. Got it set up and started to resize and decap 1000 spent brass. Loads of fun but now Iím at a stand still due to no Primers.:steamed: What a drag. Then to top it off the salesman which I thought was #1 talked me into getting that Winchester AutoComp powder in which I canít find any data on.:dunno: I can always get different powder but what away to start. Ohh well Iím learning. :whistling:

Colorado4Wheel
12-31-2009, 15:10
Went and got the Lee single stage press and everything ALMOST to start reloading. Got it set up and started to resize and decap 1000 spent brass. Loads of fun but now Iím at a stand still due to no Primers.:steamed: What a drag. Then to top it off the salesman which I thought was #1 talked me into getting that Winchester AutoComp powder in which I canít find any data on.:dunno: I can always get different powder but what away to start. Ohh well Iím learning. :whistling:

What the heck you doing with AutoComp? Can you take it back?

Colorado4Wheel
12-31-2009, 15:15
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

That link has a lot of data. It doesn't look that bad really but it's a powder meant for a ported gun. It looks a little like Power Pistol I use for full power loads.

IndyGunFreak
12-31-2009, 15:37

You don't say what caliber your loading, but Wideners has had Wolf primers in stock for a while. It seems just recently they ran out of small pistol., but still have large pistol and rifle sizes.

You might try checking Natchezss also.

IGF

robin303
12-31-2009, 15:45

They said this is what they are using from 9mm to 45ACP in competitions and it was really all they had.

robin303
12-31-2009, 15:48
You don't say what caliber your loading, but Wideners has had Wolf primers in stock for a while. It seems just recently they ran out of small pistol., but still have large pistol and rifle sizes.

You might try checking Natchezss also.

IGF

I shoot the 9mm. The Cabela's salesman took down my number and told me he will call me when they get the primers. Cold day in hell right. :whistling:

Colorado4Wheel
12-31-2009, 15:53
They said this is what they are using from 9mm to 45ACP in competitions and it was really all they had.

Exactly, with a $3K ported race gun. Not a production G19.

GioaJack
12-31-2009, 16:10
You got out of Cabelas for less than $300? I'm gonna start shopping with you... I've gotten soaked for more than that in a donut shop. I'm starting to think I have no willpower what-so-ever. :faint:

Jack

IndyGunFreak
12-31-2009, 16:45
I shoot the 9mm. The Cabela's salesman took down my number and told me he will call me when they get the primers. Cold day in hell right. :whistling:

You can find them at some of the online retailers. Wideners has PMC Small Pistol(Non Toxic) in stock... I've never used them, but I'm sure someone here has.

Natchezss has Federal Small Pistol Magnum in stock...

IGF

robin303
12-31-2009, 16:55
You can find them at some of the online retailers. Wideners has PMC Small Pistol(Non Toxic) in stock... I've never used them, but I'm sure someone here has.

Natchezss has Federal Small Pistol Magnum in stock...

IGF

Thanks, I guess I'll go shopping from the chair. :supergrin:

robin303
12-31-2009, 16:56
You got out of Cabelas for less than $300? I'm gonna start shopping with you... I've gotten soaked for more than that in a donut shop. I'm starting to think I have no willpower what-so-ever. :faint:

Jack

Gee Jack, Did you buy the store out. :shocked:

Colorado4Wheel
12-31-2009, 17:04
Thanks, I guess I'll go shopping from the chair. :supergrin:

Buy 10K to make it worth the trouble. Get some Powder at the same time. 4lbs W231 or something.

robin303
12-31-2009, 17:11
Thanks Steve, I need to stick to the powder thats in my Lyman book for sure.

Colorado4Wheel
12-31-2009, 17:16
Thanks Steve, I need to stick to the powder thats in my Lyman book for sure.

4th one down in the 115Gr sectin. 231 is so common you can't miss really.

Ranger54
12-31-2009, 17:52
Robin, I am in Austin also, we have talked a bit a while ago? Anyway, just an FYI, was in both Cabela's and McBrides in the past couple days and no pistol primers. :(. However, there is a gun show in San Antonio this weekend, I plan to meet friends for breakfast Saturday morning. There may be primers there, but price will possibly be double what the normal going price is when you can find them.

GioaJack
12-31-2009, 18:12
Robin:

You may already know this, W231 and HP38 are the same powder, totally interchangeable. If you can't find the 231 don't hesitate to get HP38... I'm not really sur about price comparisons but I wouldn't imagine there's that much difference.

My gun shop was out of 231 last week so I just picked up 3 pounds of HP38. Didn't have 4 pound kegs. Happy New Year.

Jack

robin303
12-31-2009, 18:41
Robin:

You may already know this, W231 and HP38 are the same powder, totally interchangeable. If you can't find the 231 don't hesitate to get HP38... I'm not really sur about price comparisons but I wouldn't imagine there's that much difference.

My gun shop was out of 231 last week so I just picked up 3 pounds of HP38. Didn't have 4 pound kegs. Happy New Year.

Jack

That is good to know. I'm making a spreadsheet on all of this so one of these years I'll get it all together.:rofl:

robin303
12-31-2009, 18:47
Robin, I am in Austin also, we have talked a bit a while ago? Anyway, just an FYI, was in both Cabela's and McBrides in the past couple days and no pistol primers. :(. However, there is a gun show in San Antonio this weekend, I plan to meet friends for breakfast Saturday morning. There may be primers there, but price will possibly be double what the normal going price is when you can find them.

Why don't I give you my phone number and call me what they have and I could meet you. I'm over here at William Cannon or Stassney and I-35.

Ranger54
12-31-2009, 23:13
Sounds good, IM me your phone number and if I see anything I will call you, I should be at the show between 9 and 12. I am at Slaughter and Manchaca.

PatinAz
01-01-2010, 07:53
If I was close, I'd bum ya a few hundred primers, just to get you started. But keep checking the suppliers listed in the sticky above. It's never taken my more than 2 weeks to find what I'm looking for, component wise.

:beer:

dudel
01-01-2010, 09:25

Nothing wrong with Autocomp. OP doesn't mention what he's loading, but it works fine in 9mm, 45acp and others. IIRC it duplicates the powder used in Winchester factory pistol ammo. I know people who love it. Works well in ported/compensated guns; but it's not exclusively for that purpose. Since it works well in ported guns, my recollection is that it's also a very clean burning powder.

Handloader magazine did a profile on it a few months ago. They liked it as well.

How well it works for the OP depends will, of course, depend on what he's loading.

robin303
01-01-2010, 13:00
Nothing wrong with Autocomp. OP doesn't mention what he's loading, but it works fine in 9mm, 45acp and others. IIRC it duplicates the powder used in Winchester factory pistol ammo. I know people who love it. Works well in ported/compensated guns; but it's not exclusively for that purpose. Since it works well in ported guns, my recollection is that it's also a very clean burning powder.

Handloader magazine did a profile on it a few months ago. They liked it as well.

How well it works for the OP depends will, of course, depend on what he's loading.

I'm loading 9mm 115 gr FMJ. The problem is that website everybody is directing me to does not give the recipe for the 115. It does tell on the
lead and the Hollow point and that is it. :dunno:

IndyGunFreak
01-01-2010, 13:35
Buy 10K to make it worth the trouble. Get some Powder at the same time. 4lbs W231 or something.

Don't you get tagged w/ two Hazmats if you order powder and primers? I've never done it, but I thought I read that somewhere.

IGF

dudel
01-01-2010, 17:58
I'm loading 9mm 115 gr FMJ. The problem is that website everybody is directing me to does not give the recipe for the 115. It does tell on the

Check here: http://www.brkdnc.com/testing.html

Back the load down so you start at 5.0 gr and work your way up watching for pressure signs. I'd load about 5 at at time till you get the load you want.

Or http://www.reloadersnest.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12811

I would also shoot Hodgdon an email and ask them for suggestions. At the bookstore the other day, I saw that Hodgdon has published a new glossy magazine (check magazine section) on their powders and loads. I glanced through it, and seem to recall several stories on AutoComp.

The only downside I can see to AutoComp, is that while it's an older powder within the industry; there's not much data available to the public.

A quick call to Hodgdon might be your quickest and safest route.

robin303
01-01-2010, 22:12
Thanks dudel. :thumbsup:

Colorado4Wheel
01-02-2010, 08:59

This is all from that link.

115 GR. LRN Winchester AutoComp .356" 1.100" 4.4 1002 24,800 PSI 5.1 1145 31,500 PSI

115 GR. SPR GDHP Winchester AutoComp .355" 1.125" 5.1 1078 28,200 PSI 5.6 1161 32,500 PSI

125 GR. SIE FMJ Winchester AutoComp .355" 1.090" 4.7 1055 28,900 PSI 5.2 1120 33,300 PSI

First is lead, second is a 115 gr Hollow Point, third is a 125 gr FMJ. You can always use a heavier bullets load with a lighter bullet. Take a look at these three recipes and it's easy to see that 5.1 gr is a safe starting point. Especially if you load it at 1.130 like I recommended in the past.