Bottleneck crimp die for pistols [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bottleneck crimp die for pistols

Snapper2
01-01-2010, 17:46
I'm loading for the 400 cor bon. I've shot 100rds of my handloads so for and accuracy has not been so great. I've gone back to look at whats happening in my loading steps. Information calls for a tight crimp to prevent setback and a good flare to prevent shoulder from collasping while seating bullet. It seems I've been over doing both and destorting the bullets. Lee calls for 1/2 turn + after crimp die touches shellholder for minimum crimp. I've been going more like 3/4 turn and pulled bullets to find way too much damage done to the bullet while roll crimping. I've also been flaring too much which instead of helping seat the bullet, actually gives the neck a V shape and crushes the hollowpoint while seating.:steamed: Just loaded 50 more and everthing went smoothly. Maybe they'll shoot straighter.

Hoser
01-01-2010, 22:59
Just flare the neck enough to keep the bullet from tipping out.

Are you seating and crimping in separate steps?

Are you using lead bullets or jacketed? Jacketed sometimes dont like roll crimps. If your using lead, roll crimp into the crimp grove. If its in the wrong place, taper crimp it.

Snapper2
01-02-2010, 11:46
Just flare the neck enough to keep the bullet from tipping out.

Are you seating and crimping in separate steps?

Are you using lead bullets or jacketed? Jacketed sometimes dont like roll crimps. If your using lead, roll crimp into the crimp grove. If its in the wrong place, taper crimp it.

Yes I am seating and crimping separately.
I'm using jacketed and plated.(155gr. gold dots, nosler,xtp). Lead would probably seat easier. I'll might try some. But I believe some of my problems with accuracy has been worrying about bullet set back and overcrimping.If I use only the 3 die set I dont get enough crimp. But since I started using lee's bottleneck factory crimp die my problem is over crimping. If set for minimum crimp(1/2 turn), bullets pulled still have a ring from crimping and take aleast 3 hits from the bullet puller before they come loose. I think I'll stick with this adjustment for now. As for as the flare goes I think your right. I can get by with a slight flare(if I lube the bullets). Lee says 1 full round off the shellholder for the expander die. Its a steel die and works better lubed.

Hoser
01-02-2010, 11:49
Plated bullets are not very accurate when compared to a good jacketed bullet. Try some 180 gn Sierras of Hornadys.

I would avoid lead.