Think I made a mistake with my EOTech Order [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Think I made a mistake with my EOTech Order

runcible68
01-01-2010, 22:31
Stupid me. I thought the XPS sight offered all three reticle patterns on the same unit. Duh. I ordered the XPS2-2 which means I get a 65 MOA circle with TWO 1 MOA dots.

Before I return it, what's the benefit of having two 1 MOA dots? Does it help with longer range shooting? Arrrrrgh. Here's a pic of the reticles. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2735/4236200186_5133e2b75c_o.jpg

The reticle I ordered is the the last one. Thanks in advance.

NeverMore1701
01-01-2010, 22:49
Ranging. Big circle is 65MOA, so distance from dot to dot would be about 15-16MOA.

runcible68
01-01-2010, 22:53
Ranging. Big circle is 65MOA, so distance from dot to dot would be about 15-16MOA.

So what would the lower dot be good for? Shooting at a target further away? Say the targets 200 yards away. Do I put the lower dot on the target?

NeverMore1701
01-01-2010, 23:09
Well if my sleep deprived brain is working right, at 200 yards the lower dot would be some 30ish inches below the upper one.... I could very well be wrong though, I got 3 hours of sleep last night, pulled a 12.5 hour shift at work, and then went paintballing for a few hours after that....

0reo
01-02-2010, 01:17
Well, yes, at *some* distance that lower dot could be used. What distance that would be will depend on your gun and the ammo you're using, so you'll have to play with it a bit to see exactly.

More then that though, you could use the distance between the two dots as a range measuring tool somewhat like a mil-dot reticule. Using the above poster's head math of 30" @ 200yds, figure, if a man's thigh fits between the two dots, he's 100yds away. If his whole leg fits, he's 200yds away, maybe a bit more if he's particularly tall. I'm not military so I don't know how useful that would be, but that's the first thing that comes to mind.

bdh_1
01-02-2010, 08:48
The 2 dot reticle is supposedly calibrated to the 5.56 round, assumption would be 14" barrel length, another assumption being M855, for 300m for the top dot and 500m for the lower. The manual should go into detail on it.

Three-Five-Seven
01-02-2010, 09:47
Most sight their ARs for 200 yards. So, top dot is 200 yard zero. With 200 yard zero on top dot, bottom dot is GTG at 500.

If this reticle had been available when I got mine, I would have preferred it.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the choice, and it will make no difference when action shooting.

bdh_1
01-02-2010, 10:12
That makes a little more sense to me as compared to: http://www.valhallaarmory.com/EOTech_XPS_2_p/eoxps2.htm

It also falls more in line with: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1794

MARSH1
01-02-2010, 10:53
That makes a little more sense to me as compared to: http://www.valhallaarmory.com/EOTech_XPS_2_p/eoxps2.htm

It also falls more in line with: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1794

The info in the links make sense because it is going to depend on where you zero it. I zero at 50 yards and that makes it pretty close again at 300 yards because the bullet is still going up at 50 yards. What distance are you going to be using it at most of the time. For close quarter quick target acquisition you might be happier with the single dot version but with practice your eye will go to the upper dot.

runcible68
01-02-2010, 17:28
Thanks for the help guys! Makes more sense to me now. I want an EOTech for CQB purposes, but since I'm not a cop or seeing combat anytime soon I probably will never, God willing, have to use it for such. So it''ll be a range toy and I can see how the 2 dots will help me out in that regard. So I'll see how it looks when I get it and decide. I'll probably stick with the version I ordered.

Three-Five-Seven
01-02-2010, 21:53
Another way to think about it is that the two dots are about 15 MOA apart. At 25 yards -- which is a LONG distance in "close quarter combat" the difference in the two aiming points would be about 3 1/2 inches -- insignificant on thorax shots and unimportant on head shots.

At seven yards -- the traditional "cqb" distance -- the difference between the two dots is about an inch.

I don't think you'll mind the sight at all. As I said, I would have preferred it but couldn't get it when I got my xps.

BTW, I'm very pleased with the sight.

Remington700VS
01-02-2010, 22:07
I think you'll be very happy with your "accident".

NeverMore1701
01-02-2010, 22:11
What I can't believe is the -1 option. Might as well get an Aimpoint for the better battery life at that point.

lawman800
01-04-2010, 03:52
Use the second dot to range as well as a bulletdrop compensator. For example, if you know the scale of the distance between the 2 sights, and you have an average sized guy who's 1.8metres and he appears to be within the distance, you then know the guy is 100 metres, 200 metres, 300 metres, depending on his apparent size through the reticles.

runcible68
01-06-2010, 10:25
My EOTech arrived today and I'm very pleased with it so far. The two dot sight doesn't seem to be a problem. At CQB ranges it's a non-issue and when I was dry firing last night I was able to set the lower dot cleanly on a mailbox 400 yards away. (Just glad the neighbors couldn't see me in my "blind" inside my bedroom.) When I get some free time I'll go to the range and zero it in. The manual says the sight's already adjusted for a rifle with a stable Picatinny rail so hopefully it'll need little adjustment on my part!

Now all I need its a Troy BUIS, a quad rail, light and an ACE skeleton stock and I'll be all tacticool!

runcible68
01-08-2010, 21:15
Finally got to the range today to zero in my EOTech XPS sight. Well right out of the box it shot two feet low and a foot to the right. But after tinkering with it for twenty rounds I was putting one bullet on top of another into a one inch bullseye at 25 yards. Not bad. At seven yards if I put the bottom of the "donut of death" on target that's were the bullet went. Very happy with the product and the two MOA dot sights didn't faze me. Just lowering the brightness made it easy to put the reticle on target. Point of aim, point of impact.

Question, if the sight's zeroed for 25 yards what's the deal with longer ranges. Is is good at 200 yards? I've no idea.

But when I was at the range it was like being that kid in kindergarten who got the G.I. Joe with the kung-fu grip. (Dating myself.) Everyone came over to look at my new toy and and one guy was so enamored of it I let him pop off a few rounds. I'm very satisfied with this product thus far.

lawman800
01-08-2010, 21:21
If you zero in at 50 yards, the ballistics of the 5.56mm is that it generally will also be POI at 250 yards. At about 100-150 yards, you will be within a 6" circle. That is, of course, gross generalities. Not sure how it translates to 25 yards but if you use commercial ammo like Sierra, they have ballistics charts online.