SUREFIRE / which one? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SUREFIRE / which one?

R0CKETMAN
01-02-2010, 05:43
I'm looking for a picatiny mounted CQB light for an AR. Plan to mount pressure switch to foregrip.

Looking at this one but note sure if it will mount to picatiny or if it is the right light for the application.
http://www.surefire.com/660-Classic

Open to other suggestions as well, but can pick this one up at a reduced price.

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts.
RM

AK_Stick
01-02-2010, 06:41
For that price, you might as well get a X300. Its cheaper, just as bright, and you can run it on either your rifle or your pistol without changing anything.

bdh_1
01-02-2010, 07:34
That light mounts to the barrel. Like AK said, X300 would be a better choice IMHO. Or you could buy any recoil protected light, the appropriate tape switch tailcap, and a mount such as a Larue or VTAC, and mount it to the rail. A LED based unit would be a better choice than an incandescent unit IMHO. Better battery life and less prone to bulb failure.

lawman800
01-03-2010, 03:30
M3X LED or TLR-1, both can have the backplate changed out to pressure switches taped to your foregrip or just leave as is and activate with your off-hand. That's how I do it.

Goldendog Redux
01-03-2010, 03:52
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/6P-LED_small.JPG

I use this setup since I already had a 6PLED laying around. The larue mount ain't cheap but its solid. I have it mounted on the top rail which puts the light on the left side along side the front sight. No tape switch to get buggered up. Not heavy.

I prefer it to all the other setups I have tried

TNZ71
01-04-2010, 07:38
Dedicated but GTG

crazypilot
01-04-2010, 08:04
Stick with LED. I'd suggest the X300 or the M600C.

ronin.45
01-04-2010, 08:16
I have switched out all my lights to LED units. The manufacturers are getting really good output from LED's nowadays. You also get the added benefits of complete shock resistance and longer run time. I prefer an on/off switch over pressure tape, but that is a personal choice. Put a TLR-1 or surefire X300 and you would be all set. Or upgrade to a TLR-2/X400 and have a laser too.

lawman800
01-04-2010, 08:21
I have switched out all my lights to LED units. The manufacturers are getting really good output from LED's nowadays. You also get the added benefits of complete shock resistance and longer run time. I prefer an on/off switch over pressure tape, but that is a personal choice. Put a TLR-1 or surefire X300 and you would be all set. Or upgrade to a TLR-2/X400 and have a laser too.

That's the gradual plan to phase out by attrition the halogen units to the LEDs as time goes on but I got quite a few halogen units which are still very serviceable and put out a good amount of light. My ultra stinger with 75,000 candlepower is no slouch and even my little Night Fighter-2 puts out very clean white light for a 2 CR-123 unit... but they do have a NF-2 LED now though.:crying:

I also like the on/off switch over the pressure tape, and I have no problems using my old M3 or M6 on my long guns... which I do.

TrooperBrian
01-04-2010, 09:42
I'll be buying an M600C Scout Light in the coming months, it comes with a tape switch, and they even have a kit with all the accessories you could ever want.