Ruger Alaskan? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Alaskan?

THE PUNISHER
01-02-2010, 12:28
Anybody ever took one fullsize and made a alaskan out of it? I see alot of the reg. size ones out there for sell so...I guess what I`m saying is I`ve been thinking of buying a 480 and make it a alaskan, what you think? Can it be done...or has it already been done.

mikeashurst
01-22-2010, 16:58
Anybody ever took one fullsize and made a alaskan out of it? I see alot of the reg. size ones out there for sell so...I guess what I`m saying is I`ve been thinking of buying a 480 and make it a alaskan, what you think? Can it be done...or has it already been done.

You will void the warranty!

Eyescream
01-22-2010, 22:45

If you're worried about voiding the warranty by doing it yourself like the guy above me mentioned, Why don't you see if the factory will put a short .480 barrel on it for you? They used to make Alaskans in .480 Ruger, so there's a precedent for it.

DJ Niner
01-23-2010, 02:41
Over in the Wheelhouse Forum, cphilip and I were kicking around my idea to chop a standard Redhawk into a snubbie, and he posted this link to a guy's DIY .480 SRH chop job:

http://www.spokanister.net/Guns_Bobbed_SRH.html

I got the fever bad, now. I'm thinking a 2.75" barrel is juuuust about right...

kirgi08
01-23-2010, 03:31
Youse nuts my friend.'08. :wow: :faint:

Eyescream
01-23-2010, 17:09
Over in the Wheelhouse Forum, cphilip and I were kicking around my idea to chop a standard Redhawk into a snubbie, and he posted this link to a guy's DIY .480 SRH chop job:

That's AWESOME. :rock:

coq
01-23-2010, 20:57
Wow. That looks great.

bac1023
01-28-2010, 20:06
You will void the warranty!

Very true. :)

Ak.Hiker
02-01-2010, 00:36
Back before they came out with the Alaskan I had my 7.5 inch 454 Super Redhawk cut back to 5.5 inch to make it easier to pack. For a hip gun going to just short of 6 inches gives the gun a nice balance and makes it easier to pack on the hip. I would not go shorter than 4 inches myself for a 454 or 480.

Glock-it-to-me
02-01-2010, 01:06
Ruger will change barrel lengths. Call and ask.

CanyonMan
02-23-2010, 21:18

Fever can be a bitter sweet experience my friend ! ;)

Please don't chop. Unless A. You cannot afford a shorter barrel from Ruger. B. You "crown the muzzle".

I may be wrong, but in the pics in your link It did not 'appear' anyway, that the muzzle was crowned on this guys Ruger. If not. Accuracy is going to suffer.

You will like the shorter barrel if you like nitro. I do. It is good for exterely big bruin country, only "second' to a big bore rifle of course, but I like 'em at 3" minimum (personal preference).

Good luck DJ.

If ya get crazy and do this let's see that bad boy. ;)

CanyonMan

Texas357
02-23-2010, 23:19
Target Gray>>Stainless.

hill billy
04-19-2010, 08:15
I dug this up from the dead. Any one have any idea what Ruger charges to change barrels?