Talk me into or out of a CCO [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Talk me into or out of a CCO

Substance-P
01-02-2010, 12:06
I made the mistake of stopping by my favorite gunshop the other day and they have a Wilson CQB Compact in stock that reignited by interest in picking up a CCO.

I have several full size and several commander size 1911s but nothing smaller than a commander. I had a Colt Defender briefly but was not a huge fan of an Officer's model.

One of my commanders is a lightweight S&W (Gunsite edition) and I don't know if an all steel CCO would offer much of an improvement over that setup for concealed carry.

So, I was wondering what everyone's opinions were on the CCO configuration in a 1911 in general and it's relative merit over a lightweight commander in particular.

Thanks

faawrenchbndr
01-02-2010, 13:46
A Dan Wesson CCO is on my short list,...........

Rimcrew
01-02-2010, 14:10
Well, I own three 2009 DW CCO's. Didn't intend for that to happen, but the first one was just sooo nice and when two more opportunities presented themselves I just couldn't resist.

I think you would be very happy with one. Not as light as my Ultra CDP, but not heavy at all. So far, the reliability and accuracy have been great.

ajgranda
01-02-2010, 14:19
I think the OP is not necessarily referring to Dan Wesson, but Officer frames in general. Yes, I could see a Wilson CQB Compact reigniting your interest, but remember most Officer models are not Wilsons. You will find a slight advantage with an officers 1911 for CCW over a commander. With the right holster and belt, steel vs aluminum shouldnt make too much difference.

Substance-P
01-02-2010, 14:48
I think the OP is not necessarily referring to Dan Wesson, but Officer frames in general. Yes, I could see a Wilson CQB Compact reigniting your interest, but remember most Officer models are not Wilsons. You will find a slight advantage with an officers 1911 for CCW over a commander. With the right holster and belt, steel vs aluminum shouldnt make too much difference.

You're right, I was interested in people's opinions/experiences on/with the Commander slide/Officer frame setup in general (whether that be a Colt, DW, LB, or Wilson).

I am strongly considering that particular CQB compact.

Joe Pickett
01-02-2010, 15:11
Best of both worlds, Commander length slide/barrel for accuracy/reliability/sight radius, and Officer length frame for concealment.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa311/gunslinger902/Colt%20Gunsite%20CCO/HarrisonCCO-right.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa311/gunslinger902/Colt%20Gunsite%20CCO/HarrisonCCO-left.jpg

Substance-P
01-02-2010, 15:19
Best of both worlds, Commander length slide/barrel for accuracy/reliability/sight radius, and Officer length frame for concealment.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa311/gunslinger902/Colt%20Gunsite%20CCO/HarrisonCCO-right.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa311/gunslinger902/Colt%20Gunsite%20CCO/HarrisonCCO-left.jpg

Thanks for the pics of the Colt Gunsite CCO (that is one of the models that has been on my list for a long time).

HAIL CAESAR
01-02-2010, 20:01
""Best of both worlds, Commander length slide/barrel for accuracy/reliability/sight radius, and Officer length frame for concealment.""

I could not have said it better myself. It is what I have carried for years. For me it is the best option.

Pic of the latest one I have and every day carry..
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo349/hailcaesar_photos/CCOCTLEFT.jpg
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo349/hailcaesar_photos/_JBP1529.jpg

Officer's Match
01-02-2010, 20:12
I too love the CCO format having owned a few. Nowadays I'm tote'n a bobtailed commander, but I could see picking up another Wilson 4" over Officer's setup. Especially w' the bull barrel configuration to aide in followup shots.

GVFlyer
01-02-2010, 20:53
What are your reasons for preferring the bushing-less barrel on the Wilson Combat CQB Compacts?

Officer's Match
01-02-2010, 21:14
What are your reasons for preferring the bushing-less barrel on the Wilson Combat CQB Compacts?

A bit more muzzle weight to help tame flip. Mine was very easy to handle.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e131/sly250r/Wilson%20Combat/IMG_0065.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e131/sly250r/Wilson%20Combat/IMG_0018.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e131/sly250r/Wilson%20Combat/IMG_0029.jpg

HAIL CAESAR
01-02-2010, 21:22
I never thought the 4.25 bushing barrel flipped bad.....

Officer's Match
01-02-2010, 22:02
I never thought the 4.25 bushing barrel flipped bad.....

Me neither. Just on a short frame/light weight 45 a little extra muzzle weight doesn't hurt either. That said, I carry a 4.25 Commander these days.

M1A Shooter
01-02-2010, 22:10
id really like a CCO to add to the mix.

Gary1911A1
01-03-2010, 06:05
I guess I'm getting old, but the Commander 4 1/4" just looks "right" to me. I just ordered a CCO and will carry mine too.

MacG22
01-03-2010, 17:07
Where is the best place to find a CCO these days?

HAIL CAESAR
01-03-2010, 17:21
Where is the best place to find a CCO these days?

Here is a CCO list that I wrote at one time. It is my personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt about my views on the quality.

The size of 1911 you are describing is loosely called a CCO. It is a officer frame and a 4.25 commander slide. Some people people (including myself) make a distinction of a TRUE CCO and LIKE A CCO. A true CCO will have a 4.25 barrel and a barrel bushing. Most "Like" a CCO will have a 4ish inch barrel and the barrel will be bushingless. Colt is the company that owns the name "CCO", much like "Commander".

To answer your question of who makes a 1911 of similar size the list is as follows;

STI Guardian- Like a CCO- 4ish bull barrel- good quality gun- $950ish.
Steel frame.

Colt CCO and Colt Gunsite CCO- True CCO sized-4.25 barrel- good quality gun-Discontinued model- somewhat of a collectors item $950++++, if you can find one.

Old Dan Wesson CCO- True CCO (Except external extractor)- Discontinued Model- good quality- good luck finding one.

New Dan Wesson CCO. True CCO with internal extractor. $1,250+, hard to get only 200 made this year. Alloy frame with 4.25 inch bushing barrel. I have it now. It is excellent quality!

Kimber- Like a CCO, OK quality gun, various models - $750 and up depending on model. Lots of reports of problems, but lots of reports of satisfaction. Be prepares to buy a new recoil spring even on a new gun. Kimber makes a steel frame and a alloy frame LW.

Sig 1911 Compact- True CCO (except external extractor) good quality gun- earlier guns have had problems, newer guns have seemed to have no problems- $850+-Sig makes a steel frame and a alloy frame LW.

Springfield Armory COMPACT- Older discontinued model, do not be confused with current Ultra or Micro size guns they are not the same- if you can find one they run $550+. good quality. Some were 4.25 with bushing and some were Bull 4 inchers. Steel frames and LW Alloy frames.

Smith & Wesson ES. Seems to be good quality (very new) True CCO expect the external extractor. 4.25 bushing barrel. Stainless slide and Scandium frame. $860.00ish, but people are trying to get rich selling them for more than that.

Fusion Arms True CCO. (Edited for now)

Les Baer Stinger- True CCO, excellent quality 1911- $1,500+ depending on options. Steel frame. 5 inch frame rails. May or may not slingshot. Older discontinued had alloy frame.

Wilson Combat Compact- Like a CCO, 4 inch bull barrel. Excellent quality 1911 alloy or steel frame.- $2200+ depending on model.

Nighthawk Custom_ True CCO- excellent quality 1911- $2500+ depending on options. They will build a bushing or a bull barrel.

Springfield Armory Custom Shop -True CCO Excellent quality. Takes about 6 months to build. They will build it your way. They will build a bushing or a bull barrel. Alloy or steel frame. $1,600+++

There are full custom shops that will make you a CCO, be prepared to sell at least one of your children on the black market.

If they are more I've forgotten, please anyone help me out.

My opinion time; The CCO is the perfect CCW size 1911 ever made. Reliability of a Commander, frame size of a Officer for less printing. Even less printing if you have the frame MSH rounded.

MacG22
01-03-2010, 21:03
Here is a CCO list that I wrote at one time. It is my personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt about my views on the quality.

The size of 1911 you are describing is loosely called a CCO. It is a officer frame and a 4.25 commander slide. Some people people (including myself) make a distinction of a TRUE CCO and LIKE A CCO. A true CCO will have a 4.25 barrel and a barrel bushing. Most "Like" a CCO will have a 4ish inch barrel and the barrel will be bushingless. Colt is the company that owns the name "CCO", much like "Commander".

To answer your question of who makes a 1911 of similar size the list is as follows;

STI Guardian- Like a CCO- 4ish bull barrel- good quality gun- $950ish.
Steel frame.

Colt CCO and Colt Gunsite CCO- True CCO sized-4.25 barrel- good quality gun-Discontinued model- somewhat of a collectors item $950++++, if you can find one.

Old Dan Wesson CCO- True CCO (Except external extractor)- Discontinued Model- good quality- good luck finding one.

New Dan Wesson CCO. True CCO with internal extractor. $1,250+, hard to get only 200 made this year. Alloy frame with 4.25 inch bushing barrel. I have it now. It is excellent quality!

Kimber- Like a CCO, OK quality gun, various models - $750 and up depending on model. Lots of reports of problems, but lots of reports of satisfaction. Be prepares to buy a new recoil spring even on a new gun. Kimber makes a steel frame and a alloy frame LW.

Sig 1911 Compact- True CCO (except external extractor) good quality gun- earlier guns have had problems, newer guns have seemed to have no problems- $850+-Sig makes a steel frame and a alloy frame LW.

Springfield Armory COMPACT- Older discontinued model, do not be confused with current Ultra or Micro size guns they are not the same- if you can find one they run $550+. good quality. Some were 4.25 with bushing and some were Bull 4 inchers. Steel frames and LW Alloy frames.

Smith & Wesson ES. Seems to be good quality (very new) True CCO expect the external extractor. 4.25 bushing barrel. Stainless slide and Scandium frame. $860.00ish, but people are trying to get rich selling them for more than that.

Fusion Arms True CCO. Terrible quality. 1,500 and up. They built guns the way you want them. Maybe you will get what you ordered, maybe not.. So price is up to the way you want it built, and they still may charge you more than the quote like they did me. Steel and Alloy are offered, plus anything else your mind and wallet want, just hope they do it and do it right. Mine is here 12/15/09. :steamed:.

Les Baer Stinger- True CCO, excellent quality 1911- $1,500+ depending on options. Steel frame. 5 inch frame rails. May or may not slingshot. Older discontinued had alloy frame.

Wilson Combat Compact- Like a CCO, 4 inch bull barrel. Excellent quality 1911 alloy or steel frame.- $2200+ depending on model.

Nighthawk Custom_ True CCO- excellent quality 1911- $2500+ depending on options. They will build a bushing or a bull barrel.

Springfield Armory Custom Shop -True CCO Excellent quality. Takes about 6 months to build. They will build it your way. They will build a bushing or a bull barrel. Alloy or steel frame. $1,600+++

There are full custom shops that will make you a CCO, be prepared to sell at least one of your children on the black market.

If they are more I've forgotten, please anyone help me out.

My opinion time; The CCO is the perfect CCW size 1911 ever made. Reliability of a Commander, frame size of a Officer for less printing. Even less printing if you have the frame MSH rounded.

Wow. Really helpful post. But now I feel kinda screwed. The DW CCO is the one I prefer on that list, after looking them all up... and it appears to be a ***** to find.

HAIL CAESAR
01-03-2010, 21:08
Wow. Really helpful post. But now I feel kinda screwed. The DW CCO is the one I prefer on that list, after looking them all up... and it appears to be a ***** to find.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=254966

You can watch here and these boys will find you one. I think there are a couple listed. Shhhhhhh...don't tell anybody.:wavey:

Seriously, if you want one. Work hard and get one quick.

Rimcrew
01-03-2010, 21:32
Call Dave Severns, of Severns Custom; he had one in stock last week, and Dave is a great guy to deal with.

Severns Custom 775-790-0681
www.severnscustom.com (http://www.severnscustom.com)
or: info@severnscustom.com (info@severnscustom.com) <!-- / sig --><!-- edit note -->

MacG22
01-03-2010, 23:49
Thanks for the heads up. I should be able to buy within the week. Trying to sell one before I buy another (you know, what with the wife and all). But I'll call these guys and try to get something lined up.

kirgi08
01-04-2010, 02:42
Nice thread folks,thanks.'08.

Rimcrew
01-04-2010, 20:40
I just confirmed that Dave Severns does have one final CCO left. Don't wait too long if you want it...

Cruiser702
01-05-2010, 12:25
Check the DW Stocking Locater (http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=254966) thread on the 1911 forum for real time availablity on many DW models.

Substance-P
01-06-2010, 05:57
I went back by the local gun shop yesterday to look at (and potentially buy) the CQB Compact again...turns out they got a used Kobray Carry in Gen III black in as well.

I looked at the two guns next to each other for about 20 minutes and left undecided....oh well.

Thanks again for the feedback on CCO style options out there

Officer's Match
01-06-2010, 07:43
I went back by the local gun shop yesterday to look at (and potentially buy) the CQB Compact again...turns out they got a used Kobray Carry in Gen III black in as well.

I looked at the two guns next to each other for about 20 minutes and left undecided....oh well.

Wow, that would be a tough choice. I personally find the Kobra Carry to be the most appealing Commander ever made, but also think that Wilson makes the best CCO config carry pistols. Having them side by side should be the best way to see what clings to your particular set of paws. Enjoy the process my friend. :wavey:

MD357
01-06-2010, 08:59

Tough choice, personally I'd go with the CQB BUT there is no losing in that situation. :supergrin:

ajgranda
01-07-2010, 08:02
Yep, that would be very tough choice. I would probably go with the Wilson depending on how much more it was than the EB.

Substance-P
01-07-2010, 08:46
The CQB Compact is listed at 1699 and the EB at 1859
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q147/substance-p/WilsonVSBrown.jpg

Officer's Match
01-07-2010, 11:12
Between those two, I'd say the best answer would be...

YES. :supergrin: :dunno: :faint:

kirgi08
01-07-2010, 22:54
:dunno:

Gary1911A1
01-08-2010, 04:23
Form the picture and the prices I'd get the Wilson as I don't think the difference in quality justifies the price difference and I bet Wilson will round the butt like they do on the Wilson Carry.