Carry 24/7 or just when needed? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carry 24/7 or just when needed?

rbnfl
01-02-2010, 13:05
I was just curious if most of us carry 24/7 or just part time (when going to bad parts of town, or late at night). I'm guessing some leave it in their vehicle. I'm new and have my permit, but I'm still getting into the habit.

G36Packer
01-02-2010, 13:49
How does one know when it is going to be needed. To me carrying when and where legal, i.e. 24/7, is when needed.

I don't knowingly go to the bad parts of town, etc.

eXistenZ
01-02-2010, 13:51
I don't cross my door pane unarmed, period.

If you are a warrior who is legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that the bad man will not come today. No one can be “on” 24/7 for a lifetime. Everyone needs down time. But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... “Baa.”

http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

BhamGlock
01-02-2010, 13:51
24/7 and 365 days a year! I am never unarmed, not even in the shower! :whistling:

dnuggett
01-02-2010, 13:54
OP- Define "when needed". Then really think about your response. It's a good exercise to go through as a license holder.

Short answer...... you do not know where you will or will not need it.

bassdeer
01-02-2010, 13:54
Allways, Better to have it and not need it then to not have it and need it.

Hugo R
01-02-2010, 14:25
How does one know when it is going to be needed. To me carrying when and where legal, i.e. 24/7, is when needed.

Exactly! How the heck would you or could you possibly have any idea of if and when you are going to need the most important tool you ever used? Like many here, I carry 24/7/365 99.9% of the time and avoid like crazy going anywhere without it.

Cause you never know about the if and when.

HR

Carrys
01-02-2010, 14:32
Exactly! How the heck would you or could you possibly have any idea of if and when you are going to need the most important tool you ever used? Like many here, I carry 24/7/365 99.9% of the time and avoid like crazy going anywhere without it.

HR

Yep, I also vote for the 24/7 concept.

Who knows "when it's needed" may come around?

If I did, I'd have a rifle at the ready.

hi480volts
01-02-2010, 14:37
Everywhere I go. I am giving up my company vehicle due to our policy of not allowing guns in them. I understand the policy and liability but I am not comfortable letting someone else decide about my personal safety. My vehicle, my choice.

Ticman
01-02-2010, 14:37
24 by 7. If I know a place where I will need to be armed I won't go there.

Bill Lumberg
01-02-2010, 14:57
You won't really know when it's needed until it's too late. The average ccw'er will live a full and natural life without ever needing a firearm to defend themself, so this isn't really a question of immediacy. Carry where and when you're legal and comfortable. Use supplemental locking devices when leaving your gun unattended in a vehicle. How much you carry is a personal preference.

Misty02
01-02-2010, 14:58
I honestly don’t have a clue when I’ll need it. There is a possibility I never will; however, since I have the ability to carry most of the time, why gamble? I have a bunch of stuff in my car, in my house and in my purse for “just in case”. I can manage carrying one more.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Before I started carrying a wise person told me that I should never give a thought as to when to carry, it should be something you do always. The only active thought about carrying was as to where not to, those would be places where it is illegal or prohibited. <o:p></o:p>
I’ve read something like this many times in the forum and I’m in complete agreement with that statement: “If I knew when and where I would need a gun, I would just make sure never to be there. For the other times I just carry in case it is needed.”<o:p></o:p>
If you’re starting now, make it a habit to carry with you always and eliminate the guess work as to when you think your risk without one is higher. Of course, don’t carry where it is not legal.<o:p></o:p>
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2009/11/29/2009-11-29_florida_police_issue_warrant_for_paul_michael_merhige_in_thanksgiving_shooting_t.html<o:p></o:p>
The people in the story on the link above gathered for a family Thanksgiving dinner in a relatively safe neighborhood. I doubt any of them thought they would need a firearm that day.<o:p></o:p>

Dalton Wayne
01-02-2010, 15:01
Only time I am not armed is when I'm asleep and then my gun is in my reach as I sleep. :cool:
Regards
DW

mikegun
01-02-2010, 15:18
Make it a habit, in that case u will have the gun if you need it or not....

racer88
01-02-2010, 15:19
24 by 7. If I know a place where I will need to be armed I won't go there.

Exactly!

southern_boy
01-02-2010, 15:23
i carry 24/7!....if i only carryed when "needed" i think id be beter off not going to that place. but what do i know about trying to stay out of trouble.

user
01-02-2010, 15:24
Do you have a fire extinguisher in your house all the time, or only when it's needed?

garebel
01-02-2010, 15:45
24/7 too!

Wherever legal.
Hopefully, that part will expand substantially with the coming legislative session here in Georgia.

Glock30 Guy
01-02-2010, 15:49
On my person, in the car, in the home, 24/7. You never know when you might need it. No different than grabbing my wallet, cell, and keys in the morning.

HWA GLOCKER
01-02-2010, 15:51
24/7 365 never leave home without it, hell I got my G17 on me right now.

SCmasterblaster
01-02-2010, 16:09
I do not want to have some lawyer in front of a judge/jury implying that I was guilty of murder because I thought way ahead of time to get my handgun from my bedroom in my distant house and shoot the deceased scumbag who had kidnapped my daughter in front of my unarmed person.

Laramie In MT
01-02-2010, 16:32
Do you wear a seatbelt 24/7...or only when you're doing 80 down an icy patch of country road at midnight?

24/7

David Armstrong
01-02-2010, 18:08
Many folks are somewhat selective of when they carry. While it is true that you never know when you will need it, the same can be said about lots of other things we selectively carry at various times. Someone who actually carries 24/7/365 and is not in a combat zone, folks that carry in the shower, folks that sleep cuddled up to the gun like it was a teddy bear, etc......well, no need to comment further, IMO. If you can't tell the difference between a relatively safe location and a relatively bad location you have a lot worse problem than if you should carry a gun or not, IMO.

DScottHewitt
01-02-2010, 18:15
I was just curious if most of us carry 24/7 or just part time (when going to bad parts of town, or late at night). I'm guessing some leave it in their vehicle. I'm new and have my permit, but I'm still getting into the habit.

If you are going to just carry "when needed", I hope your Spidey Sense is under warranty. THE DAY will not announce itself.....

DScottHewitt
01-02-2010, 18:19
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2009/11/29/2009-11-29_florida_police_issue_warrant_for_paul_michael_merhige_in_thanksgiving_shooting_t.html<o:p></o:p>
The people in the story on the link above gathered for a family Thanksgiving dinner in a relatively safe neighborhood. I doubt any of them thought they would need a firearm that day.<o:p></o:p>

I got "made" at Thanksgiving dinner at my Aunt's. My cousin just got his CHP and was carrying. Noticed I had extra bumps. Asked me what I was carrying and lifted his coat to show his Sigma.

DScottHewitt
01-02-2010, 18:23
24/7 too!

Wherever legal.
Hopefully, that part will expand substantially with the coming legislative session here in Georgia.

Same here is Virginia. Already some Bills waiting on the new session that affect the Second Amendment Right. And we hope we can get McDonnell to sign the law for concealed carry to be okay in places like Applebee's. I don't drink. But can't CCW in a place that serves alcohol.

USMCSergeant
01-02-2010, 18:24
I carry 24/7, I'm not so good at predicting the future.

DScottHewitt
01-02-2010, 18:25
Many folks are somewhat selective of when they carry. While it is true that you never know when you will need it, the same can be said about lots of other things we selectively carry at various times. Someone who actually carries 24/7/365 and is not in a combat zone, folks that carry in the shower, folks that sleep cuddled up to the gun like it was a teddy bear, etc......well, no need to comment further, IMO. If you can't tell the difference between a relatively safe location and a relatively bad location you have a lot worse problem than if you should carry a gun or not, IMO.

"Relatively" leaves a lot of room. Bad stuff can happen anywhere. The mall. The Wal*Mart. YOUR CHURCH.

packinaglock
01-02-2010, 18:26
24/7, 365:supergrin:

dnuggett
01-02-2010, 18:36

Agreed on the shower, etc.

I'm curious, how do you make the determination that a place you are about to go to is safe enough to not carry?

wrenrj1
01-02-2010, 18:39
When I legally can 100% of the time.

Hairy
01-02-2010, 18:45
I take mine off in the surf....

racer88
01-02-2010, 19:00

Why? Glocks don't mind the saltwater. :supergrin: I should design and patent a neoprene holster! That way you can pick off the sharks as you surf! :cool:

Diesel_Bomber
01-02-2010, 20:18
If I knew when/where it was going to be needed I'd make sure to be SOMEWHERE ELSE at that time.

Carry 24/7, with very very few exceptions. Ironically, the only exception I can remember has been to the sheriff's office to renew my CHL.

Glock21sf-miami
01-02-2010, 20:19
24/7!

TnGlocker12
01-02-2010, 20:25
When I legally can 100% of the time.

+1 Normally a revolver in my jean's pocket.

Hef
01-02-2010, 20:29
If you're not going to carry it all the time, why carry it at all? You're gambling with your life.

GlockontheRocks
01-02-2010, 20:33
The one morning I did need it, it was'nt one me. It's on or close by 24/7 now. You don't and can't predict the future. Learn from other's lessons and heed the advice.

dad1
01-02-2010, 20:40
Took mine off to shower once, I just felt sooo naked.
24/7

Misty02
01-02-2010, 20:45
I got "made" at Thanksgiving dinner at my Aunt's. My cousin just got his CHP and was carrying. Noticed I had extra bumps. Asked me what I was carrying and lifted his coat to show his Sigma.

A family bonding moment! :) I think it would be kind of cool if something like that happened in our family gatherings.

.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

VB14
01-02-2010, 20:46
What holster do you all use when you sleep? :tongueout:

fmfdocglock
01-02-2010, 21:02
I got my CCP about 8 or 9 months ago.

I am carrying much more. All weekend. Sometimes week nights.

I cant carry at work, or even have a firearm in my vehicle at work.

HogGlocker
01-02-2010, 22:37
Well, Uncle Sam does not allow me to carry while on duty...[no need for smart ass comments....thats how it is]....I do not go places known to be of issue and I am armed otherwise when in my home or off duty and outside my home.

This is as 24/7 as I can get.

John Galt
01-02-2010, 22:47

Uncle Mikes ankle holster. :supergrin:

DScottHewitt
01-02-2010, 22:53
A family bonding moment! :) I think it would be kind of cool if something like that happened in our family gatherings.

.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

It was kinda cool. We discussed it a lot. A mutual friend I met through Frankie Lee knowing him also carries. I'm gonna suggest we look into forming a local group, or see if one is already active around here.

DScottHewitt
01-02-2010, 22:55

Same one I carry with. Familiarity and all, you know.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/DScottHewitt/IMG_2236.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/DScottHewitt/IMG_2237.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/DScottHewitt/IMG_2238.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/DScottHewitt/IMG_2239.jpg

Hooks inside my FtLs just as easy as it hooks inside a pair of jeans.

DScottHewitt
01-02-2010, 22:57
Well, Uncle Sam does not allow me to carry while on duty...[no need for smart ass comments....thats how it is]....I do not go places known to be of issue and I am armed otherwise when in my home or off duty and outside my home.

This is as 24/7 as I can get.

No comments directed at you.

It's unfortunate that the lesson of Fort Hood was addressed backwards.....

ffemt65
01-03-2010, 06:33
Got my CCP about 6 months ago. Didn't carry much at first until I became "comfortable" with my G23 and put about 200 rounds through it. I have owned a gun for about 6 months and put out about 500 rounds. I'm now carrying 99.9% of the time. Not allowed to carry it at work or even have it in my vehicle at work. Besides that it's on me 24/7. Unfortunately my G23 is in the shop. Don't have a backup yet but that is going to be my next purchase. Looking at a G27.

Misty02
01-03-2010, 07:07
I got my CCP about 8 or 9 months ago.

I am carrying much more. All weekend. Sometimes week nights.

I cant carry at work, or even have a firearm in my vehicle at work.

Thatís different. There are places where I cannot carry as well. You have to weigh your risk versus your return. It doesnít make it any less of a gamble, but it is nonetheless necessary at times.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
They have a very strict no weapons policy where I work. I donít carry there. Itís a calculated gamble Iíve accepted. Check your state laws and carefully read your employee handbook. Our policy states that having a firearm in the parking lot provided for employees is strictly forbidden; however, they added wording where that would be different depending on local/state laws. That part of the employee manual is modified by FL law; this allows me to store my gun in the car safe. While I still cannot carry at work, it doesnít mean I have to make my trip or errands I may run after work unarmed.<o:p></o:p>

Blitzer
01-03-2010, 07:40
As close to 24/7 as possible. :supergrin:

Been in lots of pain since the weather went cold, carry a derringer in my pocket while around the house. :crying:

mad.gunsmith
01-03-2010, 07:53
24/7 and 365 days a year! I am never unarmed.

Geezer Glide
01-03-2010, 08:46
Pocket carry inside the house and IWB out of the house. Right beside me when I sleep.

David Armstrong
01-03-2010, 10:44
"Relatively" leaves a lot of room. Bad stuff can happen anywhere. The mall. The Wal*Mart. YOUR CHURCH.
Yes, bad stuff can happen anywhere. A tiger might just jump out of your closet and eat you. But I think you are relatively safe from that most places in the U.S.

JohnP82
01-03-2010, 10:47
I never leave home without it! The only time I take my handgun off is if I am going into a building that does not allow firearms.

David Armstrong
01-03-2010, 10:52
Agreed on the shower, etc.

I'm curious, how do you make the determination that a place you are about to go to is safe enough to not carry?
First, most places I go I feel are safe enough to not carry. I would and do try to avoid places where I think it is not safe to go unless I have a gun on me. But with that....
History certainly impacts it, as well as surroundings. For example, I really don't worry about being attacked by someone while I am at the local PD. Now, should the U.S. become more like some other countries, where that area becomes more of a target, I might change that feeling.
What other protections are available? I don't walk around with a gun on me while at home. Guns are available and getting through the perimeter is difficult and will take time. Sure, if someone wants to drive an 18-wheeler through the front window I'm toast, but again, that just isn't very likely.

Basiclly, for me, it involves a simple rational assessment of what the danger to me is, what controls are available, and how much difficulty there is in reducing potential problems.

racer88
01-03-2010, 11:24
Yes, bad stuff can happen anywhere. A tiger might just jump out of your closet and eat you. But I think you are relatively safe from that most places in the U.S.

Funny you should say that. Several months ago, I found out a neighbor (about 1/2 mile as the crow flies) has TIGERS! No kidding. I found out because the local news had a story about an ESCAPED TIGER. I live in a semi-rural area (1-acre lots, no HOA). I've been here six years, and I had no idea that tigers resided a very short distance from my house.

Go figure, eh!

dnuggett
01-03-2010, 12:10
First, most places I go I feel are safe enough to not carry. I would and do try to avoid places where I think it is not safe to go unless I have a gun on me. But with that....
History certainly impacts it, as well as surroundings. For example, I really don't worry about being attacked by someone while I am at the local PD. Now, should the U.S. become more like some other countries, where that area becomes more of a target, I might change that feeling.
What other protections are available? I don't walk around with a gun on me while at home. Guns are available and getting through the perimeter is difficult and will take time. Sure, if someone wants to drive an 18-wheeler through the front window I'm toast, but again, that just isn't very likely.

Basiclly, for me, it involves a simple rational assessment of what the danger to me is, what controls are available, and how much difficulty there is in reducing potential problems.

I see. I understand that thinking, really I do. My thoughts are while out in public I just can't see where places are all that secure. It's really sad, but if you listen at all to where crap is going down.... you can't put a rhyme or reason to it, so I don't try. It's an exercise in futility IMO.

I can name a billion examples of places where things "seemed" safe, and all hell broke lose. Happens too many times for me to feel I can make a logical determination.

That said, the local PD might still be one of those few places where I'd feel safe enough.

Jake Starr
01-03-2010, 12:14
just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... ďBaa.Ē

:wavey::wavey::wavey:

community
01-03-2010, 13:38
always, always, and then always.

TJK68
01-03-2010, 13:51
24/7---365 nuff said

Thorazine
01-03-2010, 13:53
Only when I need it.

Since I can predict the future. :supergrin:

Just not the winning lottery numbers. :steamed:

Bravesfansince70
01-03-2010, 15:10

I'd be willing to bet that most people at Fort Hood thought they were in a safe place...and the US Capital on July 24, 1998...and Trolly Square Mall...and I'll bet no one thought a full on war zone would break out in the middle of North Hollywood in 1997. The fact is that most people feel safe until something happens to change that. In general most people believe that bad things happen to other people in other places.

I don't criticize anyone for the decisions they make about when and where to carry a weapon. The vast majority of people will never be attacked in their homes or find themselves in the middle of an active shooter situation in what they thought was a safe place, but some people have been in those situations and most of them were not prepared for it. I don't want to be one of those people so I carry always.

Zexel
01-03-2010, 15:29
I carry every chance I get. Besides work (Which has a very strict policy about no weapons), banks, and the obvious no carry zones, I carry everywhere I go.

CBennett
01-03-2010, 15:31

just when "needed" as in when im planning to leave the house and go somewhere. I dont normally just carry around the house just to carry..sometimes if I know im going somewhere I will just throw on the CC piece when I get dressed and sometimes leave it on till just b4 bed or when I know im "in" for the night..but normally just if im going somewhere.

Two Guns
01-03-2010, 15:31
I don't carry when I am showering or sleeping.

CBennett
01-03-2010, 15:34
Do you have a fire extinguisher in your house all the time, or only when it's needed?

its in my house all the time but I dont CARRY it around with me all day...

John Galt
01-03-2010, 16:58
For example, I really don't worry about being attacked by someone while I am at the local PD...

That said, the local PD might still be one of those few places where I'd feel safe enough.

Would the reason you feel that you are safe there be that there are armed men about.

Personally my life doesn't involve hanging around police stations, but I am not really to concerned with my safety in most locations I frequent. However the odds of someone going on a spree in my vicinity are the same as the odds of them going on a spree anywhere else.

A .38 in your pocket doesn't take up much space. 24/7

DScottHewitt
01-03-2010, 17:24

What color is the sky in whatever part of America you live in where the predator problem is a freaking tiger?!?!?

Never have any crime where you are? NONE?!?!?

Jester249
01-03-2010, 18:00

Can you tell me WHEN you will need the gun? If so, why would you ever carry? When that time came up, just don't go to that place. Carrying 24/7 is a pain in the ass. I carry because I do not know when I will need it......

timetrial-pro
01-03-2010, 18:44
You can never predict when. "BUT" I can predict the outcome, Luck is where preparedness and preparation meet....

j-glock22
01-03-2010, 19:02
Leave your gun in your car???? yeah that's a great idea.

DScottHewitt
01-03-2010, 19:10
Leave your gun in your car???? yeah that's a great idea.

A better idea is to carry somewhere where it is illegal?!?!?

David Armstrong
01-03-2010, 20:46
Funny you should say that. Several months ago, I found out a neighbor (about 1/2 mile as the crow flies) has TIGERS! No kidding. I found out because the local news had a story about an ESCAPED TIGER. I live in a semi-rural area (1-acre lots, no HOA). I've been here six years, and I had no idea that tigers resided a very short distance from my house.
Go figure, eh!
That is why I like to use the tiger attack sometimes as an example. It actually does fall within the realm of "it might happen" for many, but most folks don't worry too much about it.

David Armstrong
01-03-2010, 20:50
My thoughts are while out in public I just can't see where places are all that secure. It's really sad, but if you listen at all to where crap is going down.... you can't put a rhyme or reason to it, so I don't try. It's an exercise in futility IMO.
It might seem so, but really it isn't, and that is something I've pushed for years. We do some form of risk analysis with almost everything else we do in life, and usually do a faiarly reasonable cost/benefit analysis. But when it comes to carrying a firearm it seems so many toss all logic and reason aside and fall back onto the "just in case" model. If "just in case" is the reasoning, there are many better ways to avoid problems. My $.02.

I can name a billion examples of places where things "seemed" safe, and all hell broke lose.
perhaps, but can you name a billion examples of places where things "seemed" safe and all hell broke loose more than once? Of course, don't forget that often when we think something "seemed" safe it was becaue we did not properly understand the risks.

David Armstrong
01-03-2010, 21:00
I'd be willing to bet that most people at Fort Hood thought they were in a safe place...and the US Capital on July 24, 1998...and Trolly Square Mall...and I'll bet no one thought a full on war zone would break out in the middle of North Hollywood in 1997.
You prove my point. Incidents like that are so rare, so unusual, so out of the norm that they take on a bit of mythological folklore all their own. I'd be willing to bet that more people have died in car wrecks on Ft. Hood than have been murdered. I'd bet more folks have died from heart attacks at the Capital than have been murdered there. We sometimes confuse nearly inevitable numbers-driven results with actual likelihoods of events happening.
I don't want to be one of those people so I carry always.
No disagreement with that. I think it is a valid cost/benefit analysis. That is pretty much my view. Nowadays my lifestyle is safe and sane, and the chance of me needing a gun is amazingly low. But carrying a gun around most of the time doesn't cost me much in the way of resources, so it all evens out.

David Armstrong
01-03-2010, 21:04
Would the reason you feel that you are safe there be that there are armed men about.
No, the reason I feel safe ther is that BGs tend to stay away from the PD and it is a pretty safe place.
However the odds of someone going on a spree in my vicinity are the same as the odds of them going on a spree anywhere else.
The odds of spree shootings occurring do differ quite a bit among different places.

David Armstrong
01-03-2010, 21:10
What color is the sky in whatever part of America you live in where the predator problem is a freaking tiger?!?!?
It's not much of a problem. That a is the point. There are real and realistic problems and there are rare and unusual problems. You are relatively safe from a tiger attack in your own house, just as you are relatively safe from many other things that folks talk about here.
Never have any crime where you are? NONE?!?!?
Sure we do. But through good risk assessment I don't worry about it much. Do you think having a gun on you prevents crime???

John Galt
01-03-2010, 21:27
Do you think having a gun on you prevents crime???

I think having a gun on me will give me a better chance of preventing a crime happening to me and mine.

David Armstrong
01-03-2010, 21:32
I think having a gun on me will give me a better chance of preventing a crime happening to me and mine.
Perhaps. It might also make things worse for you and yours. But having a gun usually does not prevent crime, it only changes the responses available to one when crime occurs.

G8Kpr
01-03-2010, 21:46
This is rediculous; you either have a Standard Operating Procedure or you're left to improvise. Each one of us knows what our daily / weekly routine is for the most part. If I CAN carry, I DO carry - period. If I decide to leave the house (or go about the house) unarmed, not PLANNING to go anyplace I might need a sidearm (like we know where that is these days), I cannot always determine where my travels will take me until I return to the 'safety' of my home. If a friend or family member calls from someplace he / she should not be and I need to go where I didn't plan to, I'm not going back to the house to correct my tactical miscalculation.

This whole thread reminds me of a friend of mine who recently commented, "Who needs a gun? If I were going someplace I thought I needed a gun, I just wouldn't go there." He was making an unqualified assumption in this day and age that the places he was going (church, the mall, child's school / college campus, a military base, etc.) were places where he could be SURE he would not need a sidearm to protect himself or those in his care, or to stop a threat within his purview before it escalated.

I agree that these are places where sidearms should not be needed to defend against a developing threat to the safety of ourselves or others but, sadly, we can no longer say these are places where sidearms are not needed, or at least potentially needed, for that purpose. To pick and choose when and where we carry (when carry is not limited by law or other restrictions we have otherwise submitted ourselves to) is to introduce hesitation into our initial decision to be responsible for our own safety, which becomes systemic to the process and leads to hesitation at the point of attack. The only decisions that should need to be made at the point at which the threat reveals itself are: 1) engage or redirect and 2) target or non-target. Anything else leads to uncertainty and hesitation; and he who hesitates is lost.

There's so much more to say, but the point is this: if you carry, you carry - that's it; if you don't, you're playing with it and you should just leave it at home for the benefit of yourself and others - you're not ready to be part of the solution. You're going to hesitate because your mind isn't SET from the beginning on what you are doing and why you are doing it, and you're going to get yourself or someone else hurt at the critical moment. You're not a sheep dog; you're a dangerous sheep.

dnuggett
01-03-2010, 21:54
------

dnuggett
01-03-2010, 22:27
It might seem so, but really it isn't, and that is something I've pushed for years. We do some form of risk analysis with almost everything else we do in life, and usually do a faiarly reasonable cost/benefit analysis. But when it comes to carrying a firearm it seems so many toss all logic and reason aside and fall back onto the "just in case" model. If "just in case" is the reasoning, there are many better ways to avoid problems. My $.02.

perhaps, but can you name a billion examples of places where things "seemed" safe and all hell broke loose more than once? Of course, don't forget that often when we think something "seemed" safe it was becaue we did not properly understand the risks.

No, predicting the future really is an exercise in futility. Always has been, always will be.

Just in case is the part of the reasoning. Do you put your seatbelt on? Is that because you know you will need it, or is it just in case? Is there a better way for you to get to work, travel etc? Or are you taking a calculated risk of getting in the car, and mitigating that risk by putting your seatbelt on? It's the same concept. It's about risk mitigation. Maybe that seatbelt we put on each day will save us, maybe it won't. 99.999% of the time we don't need it. But neither you nor I KNOW when we will need it, so we put it on.

The other part of the reasoning is exercising your rights.

I think the most important thing I can leave you with is this..

Understanding and predicting events and therefore the risk is all about calculating probability. Same as an insurance company actuary, or a casino game. Is an actuary ever wrong? Absolutely, they are only correct on the average. Does a casino lose money at any give table? Yes, they are only right on the average.

So, assuming you can understand the odds to the level that they can, you still stand a chance of being wrong many, many times. The risk of being wrong can be catastrophic to my wife, my child and me. I'm not playing odds with that when I can make a simple decision to carry and be in the best position I can to mitigate the risk.

Analysis complete. :thumbsup:

dnuggett
01-03-2010, 22:33
From a micro level, having a gun on you may not prevent a crime per se.

From a macro level, society being armed absolutely prevents crime.

dnuggett
01-03-2010, 22:42
This is rediculous; you either have a Standard Operating Procedure or you're left to improvise. Each one of us knows what our daily / weekly routine is for the most part. If I CAN carry, I DO carry - period. If I decide to leave the house (or go about the house) unarmed, not PLANNING to go anyplace I might need a sidearm (like we know where that is these days), I cannot always determine where my travels will take me until I return to the 'safety' of my home. If a friend or family member calls from someplace he / she should not be and I need to go where I didn't plan to, I'm not going back to the house to correct my tactical miscalculation.

This whole thread reminds me of a friend of mine who recently commented, "Who needs a gun? If I were going someplace I thought I needed a gun, I just wouldn't go there." He was making an unqualified assumption in this day and age that the places he was going (church, the mall, child's school / college campus, a military base, etc.) were places where he could be SURE he would not need a sidearm to protect himself or those in his care, or to stop a threat within his purview before it escalated.

I agree that these are places where sidearms should not be needed to defend against a developing threat to the safety of ourselves or others but, sadly, we can no longer say these are places where sidearms are not needed, or at least potentially needed, for that purpose. To pick and choose when and where we carry (when carry is not limited by law or other restrictions we have otherwise submitted ourselves to) is to introduce hesitation into our initial decision to be responsible for our own safety, which becomes systemic to the process and leads to hesitation at the point of attack. The only decisions that should need to be made at the point at which the threat reveals itself are: 1) engage or redirect and 2) target or non-target. Anything else leads to uncertainty and hesitation; and he who hesitates is lost.

There's so much more to say, but the point is this: if you carry, you carry - that's it; if you don't, you're playing with it and you should just leave it at home for the benefit of yourself and others - you're not ready to be part of the solution. You're going to hesitate because your mind isn't SET from the beginning on what you are doing and why you are doing it, and you're going to get yourself or someone else hurt at the critical moment. You're not a sheep dog; you're a dangerous sheep.

Very well said.

Misty02
01-04-2010, 05:43
Iím aware that carrying a gun doesnít prevent a crime from occurring. Iím aware that carrying a gun doesnít guarantee survival. Iím aware that a gun is just a tool that can increase the odds of survival if faced with a deadly situation where I have the ability and opportunity to use that particular tool. Taking in consideration the amount of space a gun takes and how easy it is to carry it, to that add the fact that I already have said tool, it becomes illogical to not carry it whenever possible. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Iíve never been much of a gambler. There are many things in our house and vehicles that are there ďjust in caseĒ, what is one more?<o:p></o:p>
I became certified in CPR by the Red Cross ďjust in caseĒ. When I took the class originally I purchased for the home and vehicles a full size emergency kit, a blood pathogen kit and a shield to minimize full contact with the mouth of another person should the need for mouth to mouth be necessary. In the car I carry a fire extinguisher, a sweater (even in summer), a bath towel, a roll of paper towels, a sealed gallon of water that gets replaced twice a year, jumper cables, an empty 2.5 gasoline container, etc. It may sound like a lot of things but it really doesnít occupy that much space; some of those things have become handy for our family, while some have been used by others that needed them, others I may never use or need. What is one more?<o:p></o:p>
We cannot be prepared for everything that can possibly happen, but there are a lot of things we can be better prepared for with little effort. What is one more?<o:p></o:p>
During hurricane season my preparations go off the roof. The idea is to increase our odds and minimize the need to be dependent of others for basic survival. Weíve been fortunate enough to always have enough for our family and even share with others that were less prepared.<o:p></o:p>
Have I gone to places where carrying is either illegal or prohibited without a gun? Yes. Would I eliminate all of those places just because I canít carry? No. One of those happens to be work. Will I carry wherever legal or not prohibited? Of course, why not?<o:p></o:p>
Being prepared for multiple ďjust in caseĒ doesnít hurt or create an unmanageable inconvenience. The odds of us needing the spare tire are a lot higher than needing a gun. I just have both and hope I donít need either. <o:p></o:p>
Each person has their own meter for accepting risk without mitigation; hopefully we are just over prepared.

Stay safe. :wavey:

Ticman
01-04-2010, 06:00
Iím aware that carrying a gun doesnít prevent a crime from occurring. Iím aware that carrying a gun doesnít guarantee survival. Iím aware that a gun is just a tool that can increase the odds of survival if faced with a deadly situation where I have the ability and opportunity to use that particular tool. Taking in consideration the amount of space a gun takes and how easy it is to carry it, to that add the fact that I already have said tool, it becomes illogical to not carry it whenever possible. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Iíve never been much of a gambler. There are many things in our house and vehicles that are there ďjust in caseĒ, what is one more?<o:p></o:p>
I became certified in CPR by the Red Cross ďjust in caseĒ. When I took the class originally I purchased for the home and vehicles a full size emergency kit, a blood pathogen kit and a shield to minimize full contact with the mouth of another person should the need for mouth to mouth be necessary. In the car I carry a fire extinguisher, a sweater (even in summer), a bath towel, a roll of paper towels, a sealed gallon of water that gets replaced twice a year, jumper cables, an empty 2.5 gasoline container, etc. It may sound like a lot of things but it really doesnít occupy that much space; some of those things have become handy for our family, while some have been used by others that needed them, others I may never use or need. What is one more?<o:p></o:p>
We cannot be prepared for everything that can possibly happen, but there are a lot of things we can be better prepared for with little effort. What is one more?<o:p></o:p>
During hurricane season my preparations go off the roof. The idea is to increase our odds and minimize the need to be dependent of others for basic survival. Weíve been fortunate enough to always have enough for our family and even share with others that were less prepared.<o:p></o:p>
Have I gone to places where carrying is either illegal or prohibited without a gun? Yes. Would I eliminate all of those places just because I canít carry? No. One of those happens to be work. Will I carry wherever legal or not prohibited? Of course, why not?<o:p></o:p>
Being prepared for multiple ďjust in caseĒ doesnít hurt or create an unmanageable inconvenience. The odds of us needing the spare tire are a lot higher than needing a gun. I just have both and hope I donít need either. <o:p></o:p>
Each person has their own meter for accepting risk without mitigation; hopefully we are just over prepared.

Stay safe. :wavey:

Misty, very well said, as usual.... :wavey:

HerrGlock
01-04-2010, 06:07

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMNRo4ii2Pk&feature=related

racer88
01-04-2010, 06:20
No, predicting the future really is an exercise in futility. Always has been, always will be.

...... snip ........

So, assuming you can understand the odds to the level that they can, you still stand a chance of being wrong many, many times. The risk of being wrong can be catastrophic to my wife, my child and me. I'm not playing odds with that when I can make a simple decision to carry and be in the best position I can to mitigate the risk.

Analysis complete.

Very well argued. :thumbsup:

David Armstrong
01-04-2010, 09:22
Nonsense. I can predict, with a high level of accuracy, that an airplane will not land on my house today. I can make lots of predictions about the future that far from futile are accurate to a very high degree. Most of us do that on a regular basis.
Just in case is the part of the reasoning. Do you put your seatbelt on? Is that because you know you will need it, or is it just in case?
I will usually put my seatbelt on when driving as it assists me with greater control of the vehcile during certain types of maneuvers, provides additional safety in fairly common accidents, and is required by law. But that is a good question. Do YOU put your seatbelt on if you just need to move your car in the driveway? Probably not, and you chose not to do so because you have made an accurate prediction that you will not need it at that time. So see, it is possible to accurately predict the future. Carrying a gun is no different, and usually it is not a "can I predict where I might need it" it is instead a "can I predict where I won't need it".

David Armstrong
01-04-2010, 09:31
To pick and choose when and where we carry (when carry is not limited by law or other restrictions we have otherwise submitted ourselves to) is to introduce hesitation into our initial decision to be responsible for our own safety, which becomes systemic to the process and leads to hesitation at the point of attack.
That is a heck of an assumption without anything to support it, AFAIK. There are plenty of instances of folks who are selective about when they have a gun with them that have shown no hesitation at the point of attack.
There's so much more to say, but the point is this: if you carry, you carry - that's it; if you don't, you're playing with it and you should just leave it at home for the benefit of yourself and others - you're not ready to be part of the solution. You're going to hesitate because your mind isn't SET from the beginning on what you are doing and why you are doing it, and you're going to get yourself or someone else hurt at the critical moment.
Given the huge amount of evidence that contradicts the second part of that statement, the elitist "if you don't carry just like I do when I think you should you shouldn't carry at all" first part comes as no surprise.
You're not a sheep dog; you're a dangerous sheep.
Carrying a gun around doesn't make you a sheep dog, and not having one with you all the time doesn't make you a sheep. Way too many folks treat the firearm as if it were some magical talisman, IMO.

dnuggett
01-04-2010, 15:37
Nonsense. I can predict, with a high level of accuracy, that an airplane will not land on my house today. I can make lots of predictions about the future that far from futile are accurate to a very high degree. Most of us do that on a regular basis.

It's not nonsense at all. You may be able to predict occurences with a high level of accuracy. Anyone with enough life experience and half a brain can do that. It's almost instinctual. Almost. What you can't do is predict that you will not be in a situation that requires you to defend yourself or your family. It's obvious that you play the law of averages and feel that becuase you avoid certain scenarios, places, what have you that you should be ok. You forget that any prediction falls on it's face as soon as someone doesn't follow the norm. You only get so close to being right. The rest is chance. The gap is closed by preparedness.

You look at history and attempt to predict how to be safe in the future. I look at history, and it tells me the only way to be safe is to protect myself and loved ones to the best of my ability, and to always have the necessary tools to difuse a situation, within reason. Carrying a firearm is completely in reason.

I agree that utilizing your beliefs you should be ok. I don't agree that you can predict when a situation will or won't spark off. You can get close... Thousands if not millions of people in history were close to being safe. You could call them the outliers in your risk analysis. You cannot argue that some of those outliers could have improved their situation by utilizing deadly force. You cannot say that you or I, your family or my family will not be an outlier in your equation.

G8Kpr
01-04-2010, 15:42
Look, DA (can stand for a lot of things), I'm not going to waste my time with a 'but what about this?' type of philoshophical approach with someone who obviously has way more time than I do and uses it to produce endless rhetorical references to unsubstantiated statistics ('huge amount of evidence??? what, where, when? regail us - I'm talking tactics, your passing philosophical gas). If YOU don't want to carry, then don't - it's that simple. Dial 911 and wait like everyone else who dies at the hands of some sociopath does.

As far as what does and doesn't make one a Sheep Dog, I invested 22 of the 42 years of my life supporting and defending the right of people like you to live safe and ruminate on your own arrogance, so have at it. (ps: I reviewed your resume on your blog and, while your experience and training sounds impressive, I knew from the tone of your posts that 'PhD' and 'Professor' had to be in there somewhere - take that how you want it but if you play with pigs..., and you had the gall to throw "elitist" at me?)

It was the 'carry when you think you need it' mentality that allowed a single lunatic to kill 12 and injure 31 on an Army post before someone who had a gun took him out, and another nutcase to kill 32 plus himself and wound a lot more at Va Tech while CCW permit holding students (i.e. law-abiding people with firearms) were forced to leave their sidearms off campus. :steamed:

The 'sip tea (or whatever you're drinking or smoking), impress ourselves with our own rhetoric, and tell people the really scary stuff happens to others' thread must be somewhere else on the forum, but your groundless retorts and 'hey, look at my blog' posturing are wasted here.

Kpr OUT

David Armstrong
01-05-2010, 11:15
It's not nonsense at all.
When one says "No, predicting the future really is an exercise in futility. Always has been, always will be" it is nonsense. People regularly and commonly do exactly that.
What you can't do is predict that you will not be in a situation that requires you to defend yourself or your family.
Just as one cannot predict with absolute certainty that a tiger will not attack them. But we don't worry too much about it because we recognize the probability of that is so low as to be virtually non-existent.
It's obvious that you play the law of averages and feel that becuase you avoid certain scenarios, places, what have you that you should be ok.
It is equally obvious that everyone does that to a greater or lesser degree with all sorts of issues. It is just that some attempt to deny it happening as it relates to carrying a firearm.
You forget that any prediction falls on it's face as soon as someone doesn't follow the norm.
No, at least not if done properly. Failing to fall within the norm is part of the prediction. As an example, few folks carry more than one spare tire with them. Why not two? Well, the norm is that you won't get a flat in the first place. Far outside of the norm is that you will get one flat tire. Even further out is that you will get two flat tires. Depending on where you live, the condition of your tires, how you drive, etc. you can modify that norm and the outliers to some extent.
I look at history, and it tells me the only way to be safe is to protect myself and loved ones to the best of my ability, and to always have the necessary tools to difuse a situation, within reason. Carrying a firearm is completely in reason.
You have just said exactly what I have been saying, whether you realize it or not. "Within reason" IS doing a risk assessment, as opposed to "just in case" wchich provides no reasoning or assessment at all. "Within reason" says you don't need to carry a double rifle with everywhere just in case a tiger attacks. "Within reason" says that we recognize that we cannot prepare for everything, thus we need to assess our actual dangers in order to develop a reasonable plan to respond to those dangers. It says we recognize that there are different levels of danger in different places.
I don't agree that you can predict when a situation will or won't spark off. You can get close...
Sure, just as you can get close but never predict with 100% accuracy what you will need for a situation. Heck, there is always a chance that having a gun with you will make the situation worse. But we don't say better not carry just in case that happens. We predict, we analyze, and we compromise.

David Armstrong
01-05-2010, 11:32
As far as what does and doesn't make one a Sheep Dog, I invested 22 of the 42 years of my life supporting and defending the right of people like you to live safe and ruminate on your own arrogance, so have at it.
Yawn. If we want to play that game, I was busy supporting and defending your rights to live safe while you were still making fingerpaint masterpieces to take home to Mommy, so spare me that kind of nonsense.
I reviewed your resume on your blog and, while your experience and training sounds impressive, I knew from the tone of your posts that 'PhD' and 'Professor' had to be in there somewhere - take that how you want it but if you play with pigs..., and you had the gall to throw "elitist" at me
No, you did not review my resume on my blog because there isn't a resume on my blog. But that's OK, and as you noted even with the little bit of stuff that is there I don't really need to take a backseat to most folks. As for elitist, yes, I generally consider anyone who says honest law-abiding citizens should not carry firearms unless they do it according to their specific requirements to be elitist.
It was the 'carry when you think you need it' mentality that allowed a single lunatic to kill 12 and injure 31 on an Army post before someone who had a gun took him out, and another nutcase to kill 32 plus himself and wound a lot more at Va Tech while CCW permit holding students (i.e. law-abiding people with firearms) were forced to leave their sidearms off campus.
Again, nonsense. Those have nothing to do with any carry mentality. Those are both the results of bad laws and/or rules that I oppose. Of course, as mentioned before, stuff like that only goes to show how rare such events are.
The 'sip tea (or whatever you're drinking or smoking), impress ourselves with our own rhetoric, and tell people the really scary stuff happens to others' thread must be somewhere else on the forum,
Gosh, sure must be, as I certainly have not said that. Perhaps you should try to focus on what is being discussed instead of making up things?
'hey, look at my blog' posturing are wasted here.
There's some more of that "I'm going to make something up" stuff again. The only one bringing up my blog is you.

joeface
01-05-2010, 11:36
Only time I am not armed is when I'm asleep and then my gun is in my reach as I sleep. :cool:
Regards
DW

DW said it.

LongGoneDays
01-05-2010, 11:41
Unless I'm going somewhere that has metal detectors, I'm carrying.

KinderGlocken
01-05-2010, 11:56
24/7, never unarmed!

captcurly
01-05-2010, 11:59
24/7/365

vafish
01-05-2010, 12:30
Perhaps. It might also make things worse for you and yours. But having a gun usually does not prevent crime, it only changes the responses available to one when crime occurs.

That's very true, for you to be able to use a gun a crime would have to be occurring.

So why would you consciously choose to remove a very effective method of responding to a crime?

Having a spare tire won't keep you from getting a flat tire, but, it does give you the best option to respond to a flat tire.

Do you only put a spare tire in your trunk when you think you will need it?

sredish
01-05-2010, 12:49
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

-Thomas Jeffersom, Quoting Cesare Beccaria

The same could be said for carrying or not carrying... it only benefits the criminal to not carry.

Glocktrekker
01-05-2010, 12:49
Very interesting thread-

Here is an example of the type of stupidity we are up against:

Even though I have my CWP, since I am a teacher I cannot have my weapon with me ON ANY SCHOOL GROUNDS (including my car in the parking lot because of a stupid loophole in our laws that allowed school boards to set policy on such things- if they hadn't imposed that extra verbiage, I would be able to have it locked in my car in the lot)

My choice is to either park off school grounds and leave it in my car or not carry Monday thru Friday. I am a law abiding and rule following citizen, so I choose to inconvenience myself by parking off school grounds (which always invites questions from my students and colleagues- I change the subject when it comes up...) so that I can exercise my 2nd Amendment RIGHT.

The hell of it is...anyone- and I mean ANYONE could walk into our school with a weapon and NOBODY would know- THE BAD GUYS DON'T FOLLOW THE RULES/LAWS!!!! SO....I am the one being inconvenienced, not the psychopaths. I am just waiting to see how long it will take for someone to break into my car...

Glock21sf-miami
01-05-2010, 14:39
Just in case is the part of the reasoning. Do you put your seatbelt on? Is that because you know you will need it, or is it just in case? Is there a better way for you to get to work, travel etc? Or are you taking a calculated risk of getting in the car, and mitigating that risk by putting your seatbelt on? It's the same concept. It's about risk mitigation. Maybe that seatbelt we put on each day will save us, maybe it won't. 99.999% of the time we don't need it. But neither you nor I KNOW when we will need it, so we put it on.

Since I think you do NOT really carry if you do not carry 24/7 or at least 90% of the time or better, I'm going to take the idea of the seatbelt argument a little bit farther as it applies well to carrying chambered or not.

Do you think that when you are having the accident you will have time to put the seatbelt on? Along the same lines, if you are surprised by an attack, are you confident you will have the time to rack the slide, disengage the safety, etc....?

That is why I carry a gun with no safeties (Glock 30) 24/7 CHAMBERED. When I can not carry the G30, I carry an SP101...

kda
01-05-2010, 16:05
Always when I leave the house. Around the house, I have one within easy reach ... always.

I no longer trust my government to act on my behalf.

sean665
01-05-2010, 19:12
Company policy is no carry on the clock-other than that, all the time. I have to take my paperwork from the warehouse when I come in at the end of the day, to the office about a block away. I clock out at the warehouse, slip on my G17 before getting into my truck, then take the paperwork to the office.

G8Kpr
01-05-2010, 19:53
Perhaps you should try to focus on what is being discussed

You finally said something I agree with. Thank you so much for showing me the error of my ways. Henceforth I will avoid wasting my time arguing with bloviating, thoroughly self-impressed pedagogues who are primarily interested in hearing (reading) their own unsubstantiated assertions. Had quite a few like you in college - didn't get much from their ramblings either. All those years in the hallowed halls of academia have surely left their mark. :whistling:

As we part company though, would you do us all the service of relating just how Clint Smith or Mas Ayoob espoused a part-time adherence to concealed carry and/or personal responsibility for our own security considering that the use of fire arms (and other tactics) in personal defense, and the associated life-styles / mind-set to support it, are their primary stock and trade? :dunno:

Seems to me one of us is discussing what one does and the other is discussing what one lives... :upeyes:

Toodles,
Kpr :wavey:

dnuggett
01-05-2010, 21:12
Yeah I am going to graciously bow out as well. Seems this could go on forever, and I'm really more interested in reading more interesting topics than bantering back and forth.

Armstrong- You are missing a good deal of my point, and really I'm losing interest in keeping this up. If you are ever in the Dallas area and want to go shooting, let me know. I'd be up for a nice range session and a chat over lunch/dinner.

In the mean time.... here's to hoping you get to all those risk assessments accurate, and don't end up ass out of luck.

CodyBoy
01-05-2010, 21:19

HR

Guess that 1/10 th of a percent is for leap years?:dunno:

:rofl:

100% when legal.

CodyBoy
01-05-2010, 21:29

:wow:

Don't be so quick to speak.

Tiger reported loose on Bolivar Peninsula, judge says
Associated Press
Sept. 16, 2008, 4:05PM
Share Print Share Del.icio.usDiggTwitterYahoo! BuzzFacebookStumbleUponGALVESTON -- Texas authorities busy trying to clean up after Hurricane Ike have a new problem on their hands: There's a tiger loose.

A county official said today that the animal somehow left its enclosure at an exotic pets center in Crystal Beach. Animal experts are coming in to try and catch the tiger.

Galveston County Judge Jim Yarbrough put it this way: ``Turns out there's a tiger, and I understand he's hungry ... so we're staying away from him.''

Crystal Beach is on the Bolivar Peninsula. The area is one of the hardest-hit by Ike.

The news follows reports of a lion holed up in a Baptist church with its owner on Bolivar Peninsula as well as livestock and other animals roaming amid Hurricane Ike's wreckage.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6005149.html

CodyBoy
01-05-2010, 21:34
That is why I like to use the tiger attack sometimes as an example. It actually does fall within the realm of "it might happen" for many, but most folks don't worry too much about it.

And the stray dogs. Don't forget about them.:supergrin:

CodyBoy
01-05-2010, 21:37

May not "prevent" it , but will most likely stop it once begun.

Misty02
01-06-2010, 05:17
Many of us will have to agree to disagree on this one and understand that not everyone believes in having the same level of preparedness where it comes to dealing with disaster. Disaster in this context can be the possibility of being victim of a crime, a hurricane, a tornado, a terrorist attack and a zillion other situations that can threaten our lives. Some of us are well prepared for some things while extremely ill prepared for others. Those best prepared have the highest possibility of survival. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Iím in the infancy stage of being well prepared for SD, intermediate stage for a short term natural disaster and not even in the map for a long term disaster. We set personal limits on how far weíll go at being prepared, even if we disagree with our neighborís preparedness level we have to find a way to respect their way of thinking. We can try to help them think things through but we canít force them to view things as we do. Some time those personal limits are set by their personal economic situation, amount of storage space or their belief on what is probable.<o:p></o:p>
While I believe that carrying a firearm for self defense wherever legal and allowed is a no brainer, I make an effort to understand the reasons why others that posses such a tool feel differently. There are also others that donít possess this tool at all, some canít others just donít want to. Itís their prerogative, whether I agree with their reasons or not.<o:p></o:p>
Iíll associate this with something Iím better at, hurricane season in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Miami</st1:place></st1:City>. Everyone knows you should have some supplies at home and increase those supplies once you know there is a possibility that a hurricane can hit us. Gas tanks in your car should never be below half during the season and filled the second you become aware a tropical storm has the potential of affecting the area. We start hurricane season with 3 filled 5 gallon canisters, increase it to at least 10 before we are under a watch. However, youíll constantly see people at gas stations with their vehicles on E when we are already under a warning. There hasnít been a time yet when we havenít had to supply a neighbor, friend or family member with gas, water, or other items. However, there have also been other neighbors that have helped us all because they possessed tools we didnít have. I can think of two things after Wilma we needed that we personally didnít have, one was a heavy duty chainsaw to cut a 4í+ thick tree and its branches that locked us in our neighborhood and someone else that had a heavy chain and large 4 wheeler to haul it out of the way.<o:p></o:p>
Some people wait for eminent danger to be upon them to prepare, others are prepared for the ďwhat ifĒ even when the possibilities are remote. Which end of the spectrum would you rather find yourself at? Many times Iíve read in this forum ďI rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have itĒ. That seems logical to me and applicable to a multitude of things, a gun being just one of many.<o:p></o:p>

pac201
01-06-2010, 05:24
43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.

Jisatsu
01-06-2010, 05:29
I carry 24/7 outside of work. No reason NOT to carry.

David Armstrong
01-08-2010, 11:38
That's very true, for you to be able to use a gun a crime would have to be occurring.
So why would you consciously choose to remove a very effective method of responding to a crime?
Having a spare tire won't keep you from getting a flat tire, but, it does give you the best option to respond to a flat tire.
Do you only put a spare tire in your trunk when you think you will need it?
For the same reason I would only carry a high power rifle with me if I was anticipating needing a high power rifle or felt that was a reasonable respon se to a realistic need. No need to carry around a crime response if there is no crime.
Some folksw seem to think that all areas have the same chance of danger, and that one cannot predict with any accuracy where a safe zone is. Sorry, I'm just not following that. I carry a spare tire when I drive around because that is reasonable. I don't sit around in my driveway with the spare out fo the trunk and the jack ready just in case my tire goes flat.

David Armstrong
01-08-2010, 11:47
from G8:
Seems to me one of us is discussing what one does and the other is discussing what one lives...
Putting aside all the rather silly personal attacks, as they usually indicate that one is incapable of developing a logical response to the issues, I think that might be the point. Some folks live a fantasy, with BGs attacking them in the shower and so on. Others are a bit more realistic.

David Armstrong
01-08-2010, 11:53
from Misty:
Everyone knows you should have some supplies at home and increase those supplies once you know there is a possibility that a hurricane can hit us. Gas tanks in your car should never be below half during the season and filled the second you become aware a tropical storm has the potential of affecting the area. We start hurricane season with 3 filled 5 gallon canisters, increase it to at least 10 before we are under a watch.
And that is exactly the issue. You do not fully prepare for a hurricane all the time. You make a rational decision regarding what level of preparation is appropriate for different seasons. It is no different with personal safety as it relates to self defense. If you don't feel that you are safe in your own home without carrying a gun around with you, the issue really isn't if you have a gun or not. If you are always afraid of taking a shower without having your gun with you, having the gun isn't the issue. If you are afraid to step out of your door without a gun, the issue isn't the gun. My $.02

xrmattaz
01-08-2010, 11:57
Hey, I can't make this stuff up, really.

At almost 50 years old, including stints in some fairly nasty places around the globe, while serving with the US Navy/Marines, I've never felt truly "in danger".

That is, until just 4 years ago, right outside of Lake Charles, LA....(I kid you not) at a gas station/mini mart. Broad daylight, Saturday afternoon, when a young male intentionally tried to mow me down with his car....he actually turned around and tried again and again. We were visiting Louisiana, nothing was provoked, I'd never met or even seen this person before, but he was hell bent on killing me for some reason.

We were staying in a hotel next door, I thought I was safe walking next door to get some lunch.

Cody Jarrett
01-08-2010, 12:42
I usually don't carry unless I'm banking or going into a strange area or inner city.

David Armstrong
01-08-2010, 13:24
At almost 50 years old, including stints in some fairly nasty places around the globe, while serving with the US Navy/Marines, I've never felt truly "in danger".

FOr me it is not so much an issue of "I feel in danger" as it is "I feel safe." In a strange area or new town, or an area where there is little or limited control, one can't realistically assess the situation, so a higher level of preparation is in order.

So, other than getting run over, how was lunch?:supergrin:

dnuggett
01-08-2010, 20:41
No need to carry around a crime response if there is no crime.

Agreed. Unfortunately there is this thing called crime... hence the need to carry a "crime response" as you call it. It's really that simple.

Some folksw seem to think that all areas have the same chance of danger, and that one cannot predict with any accuracy where a safe zone is. Sorry, I'm just not following that. I carry a spare tire when I drive around because that is reasonable. I don't sit around in my driveway with the spare out fo the trunk and the jack ready just in case my tire goes flat

Now we are getting somewhere... We are talking about carrying a concealed handgun, not a high powered rifle or shotgun. Some of us believe that carrying a handgun is a reasonable alternative.

Anyone who knows much about firearms knows that a handgun is not the best choice of firearms for self defense. If one knew that they were going to be attacked... they would be more prepared. A handgun is a compromise, and a reasonable one at that. I don't sit around the driveway either, just like I don't carry a shotgun everywhere. I make a reasonable compromise, and carry a handgun.

Some folksw seem to think that all areas have the same chance of danger, and that one cannot predict with any accuracy where a safe zone is.

And some folks think that while they are in their "safe zone" they really are safe. Until they aren't.

dakrat
01-08-2010, 20:57
I dont carry at all. why carry when police is only MINUTES away to save me and my loved ones. besides, I have spidy senses that can detect danger coming...

David Armstrong
01-09-2010, 11:47
Agreed. Unfortunately there is this thing called crime... hence the need to carry a "crime response" as you call it. It's really that simple.
Yes, it is that simple. Crime simply is not random, routine, unpredictable or uncontrollable. Again, if one is so worried about crime that they won't take a shower without a gun, or they won't step outside without a gun, carrying a gun is not the issue.
We are talking about carrying a concealed handgun, not a high powered rifle or shotgun.
That is where we disagree. IMO we are talking about risk assessment and need/response, and the blinders that some put on when that concept comes up relating to CCW/OC.
I make a reasonable compromise, and carry a handgun.
We all make compromises, that is my point. In spite of the rhetoric tossed around, we do not carry "just in case" and I'd be willing to bet a fair amount of money that almost all of us do not carry 24/7/365. How accurate that risk assessment is varies quite a bit, but the response is still a compromise by everyone.
And some folks think that while they are in their "safe zone" they really are safe. Until they aren't.
Sure, just like everyone thinks they are safe from that tiger attack. Until they aren't.

bno762
01-09-2010, 11:53
If you can't tell the difference between a relatively safe location and a relatively bad location you have a lot worse problem than if you should carry a gun or not, IMO.

Relatively safe...what would you consider a relatively safe place?

bno762
01-09-2010, 11:54
Oops. Sorry David. I'll go read the other 5 pages first. Didn't realize this had been an ongoing discussion for 5 pages.

greatwun
01-09-2010, 12:06
If I can legally carry in the place I am in or going to, then I'm strapped. Nowadays I never go any where that carry is not allowed except for the bar every now and then.

Misty02
01-10-2010, 18:46
And that is exactly the issue. You do not fully prepare for a hurricane all the time. You make a rational decision regarding what level of preparation is appropriate for different seasons. It is no different with personal safety as it relates to self defense. If you don't feel that you are safe in your own home without carrying a gun around with you, the issue really isn't if you have a gun or not. If you are always afraid of taking a shower without having your gun with you, having the gun isn't the issue. If you are afraid to step out of your door without a gun, the issue isn't the gun. My $.02

Believe it or not David, each time I step outside and do so with a gun itís not because Iím scared. It is simply because I have such a tool. For many years I didnít have it, thus I didnít carry it. However, it occupies little space and it is not an inconvenience to have it with me. I find no logical reason to leave it behind. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I prepare for hurricane season during certain months of the year because historically that has been the season when hurricanes strike. Nonetheless, a couple of years ago we had a hurricane form on 12/15, since then I have maintained the prepared status until 12/20. I used to drop our preparedness on 11/30, the end of hurricane season. Becoming aware of changes leads me to adapt my level of preparedness.<o:p></o:p>
Hurricanes are more predictable than falling victim to a crime. I prepare as best as can for either, although I could probably do better at both.<o:p></o:p>

BK63
01-10-2010, 19:24
Can somebody turn the light off when this thread is over? To each his own :supergrin:

David Armstrong
01-11-2010, 09:22
Believe it or not David, each time I step outside and do so with a gun it’s not because I’m scared.
I believe that, Misty. In case it wasn't clear, I think you have done a fairly good cost/benefit check and analysis. My complaint is with the "24/7/365 don't take a shower without it or cross the threshold of the door or go anywhere you can't carry just in case the boogie man might get you if you don't carry all the time you might as well not carry at all" crowd. Most of the time when I carry these days it is not because I'm scared, it is because I'm unsure of my level of safety, which is a very different concept.
Becoming aware of changes leads me to adapt my level of preparedness.

Which is exactly what I suggest, rather than "just in case".

dosei
01-11-2010, 09:42

If I can be carrying, I am. It is just part of the "getting dressed in the morning" routine.

John Galt
01-11-2010, 14:36
My complaint is with the "24/7/365 don't take a shower without it or cross the threshold of the door or go anywhere you can't carry just in case the boogie man might get you if you don't carry all the time you might as well not carry at all" crowd.

What exactly is your complaint?

If you don't wish to carry 24/7/365, don't.
If I do wish to carry 24/7/365 what does that have to do with you?

dosei
01-11-2010, 15:40
Some folksw seem to think that all areas have the same chance of danger, and that one cannot predict with any accuracy where a safe zone is. Sorry, I'm just not following that.

I agree and disagree...

Yes, there does seem to be some people that seem to believe that all areas have the identical risk. But many others simply recognize that nobody can predict with absolute accuracy all the time.

Prior to owning and carrying a cell phone, there was not one time that I ever really needed a cell phone. Since acquiring a cell phone, there has not been a single time that I ever really needed it. I really do not need it, and in all likelihood I never will really need it. I do, however, carry it daily. Even though there are places where I am required by law to render it inoperable (airplanes) and others where I am encouraged to render in inoperable (theaters) I still carry it daily and abide by the laws and requests. I really don't want to ever "need" it, but making a habit of having it with me is so easy that I don't mind it at all.

Do I think the "24/7, in the shower, thunderwear to bed" crowd is a little nutty and seem to have a screw or two loose...yes. But do I carry when I know the odds of needing it are basicly nill...yes. Oh...and yes I do buckle my seat belt when moving a car in the driveway, not because I think there is any need for it whatsoever, but because I believe it is a good habit to have.

double07gt
01-11-2010, 15:44

Bad parts of town? Hell, its bad everywhere, just some scenery is better than others, but SCUMBAGS live in the better parts of town also. Stop fooling yourself..........

David Armstrong
01-12-2010, 10:19
What exactly is your complaint?
My complaint is people who do not think, who deny facts and refuse to use logic, and then try to say that is a good way to do things.

David Armstrong
01-12-2010, 10:24
But many others simply recognize that nobody can predict with absolute accuracy all the time.
But that is true of many things in life that we experience. Like I say, we don't walk around worrying about and ready to fight the tiger all the time.
I really don't want to ever "need" it, but making a habit of having it with me is so easy that I don't mind it at all.
No disagreement, and IMO a much more honest assessment than some have proposed.

DennisH
01-18-2010, 05:10
Always!!

krush777
01-27-2010, 20:11
I would like to contribute this: being on "high alert" all of the time will take its toll on any normal person. I am defensive minded and I try to be prepared. For a few years, I carried a gun everywhere I went. Then I started to feel that I was uptight all of the time and was too preocupied with what "may happen" and missed a lot of fun moments. I train daily, am a Martial Artist, and pay attention to my surroundings. Now that I don't carry every day, I take better care of myself, train harder and when it is time to relax and enjoy myself without any fear. If something "bad' happens, I will respond based on my abilities at the time. That response may be tempered by my not being armed at the time. This I accept. Last summer at my family picnic (Euclid Creek Reservation in Euclid, Oh), I was walking around (unarmed) with my 6 foot tall, super muscular, toughest guy I know older brother who is a die-hard biker. We watched somewhat in horror as a guy was playing kickball with about 15 little kids. As he rolled the ball for them to kick, the Glock 19 that he was wearing in a holster on his overly loose belt with his too-big pants kept coming out from under his too-big shirt. It was flopping all over his left side. It was kinda painful for me to think that this guy could have been so uptight, or defensive minded that he needed a gun to play kickball with little kids. I named the place because maybe he is on this forum as will get to read my post.

Glock21sf-miami
01-27-2010, 21:49
I can relax with my gun on me. Actually, it is hard to just relax if my gun is NOT on me. I carry all the time 24/7 and it is just like wearing pants.

Warp
01-27-2010, 21:56
All the time, whenever and wherever legal. It is really quite simple and remarkably easy.

Max45acp
12-09-2010, 07:50
Gun goes on after the belt every day! After a while it just becomes another part of getting dressed. If I thought I was going some place I needed it I either wouldnt go or would take the AR 15 and shot gun with me

Centurion6
12-09-2010, 12:15
24/7

When I go to bed I keep my EDC (Glock 19) in CB Supertuck in my jeans next to the bed. Bed stand has another Glock 19 with light and laser on it.

BailRecoveryAgent
12-09-2010, 12:48
Google "Isaac Zamora". The six he killed and the two he injured that day near my home probably thought it was just another day and went about their business. I knew one of the victims and their family very well. No fault to the victims, thats not what I meant. But we can just never be 100% sure of our safety even at our homes like some of his victims were.

I don't carry inside my house or sleep or shower with a gun, but carrying for me is not an inconvienance and therefore I choose to always carry where legal. I'm not on high alert and paranoid when I'm out either like some people get. Most of the time, I never think of the gun being there unless I bump it or feel it. But I always know its there, like my pocket knife and seat belt, I may not need them everyday, but when I do, I'll have them.

Lockback
12-09-2010, 13:38
I carry when I can legally.
Can't carry at work.
Can't carry in bars/restaurants.
That rules out a lot of my time. :supergrin:
But do carry pretty much everywhere else.

hamster
12-09-2010, 14:04
I carry when I can legally.
Can't carry at work.
Can't carry in bars/restaurants.
That rules out a lot of my time. :supergrin:
But do carry pretty much everywhere else.

DITTO.

I wonder about the other Ohio posters who claim they carry 24/7. Unless you have a real fondness for crappy restaurants its damn near impossible. Not to mention the many CPZ zones and government buildings etc.

In Ohio, because of the idiotic laws the following are off limits:

1. Any premises with a license to serve liquor. That means I can't can't carry on the local golf course, I can't go into any restaurant worth a damn, can't carry in a local grocery chain because they have a license to serve beer in their cafe, etc. You literally have to look up any building you go into on the state liquor control board site if you want to stay 100% legal. You'd be surprised at how many places have a license to serve.

2. Can't carry in government buildings. Sounds straightforward, but no post office, local courthouse, city hall, police station, city rec center, municipal golf course clubhouse etc. Even buildings that may "rent" a room to a courthouse are then off-limits. Key Center tower in downtown Cleveland is off-limits because apparently the building has some court functions that occur in leased rooms on some floor.

Also, while highway rest-stops are OK, if they have a Tourist info booth inside, they become once again off-limits. Since most every rest-stop on the Ohio Turnpike has such a booth, the entire length of I-80 in Ohio becomes defacto off-limits for carry inside buildings.

3. Can't carry in Posted places. The cherry on top of all of the idiotic restrictions are the large number of establishments that post signs because their lawyers are afraid of liability issues. Babies R us, Costco, Entire local malls post their whole parking lots & premises. Most hospitals and medical clinics like the Cleveland Clinic etc.

4. Many employers don't post, but have policies against weapons. As a consultant, I don't carry at client sites because I can't know all their policies, and I can't afford to lose a client over some secretary "making" me at this point in my career.

If anyone in our state can carry even close to 24/7, I envy you.

Max45acp
12-09-2010, 14:42
I am fortunate to work where i can carry, given the choice between fast food restaurants i will always pick one that allows carry. I no longer drink when I go out can not afford a dui. Check is direct deposit so no need to go to the bank and no need to go to government building's. In the rare occasions that i have to enter a no carry building gun gets locked in a case and i try to pick a seat where I can see the car. I am hopefull they pass the law that would allow us to carry in restaurant the serve liquor as long as we dont drink

FireForged
12-09-2010, 16:02
I apply the same logic to SD as I do other risks that we may encounter in life. I decided long ago that I was not going to go through life like I am on some "spec-op mission" of self defense but more of a common sense preparedness towards risks in general. There is nothing wrong with carrying 24/7 but I will tell you that I dont. It would be fair to say that I carry most of the time. I dont try to make my life revolve around carrying a weapon but rather the other way around. In doing that, sometimes carrying a weapon just doesnt fit in... and thats ok with me.

Toorop
12-09-2010, 16:20
Allways, Better to have it and not need it then to not have it and need it.

This sums up my thoughts on carrying all of the time pretty well.

bigtony05
12-09-2010, 19:02
Carry mines to church to

Glock21sf-miami
12-09-2010, 21:26
Since statistically a normal person may need a gun maybe once in a lifetime, I will only carry that day. If possible, I will only carry during the hour when I am going to need it. After that, then I will lock the gun in the safe for the rest of my life.

Oh, yes... I forgot to mention that I'm a psychic. You are feeling confused now.... see?

heliguy
12-10-2010, 09:42
I used to carry every day until I took the local police dept's citizens academy 13 week course. When I looked at the local crime stats, it made no sense to carry in my town unless I just wanted to because I have the right to. The LEO's here haven't fired a shot from their duty weapons in the last 18 yrs (except for the SWAT).

dnuggett
12-10-2010, 13:42
I used to carry every day until I took the local police dept's citizens academy 13 week course. When I looked at the local crime stats, it made no sense to carry in my town unless I just wanted to because I have the right to. The LEO's here haven't fired a shot from their duty weapons in the last 18 yrs (except for the SWAT).

You list Dallas. What city are you really in?

RedRyder21
12-10-2010, 14:55
When the entire United States goes one year with out any murder or crime of any kind, I might consider leaving the house without a firearm..................

:wavey:

David Armstrong
12-10-2010, 15:42
I apply the same logic to SD as I do other risks that we may encounter in life. I decided long ago that I was not going to go through like like I am on some "spec-op mission" of self defense but more of a common sense preparedness towards risks in general.
Well heck, there's the problem right there. Trying to apply common sense to the issue!:wavey:

arm chair kommando
12-10-2010, 16:02
That's kind of like saying I only wear my seatbelt when I think I'm going to get in a wreck

CBennett
12-10-2010, 16:18
Just when im out and about..I dont carry in the house unless I have been out and about to put it on in the first place.

wrenrj1
12-10-2010, 18:44
Can somebody turn the light off when this thread is over? To each his own :supergrin:

It's called unsubscribe...Click the link.:yawn:

bigtony05
12-10-2010, 23:59
in my state u half to carry all the time kids down here will shoot you,i mean 15 years old out robbing folks kids age 15 to 23 getting murder over dumb stuff.

matt c
12-11-2010, 14:34
I

It could through body language. If one exhibits more confidence walking around with a gun on them this is shown through body language. Criminals are just like any other human and can pick up on these bodily cues. It is well know that any criminal will attempt to pick out a weaker target than a stronger one. Your external confidence plays a big part in appearing to be a more difficult target as opposed to a weaker one.

David Armstrong
12-11-2010, 17:44
It could through body language. If one exhibits more confidence walking around with a gun on them this is shown through body language. Criminals are just like any other human and can pick up on these bodily cues. It is well know that any criminal will attempt to pick out a weaker target than a stronger one. Your external confidence plays a big part in appearing to be a more difficult target as opposed to a weaker one.
If one needs to have a gun to walk with confidence, I don't think the gun will change things much. But you make my point, I think. Whether one has the gun or not does not prevent the crime as the criminal doesn't see the gun. The criminals perception of you as a target, accurate or inaccurate, prevents the crime.

dpadams6
12-11-2010, 17:48
i treat it just like an american express card.!

Crossfit1981
12-11-2010, 18:01
With the development of reliable pocket pistols chambered in the .380 round, theres no reason not to be armed %100 of the time when outside of the home.

Deaf Smith
12-11-2010, 18:01
The criminals perception of you as a target, accurate or inaccurate, prevents the crime.

This is quite true folks. As Clint Smith says, "If you look like food you will be eaten."

And if you look like a mark, armed or unarmed, you will be robbed or worse.

Now I don't take my roscoe with me to the shower. I don't mow the lawn with my hogleg strapped to my thigh. And I don't sleep with one stashed under my pillow.

But I do consistently take either a J .38 or my Glock 26 with me whenever I go out!

And most importantly I try to not look like food! I keep alert. I go out looking like I have a purpose. I keep my head up and eyes open. And I don't go to bars, I don't get drunk, I don't get into arguments, I don't stay out late at night. I also work out and keep fairly healthy (Krav Maga and Taekwondo will do that for you.)

And all that means far more than packing a roscoe 7/24. Far far more.

Deaf

DB1985
11-28-2011, 04:20
Carry practically 24/7 unless I'm showering or asleep. And even then gun is always within reach.

HerrGlock
11-28-2011, 06:51

So tell me who you call to find out if you're going to need it or not, please!

Will they pay for all your medical expenses if they're wrong? If not, why would you believe them?

This one confuses me. Do you only carry a spare when you plan on having a flat? Do you throw a first aid kit in the car whenever you expect yourself to get cut or burnt? Do you rent a fire extinguisher only when you believe you're going to set the stove on fire?

HerrGlock
11-28-2011, 06:56
http://ankylosaur.com/images/zombiethread.jpg

BailRecoveryAgent
11-28-2011, 08:20
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee415/NathielSurefire/ThreadNecro.jpg

Lior
11-28-2011, 08:26
Whenever bad guys send me letters stating that they are going to attack me at an exact certain time and place, I take a gun out of the safe and strap it on for the occasion. [/sarcasm]

But seriously, it is very unusual for me to leave the home unarmed.

maddy345
11-28-2011, 12:15
24/7 365

one73maro
11-28-2011, 16:14
I carry all the time. I have a gun within arms length of me 16 hours a day. The other 8 hours when I'm at work it's in my car. You never know when you are going to need it. It's always better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!