What BHN do you cast to? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What BHN do you cast to?

ustate
01-02-2010, 15:54
I'm curious, for those that cast your own what BHN do you aim for?

GioaJack
01-02-2010, 16:14
If you're not trying to push the envelope on velocity with pistol calibers just size 'em correctly, use quality lube and cast with straight WW's or even range lead. Keep 'em below 1100 fps and you'll have no leading problems... assuming your barrel is in good shape.

Jack

PBKing
01-02-2010, 17:05
If you're not trying to push the envelope on velocity with pistol calibers just size 'em correctly, use quality lube and cast with straight WW's or even range lead. Keep 'em below 1100 fps and you'll have no leading problems... assuming your barrel is in good shape.

Jack

Exquisitely articulated

I see 10-12 on average. I cull out the stick ons and add to my cast. An average 12
It's not what I aim for....it is what it is.

freakshow10mm
01-02-2010, 17:52
12-14 for shooting and hunting.

fredj338
01-02-2010, 21:27
Clipon ww are between 10-12. Stickons almost pure lead. I am quite happy w/ 10-12BHN for all my pistol needs to 1250fps or so. Mix 50/50 w/ pure lead & they make great sub 1000fps loads. Water drop the clipons & BHN gos to over 20 & can be used for moset rfile shooting to 2000fps or so. For LHP, I like pure lead & tin, 25-1 tp 1200fps & 20-1 above that. The 50/50 lead/ww mix will also work for LHP, butabove 1000fps, they start to frag at the nose.

chris in va
01-03-2010, 01:14
I really don't think all stick-ons are pure lead. The larger, flatter ones melt readily in my pot while the soft thicker ones simply sit there forever and I have to weed them out along with the clips.

My 9mm water dropped are keyholing pretty badly, so I'm going to try some towel dropped here shortly as I suspect they are too hard. Accuracy is horrible too.

PBKing
01-03-2010, 07:47
I really don't think all stick-ons are pure lead. The larger, flatter ones melt readily in my pot while the soft thicker ones simply sit there forever and I have to weed them out along with the clips.

For sure... I get steel, aluminum and Zn stickons. Less than 1% of stickons
Pb stickons are usually @ 10% of total WW

My 9mm water dropped are keyholing pretty badly, so I'm going to try some towel dropped here shortly as I suspect they are too hard. Accuracy is
horrible too.
Slug your bore, most likely a size issue.
What are your bullets sized to and what firearm?
I dont water drop any 9mm. There are a lot of generous 9mm bores out there and leaving them soft and a tad fat allows them to be used in a wider variety of handguns. Just been my experience.