Sig 522 problems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sig 522 problems

DriBak
01-02-2010, 16:42
I got my iron sights in today and went to the range. I did not even make it through a full mag when the extractor failed, it blew out. I'll be calling Sig Monday morning. Hopefully they can send me a new extractor, extractor spring and extractor plunger and this will be DIY remedy.
So much for Sig Sauer "Reliability. First Time. Every Time." :upeyes::steamed:

M2 Carbine
01-02-2010, 22:18
It blew out?
Did the shell case blow out? There's been some cases of S&W M&P 15-22 losing extractors when the case blew out.

I've got about 6-7 hundred rounds through my SIG 522 now.

What iron sights do you have?

CMG
01-03-2010, 06:41
That sucks!

Mine has been trouble-fee so far, but I've only put about 300 rounds thru it so far.

GSSF17
01-03-2010, 09:10
Interesting. I do think that Sig Sauer "jumped the shark" with that rifle. Not my favorite. Then again, I have an M&P 15-22, and swore I would never buy another Smith that was not a revolver........ But I digress.........

What ammo were you using?

RUT
01-03-2010, 14:24
Then again, this is the first such problem I've heard re. the 522. On the other hand, the 15-22 has had a myriad of "ejector" problems resulting in umpty-ump of them being returned to the factory for repair. If anyone jumped the shark, I'd say it was S&W.

M2 Carbine
01-03-2010, 16:02
On the other hand, the 15-22 has had a myriad of "ejector" problems
I found my Smith M&P ejector was too far to the left and low. Whether or not the extracted case hit the ejector or not was just a matter of luck.

I carefully bent the ejector up and right and that cured the problem.
The SIG has almost the exact ejector.

A few minutes ago I was talking to my friend that was shooting my SIG yesterday. I mentioned that I thought they ran about 4-5 hundred rounds through the SIG. He said more like, at least, 7-8 hundred. At times there were three people loading (eleven) magazines for the shooters, shooting rapid fire from the hip.:supergrin:

Everyone that shoots the gun likes it.

DriBak
01-04-2010, 08:49
I just got off the phone with SS customer service. I asked for the parts so that I could DIY, they said they will email me a shipping label as they would like to see the firearm. They said this was a new firearm and this definitely should not have happened.

The case did not "blow" or anything. I have had that happen with my Ciener kit and my AR, so I know what that feels and sounds like.
I bought a set of clone KA back up irons like these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300376660448&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2343wt_939

My "gas block mod" did not work as I intended so I have the sights mounted on the rail. It looks unconventional, but they are back up to my EoTech 551 clone. They are "close" but still further apart than the back ups on top of the ACOG or the back ups on top of the AUG/STG556 optic.
I'll keep my eye out for someone to clone the Sig front sight or one cheap somewhere.
I'll keep you guys updated.

GSSF17
01-04-2010, 18:59
Then again, this is the first such problem I've heard re. the 522. On the other hand, the 15-22 has had a myriad of "ejector" problems resulting in umpty-ump of them being returned to the factory for repair. If anyone jumped the shark, I'd say it was S&W.

Not the first problem regarding the 552 I have heard of--or assited with (as an Armorer). Oh, and trust me, I am not a fan of the M&P 15-22. Really. Just cause I have one, does not mean I think it hung the moon. Mine, however, has been flawless and fun. :supergrin:

And I will disagree with the designation of "myriad" with regard to ejector problems on the 15-22. To me, "myriad" means "too many to name"-- which is hardly the case. Thanks to M2 Carbine for clearing up the "myriad" of problems.

Anyway, Sig will not let any DIY go on at all. No surprise you were asked to send it back.

I love Sig Sauer weapons. I am brand loyal as hell to them, and have been impressed with their innovations and engineering over the years. But, my opinion- which you can willfully ignore and take for what you will-- is that Sig really missed something with this rifle. I was so excited about it, and then kinda fizzled when I handled, shot, and disassembled it. Oh well, sorry to ramble but I cannot put my finger on it................

RUT
01-04-2010, 19:43
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-long-guns/110455-new-mp15-22-feeding-extraction-issues.html

GSSF17
01-04-2010, 20:28
http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-long-guns/110455-new-mp15-22-feeding-extraction-issues.html

Ok, then. Good luck to them. I can't make mine malfunction.:wavey:

Still, I wanted Sig to come about wth a flawless, absolutely AWESOME weapon that had plenty of T&E --so there would not be threads about disasters and problems. I would love the 522 to be the Kick Ash rifle of the rimfire rage, but turns out, it's the same thing as everyone else's.

And the frustrating thing??? I KNOW they could have done it. And I mean, REALLY done that sucker right, if not in such a hurry.....................

M2 Carbine
01-04-2010, 21:11
A few minutes ago I was talking to my friend that was shooting my SIG yesterday. I mentioned that I thought they ran about 4-5 hundred rounds through the SIG. He said more like, at least, 7-8 hundred. At times there were three people loading (eleven) magazines for the shooters, shooting rapid fire from the hip.
A couple hours ago I started cleaning the SIG. I don't think I've seen a 22 that dirty. The bolt and receiver were bad carbon-ed up and the receiver and trigger housing were loaded with burned powder flakes. I gave up on it and tomorrow I'll spray the bolt, receiver and trigger housing with WD40 and blow it out with a air hose for starters.

If the gun ever had an opportunity to jam it was Saturday. All the lube between the bolt and receiver was long gone, bone dry. If we shoot the rifle that much again I'll lube the bolt after a few hundred rounds.

Everyone had fun blasting with the rifle.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/LinSIG.jpg

It seems it points pretty good from the hip, at least for the six people shooting it. They kept cleaning the berm of clay pigeons.:)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/KyleSIG.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/NatSIG.jpg

Oh BTW 522 owners. The rear sling stud/bolt had unscrewed almost to the point of falling out. A little LockTite might be called for.

CMG
01-04-2010, 21:50
Well, perhaps my standards aren't high enough, but I think both S&W and Sig "got it right".

I've had no issues with either one, and find them both well-designed and better than many others on the market.

Could they have done better? No doubt, but then the price would be too high to attract many folks.

RUT
01-04-2010, 22:24
>>Well, perhaps my standards aren't high enough<<

Guess that must be my problem too, as don't know what else I'd expect from it. I like the looks of it , and prefer the "Swiss" handguard over the rail as found on the S&W. Being a .22, I can't imagine what I'd need a tactical rail for. (to me they're like grasping a porcupine.)

The other thing in Sig's favor for me is the factory is a mere 50 miles away, so if anything does go wrong I'll just drive it over to Exeter and drop it off. :supergrin:

Believe me, I have no axe to grind with Smith, as I've been an S&W owner/fan for probably more years that most of you are old. :cool:

M2 Carbine
01-04-2010, 22:45
I find the S&W more "useful" than the SIG.

I've found that since the Smith has the exact same controls and feels like the AR, it makes an excellent, low cost trainer for the AR.
I've seen that people can run a lot of inexpensive 22LR through the S&W and then they are immediately comfortable shooting the (expensive) AR.

Also because of the rails, (I don't like the side rails) such as lasers, laser/lights, etc, can be easily attached to the Smith.
In my case I can use the Smith for night time (AR) laser/light practice since the 22 noise isn't objectionable, whereas the .223 noise would be.

theTactician
01-05-2010, 03:31
fired 500 rounds of cci mini mags with no hiccups so far.. i think sig 522 is a fine piece of 22lr rifle

RUT
01-05-2010, 07:38
>> low cost trainer for the AR<<

I guess not all of us need "trainers" for their ARs, nor are we crawling through the pucker brush at night. :supergrin:

mag318
01-07-2010, 21:34
I have over 2k rounds thru my M&P15-22 now and it remains troublefree. I just ordered a 2'nd one today with the new factory installed flash hider.

GSSF17
01-08-2010, 17:06
I have over 2k rounds thru my M&P15-22 now and it remains troublefree. I just ordered a 2'nd one today with the new factory installed flash hider.

That's good. Mine as well. Enjoy your M&P.

Just be careful making any comments or posting observations about the Sig 522. I expected more from Sig, and got pounced on for it.

Although this is a thread titled "Sig 522 problems", actually pointing out these problems and making any negative observations regarding the weapon, as founded and real as they may be, really hurts some folks' feelings. :upeyes:

mag318
01-08-2010, 18:54
I don't own a Sig 522 yet but I'm thinking about it, just waiting for their next version with sights on it.

CMG
01-09-2010, 03:21
That's good. Mine as well. Enjoy your M&P.

Just be careful making any comments or posting observations about the Sig 522. I expected more from Sig, and got pounced on for it.

Although this is a thread titled "Sig 522 problems", actually pointing out these problems and making any negative observations regarding the weapon, as founded and real as they may be, really hurts some folks' feelings. :upeyes:

:rofl:

No hurt feelings here, just a different experience with my personal 522... and having re-read the thread I didn't see where anyone "pounced"... unless you're much more sensitive than you seem! After all you did say ...my opinion- which you can willfully ignore and take for what you will... :supergrin:

GSSF17
01-09-2010, 08:53
:rofl:

No hurt feelings here, just a different experience with my personal 522... and having re-read the thread I didn't see where anyone "pounced"... unless you're much more sensitive than you seem! After all you did say :supergrin:

Not you, CMG. Nor am I oversly sensitive.

EDIT* --discretion is the better part of valor, so that's how I will leave it.

Anyway, glad you have had such great experience with your rifle.

CMG
01-09-2010, 19:57
Not you, CMG. Nor am I oversly sensitive.

EDIT* --discretion is the better part of valor, so that's how I will leave it.

Anyway, glad you have had such great experience with your rifle.

I understand... :supergrin:

Like I said, my standards aren't as high as some folks'... I'm just and end user rather than a gun-crank so for me if it runs out of the box and lasts longer than I want to keep it, then it's good.

I even like the GSG5, and that is one that could certainly have been done better.

Frog1
01-10-2010, 18:31
I love the M&P. It has been great. I just fixed up my old 10-22 to make it as much fun to play with. Having two great semi .22 rifles is a good thing.

I think the Sig looks interesting, but I don't want my Ruger to sit and rust. I'm glad there are now options for .22 fans to pick from.

DriBak
01-12-2010, 20:14
Sig received my 522 today
:popcorn:

Broncbuster
01-12-2010, 20:20
Keep us posted. I have been looking at them. I have a few Sig pistols but have not used their Customer Service. Good luck.

mag318
01-12-2010, 21:22
A dealer I frequent finally got 3 Sig 522s in. One was sold instantly and one went on the display rack. This was the first opportunity I had to actually look at one hands on. I liked it so I bought one, even though it has no sights.
Interestingly when inspecting it I could not get the stock to lock open, not wanting to force anything I had the gun shop owner try his luck. Neither of us could get the stock to lock. We then unpacked his 3'rd rifle to see if that one would lock open and again it was a no go. Finally we tried something different, we placed the rifle on a folded blanket and used body weight to attempt to lock the stock, it worked with both rifles. And the good news is that after doing this a few times the lock worked in enough to be able to do it by hand. I think Sig just makes these studs, even though they are polymer, to be tight and wear in. Now I just have to buy some magazines and wait for some warm weather so I get get some range time. My S&W M&P15-22 has been flawless and hopefully the Sig 522 will be also.

Infallible
01-13-2010, 03:12
I even like the GSG5, and that is one that could certainly have been done better.

now thats the truth, though there are more than few happy owners of those as well. I found mine to be a nice looking toy more than anything.

theTactician
01-13-2010, 13:24
A dealer I frequent finally got 3 Sig 522s in. One was sold instantly and one went on the display rack. This was the first opportunity I had to actually look at one hands on. I liked it so I bought one, even though it has no sights.
Interestingly when inspecting it I could not get the stock to lock open, not wanting to force anything I had the gun shop owner try his luck. Neither of us could get the stock to lock. We then unpacked his 3'rd rifle to see if that one would lock open and again it was a no go. Finally we tried something different, we placed the rifle on a folded blanket and used body weight to attempt to lock the stock, it worked with both rifles. And the good news is that after doing this a few times the lock worked in enough to be able to do it by hand. I think Sig just makes these studs, even though they are polymer, to be tight and wear in. Now I just have to buy some magazines and wait for some warm weather so I get get some range time. My S&W M&P15-22 has been flawless and hopefully the Sig 522 will be also.

is that how to do it? coz ive been having a hard time locking the stock too after i fold it.

sp00ky
01-17-2010, 07:56
is that how to do it? coz ive been having a hard time locking the stock too after i fold it.

Glad to see that - I'd never been able to get the stock to to lock when folded. Now it does :-)

FWIW, I got my 522 a couple of weeks ago and I've put close to 1k rounds in it since. Not one failure to feed or eject. One failure to fire with 15 year old UMC (Remington) cheap stuff. Other than that its been flawless.

.5'' groups at 25 yds off a sandbag using inexpensive Leapers glass . It really likes Wolf MT. It'll even eat Thunderbolt w/ no problems - just don't expect anything better than 3'' at 25 yds. Never fired that junk before - I was shocked at how bad (and dirty!) it shot.

I took a fat black Sharpie to the Sig magazine. Didn't like the clear plastic. I'm gonna get some Black Dogs, I think. At least a couple of 25's plus one 10-rounder for bench shooting.

I walked into Buds (Paris, KY) with the intention of picking up a S&W M&P 15-22. Honestly, I thought the 522 was out of my price range. Imagine my surprise when they had several 522's - for $399! Walked out w/ the 522 and I couldn't be happier.

-k

RRA556
01-18-2010, 17:12
I found this new hooded front sight for the Sig556 and should work. I ordered one today for $44.95.

DriBak
01-18-2010, 20:50
I found this new hooded front sight for the Sig556 and should work. I ordered one today for $44.95.

Nice find, I figured a clone would show up sooner or later.

DriBak
01-22-2010, 07:43
Sig over-nighted my 522 back, came with an invoice that simply stated "repaired and test fired with 50 rounds CCI mini mag" I'll take it to the range today and sight in my new to me old style Trijicon Reflex

Broncbuster
01-22-2010, 09:07
Keep us posted with the range report. I went buy one last night but have been on the fence between the 522 and the S&W 15-22. I have heard allot less problems with the Sig though.

DriBak
01-22-2010, 17:51
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j282/DriBak/SDC10937.jpg
Range report:
522 operated flawlessly, I really love the Trijicon Reflex, especially outdoors. It sounds like a pellet gun with the can loudest part is round hitting target. The 522 preferred my TAC 65 suppressor over my Thompson Machine XP, with the TM I had severe POI shift. It was very windy today in West Texas, but was still able to have tight groups with many rounds touching at 25 yards.
I really wish this rifle came with iron sights.
This will surely become my favorite tacticool .22, however, I have not been 100% pleased with Sig customer service. I have had better "support" from Hi-Point. :upeyes: It would appear that they really favor and prefer their LEO/Military customers.
Please don't tell the wife how much I have in this twenty two :whistling: