Cold snowy blues [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cold snowy blues

n2extrm
01-02-2010, 17:19
Well it has been snowing on and off and bellow 30 degrees here for the last month or so. I know it's nothing compared to what some of you have got, but it has me not shooting and not reloading. My reloading room/work shop is detached and not heated. Any good ways to put heat in it safe and effectively? Any body else getting bumed out over this wheather?

GioaJack
01-02-2010, 17:25
Cast some bullets, it'll warm the cockles of your heart... your hands and nose too.

Jack

n2extrm
01-02-2010, 18:07
Cast some bullets, it'll warm the cockles of your heart... your hands and nose too.

Jack

Jack the thought has been racing through my mind (not much to slow it down). I really know very little about it and have so many pokers in the fire, then on another hand a friend just got a big pile of casting equipment he dosn't want and is looking to dump cheap. He bought a lot of stuff at an estate sale and it came with it so it can be had cheap. decisions decisions. Must be cold and deap as heck up by you. Stay warm.

GioaJack
01-02-2010, 18:11
Jack the thought has been racing through my mind (not much to slow it down). I really know very little about it and have so many pokers in the fire, then on another hand a friend just got a big pile of casting equipment he dosn't want and is looking to dump cheap. He bought a lot of stuff at an estate sale and it came with it so it can be had cheap. decisions decisions. Must be cold and deap as heck up by you. Stay warm.

Read the post I just put up for C4W on '100 value pack... may answer some of your questions. He won't read it, he never reads anything I post... he hates me 'cause he's a Flatlander. :supergrin:

BTW... a bottle of Jim Beam may not warm you up but you won't care that it's cold.

Jack

unclebob
01-02-2010, 18:38
Well it has been snowing on and off and bellow 30 degrees here for the last month or so. I know it's nothing compared to what some of you have got, but it has me not shooting and not reloading. My reloading room/work shop is detached and not heated. Any good ways to put heat in it safe and effectively? Any body else getting bumed out over this wheather?

How big is it?

n2extrm
01-02-2010, 18:41
How big is it?

12 X 16 wood construction, plywood wood floor, uninsulated. I had a portable electric heater in it but it is too small. Guess I need to go bigger.

HAMMERHEAD
01-02-2010, 19:49
A few rolls of cheap insulation and plastic for a vapor barrier and that electric heater just might do the job.
My forecast for tonight calls for -19 degrees, will probably be the coldest night of the winter.
Stay warm!

Cody Jarrett
01-02-2010, 20:12
There are some decent electric heaters but if the garage has no insulation it will just stay cold. Living in the northeast I built my garage with heavy insulation and radiators for heat. Even so it's a bit chilly because of the gaps around the garage doors.

deerhunter34
01-02-2010, 20:13
This is my time to cheer on the Lee Hand Press or effectionally known on this forum as the Lee Thighmaster. I have the same weather issues. Don't want to go into the cold garage but I don't have to. I sit in the warm living room and watch tv and prep and load cases. You don't have to do everything with them but they will single stage handle all the loading functions. To me it is relaxing and passes the time. For the little money it costs it sure has a lot of options. Some will snub their noses at it, but I have found it to be a handy gagdet, especially for times like these.

fredj338
01-02-2010, 20:18
If you have a south facing wall & some sunshine, you can make a very effective solar heater on that wall (won't help too much at night though). Any bldg really needs to be well insulated to not lose the heat you put into it. A few dollars of insulation will go along way to keeping it habitable.
Even so it's a bit chilly because of the gaps around the garage doors.
Try about $20 worth of weather stripping.

n2extrm
01-02-2010, 20:55
Thanks guys. Yeah I guess insulation is top on the list. I have so much stuff hanging on the walls it is the work not the cost. Guess I gotta stop being so lazy!

PCJim
01-02-2010, 22:04
You should know that your greatest heat loss will be thru the ceiling/roof, not the walls, although there is loss there too. Maybe insulating the ceiling and using heat lamps or a radiant style heater instead is a space heater will do the trick.

My father uses a ceramic/radiant propane heater (mounts onto a 20# tank) to heat his 20x24 garage. Probably more expensive than electric heat but it will sure make the area "workable".

wavetrain75
01-03-2010, 08:41
I feel your pain. I despise the cold with a completely irrational hatred and it was badly cutting into any kind of project production. I finally got one of these:

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=46&id=28

Runs off a 20 pound barbecue bottle. I have an oversize two car garage and it raises the temperature 10-20 degrees an hour depending on how cold it is. I'd guess that a 12x16 shop would go from frozen cold to comfortable in less the 30 minutes. Get up in the morning and turn it on, it's as loud as a jet taking off, after breakfast you can turn it off and work in a warm shop. Well worth the price when you consider the work you can get done that would have been put off otherwise.

You could also look at the so-called Chinese hat or sunflower heaters, they would work well in a shop that size and they are quiet.

And yes, it would be worth it to insulate first.

unclebob
01-03-2010, 08:59
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=67445
I think this is what I would use so that it would be out of the way. But first I would like what has been said insulate first. Also if you can find some used carpet and pad, would help also. Depend on what else you do in the shop.

n2extrm
01-03-2010, 09:28
I am going to insulate starting today if I can get some time.

Can you insulate the roof rafters? I have no real ceiling it just goes up to the roof rafters and would prefer not to build a cieling. What should I use on the roof, non backed or something with a vapor barier? I have a propane heater that works, but I was scared to run a flame heater in an area where I am using powder and primers.

GioaJack
01-03-2010, 09:44
Run at least R-33 pink insulation with paper backing. Staple the sides to the rafters or use tension metal stays to hold it in place. (Stapling is easier and cheaper.

If you want to go through the trouble and expense you can staple a plastic vapor barrier to the bottom of the rafters after the insulation is in place. No real need to install a ceiling other than for a finished look and another layer of insulation.

If you have windows that are not finished with casings or other gaps open to the elements fill them with expanding foam. Very cheap, comes in a pressurized can and a little goes a very long way. (The stuff grows like the blob.)

If your floor is bare concrete get a cheap throw rug at Wally World, it'll keep you feet much warmer and be more comfortable to stand on.

If none of this helps move to Jamaica, you may not load much but you'll be smoking enough 'Ganja' that you won't care. :supergrin:

Jack

shotgunred
01-03-2010, 11:05
Read the post I just put up for C4W on '100 value pack... may answer some of your questions. He won't read it, he never reads anything I post... he hates me 'cause he's a Flatlander. :supergrin:

BTW... a bottle of Jim Beam may not warm you up but you won't care that it's cold.

Jack

Flatlander?

As far as I am concerned all you guys are highlanders.
I am at elevation 7'.

fredj338
01-03-2010, 12:13
I am going to insulate starting today if I can get some time.

Can you insulate the roof rafters? I have no real ceiling it just goes up to the roof rafters and would prefer not to build a cieling. What should I use on the roof, non backed or something with a vapor barier? I have a propane heater that works, but I was scared to run a flame heater in an area where I am using powder and primers.
Just don't put the heater near the powder/primer storage or your work area. The rafter insul alone will make a huge diff. Wall insul is nice but roof insul is mandatory IMO.

GioaJack
01-03-2010, 14:27
Flatlander?

As far as I am concerned all you guys are highlanders.
I am at elevation 7'.

I grew up at 7 feet elevation... Ft. Lauderdale. Although I'm not a Colorado native, I got here as quick as I could.:supergrin:

Jack

unclebob
01-03-2010, 15:59
The highest point in the State of Florida is only 345ft.

n2extrm
01-03-2010, 20:01
Well it was 19 degrees today, plus the wind chill. Or is it minus the wind chill? Any way took the advice and sealed all the cracks and gaps with expanding foam. Cleened out the area above so I can insulate the roof rafters, and starteed on tha walls. I only bought some R13 for the walls so it is 2 X 4 depth. I will get something heavier for the roof. I also packed up almost all the christmas decoration. Been a long cold day.

Thanks again guys.

Kentucky Shooter
01-04-2010, 05:59
Mine is in my garage which is unheated. I go out for short periods of time. It stays in the 40's in the garage during the winter which is actually better if you dress warmly than dealing with how hot it gets out there in the summer. I do use a small ceramic heater at times pointed at me from a few feet away.

Colorado4Wheel
01-04-2010, 08:04

Jack

:wavey:

Colorado4Wheel
01-04-2010, 08:13

First of Insulate EVERYTHING. Walls and cealing. You can borrow a machine for blowing insulation in the ceileing from Home Depot and Lowes if you buy a certian amount of insulation from them. Or use bats if you dont have drywall over your head. Then find out if you can get "clear gas/kerosene" It's meant for a heater. It's mostly disappeared now. Even the stuff with the red die is not that bad in a garage. This stuff will run a heater with a wick. Another option would be a wood stove. But it would need to be vented. I have a torpedo heater (kerosene) but it makes me sick so I can't recommend them. 4ft tall propane bottles with a simple heat attachment will also work. You have to haul around propane. Google "Propane Heater" you will se lots of options. Propane is something you can turn on and off quickly. It will cost you but will work pretty well.

OgenRwot
01-04-2010, 10:11
Here in western Colorado we shoot anyway! I did some reloading with my brother in his unheated garage and went and shot the next morning.

You can insulate your space pretty easily, lots of options there, and then use a good electric heater.

Uncle Don
01-04-2010, 19:34
Do you have 220 and a 30 amp (or even 20)?. My woodshop is 465 square feet but as others have said, I really insulated it well. It has R19 in the walls and R40 in the ceiling. The 17k electric heater hanging on the wall is on the third notch out of 10 and at -20 ambient temp (which it has been lately :wow:)it keeps it 50 - 54 degrees. In other words - the others are right, insulation is everything.

Colorado4Wheel
01-04-2010, 20:17
Here in western Colorado we shoot anyway! I did some reloading with my brother in his unheated garage and went and shot the next morning.

8am. With Pitt and Lizard. Should be just a little below freezing.

BK63
01-04-2010, 20:25
Most people feel like crap after the holidays. There is nothing to look forward to, in my case no more time off, cold lousy weather. Dark when you get up and dark when you get home. Just a lousy time of year. Thank god for my Dillons in the basement. I'm even digging out the old empties of stuff I don't normally shoot and loading up for anything I have components for. It's the only thing to do in the winter. As long as the weekends are not a blizzard I can take some cold for an hour or two at the range.

Glolt20-91
01-05-2010, 15:13
Most people feel like crap after the holidays. There is nothing to look forward to, in my case no more time off, cold lousy weather. Dark when you get up and dark when you get home. Just a lousy time of year. Thank god for my Dillons in the basement. I'm even digging out the old empties of stuff I don't normally shoot and loading up for anything I have components for. It's the only thing to do in the winter. As long as the weekends are not a blizzard I can take some cold for an hour or two at the range.

Beautiful time of the year, low 60s at 4400ft, bright sun with no clouds, garage doesn't need to be heated. Too much to do outside so not much time to reload.

Bob :cowboy:

PCJim
01-05-2010, 19:27
Ummmm........

Low 40's at 13ft! South Florida wasn't built for this kind of weather. Most homes have a minimal (if any!) heating system. Brrrrrrrr......

bush pilot
01-05-2010, 19:51
This is my time to cheer on the Lee Hand Press or effectionally known on this forum as the Lee Thighmaster. I have the same weather issues. Don't want to go into the cold garage but I don't have to. I sit in the warm living room and watch tv and prep and load cases. You don't have to do everything with them but they will single stage handle all the loading functions. To me it is relaxing and passes the time. For the little money it costs it sure has a lot of options. Some will snub their noses at it, but I have found it to be a handy gagdet, especially for times like these.

Not to mention you have arms like Popeye.

n2extrm
01-09-2010, 15:50
Well electric is very expensive where I am on LI. So I think propane is probabley cheaper then electric. Although the electric has some benefits too. I have 2 110 volt lines coming into the room, each one on its own 20 amp breaker. One is the lights and some outdoor electric, the other is outlets in the shop. I don't think I can get to crazy with the electric output. But I thank you all for the ideas.

I got back to this today, worked 7 am to 7 pm all week so I was too tired to work on it during the week. I got 2 batts of insulation up on the walls. I used the R13 because the lumber yard said anything heavier was a waste in a 2X4 wall. Going to try to wrap up the walls and start the roof in the AM. I also lit the "bomb" heater I have. One of the infared ones you put on a 20lbs propane tank and light with a match. It was pretty warm, but cooled off quick with only half the place insulated.

Well thanks again guys. I think this will help alot. Now I got to decide if I should sheet rock.

wavetrain75
01-09-2010, 18:37
...Well thanks again guys. I think this will help alot. Now I got to decide if I should sheet rock.

Sheetrock in a small building like that wouldn't take long. It would brighten the place up and keep the dust down a little, over time you'll get little fiberglass bunnies (as opposed to dust bunnies). I'm not a big fan of fiberglass dust. Be sure you put plastic over the insulation first.

If you happen to know a building contractor who is at the right point on a project they'd probably let you haul away scrap. Even a residential job would probably have enough larger scrap pieces to do your place.

mteagle1
01-11-2010, 09:50
When this post started it was a -18, yesterday it was 50. Wierd weather this year.

Colorado4Wheel
01-11-2010, 10:16
If you happen to know a building contractor who is at the right point on a project they'd probably let you haul away scrap. Even a residential job would probably have enough larger scrap pieces to do your place.

Not likely any longer. Cost are very tightly controlled now. My drywaller does not leave any scrap bigger then 4'X4'. Most are much smaller.

Insulate the walls yourself. It's not hard. Get a drywall dollie and hang the stuff yourself. Start on the ceiling of course and work your way up the walls after you hang the ceiling.

n2extrm
01-11-2010, 14:12
When this post started it was a -18, yesterday it was 50. Wierd weather this year.

Yeah Florida has frost, Texas snow I heard. I can't believe the NE is cold and snowy like we haven't seen in years. This weekend they are forcasting middle 40's! Well at least it will be good weather to work on insulation, or better yet get out and shoot! :supergrin:

n2extrm
01-11-2010, 14:15
Not likely any longer. Cost are very tightly controlled now. My drywaller does not leave any scrap bigger then 4'X4'. Most are much smaller.

Insulate the walls yourself. It's not hard. Get a drywall dollie and hang the stuff yourself. Start on the ceiling of course and work your way up the walls after you hang the ceiling.

yeah my brother is a plumber, mostly new construction. No body tosses anything any more. I may look for some culls, or what ever they call those pieces with broken corners and edges. I really do not shop home depot and lowes, but I know they used to put them in a pile cheap. The room is small, so it should not take much. I figure I could use what ever is cheap like 3/8 since it is non attached non living space. No code issues or anything of the sort.

PCJim
01-11-2010, 21:37
Yeah, I'll say this is some wierd weather. We reached a lowly 34 degrees on my weather station overnight here in south Florida. Needless-to-say, the tourists aren't very happy!