Aluminum mags, or blackened stainless? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum mags, or blackened stainless?

Vigilant
01-02-2010, 19:38
I have about decided to pick up a new M&P15 to keep the PTR-91 company. Looking at mags, and C-Products seems to be a good name on this forum. I found some new blackened stainless 30-round mags at CDNN on sale for $9.99 each, or aluminum for $7.99 each. Which is the best route to go, and am I correct in assuming that these C-Products mags will function and hold up well?

Thanks.

faawrenchbndr
01-02-2010, 19:42
I've had good luck with CProducts mags

furioso2112
01-02-2010, 19:50
Not to add a wrench to your thought process, but have you considered PMags? All the rage right now, and seem to be very robust. There are great deals a lot of places (Palmetto State Armory (a sponsor here) for one, $10 each IIRC - the 'non M revision' model, but those are still fine - just the cap won't fit the bottom - if you look into a bit, this will make sense). There are many links to some impressive independent torture tests on them.

Alaskapopo
01-02-2010, 19:53
I have about decided to pick up a new M&P15 to keep the PTR-91 company. Looking at mags, and C-Products seems to be a good name on this forum. I found some new blackened stainless 30-round mags at CDNN on sale for $9.99 each, or aluminum for $7.99 each. Which is the best route to go, and am I correct in assuming that these C-Products mags will function and hold up well?

Thanks.

Pmags my friend. I have had mixed results with C Products mags. Their 9mm mags sucked the big one. The .223 mags are hit or miss. If you don't like Pmags I would go with Brownells mags.
Pat

Hedo1
01-02-2010, 19:54
They all run about the same honestly. I have dozens of PMAGS and Lancers and they are great. Have about 30 aluminum mags and haven't had a problem with them either. All told I have about 75 AR mags and couldn't tell you who made a bunch of them and don't worry about it either. I buy the ones that are a good deal and stock up on them.

Can't go wrong with the Lancers or PMAGS in my opinion.

halfmoonclip
01-02-2010, 19:58
USGI is just fine.
Moon

Alaskapopo
01-02-2010, 20:02
They all run about the same honestly. I have dozens of PMAGS and Lancers and they are great. Have about 30 aluminum mags and haven't had a problem with them either. All told I have about 75 AR mags and couldn't tell you who made a bunch of them and don't worry about it either. I buy the ones that are a good deal and stock up on them.

Can't go wrong with the Lancers or PMAGS in my opinion.

There are some bad mags out there. We got some alluminum mags for the department that were not teflon coated. They would not feed even with ball in our department guns. After that I was able to talk the Chief into P mags despite the higher cost. There are junk mags out there. But your right about Lancer and Pmags being good. So are a lot of GI mags. But stick with the good ones with teflon cloating. Hence why I recommended the Brownells mags. I got 2 mags from C Products for T&E they were the stainless ones. One lasted for a while and did fine. The other one died early from a cracked feed lip. USGI mags work but they are the least durable of the mags mentioned and have the shortest service life.
Link to brownells mags.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=21225/Product/AR_15_M16_20____30_ROUND_MAGAZINES

furioso2112
01-02-2010, 20:07
Seems like Brownell's recently had a special price on their mags...might still be going on. I deleted the e-mail already...although thier best prices are with a mil/LEO discount. Seems lots of places stock-piled mags due to the rush last winter/spring and are now running specials on them.

Javelin
01-02-2010, 20:10
I finally went the Pmag route and I am never going back to stainless or aluminum again.

Vigilant
01-02-2010, 22:56
Thank you, gentlemen. I appreciate your input. Pmag it is, with a few 7.99 teflon-coated C-Products just for the heck of it.

Does anyone know what the LE discount is with Brownell's? I have heard that as a CO, I would qualify.

Alaskapopo
01-02-2010, 22:59
Thank you, gentlemen. I appreciate your input. Pmag it is, with a few 7.99 teflon-coated C-Products just for the heck of it.

Does anyone know what the LE discount is with Brownell's? I have heard that as a CO, I would qualify.

The discount varies from product to product. Some things don't get discounted because the manufacturer won't allow it. You do qualify as a CO.
Pat

Vigilant
01-02-2010, 23:44
The discount varies from product to product. Some things don't get discounted because the manufacturer won't allow it. You do qualify as a CO.
Pat

Thanks again, Pat. I know it's not all a bed of roses up that way, but I envy you, living in Alaska. The two things I miss the most about the PNW... are the trout fishing, and the wide open spaces. You certainly have both bases covered up your way.

MrMurphy
01-03-2010, 00:08
I believe Brownells has the new USGI contract for magazines.

But PMags are the answer. If you have to go USGI, Colt, Okay Industries, and a few others are known and trusted.

Vigilant
01-03-2010, 00:14
Thanks, Murph. Hope all is well with you.

RMTactical
01-03-2010, 01:10
CProducts are hit or miss. I prefer PMAG's.

lawman800
01-03-2010, 03:59
Thanks... I just bought 2 of each C-mag, blackened and stainless. The stainless looks really cool with that bright orange follower though. Maybe I can tape it to the muzzle and OC it in a state park?:whistling:

Oh... before everyone jumps on me with recommendations, I have 3 Pmags and a Lancer too.