My Springfield Loaded, I Dunno..... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My Springfield Loaded, I Dunno.....

mnhogrider
01-02-2010, 21:08
I purchased a new one about 6 weeks ago and have put about 400 rounds through it so far:
The first range trip (100 rounds) the rear night sight comes loose and sliding back and forth. I tighten set screw. Next range trip it comes loose every second mag. I get home and blue locktite the set screw and now it's holding OK.
Today I'm shooting and about 40 rounds into it, I noice the front night sight is looking "pointed". I clear it and take a closer look. There is a small roll pin on top of the front sight working it's way up and out. So I quit shooting it as I don't want to loose the roll pin. I get home and RED locktite it and tap it back in and try to spike it a bit as well so it doesn't work it's way out again.

I'm not impressed with any pistol that has s**t trying to fly off of it every time I shoot it.

It also has a hard trigger pull that I was hoping would loosen up and get a little easier as it breaks in. It don't look that way though.

The Springfield Loaded is supposed to be "upgraded" blah, blah, blah.

I'm thinking it's a bunch of BS.

I've got a Bersa Thunder .380 I paid a little over 200 bucks for that I have 1K + rounds through. Nothing's ever come loose on it.

Anyway, my first 1911 experience aint real good so far.

gwl
01-02-2010, 21:48
Sorry to hear about you bad experience with your new SA Loaded. Guess one slipped through the QC but that should not be an excuse. You should contact their customer service and let them now about this and have them correct it.

schiffer99
01-02-2010, 23:02
Well let me say first that due to my springfield loyalty I suspect you are a plant from the evil kimber company... good try sir.... but tell Kimber we all know the schwartz safety was developed by communists.

But, if aren't a plant, you are lucky to have a product from the company with the best customer service in the industry. Give them a call, tell them your problems and I promise you they will get solved. Don't let this experience sour of you 1911's or Springfield Armory. Once you get a 1911 that is set up righteous you'll understand what "it" is about 1911's... and all other guns will just seem like peices of plastic :supergrin:

krunchnik
01-03-2010, 11:02
I have a Springer compact thats 12 years old and the only thing loose on it is the guy shooting it,Springers are quality and the company will make it right.:supergrin:

coal
01-03-2010, 13:06
... rear night sight comes loose ... front night sight ... small roll pin on top of the front sight working it's way up and out ... I'm not impressed with any pistol that has s**t trying to fly off of it every time I shoot it.

It also has a hard trigger pull ....

The Springfield Loaded is supposed to be "upgraded" blah, blah, blah.

I'm thinking it's a bunch of BS.

Anyway, my first 1911 experience aint real good so far.

Is that an "N" series serial number? Just curious. My observation in handling, and many agree, has been that the "NM" series is better finished overall.

I owned a SA Mil-Spec and and "N" series Loaded. I like the SA brand based on price/value overall. And, I think the Mil-Spec is the better value (at ~$450 used). I pretty much think the (parkerized) Loaded is a ~$600 1911.

mnhogrider
01-03-2010, 18:29
Is that an "N" series serial number? Just curious. My observation in handling, and many agree, has been that the "NM" series is better finished overall.

I owned a SA Mil-Spec and and "N" series Loaded. I like the SA brand based on price/value overall. And, I think the Mil-Spec is the better value (at ~$450 used). I pretty much think the (parkerized) Loaded is a ~$600 1911.

It's an N series prefix. Parkerized.

Oh yeah, the two piece guide rod always shoots loose as well. Guess that need some Locktite too.

coal
01-03-2010, 19:20

Oh yeah, the two piece guide rod always shoots loose as well. Guess that need some Locktite too.

I figured that was an "N" serial number Loaded. :upeyes:

I quickly replaced my FLGR with the GI setup, as I do with any FLGR 1911.

I'd buy another SA, but only an "NM" serial number, unless I scored an "N" series LNIB around $500 as I did with my SA Loaded. Otherwise, I'll pay more to get a "better" gun, or less to get a Mil-Spec.

jsanti13
01-03-2010, 20:36
Based off of your choice of comparison for a 1911 VS Bersa;

Yes the 1911 was more than the Bersa and may be expensive for you.
For me the model of 1911 you have is not even close to a good representative 1911.
I believe the basic Springfield model is a better pistol than the loaded.
The loaded was a low cost put together to chase Kimber when they came out with their model of 1911's. Kimber changed the playing field at that time and Springfield was drug along for the ride.
Now Springfield is on top of their game but still sell the low cost introduction loaded model, because the low price with some of the features is desireable for people just getting into 1911's and feel that the basic model is not up to snuff.
The basic models are excellent for building into a custom pistol the Loaded models are not as desireable and will cost more to custom build on.

I had a Bersa 380 and the trigger return spring crapped out on me at 1200 rounds. I still don't consider Bersa crap.

You need to understand what a pistol is; it is a tool and you need to choose the best tool for you and know its limitations. Once you understand this you will not be so disapointed.

Don't get me wrong I'd be upset if that stuff was happening with a pistol I paid for; but knowing where the Loaded models sit on as far as good pistols I would not be too crazy upset.

Chances are your pistol was getting sights installed when lunch time came around.
This is a worker problem that the company needs to stay on top of before it becomes a company image problem.

Call Springfield, give them your pistol serial number and complaint.
Make the experience for the next person better than your experience.
Help American companies get better product out of their doors, all our jobs in North America depend on it.

mnhogrider
01-04-2010, 10:27
I figured that was an "N" serial number Loaded. :upeyes:

I quickly replaced my FLGR with the GI setup, as I do with any FLGR 1911.

I'd buy another SA, but only an "NM" serial number, unless I scored an "N" series LNIB around $500 as I did with my SA Loaded. Otherwise, I'll pay more to get a "better" gun, or less to get a Mil-Spec.

Tell me about guide rod update. I'm assuming the two piece rod is replaced with a one piece rod?

mnhogrider
01-04-2010, 10:54
Based off of your choice of comparison for a 1911 VS Bersa;

Yes the 1911 was more than the Bersa and may be expensive for you.
For me the model of 1911 you have is not even close to a good representative 1911.
I believe the basic Springfield model is a better pistol than the loaded.
The loaded was a low cost put together to chase Kimber when they came out with their model of 1911's. Kimber changed the playing field at that time and Springfield was drug along for the ride.
Now Springfield is on top of their game but still sell the low cost introduction loaded model, because the low price with some of the features is desireable for people just getting into 1911's and feel that the basic model is not up to snuff.
The basic models are excellent for building into a custom pistol the Loaded models are not as desireable and will cost more to custom build on.

I had a Bersa 380 and the trigger return spring crapped out on me at 1200 rounds. I still don't consider Bersa crap.

You need to understand what a pistol is; it is a tool and you need to choose the best tool for you and know its limitations. Once you understand this you will not be so disapointed.

Don't get me wrong I'd be upset if that stuff was happening with a pistol I paid for; but knowing where the Loaded models sit on as far as good pistols I would not be too crazy upset.
Chances are your pistol was getting sights installed when lunch time came around.
This is a worker problem that the company needs to stay on top of before it becomes a company image problem.

Call Springfield, give them your pistol serial number and complaint.
Make the experience for the next person better than your experience.
Help American companies get better product out of their doors, all our jobs in North America depend on it.

I should have stayed with my original plan an get a Mil-Spec, but I got a good deal on the Loaded. Well, I thought I did.

I'm not "crazy upset" or very disapointed. I DO think that lack of quality workmanship is inexcusable. I understand mechanical things are made by man and that things can go wrong. My interests in pistols has always been the engineering, design and function over everything else. There's a lot going on when I pull the trigger. They are mechanical marvels, IMO.

I hate to have to think that American made things are of poor quality, but I'm experiencing more and more of this.

Let me tell you about my Cadillac STS.

No, I better not start.

mplecha
01-04-2010, 14:20
mine has been perfect for 2k+ rounds. I didn't think the ambi safety would make it this long, but it has (thank goodness - I'm a lefty).

by the way, the 'N' serial numbered guns are assembled in Brazil whereas the NM guns are assembled and fit the the US.

SIGShooter
01-04-2010, 15:04
OP,

It sucks that you are having problems with you SA.

I highly recommend that you contact SA customer service and let them know of the issues.

I will say that they are and have, one of the BEST customer services out there. They will fix what is wrong.

When (If you do) send it in, ask them to change out your 2 piece guide rod with a GI setup. I'll bet they do it without question.

Good luck with your Springer.

coal
01-04-2010, 21:14
Tell me about guide rod update. I'm assuming the two piece rod is replaced with a one piece rod?

The full length guide rod is replaced with the original GI setup (i.e. not full length). Makes takedown easier and will not change function of gun. Win-win IMO. You'll need the short GI rod (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=287729) and the closed-end plug (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=115464)... about $11 in parts.

okie
01-05-2010, 01:20

Fix that with the GI guide rod my friend:supergrin::wavey:

hikerpaddler
01-05-2010, 06:35
Loaded's are normally fine weapons. I have yet to have a single problem (or part or pin come loose) on mine, after over 1000 rounds. Send it back and have them make it right.

Narkcop
01-05-2010, 07:26
I love my SA loaded 1911 with parkerized finish. I been carrying it & a S&W 1911 scandium commander, to save a little wear and tear on my more expensive 1911's.

mnhogrider
01-05-2010, 08:48
The full length guide rod is replaced with the original GI setup (i.e. not full length). Makes takedown easier and will not change function of gun. Win-win IMO. You'll need the short GI rod (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=287729) and the closed-end plug (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=115464)... about $11 in parts.

Thanks for this info, coal. Looks like this is the thing to do and get rid of the two piece guide rod.

zdragon23c
01-05-2010, 10:15

i totally agreed.

Bill Lumberg
01-05-2010, 12:06
The loaded's are excellent guns, with about 800 dollars worth of mods over a base gun (by Springfield Custom Shop rates). They cost no more to further modify than a base gun with the same upgrades as a loaded. Depending upon how much further you want to upgrade a gun than the features included on a loaded, you have to figure out where you want to end up and factor in the cost of the new gun and the work you want done to figure out the most direct path.