is my barrel OK?!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : is my barrel OK?!!

TrueGunNut
01-02-2010, 21:10
Running some Hoppes copper solvent through the old bullet hose tonight (mak90) and then checked out my work with a bore light.

Everything was nice and shiny but I noticed what looked like a little "nick" in the middle of the barrel. It does not appear to be in the rifling path.

Is my barrel OK? Will it shoot just the same? I have probably smelled too much hoppes products tonight and am just going insane.

Thank ya.

SKYWLKR
01-02-2010, 21:40
is it the gas port?

Nicoroshi
01-02-2010, 22:15
is it the gas port?
My first thought as well.

TrueGunNut
01-03-2010, 08:01
what does that look like? I am looking down the barrel with my bore light shining down. Rifling is picture perfect. A little more than half way down the barrel there is a little cut. It makes me think my metal cleaning rod somehow scraped across the inside? I'll try and get a picture...

Mofeen
01-03-2010, 08:42
Not to hijack, but speaking of cleaning rods, is brass okay to use in a chrome lined barrel?

Glockdude1
01-03-2010, 08:48
Not to hijack, but speaking of cleaning rods, is brass okay to use in a chrome lined barrel?

Not a problem.

Jack Greenwell
01-03-2010, 08:48
what does that look like? I am looking down the barrel with my bore light shining down. Rifling is picture perfect. A little more than half way down the barrel there is a little cut. It makes me think my metal cleaning rod somehow scraped across the inside? I'll try and get a picture...

At first look the gas port looks like a small hole in the top of the barrel, you should be able to see it so if you only see one hole its fine. The gas port is in line with the top of the barrel (12 noon).

TrueGunNut
01-03-2010, 09:01
Was unable to take a photograph down the barrel. This is not a circular hole. I don't believe it is the gasport, it looks too much like a gash from a metal cleaning rod.

It looks more like a little scrape. Should I buy a new mak90 barrel? ...

TrueGunNut
01-03-2010, 09:11
UPDATE! That is definitely the gasport. I took another look at it. It IS circular shaped and a few inches down the muzzle end. Placed between the rifling on the top part of the inside of the barrel. Thanks for your help guys.

I learned something.

Glockdude1
01-03-2010, 09:55
It looks more like a little scrape. Should I buy a new mak90 barrel? ...

Mak-90 barrels are availible, but just to have the barrel changed, would cost more than the barrel.

Glad to hear your barrel is OK.

:cool: