What did I just buy? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What did I just buy?

Mr_C
01-02-2010, 22:47
A while pack I picked up a DPMS complete lower as a trade for a gun I didn't want. I have been waiting to get an upper for it, and found a good deal at the gun show today on one that seems to be in nice shape so I bought it. I don't know who made it, but honestly, I would have bought it with whatever name was on it, so that didn't make a lot of a difference. This is my first AR.

Now, I am wondering exactly what I got. The only marking on the receiver is on the handle there is a raised triangle thing that looks much like an "A" but the top triangle of the A is separate. The only markings on the barrel are "C MP (with the P using the same line as the M) 5.56 NATO 1/7".

Looks to have minimum use. I put it on my lower and it cycles fine. I am going to wait till daylight to test fire it, but I don't see any issues at this point.

Anyone recognize it or have any details? (I realize the pic doesn't help identify, but it does make the thread more interesting)

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f263/riveroakranch/toys/AR15.jpg

lawman800
01-03-2010, 04:53
Take a closeup pic of the logos you described.

Range Rat
01-03-2010, 07:37
Please give us an update on your range session today. I am interested to hear about it. Always a great feeling to get a good deal on something of quality.

Mr_C
01-03-2010, 10:11
My Range session this morning was Short. It hit 29.7 degrees below zero up at my place last night, so it is just cold. It was up to about 20 below when I went out to test the gun (technically, when I stepped on the back porch, shot, and then went right back in). I fired a single round through it and it seemed to cycle fine. I put 2 in the Mag and they both shot flawlessly. Woo Hoo! On a side note, boy does sound travel at -20 degrees, the sound was echoing from everywhere.

Here are a couple more pics, I also took a closer pic of the handguard, just in case it was something different or identifying.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f263/riveroakranch/toys/logoSM.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f263/riveroakranch/toys/handguardSM.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f263/riveroakranch/toys/barrelSM.jpg

Now that I have shot it and know everything works, I guess it is time to get to know cleaning and lubing it. :-)

MySiK26
01-03-2010, 10:59
I'm thinking the upper is from a military surplus rifle purchased through the Civilian Marksmanship Program? Just a guess though :dunno: They have two offices, one at CMP North, Camp Perry, OH. and CMP South, Anniston, AL.

greyghost556
01-03-2010, 11:27
It's a Colt barrel 20" A2 rifle upper, looks like a nice piece, the "C" is Colts barrel stamp "MP" means it's magnetic particle tested, as all good barrels are, 5.56 NATO chamber means it will fire 5.56 and .223 without issue. 1/7 is the twist rate

keninnavarre
01-03-2010, 11:44
I just assembled an upper similar to what you have. Heres a pic from PK Arms, of the upper, and a description. You can see the "A" near the rear sight.
http://www.pkfirearms.com/product_images/0000/1213/item_83.jpg

"Category: Upper Receivers A1/C7 Upper Receiver Complete with A1 sights, forward assist and dust cover.
NO M4 RAMPS
Our Price: each $145.00 "

Heres a older link from GT on the C MP markings.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=962680

Info about forge markings, borrowed from a popular AR15 site-

Splintered A is: Anchor Harvey
Key Hole is: Cerro Forge
F keyhole is: FNMI / Cerro Forge
Offset Square is: Brass Aluminum Forging
LMT is: No Forge Marks, but marked LMT or L is: LMT
AF is: Alcoa Forge
C AF is: Colt Alco Forge
C MB is: Colt / Mueller Brass
? is: Cardinal Forge "Not sure what their design is?
CH is: Colt Harvey Aluminum
Crosshairs w/"AR" is: ArmaLite
CK is: Colt / Kaiser Aluminum
CM is: Colt / Martin Marietta
D is: Diemaco
DK is: Diemaco / Kaiser Aluminum
E is: Emco
EK is: EMCO/Kaiser
E MB is: EMCO/Mueller Brass
FA is: FNMI / Anchor Harvey
FK is: FNMI / Kaiser Aluminum
FM is: FN/Martin Marietta
FMB is: FNMI / Mueller Brass
LK is: LAR / Kaiser Aluminum
LM is: LAR / Martin Marietta
M "diamond" is: Mueller Industries
PA is: Capco / Anchor Harvey
PM is: Capco / Martin Marietta

MySiK26
01-03-2010, 12:03
kevin thanks for linking that thread, great info.:wavey:

Mr_C
01-03-2010, 14:40
You guys are great. So, it is safe to say that its a colt barrel, would that lead one to assume that it is a colt upper also, or would I expect other colt markings on the upper if its a colt? I went out to PK Firearms as keninnavarre suggested and thier A2 upper looks exactly like the one I have, but I don't know who manufactures that one or if it is something specifically from them.

I am pretty happy with my purchase now though. A colt barrel is better than I was expecting, and it fits and functions very well. Not too bad for a $285 upper.

Is there any way to tell if it is a chrome lined barrel? It appears from the linked thread that older Colt barrels were not, but newer are. I don't really know the age of this one, but I am guessing by condition it isn't too old. The story I got from the guy selling it at the gun show (private party) was that it was his roommates, but when his roommate ended up moving back to Canada he couldn't take it with him. The guy I bought it from had never shot it and didn't know much of anything about it. He had no other AR stuff on his table.

Thanks again!

lawman800
01-03-2010, 20:43
I'm thinking the upper is from a military surplus rifle purchased through the Civilian Marksmanship Program? Just a guess though :dunno: They have two offices, one at CMP North, Camp Perry, OH. and CMP South, Anniston, AL.

The CMP never sold anything more recent than the M1 Carbine or Garand. They put out a notice that they will NEVER sell the M14, so don't even pray for any M16s out of there. The government would rather destroy the stockpile than sell them to us... they already did it with reloadable brass from the military.