removal of an AR-15 barrel? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : removal of an AR-15 barrel?

NRA_guy
01-03-2010, 09:49
Can anybody point me to a video on removal of an AR-15 barrel?

I find plenty of videos on disassembly of the lower and bolt, and removal of the handguard.

Thanks.

bdh_1
01-03-2010, 11:07
Look on Brownells site. They've got a bunch of videos on there.

TKM
01-03-2010, 11:22
AR15.com has a whole forum for build it yourself activities that should have what you are looking for.

NRA_guy
01-03-2010, 19:14
Thanks guys.

I had already been all over AR15.COM. (I post there occasionally.) I should have mentioned that. If they have it, I can't find it.

And the Brownell's site has some "how to assemble" videos---but not how to disassemble. I will watch them again. It may help some. Of course Brownell's wants me to buy a bunch of their special tools---something I prefer to avoid if possible.

I know, "disassembly is the reverse"...

Thanks again.

PeteCamp
01-03-2010, 19:39
Of course Brownell's wants me to buy a bunch of their special tools---something I prefer to avoid if possible.

You won't get many AR's apart without a proper receiver clamp and barrel wrench. Just won't happen. Matter of fact, the only one I can take apart without them is my teaching mule that has a hand-tightened barrel nut. Invest in the tools.

ETA: There are some excellent DVD's available. You should get one and study it if you are a first-timer. On AR15.com look in the stickys in the Build It Yourself forum.

NRA_guy
01-03-2010, 20:07
Thanks. I think I will just pay a local professional gunsmith to do it.

He said he would thread the barrel for about $75---but charge me less if I just brought him the bare barrel.

I had bought this useless book:

"Gun Digest Book of the AR-15" by Patrick Sweeney

faawrenchbndr
01-03-2010, 20:21
Go to the link below and look for:

Changing your own AR15 barrel for dummies

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

duncan
01-03-2010, 22:10

I was just going to point him there.

The key is to buy all of the right tools first - even though this gunsmith will thread for you.

1. AR-15 action blocks - upper and lower

2. Barrel wrench - if YHM then theirs otherwise DPMS or other multi-tool is fine.

3. Shop vise - 4" minimum attached to a solid bench

4. Handguard removal tool is nice for stubborn handguards too.

duncan
01-03-2010, 22:14
You won't get many AR's apart without a proper receiver clamp and barrel wrench. Just won't happen. Matter of fact, the only one I can take apart without them is my teaching mule that has a hand-tightened barrel nut. Invest in the tools.

ETA: There are some excellent DVD's available. You should get one and study it if you are a first-timer. On AR15.com look in the stickys in the Build It Yourself forum.

He's right. Nowadays it is getting harder to find gunsmiths and when you do - too many of them are slow to do the work, expensive, and sometimes with attitude when you question something.

Like the Glock, the AR-15 is really basic and some time over on the Build forum at AR15.com would really enlighten.

For the price of two AR-15 gunsmith jobs - you can buy the same tools they use AND do most jobs yourself and save $$$ for more gear, accessories or ammo.

Threading a barrel really requires investment and experience with a lathe. But most other jobs can be DIY - why does Brownells make so much $$$$ selling gunsmithing tools?

Something to think about because after a while, AR-15 collections grow. And it becomes cost-prohibitive if you want to move free float tubes or triggers around.

NRA_guy
01-04-2010, 06:00

Thanks!

That's exactly what I was searching for.

AR15.com is hard for me to navigate.

Thanks again, faawrenchbndr.

Looks like I'll be buying some more tools.