What do you do with leftovers? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with leftovers?

NeverMore1701
01-03-2010, 12:09
You know, the odds and ends that end up being replaced and upgraded along the way? I tried to avoid it with my nearly completed build, but I still ended up with a set of standard midlength handguards, a trigger guard, carbine endplate, A2 pistol grip, and charging handle. Not enough to start another build around, but I'd feel kinda bad just throwing it away :dunno:

Polak
01-03-2010, 12:28
Keep them and eventually someone will be looking for pieces. You can sell them or give them away.

Jon_R
01-03-2010, 12:34
You know, the odds and ends that end up being replaced and upgraded along the way? I tried to avoid it with my nearly completed build, but I still ended up with a set of standard midlength handguards, a trigger guard, carbine endplate, A2 pistol grip, and charging handle. Not enough to start another build around, but I'd feel kinda bad just throwing it away :dunno:

Before I get to the point of throwing them away I bring them to my 3-Gun match put a sign out saying they are free and take what you want.

Things like standard hand guards or A2 pistol grips I know I will never use. The reason they are extra is I didn't want them or I replaced them. :)

why
01-03-2010, 12:38
Yeah, as above.
I have lots of stuff that friends know they can help themselves to.
I have also left stuff on a table at the entrance to gunshows with a note to take it if you can use it.

mvician
01-03-2010, 13:32
Duh? Build another rifle out of them. :rofl:

NeverMore1701
01-03-2010, 13:56
Duh? Build another rifle out of them. :rofl:

Problem is, I wouldn't use any of these parts on another build :crying:

HAIL CAESAR
01-03-2010, 14:00
I keep all the old parts. Before you know it you have enough to build a complete rifle..

Jon_R
01-03-2010, 14:06
I keep all the old parts. Before you know it you have enough to build a complete rifle..

I would be trying to build a rifle about of a bin full of A2 Pistol grips and carbine handguards. I don't usually have unused BCGs or Barrels. :)

NeverMore1701
01-03-2010, 14:21
I would be trying to build a rifle about of a bin full of A2 Pistol grips and carbine handguards. I don't usually have unused BCGs or Barrels. :)

Try harder! :rofl:

mvician
01-03-2010, 14:22
Problem is, I wouldn't use any of these parts on another build :crying:

That's what I thought :supergrin:.......you still build a rifle out of them and upgrade those parts again. :rofl: it's a never ending cycle. How do you think I would up with 13 of them, and enough parts to probably put 2 more together. :faint:

NeverMore1701
01-03-2010, 14:27
Let me put it this way. I started my current build around the end of last February. It has been "functional" for several months now, but won't be "complete" for another couple of months. That puts me at right at a year to build EXACTLY what I want, with the parts I want, on my college student/retail job budget. A handful of unwanted parts isn't going to make a dent in another build, unfortunately (as much as I want to start on a BCM 11.5" pistol and then slap a stock on it when I can manage to get an SBR stamp).

mvician
01-03-2010, 14:31
Well then you can either sell off those few pieces or give them away. :dunno:

NeverMore1701
01-03-2010, 14:32
I've tried, but I don't have any local friends who are into ARs, and the parts aren't really worth the shipping individually :shrug:

phxfa
01-03-2010, 16:13
Ive got 3 Vltor E-mod stocks that Ive replaced with LMT SOPMODS,
What are they worth?

mvician
01-03-2010, 16:16
What are they worth?

Knock $25 off of the price of a new one. It will sell.

LLL
01-03-2010, 17:43
i heard that LLL was looking for leftover parts, I also heard hes a good guy :wavey:

g21owner
01-03-2010, 19:59
I wouldnt mind taking the charging handle off your hands:whistling:Almost done with my build all i need is a CH and rear BUIS. Unfortunately it may be a while before its finished because im kinda poor at the moment:crying:

RMTactical
01-03-2010, 21:34
They will come in handy eventually. I can pretty much promise you that. Maybe not all of it, but some of it for sure.

I have had AR15 parts that I thought would never do me any good. I just threw them in a box. Eventually they led me to building another AR15 because I had built up so many excess parts, I decided "why not?"

I have also used them to finish up other builds, keep around as spares, or help others finish up builds.

lawman800
01-04-2010, 02:41
What are they worth?

Got pics? I'll take one if the price is right.

As for leftovers? Put them in a box and store them. You never know when you'll need the spares or when someone might need something.

You say you won't need them now, but when the gungrabbers come after you, and the gun parts start drying up when they run the manufacturers out of business, any extra parts are parts you have to keep the gun running. If you already paid for them and they are there, it doesn't cost more to keep them and you said it's not even worth selling. So it's no net loss.

I have a complete SP-1 upper and A2 buttstock along with a few other little parts here and there, including a new unused Hogue overmoulded freefloat handguard for 20" barrel rifles. Bought it, figured out it won't fit my gun. What the hell, I can jerry rig that thing to my 10/22.

TrooperBrian
01-04-2010, 05:37
I just put them all in a box, and eventually I've sold most of them..

duncan
01-04-2010, 10:04
Unless you have a $50 plus dollar part, the $8-9 shipping usually dilutes the reason for selling it.

Now if you want to start trading, that makes more sense.

Funny but about nine months ago, I sold a YHM carbine quad FF forearm, and now I could have used it for a current build.

Funny but with nice parts, you might as well hold them for your future builds :dunno:

vafish
01-04-2010, 10:10
I toss the leftover parts in a drawer of an old filling cabinet in my gun room (wife says it's her laundry room but what does she know?).

Every time I've thrown away old gun parts I've needed the part within 6 months.