Dan Wesson discontinuing quite a few models in 2010 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dan Wesson discontinuing quite a few models in 2010

glock2740
01-03-2010, 17:11
Was looking at their website and noticed they are discontinuing quite a few models in 2010. I thought the Pointman and the CBOB were good sellers. Looks the VBOB will be the new bobtailed 4.25". It also looks like it will be about twice the price as the CBOB too. I've always liked the CBOB in 10mm. Sad to see it go.

willis68
01-03-2010, 17:12
They were a bargain, not anymore you can buy a Les Baer for what some of their 2010 models cost :shocked:

bac1023
01-03-2010, 17:24
Hopefully, they aren't overpricing themselves.

Apparently, they're trying to move their whole image and product line up market.

glock2740
01-03-2010, 17:54
That's OK to try to compete in the higher end market with their Valor line, but they are going to lose alot of sales by dropping those other models. The CBOB is a pretty popular gun, as well as several of their other models. It's just kind of dissapointing to see a move like that, especially in this economy.

jsanti13
01-03-2010, 20:00
Like everyone else thay are looking to get a premium price for their product.
If they are not careful they'll price themselves out of the market all together.

I hope they survive, but with the cost of everything going up and unemployment going up higher at a faster rate, I'm a bit nervous for North American companies.

mikegun
01-03-2010, 21:29
Like everyone else thay are looking to get a premium price for their product.
If they are not careful they'll price themselves out of the market all together.

I hope they survive, but with the cost of everything going up and unemployment going up higher at a faster rate, I'm a bit nervous for North American companies.

in my opinion they just did,,

Cobra64
01-04-2010, 00:32
Hopefully, they aren't overpricing themselves.

Apparently, they're trying to move their whole image and product line up market.

They may be with the parts upgrades.

On the other hand, if production capacity is inelestic, then it's a smart business move to price the product to equalize demand to production capacity. Profits go up with the same amount of overhead.

Valor example:

1) Little is being changed
2) Demand exceeded supply enormously in the past
3) Valor price increase will reduce demand to production capacity equlibrium
4) Margins increase

If my observations are accurate and assumptions valid; it's smart business.

As for the "California only" offerings, Sig has been producing P226STs for the California market for years and not listed them in their catalog, nor on their web site. But dealers can get them and ship to anywhere in the US (except maybe Mass or NY).

GVFlyer
01-04-2010, 01:46
Nice example of a business model, but with their new upstream pricing CZ has moved Dan Wesson completely off my radar - it has become a cost for value received issue.

At the new Dan Wesson pricing I would be better served to acquire another Les Baer.

Cobra64
01-04-2010, 01:59
Nice example of a business model, but with their new upstream pricing CZ has moved Dan Wesson completely off my radar - it has become a cost for value received issue.

At the new Dan Wesson pricing I would be better served to acquire another Les Baer.Probably a wise move for you. ;)

Whiskey Six
01-04-2010, 02:52
Will the Dan Wesson name one day be synonymous with Baer, Wilson and Brown? Will paying $1800 for a DW be normal and unquestioned? I guess time will tell...

Cobra64
01-04-2010, 03:31
Will the Dan Wesson name one day be synonymous with Baer, Wilson and Brown? Will paying $1800 for a DW be normal and unquestioned? I guess time will tell...

I think you're right. Market forces will ultimately decide DW's future.

kirgi08
01-04-2010, 04:28
Supply-v-Demand.'08.

Cobra64
01-04-2010, 04:36
Supply-v-Demand.'08.

'08? That's more than a year ago. We're in 2010 now. You need a more current calndar. :)

kirgi08
01-04-2010, 05:10
Ya,I know Cobra.It's still true though.'08.

BOGE
01-05-2010, 09:37
With the economy in the tank I think it is a bad move. Then again I am not a CFO for a gun company. It takes a lot of work and money to transform a Chevy image into a Ferrari. :whistling:

The Pusherman
01-05-2010, 10:20
despite the fact that internet commandos believe the DW's are the greatest thing since sliced bread, i've not been impressed with the fit or machining quality of any DW's i've looked at in local guns shops. don't think they are worth what they cost now, certainly wouldn't pay even more for one.

willis68
01-05-2010, 10:31
With the economy in the tank I think it is a bad move. Then again I am not a CFO for a gun company. It takes a lot of work and money to transform a Chevy image into a Ferrari. :whistling:

I agree 100%, I will stick with Les Baer, Ed Brown

GVFlyer
01-05-2010, 12:40
If you are a premium branded product or company, like for instance Gulfstream jets, you can get away with uptown pricing. Dan Wesson, on the other hand, is known for revolvers with changeable barrels, sometimes spotty quality, financial difficulties and multiple ownership. Market demand was created in the short term by a perception that the pistol was available at a discount to (quality) content. With their new pricing this is no longer the case.

Their reduction in the current catalog also reminds me that CZ could drop the line entirely if it becomes unprofitable or inconvenient to produce without adversely affecting their core business.

Cobra64
01-05-2010, 13:07
If you are a premium branded product or company, like for instance Gulfstream jets, you can get away with uptown pricing. Dan Wesson, on the other hand, is known for revolvers with changeable barrels, sometimes spotty quality, financial difficulties and multiple ownership. Market demand was created in the short term by a perception that the pistol was available at a discount to (quality) content. With their new pricing this is no longer the case.

Their reduction in the current catalog also reminds me that CZ could drop the line entirely if it becomes unprofitable or inconvenient to produce without adversely affecting their core business.

I see two things areas causing DW to raise their prices.

1) New business model increasing efficiencies and profitability, as I explained above
2) Upgrading parts quality

Free market forces will determine whether they've made the right moves.

MD357
01-05-2010, 13:40

Excellent point, but I think CZ wants to be part of the 1911 market.

GVFlyer
01-05-2010, 13:59
I see two things areas causing DW to raise their prices.

1) New business model increasing efficiencies and profitability, as I explained above
2) Upgrading parts quality

Free market forces will determine whether they've made the right moves.

At the microeconomic level, where people and businesses make decisions regarding the allocation of resources considering the prices of goods and services, I've already made my decision. While I was once considering purchasing a Dan Wesson Firearm, I made a valuation decision and now will not buy their product.

Instead, I will purchase my next 1911 from an already branded firearms manufacturer where their core competency is the production of semi-custom/custom 1911 pattern guns whose product is available at the same price point. It was Dan Wesson's price differentiation that made me consider them in the first place.

Cobra64
01-05-2010, 14:18
At the microeconomic level, where people and businesses make decisions regarding the allocation of resources considering the prices of goods and services, I've already made my decision. While I was once considering purchasing a Dan Wesson Firearm, I made a valuation decision and now will not buy their product.

Instead, I will purchase my next 1911 from an already branded firearms manufacturer where their core competency is the production of semi-custom/custom 1911 pattern guns whose product is available at the same price point. It was Dan Wesson's price differentiation that made me consider them in the first place.

As I said, "Free market forces will determine whether they've made the right moves," and Dan Wesson's strategy has lost you as a customer.

GVFlyer
01-05-2010, 14:48
...and many others judging from comments here. I agree that market forces will determine the economic destiny of CZ's Dan Wesson product line. I'm not so sure that I concur with your assessment that the firearms market in the US is a "Free Market". A free market is a market system that is not burdened by regulation and government intervention except to regulate against fraud or force.

It is my observation that there is pervasive onerous regulation and unbridled government intervention in America's firearms industry.

Cobra64
01-05-2010, 14:55
...and many others judging from comments here. I agree that market forces will determine the economic destiny of CZ's Dan Wesson product line. I'm not so sure that I concur with your assessment that the firearms market in the US is a "Free Market". A free market is a market system that is not burdened by regulation and government intervention except to regulate against fraud or force.

It is my observation that there is pervasive onerous regulation and unbridled government intervention in America's firearms industry.

Touche! You win! :thumbsup: :)

Quack
01-05-2010, 16:11
Touche! You win! :thumbsup: :)

BOOOO!!!!

i just made some :popcorn:, so i wanted more arguing with GVFlyer :rofl:

Cobra64
01-05-2010, 16:58
BOOOO!!!!

i just made some :popcorn:, so i wanted more arguing with GVFlyer :rofl:

Sorry to disappoint you buddy, but I hit my perceived point of diminishing returns in the discussion with GVFlyer.

http://www.uxmatters.com/mt/archives/2009/02/images/graph4b_reduced.jpg

Quack
01-05-2010, 17:01
that's ok, it's almost dinner time

GVFlyer
01-05-2010, 17:18
__;)__

jsanti13
01-05-2010, 17:51
I think that the firearms buisness runs opposite of the ecconomy.
When the general ecconomy is good everyone is hard working and very little free time for hobbies or hunting.

When the general ecconomy is crap people have a whole lot of free time to shoot and hunt.

With the grim looking ecconomy, they may have 20 - 25 years of making easy money hand over fist.
It may be a good move if they don't price themselves out of the market.
As stated earlier by someone else, I'll stick with my Les Baers.

Cobra64
01-05-2010, 18:19
I think that the firearms buisness runs opposite of the ecconomy.
When the general ecconomy is good everyone is hard working and very little free time for hobbies or hunting.

When the general ecconomy is crap people have a whole lot of free time to shoot and hunt.

With the grim looking ecconomy, they may have 20 - 25 years of making easy money hand over fist.
It may be a good move if they don't price themselves out of the market.
As stated earlier by someone else, I'll stick with my Les Baers.All good points. A year ago was a good time for ordering my custom bobtailed Valor, with ambi-safety and custom grips.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/1911/Marks%20Valor/Left14.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/1911/Marks%20Valor/Grip06.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/1911/Marks%20Valor/Grip03.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/1911/Marks%20Valor/Right06.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/1911/Marks%20Valor/Logo02.jpg