Remington model 870 review part two. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remington model 870 review part two.

OVERTHEHILLGUY
01-03-2010, 18:10
On 20 Nov. 2009 I wrote a review on my then new Remington model 870HD.since then i have shot 300 rounds of various ammo thru her.

.......................................................NEW COMMENTS..........................................................................................

1. She is a "kicker". I shot a Remington model 1100 12 gauge for almost 40 years shooting NSSA skeet. Many weekends I would shoot 100-200 rounds . no problem. never noticed the recoil. Remington 870 even with light target loads bothers me so much that I am starting to flinch.

2. The stock is a Little long for me. The length of pull is 13 5/8 inch with the so-called recoil pad. More on the recoil pad later. I thought about having the stock shortened and a Limbsaver pad installed.
Any comments about the "LIMBSAVER PAD?

3. Recoil pad, factory. What a laugh, it is so hard that Remington could have installed a steel butt plate with the same effect.

4. Looking back, I wish I had purchased a Remington 1100 police model.

OVERTHEHILLGUY

silversport
01-03-2010, 21:17
people that have tried the Limbsaver pad love it...I opted for the Remington SuperCell and found it a HUGE difference over the brown rubber pad that came with my Wingmaster...good luck with your choice...either of these are worth the price of admission...
Bill

silversport
01-03-2010, 21:19
I think aippi likes the Limbsaver/R3 pad and dasanni19 prefered the SuperCell (due to some grabbing of his shirt material with the R3)...I can tell you I thought the change was huge...
Bill

OVERTHEHILLGUY
01-04-2010, 18:11
I ordered a Limbsaver recoil pad for my Remington 870HD today. I should get it in the mail in a couple of days. When the weather gets warmer here in Indianapolis, In. (current temp=+10 degrees) I will take it for a test drive with various types of ammo . I will then give you a honest opinion on how well the pad works. :fred:OVERTHEHILLGUY:fred:

marlinfan
01-04-2010, 19:25
If the Limbsaver pad doesn't work and you still want to keep tweaking your 870, take a look at the knoxx spec ops recoil reducing stock. It really works as advertised.

Jager1
01-08-2010, 16:17
knoxx spec ops recoil reducing stock

This IS what you are looking for, OvertheHillguy.

Marlinfan knows what he's talking about.

You can shorten or lengthen up the stock length easlily and the recoil reduction is very nice.

crunchless
01-14-2010, 09:34
This IS what you are looking for, OvertheHillguy.

Marlinfan knows what he's talking about.

You can shorten or lengthen up the stock length easlily and the recoil reduction is very nice.

I have the 870P and also bought the Knox Spec Ops stock -- I have yet to shoot it, but one of the main reasons (apart from the shock absorption) was to reduce the length of pull -- the standard stock I got was definnitely too long for me, so I have the Knox set to the shortest setting and it's easy to shoulder without committing unnatural acts to avoid my armpit/shirt.