Removing lead from a barrel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Removing lead from a barrel

AZson
01-03-2010, 19:51
Whats your best technique for removing lead from a barrel?:headscratch:

fredj338
01-03-2010, 21:04
Easiest, get some CHoreBoy copper wool. Wrap some around an old bronze bore brush. Put a patch of Kroil or bore solvent into the bbl first then start scrubbing w/ the copper wool. Won't hurt the bbl & pulls the lead out in 3-4 passes, 7-8 if it's really bad. Follow w/ an oiled patch, done.

Boxerglocker
01-03-2010, 21:41
Easiest, get some CHoreBoy copper wool. Wrap some around an old bronze bore brush. Put a patch of Kroil or bore solvent into the bbl first then start scrubbing w/ the copper wool. Won't hurt the bbl & pulls the lead out in 3-4 passes, 7-8 if it's really bad. Follow w/ an oiled patch, done.

Works like a charm! :supergrin:

sig357fan
01-03-2010, 21:41
^^^^^^ what he said^^^^^^:thumbsup:

DustyJacket
01-03-2010, 22:24
Lewis Lead Remover, if you don't like chemicals.

PCJim
01-03-2010, 22:59
What Fred said. You can do this without the solvent to remove the lead first, then clean as normal. Be sure the Chore Boy scouring pad that you get is all copper and not copper-plated steel. Check it with a magnet.

dudel
01-04-2010, 03:44
Whats your best technique for removing lead from a barrel?:headscratch:

For really leaded barrels, Outers Foul-out.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=243419

Clean down to the atom level.

Jumper
01-04-2010, 05:09

I have one and I don't recommend it. Its messy, usually requires several do-overs and there is nothing easy about it.

Uncle Don
01-04-2010, 06:44
It's controversial - but a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar is supposed to remove lead pronto. However, I have also heard that left too long, it' not good on the bbl. I haven't tried it to know.

Not sure what the truth is, but I tend to try and avoid by using alox with lead bullets. Granted, it's slightly smokier, but my bbl is always mirror clean.

Hoser
01-04-2010, 08:47
Shoot jacketed...

Patrick Graham
01-04-2010, 08:48
All of the above plus if the leading is real bad a guy should probably look into the cause.

CA Coach
01-04-2010, 09:28

I have one too, and I think it works great. No lead when it's done with no scrubbing the barrel needed.

fredj338
01-04-2010, 13:16
Lewis Lead Remover, if you don't like chemicals.
You still need solvent to remove carbon & if applyed first, it helps loosen the lead for easier/faster removal. I like the Foul out, but I can clean my bbl in the time it takes to set the Foul Out up. The LLR is good, but still needs solvent to clean the carbon out & you have to buy those stupid llittle brassmesh screens. One box of ChoreBoy for like $2 will last you at least 5yrs of cleaning.
Shooting jacketed, well. that's just cheating, not to mention way more expensive.:tongueout:

dudel
01-04-2010, 14:22
I have one and I don't recommend it. Its messy, usually requires several do-overs and there is nothing easy about it.

No problem with mine. Plug the barrel, stand it up, insert the rod w/orings, fill the barrel, hook it up and run. I use the same time as I do on the tumbler. After an hour or so, the rod is plated with lead or copper.

Disconnect, remove from stand, drain, remove plug, run dry patch, run patch with lube and done. I know I should degrease the barrel first, but it hasn't made much difference for me, so I don't.

I don't use it for all cleaning, but when a barrel gets leaded from trying new casting metal or loads, it works great.

For me, the key was to fill it when the rod was in place. If you fill the barrel, then put the rod in, you displace some of the liquid. That's messy. I also tend to use the smallest orings supplied. It lets the liquid get down quicker.

Otherwise, it's cleaner than foaming bore cleaner.

It's also fun to do to a friend's barrel after he thought it was "clean".

rickyc2
01-04-2010, 14:25
You should not be shooting lead bullets in a Glock... Taboo:crying:

Jumper
01-05-2010, 05:09
Ref the Outers Foul Out: To be fair I never used it on my pistol barrel, only my deer rifle. I suspect being able to remove the barrel from the firearm would make it easier. Cleaning the rifle it was impossible to keep the solution off the wood or from getting in to the action.

frankmako
01-05-2010, 05:58
lewis lead remover works for me.

unclebob
01-05-2010, 09:04
It's controversial - but a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar is supposed to remove lead pronto. However, I have also heard that left too long, it' not good on the bbl. I haven't tried it to know.

Not sure what the truth is, but I tend to try and avoid by using alox with lead bullets. Granted, it's slightly smokier, but my bbl is always mirror clean.

That should only be used on Glock and stainless steel barrels only. You only use it for no more than 5 minutes and then rinse if off in water.

dudel
01-05-2010, 09:12
Ref the Outers Foul Out: To be fair I never used it on my pistol barrel, only my deer rifle. I suspect being able to remove the barrel from the firearm would make it easier. Cleaning the rifle it was impossible to keep the solution off the wood or from getting in to the action.

I can certainly see how it would be harder to use in the circumstances you mention.

Don

Uncle Don
01-05-2010, 09:18

If I couldn't shoot lead in my Glock, I wouldn't shoot it. If you coat with alox, they won't burn and that is what leaves the lead. Granted, it's a smokey load but the trade off of never having even a trace of lead in the bbl is worth it to me. So far, 6k of lead through the G21 and about 1k through my 36. I do use jacketed only in the .357 sig but I'm not afraid to use lead in a 9 or 40 given the same treatment.

I know what Glock says - but they also say not to use reloads at all. At the last armors re-cert, I privately asked the instructor and he said that even though my procedure is "acceptable", Glock will stick with their policy simply because they can't control how people would use lead projectiles and under the wrong circumstances, it can and does leave lead traces - and therefore reduces bore diameter and in turn, pressure increases. I asked privately because I didn't want to put him on the spot, but after lunch, he reiterated the same thing to the class.

Just for fun, last time I had Ben from Glockmeister on the phone, I hit him up about it too - he said the same thing the Glock instructor did. BTW, HK uses the same boring and that doesn't seem to be an issue for people.

As a last note though - I'm not recommending, I'm simply stating what has worked for me for years.

PBKing
01-05-2010, 09:38

An errornet myth.

Of course bore condition notwithstanding, finding the right fit, alloy, lube and powder combo to avoid leading is not that hard. Just some experimentation and development. All of my problems with leading in the past have been either poor bullet/bore fit and/or too hard cast bullets.
I also have notice that the Alox seems protect the base from cutting/leading as opposed to lube only in the groove.

But if worse comes to worse I wip out the Copper Chreboy.....Dont be fooled by imitators with copper plated steel scrubbers, bring a magnet

srd
01-05-2010, 19:18
Years ago we used to plug the end of the barrel and put mercury in it. Leave it over night and the next day pour it into a plastic container. Run a brush down the barrel and ALL the lead was gone. The mercury was reusable over and over. Now...mercury poisoning is a problem. Chore boy..scrubbing or whatever you find is the answer now.

Alchemy
01-05-2010, 19:32
Years ago we used to plug the end of the barrel and put mercury in it. Leave it over night and the next day pour it into a plastic container. Run a brush down the barrel and ALL the lead was gone. The mercury was reusable over and over. Now...mercury poisoning is a problem. Chore boy..scrubbing or whatever you find is the answer now.

srd, years ago I had an old gunsmith that tuned actions for me.
He had a large bottle of mercury that he had been using for
just the same thing.

You would probably get your pee pee whacked today if caught
doing that now :dunno: