Advantage Tactical or Speed Sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Advantage Tactical or Speed Sights

southsnow
01-03-2010, 22:03
I have been thinking about getting some new sights. I have rapidly aging eyes, and have difficulty keeping focus on the front sight. I have tried the XS big dots, but don't find them as accurate as I would like at more than 10 yards. I have been thinking about a triangle system and have been looking at the Advantage Tacticals or the Speed Sights. I really like the idea of a sight that can be reasonably accurate while using "secondary focus."

Any tried both/either of these?

I have read the Suresight thread. I'm sorry for anyone who was taken advantage of.

dkbrucedvm
01-04-2010, 13:26
I switched from the stock sights to the ATS system (white front, green rear) for the same reasons. Though I have worn glasses since I was a teenager, once I hit mid-40's, my focus and visual acuity really went downhill.

They take some getting used to. Once I got the hang of them, though, I found a remarkable increase in accuracy with the new sights with no loss of speed in target acquisition. My wife was less impressed, but still found them easier to use. I wish they came in a night-sight version.

I have to say I was amused by the windage adjustment instructions. You scribe a pencil line on the slide and sight, and use that as a reference mark. The instructions note, "One pencil line thickness equals approximately 1/4" at 25 yards." Yeah, that's just what I was thinking - "It's pretty accurate out to 20 yards, but at 25 it shoots a good 1/4" to the left...":rofl:

southsnow
01-04-2010, 13:35
Thanks for the info. The description of the "shim" procedure seemd a little vague.
Another question: are the sights as huge as they look?

Ghost Tracker
01-04-2010, 13:52
I've recognised the same "old eyes" issue & have discovered that thinner front blades with wider rear notches (IMHO) are a great, yet more "conventional", solution. The increased light (space) along both sides of the front blade make finding & focusing my sight picture much easier. But, unlike Big Dots or a Triangle set-up, it didn't require me to learn a whole new alignment method. My speed (split-time) is improved while my scores stayed steady. Just an idea!

ipscshooter
01-04-2010, 14:08
I agree with Ghost Tracker. I like to stick to what I'm used to, notch and post, so I use Heinie sights.

He has "Qwik" and "50+" sights.

I have been using Heinie "Race Cut" rear and Dawson fiber for front, which are basically the "50+", I think, for competition. Nice set up for day time use.

I just got a set of Straight 8 Night sights in the "Qwik" flavor for my house gun. Nice set up, as well.

Works for me, now. Who knows in a few years. I may just resort to point shooting. :supergrin:

Ghost Tracker
01-04-2010, 15:58
I may just resort to point shooting. Yep, but maybe by then, Heine will have a "Braille" set-up!

southsnow
01-04-2010, 18:17
Yep, but maybe by then, Heine will have a "Braille" set-up! :rofl:

The Speed Sights seem more similar to a traditional notch and post.

In regards to the Heine 50+, any thoughts in comparison with Sevigny's or Warren Tactical's?

dkbrucedvm
01-05-2010, 06:30
Thanks for the info. The description of the "shim" procedure seemd a little vague.

The shims sit under the front sight. You adjust elevation by adding or removing shims to suit. The instructions mention a laminated shim, but the kit I got just had 4 individual pieces. It's a pain, particularly trying to get the shims, front sight, and base all aligned so you can put the teeny bolt through the hole in the bottom of the slide channel - it took me a few tries to get the stupid thing threaded in. The good news is that you only have to do it a few times, then you leave it alone.

Another question: are the sights as huge as they look?

Yep. I'll try to get a picture of them installed on my 19 this afternoon. But they don't snag on anything, and my 19 fits into my MTAC fine with them installed.

ipscshooter
01-05-2010, 11:29
:rofl:

The Speed Sights seem more similar to a traditional notch and post.

In regards to the Heine 50+, any thoughts in comparison with Sevigny's or Warren Tactical's?

Agree. I would likely pick the Speed Sights over the others. However, they seem to accomplish the same thing as wider rear notch and thin front blade, i.e. more light around the front sight. Although the colors likely would help some folks. I find them way too busy.

Warren?Sevigny's are a lot like the Heinie "QWIK" or "50+" except the rear on the Warren is .150 notch and Heinie is .156. Not a big deal. Not sure of the front sight blade on Heinie, but I've used Heinie's for years and like them.

One might make the argument that the Warren shape on the rear gives you more of a view of the target. Can't see that mattering too much except on long shots at a specific distance.

6Gunner
01-05-2010, 13:55
I have been thinking about getting some new sights. I have rapidly aging eyes, and have difficulty keeping focus on the front sight. I have tried the XS big dots, but don't find them as accurate as I would like at more than 10 yards. I have been thinking about a triangle system and have been looking at the Advantage Tacticals or the Speed Sights. I really like the idea of a sight that can be reasonably accurate while using "secondary focus."

Any tried both/either of these?

I have read the Suresight thread. I'm sorry for anyone who was taken advantage of.

I've been using the Advantage Tactical sights as my primary EDC sight for quite awhile now and am a convert to that system. I don't even have "old eye syndrome" (yet) and I find them much faster to acquire than conventional notch and post. They ARE different and sometimes they take getting used to; but they are a VERY instinctive system. It's actually a better system for beginners than notch-n-post. I'd worked with them some and not been real excited about them until I tried the green on green inserts. Suddenly it was like having a reflex sight on my pistol. Just point the pyramid and the bullet hits at the point. VERY fast and very accurate. Much faster than any other sighting arrangement I've ever experimented with; especially when transitioning from one target to another, yet still precise when taking shots at long range. Best sighting system for a combat pistol out there IMHO.

southsnow
01-05-2010, 22:27
I am going to try the Speed sights. Mostly due to their good return policy. I will post a report after a suitable trial.

ipscshooter
01-06-2010, 11:28
I am going to try the Speed sights. Mostly due to their good return policy. I will post a report after a suitable trial.

I look forward to your report.

My eyes get older by the day.:supergrin:

southsnow
01-13-2010, 21:55
First range report on the Speed Sights:

Put them on the G26. Very easy installation (and I'm no gunsmith).

Put 200 rounds through, mostly combat/IDPA style drills.

As I mentioned before, I have tried the XS sights, and while they are extremely fast, accuracy over 10 yards is not ideal. I would say that due to the Speed Sights very low profile rear sight and wide notch, the Speed Sights are at least as fast as the XS. I like to use "secondary focus" particularly when transitioning between targets, and I find the Speed sights to be very easy to do this with. The sharp "tip" of the triangle certainly adds a feeling of precision at 15-25 yards, though in all honesty, I'm not sure my groups were very much better than with the XS. Again this is rapid fire, IDPA style drills. Probably more to do with the shooter than the sights.

The place where they shine is that transition zone around 10 yards where with the XS you're not sure whether to use a 6-o'clock hold or cover the desired POI. The Speed Sights are consistent throughout.

One last thing. They are not night sights, but the lighter colors are amazingly visible with minimal light. They can be seen with a room with a nightlight on only.

So far I have been using white rears with green front.

I did break down and order some Advantage Tacticals as well, and I will report back after I get a chance to try those out.

ipscshooter
01-14-2010, 11:39
Thanks for the report. Are they easier to pick up than notch and post? Can you install colored front and black on rear? The multiple triangles, much like 3-dot or stock Glock sights seem too busy to me.

TerryG34
01-14-2010, 17:25
I have three sets on different Glocks and been using them for over three years in USPSA, IDPA and GSSF.
I can recommend them without reservation. Everyone I have let use them was impressed with their visibility and contrast. Including NRA Basic Pistol students who seem to have no problem understanding the comcept.
The ATS sights are as accurate as the person pulling the trigger and I would rather see 2/3's of the target with ATS than 1/2 as with classic notch and post. As long as you have a little background light their size and shape allow use in low light conditions that would not work with classic sights.
If you are shooting NRA slow-fire take your pick but for shooting fast I think bigger is better.

Terry

southsnow
01-14-2010, 17:43
Thanks for the report. Are they easier to pick up than notch and post? Can you install colored front and black on rear? The multiple triangles, much like 3-dot or stock Glock sights seem too busy to me.

Definitely easier to pick up compared with traditional sights. I haven't tried a low pprofile wide rear notch like the sevigny's. You could leave out the rear inserts, but I think you would lose some accuracy and with different color choices it isn't too distracting. Much better than 3-dot sights.

southsnow
03-15-2010, 19:11
Follow up post:

After trying out the Speed Sights, Advantage Tacticals, and Ameriglo Pro Operators (.150 width rear notch, yellow rear tritium, no white outline on the rear, narrow blade front with green tritium outlined in white) I have to say, the Ameriglo's are where it's at. The wide notch with narrow front lets me pick up the front sight fast, and has the precision for longer shots as well.
I love how in daylight, the rears are just black, so the front white outline jumps out, and at night the smaller yellow rears don't confuse. They are very bright.

The only issue is they were devilish to drift in, requiring a good bit of filing. The ATS rear is much better with the set screw on that front.