VIDEO - CorBon PowRBall 9mm 100 gr with denim [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO - CorBon PowRBall 9mm 100 gr with denim

TWS G26
01-03-2010, 22:07
Here's a test of the CorBon 9mm PowRBall in 100 grain, using 4 layers of denim over wet newspaper jugs. A big "thank you" to GT's KingLamoni for providing the ammo; he gets a shout-out during the video.

I show the fragments at the end of video, including the polymer ball. Also, notice during the shot that I had a fragment fly off upon impact and into the lower left corner of my backstop. It is very evident during the slow-motion segment at the 2:46 mark. I went through the backstop (catalogs and paper), but did not find anything. There is a clean 9mm-sized hole in the box/backstop, so I don't know WTH it was, as I thought I accounted for all the pieces.

Finally, check out the link in the video description itself, as you can view a ballistic gel video of this cartridge at the CorBon YouTube channel.

Video here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/tnoutdoors9#p/c/BDB9A9740F47C67A/3/kNqhB34UXeY

17z
01-03-2010, 23:24
TWSG26,have you tried out the new Hornady Civilian 9mm round yet???? I got the 115 grain one and it does pretty well in my G17 and 19. opens up like it is suppose to. I have it loaded in my G26 as I type. 17z

TWS G26
01-03-2010, 23:57
TWSG26,have you tried out the new Hornady Civilian 9mm round yet???? I got the 115 grain one and it does pretty well in my G17 and 19. opens up like it is suppose to. I have it loaded in my G26 as I type. 17z

I think you also posted on the YT channel, but I do have some 115 gr Critical Defense that will be tested once we get out of this deep freeze in Nashville.

carbofan21
01-04-2010, 02:58
this round did a little better than i thought it would, but i can't say i would choose it over any decent JHP. it's already a light load at 100 grains, and they are known for shedding their jackets. considering most 9mm pistols are sighted-in for loads in the 124 grain range, these probably shoot well below point-of-aim..

IndyGunFreak
01-04-2010, 03:23
Well done... not really a surprise to me. Fragmentation seems to be a common trait among Corbon ammo (at least the ones I've saw).

Glock-it-to-me
01-04-2010, 03:45
I've gotta do a test like that on my .357 SIG 115gr JHP CorBon's. They claim 1500fps.

glocksterr
01-04-2010, 06:51
good test!

JMHO, i wouldnt be supprised if the core and jacket didnt seperate untill they hit the back wall of the jug. i have seen the core/jacket loose but still one mass before and speculate they would have likely remained that way in a living target. seems most severe corejacket seperation will cause fragmentation, not just looseness.

i would use it over FMJ or if i had a gun with feed issues but...

triggerjerk
01-04-2010, 08:56
Nice as always.

Have you considered doing .223/5.56 testing?

TWS G26
01-04-2010, 19:29
Nice as always.

Have you considered doing .223/5.56 testing?

Posted a test last summer with the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip, and a handful of videos last month with the NATO green tip and steel. There will be several .223/5.56 tests this year. Channel URL is in my sig line.

Police Marksman
01-04-2010, 19:44
TWS G26

Another Great Video!

Are you still planning on doing another test with the 124 +P Gold Dot through the layers of denim?

CanyonMan
01-04-2010, 20:21
Had a good friend that worked for Corbon a few years back, he's moved on now, smart guy. Anyway. I called him one day from the ranch here and said "Hey hoss got something to show ya and tell ya...." I shot one of your powerball's into the tailgate of and old pick up out here, from a G27. It barely left a mark the size of a PEA. It exploded into powder like a dirt clod. Exactly like a dirt clod. In fact. If i had been shot in the leg with 'THIS' round I would have went back to the house with nothing more than a real bad bruise.

He had me send the remaining box back to them, and said they could not find a problem. I understand, but I have never shot another PB. Never will, NOT just because of that. I do not like bullets with shallow penetration and frag on top of that.

When will we understand that penetration is not a nasty word. Designer bullets are like designer clothes on some women. They may look great on the outside, but WHOA, after the layers are peeled off, no thanks !

Just my experience with PB and, BTW, not just this once either. We try and shoot a lot of lead out here, and have been since about 1962 Yeah, 1962. WE shoot a lot of guns and a lot of bullets. Personally I do not shoot to much factory stuff any more, at least for the last 5 or 6 years. Some of the other old boys here (on the ranch) do that, and some friends of mine 'in the firearms/ammo industry do as well. But I do test some factory fodder on occasion. But this PB I would not recommend.

All IMO and in my experience. I ain't trying to sell anything, or convince anyone. ;)

Good shooting

CanyonMan

TWS G26
01-04-2010, 21:31
TWS G26

Another Great Video!

Are you still planning on doing another test with the 124 +P Gold Dot through the layers of denim?

Yes, plus the 147 gr Gold Dot, HST's and anything else that was pre-denim. Those videos will be very short and should follow after three new rounds that I hope to test within a few weeks. I'm at the point where I need to buy some cheap blue jeans, or just straight denim cloth, as I'm just about out of old holy jeans for these tests. Or I could use my wife's clothes. :embarassed:

Berto
01-06-2010, 18:18
Interesting videos, as usual. Thanks for doing it.
I've tried the 165gr Powerball .45acp in a model 625 S@W...same deal, impressive early penetration damage channel, jacket/core separation.
I still (also) prefer heavy-ish weight bullets for caliber.