Confused! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Confused!

pal2511
01-03-2010, 23:28
I want to buy collapsable stock for my A2 style stock that I have right now.

Its a standard Bushmaster that is about 4 or 5 years old maybe with a removable handle. Do I need one of those "kits" or what?

blaster_54738
01-04-2010, 01:37
yes a stock kit is what you'll need. it will come with a stock, buffer tube, new buffer spring, new buffer, castle nut and end plate

pal2511
01-04-2010, 02:20
How do I tell if I have a mil spec or commercial stock

blaster_54738
01-04-2010, 02:32
read this, it may help you

http://www.ar15pro.net/2008/09/milspec-buffer-tubes-vs-commercial.html

RMTactical
01-04-2010, 02:56
All you need is a complete buttstock assembly.

pal2511
01-04-2010, 05:50
Thanks but that webpage is still somewhat confusing....

I am not sure exactly what the MAJOR difference is besides "the commercial is slightly more slanted"...

faawrenchbndr
01-04-2010, 06:00
Thanks but that webpage is still somewhat confusing....

I am not sure exactly what the MAJOR difference is besides "the commercial is slightly more slanted"...

The major differance, other than the angles rear of the tube,
is the tube's outside diameter.

RMTactical
01-04-2010, 13:28
The major differance, other than the angles rear of the tube,
is the tube's outside diameter.

Exactly. Different material, different diameter, different design.

The best way to tell if you you have a milspec tube or not though just by looking at it would be if the back is slanted. Also, by the manufacturer.

lawman800
01-04-2010, 23:11
Don't worry about milspec or commercial, at this point, you have NEITHER. You have the A2 RIFLE buffer tube. You need to get a complete CARBINE kit which comes with the carbine tube, at which point, you choose either a milspec or commercial CARBINE tube. The two tubes are not interchangeable due to overall length, shape, and the carbine tube has holes for the collapsible positions on the underside.

As for the sizing, the diameter of the two are different and the only time that matters is when you are changing out the actual collapsible stock itself, not the tube. If you want the CTR or UBR or whatever different stock to put on the tube, you have to make sure which tube you have or else it either won't fit or it's going to be loose.

Forgot which is which but the difference is a few hundredth of an inch in diameter. Google it, you'll find the answers easily enough.