These reloads OK for a G23? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : These reloads OK for a G23?

Paddy
01-04-2010, 05:06
They're my first reloads, I loaded them with 4.5 grains of Hodgdon HP 38 powder, 180 gr JHP bullets, CCI primers and store bought brass, due to the fact that brass from Glocks are bulged a lot (loose and unsupported chamber), so they weaken a lot with resizing. The book suggests 4.7 grains, but I wanted to go low to be on the safe side.

Does this all look like it checks out?

IndyGunFreak
01-04-2010, 06:08
They're my first reloads, I loaded them with 4.5 grains of Hodgdon HP 38 powder, 180 gr JHP bullets, CCI primers and store bought brass, due to the fact that brass from Glocks are bulged a lot (loose and unsupported chamber), so they weaken a lot with resizing. The book suggests 4.7 grains, but I wanted to go low to be on the safe side.

I wouldn't really recommend "undercharging" what the book says, but if the book says 4.7... it should be ok.. provided your OAL is right, etc..

Unless your 23 is really old, the newer barrels typically have far better support than older ones.

IGF

bno762
01-04-2010, 06:15
due to the fact that brass from Glocks are bulged a lot (loose and unsupported chamber),
Have you verified this yet? Most of my 40 brass is from either a sub2k or a g22 and I can't tell the difference in the brass except for the shape of the firing pin indention on the primer. There are cases (usually with older g22's) of the brass getting a bulge at the bottom of the case but I believe there are other factors involved.

Colorado4Wheel
01-04-2010, 09:02

I'll take all that old, weak Glock brass off your hands.

Boxerglocker
01-04-2010, 10:12
I'll take all that old, weak Glock brass off your hands.

I'll take second bibs on the brass!!!! :whistling:

Seriously the Glock buldged brass thing is :deadhorse: these days with later barrrels. Like the others say use a finished case check gauge, don't undercharge and watch your OAL.

Paddy
01-05-2010, 20:45
I used to have an older Gen 3 G22. This is where the majority of my brass is from, and I notice a decent bulge in one spot of the case. It bulges out pretty quick where the hollow inside actually starts. I have about 50 cases saved from my new G23 and they're not bulged nearly as much. I'm learning to reload from a guy at my church that's been doing it for years. He loaded some .40 to normal spec from his book and the guy that used them ended up with a kB after 3 rounds, thus the reason for me underloading a little.

Colorado4Wheel
01-05-2010, 20:56
Causal Relationships are not that easily established. Many, Many things could have caused his KB. Bulged and resized brass is pretty low on the list. For one, using your example. You would need to size a piece of brass with a horrible weak spot at 6:00 on the brass. You would then have to load that brass into his gun with the weak spot at 6:00 again. You would do this blindfolded with only 3 tries. That assumes that a normal charge would even blow it out at that spot. Also very, very, very unlikely.

Paddy
01-05-2010, 20:59
Alright, I'll be heading to the range then. I know that kB's don't occur all too often, but I just don't wanna be one more of those stories.

Colorado4Wheel
01-05-2010, 21:08
You asked the wrong question. You never even gave a complete recipe for the load you loaded. If you are asking "Are these safe" and you don't even give all the details about the load. How good of a response to that question do you think you got?

fredj338
01-05-2010, 23:43

Like C4W said, you really haven't given all the info needed to give you a valid answer. What 180grJHP, what OAL? It does matter. It would be nearly impossible for someone to KB a gun w/ proper "book" loads. There would have to be an error made somewhere. Like flying, most accidents are pilot error. Your load could be completely "safe" if the OAL is correct. They may not give good functioning as you are below some starting load data. Starting loads for semiautos rarely give 100% reliable functioning (Lyman 5gr, Hogdon 4.1gr-avg 4.5gr). IT's always best to avg. data from as many sources as you can. Load no more than 10rds for testing. You can go up or down 0.1gr & test there too, shoot them in order of powder charge lowest to highest.

shotgunred
01-06-2010, 06:05
Amusing you made them ok yes.
4.5 grains of Hodgdon HP 38 is in the middle of the load data.
They should function fine I use a lot less in my IDPA load.
After you have shot them you might want to bracket them either way and find the most accurate load.