Lee Loader 12 gauge - resize brass hull necessary? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lee Loader 12 gauge - resize brass hull necessary?

bigmahi22
01-04-2010, 16:36
I just got a old lee loader "kits" from a friend, it basically allows you to de prime, prime, crimp. The thing is it does not come with a die/part to resize the hull. I plan to primarily melt/reload slugs and recently replaced the extractors on my mossberg 500. Is a brass resizer necessary? (meaning is this kit alone enough to do the job) or should I plunk down $50 for a lee load all ?

Thanks in advance.

fredj338
01-04-2010, 17:27
I just got a old lee loader "kits" from a friend, it basically allows you to de prime, prime, crimp. The thing is it does not come with a die/part to resize the hull. I plan to primarily melt/reload slugs and recently replaced the extractors on my mossberg 500. Is a brass resizer necessary? (meaning is this kit alone enough to do the job) or should I plunk down $50 for a lee load all ?

Thanks in advance.
It will depend on the hull you use. Maybe, maybe not. If you are using high base hulls, probably, low base you are probably fine w/o sizing the brass.

bigmahi22
01-04-2010, 18:29
Thanks, I'll buy a few boxes of low base hulls and give it a few tries. One more related question, I also just got a lee loader for .308, is resizing the brass casing for the .308 necessary for medium-light loads? I have a Howa 1500 bolt action.

Glock2008
01-05-2010, 08:03
Thanks, I'll buy a few boxes of low base hulls and give it a few tries. One more related question, I also just got a lee loader for .308, is resizing the brass casing for the .308 necessary for medium-light loads? I have a Howa 1500 bolt action.

They have to at least be neck sized for a bolt action rifle.

dudel
01-05-2010, 09:21
They have to at least be neck sized for a bolt action rifle.

IIRC, that's all you can (and should) do with the Lee Loaders in rifle calibers.