Need help choosing... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing...

youngbuck
01-04-2010, 21:38
I am still less than a year into this new gun obsession in my short life span so I am playing catch up and need some help please

I have a Springfield XD .40, Glock 23, and a Sig Pro 2022 so far. I am pretty much just a home defense, cc, and range type of guy. Dont really wanna go hunt. I am trying to decide if I want to get another pistol or get a shotgun.

My choices so far have been a Mossberg 590A1 with a side saddle, pistol grip, and adjusting stock (not collapsable but am unsure of the technical term) and a different color finish (actual blue/black mix) for about $430.

I have also found a tactical Remington 870 pistol grip with a 10" barrel. Has a rail on top to add a red dot or whatever I would like. It is classified at the store as a Class III so the price is $700.

Was wondering if Benelli makes a pump version of thier M4? (Dont have $1500 to drop on this project right now)

I would like to put a tac light on it for sure. Just dont know much about how to weigh my options here. Any help would be appreciated.

Or option D just find another fun pistol at the upcoming gun show :supergrin:

MAX100
01-08-2010, 13:25
Keep it simple. Don't put a ton of money in a utility defense shotgun.

Rem 870, Moss 590A1 18.5" barrel and Hawk 982 all good choices.

GC

David Armstrong
01-09-2010, 12:12
I am trying to decide if I want to get another pistol or get a shotgun.
Don't buy the shotgun unless you are willing to put in the time and effort to learn how to use it well. That is my biggest complaint with many, they just buy the gun and then never really learn how to use it. Just about anyone can use a shotgun, but very few can use a shotgun anywhere close to its potential.

Dr. J Frame
01-09-2010, 13:54
I am trying to decide if I want to get another pistol or get a shotgun.

I have a Springfield XD .40, Glock 23, and a Sig Pro 2022
Survival/preparedness forums will nearly always recommend, if limited to just 2, that a person have a dependable handgun and long-gun. I think the same way. I would recommend the shotgun and ammo, with a case(250rnds) set aside for hard times. It is a powerful device with highly recorded stopping power. And even though a shotgun is considered a "close range" weapon(say under 125yds), a duty-sized handgun, in most hands, has even less range.

A basic pump shotgun with 18-20" barrel is usually my recommendation. And in this case, of topic, a rifle or carbine, since you listed none.

GlockPride
01-10-2010, 21:56
If you do the 870, I bet that there are more aftermarket parts and help with that one than all the others combined.

I would upgrade to the 870P as it appears that the finish quality and a couple of components are more rugged.

gnepig
01-11-2010, 00:42
Sounds like you are set for pistols for a minute, go for the shot gun next. Shot gun shells are plentiful and cheap and there rep for home defense is outstanding.

Then I would think about a rifle next.

Nutt51
01-11-2010, 09:25
www.budsgunshop.com (http://www.budsgunshop.com) has the 7 shot Remington 870 Express
back in stock for $328. and that includes the shipping price.

Go to J.D.'s page at www.aiptactical.com (http://www.aiptactical.com) and read up on the
870 and shotguns in general.

Forget the 10'' barrel gun.
Listen to the folk's here and get a good functional KISS gun if you are
going with a HD shotgun.
18 or 20 inch barrel, bead sight, fixed stock no pistol grips,
extension if wanted, 5 is good, but 7 is better.
Get a good quality solid shotgun with just the basics to learn with,
If you want to add extras to it later there a plenty of them out there.
All I added to mine was a Wilson 2 shot extension and a jumbo safety.
Good luck.