590 Sling mount [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 590 Sling mount

mdehoogh
01-05-2010, 16:25
Howdy all,

I recently got a Mossberg 590 that came with pistol grip only. It's not listed on the Mossberg website but its model 50667. I didn't necessarily want a PGO shotgun but it was a good price and I got a good trade-in value for a 92FS I had. Anywho, I thought I'd at least give the PG a try and while it is shootable (if that's even a word), it really starts to hurt your thumb/wrist after a while.

I got a Speedfeed stock from my brother-in-law for Christmas and just installed it yesterday. At this point, it looks exactly like this (I took the heat shield off though)
http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/50665.jpg
However, the stock I got didn't come with a sling mount or a hole drilled for one either and I'm wondering how I should install one. The pistol grip that came on the gun has a mount for the sling attachment and I thought about just unscrewing it and then drilling a small hole in the new stock in the same place as the picture above.

Before I got started I was wondering if any of you had any different suggestions. I've seen those slings that just wrap around the stock but I think I'd prefer one that connects to the small metal mount. One thing I've noticed with the sling mount on the front is that no matter how I screw it in, the hole in the mount isn't perpendicular to the rest of the gun. I don't have a sling for it yet but it seems like with the hole pointing at an angle, the sling would twist off to the side rather than go straight back.

Also, I was wondering if there were any mounts that, once installed, are allowed to rotate freely to compensate for a twisting sling.

Also also... any suggestions for a good sling? I had bought a "super sling 2" at Cabelas but it wasn't long and that was with the PG installed. I returned it for a refund and have yet to buy another one.

Wow, this post got longer than I thought, thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice you guys might have.. :cool:

Deputy206
01-08-2010, 07:21
If your going to drill a hole in your stock just make sure its a little smaller then the sling mount. IMHO I'd go with a collapsable stock. As far as slings go this is the one I put on my 590A1.

http://www.specopsbrand.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=73

faceplant
01-08-2010, 09:34
I have drilled a stock and put a sling stud on it. I have had no issues. Take the butt pad off and see if the area you want to place it is thick enough.